Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

I never even understood what was racist abut Jynx in the first place. When I first saw her I instantly thought that she was based off of those Icelandic Viking women types you often see in cartoons or some such; you know the ones like Space Mama from Rayman. I just don't get how merely changing her face to purple removes all this black referencing that was apparently there.

Black and white are colours, simple as that.

Well actually.............

Black is a lack of colour.

/smartarsemode

(White isn't as colour either)

Edited by SuperLink

When I first read the names I was just dumbfounded. After all the fancy-shmancy gems and metals and whatnot I wasn't expecting something so simple. I actually thought they were a little boring... but when I saw the logos I just said "fuck all of that, these are AWESOME". Really, very nice and sleek.

I'm definitely getting a big "reboot" vibe from them. Going back to colors, of course, and how black and white are so powerful as archetypes. I really can't wait to find out what improvements have been made to the gameplay.

Oh, and the naming stuff, that's retarded. Black and white are "colors" (hur dur technicalities), they always have been, and they always will be. They've always been representative of good and evil and they always will be. If anything I can see them being changed to Ebony and Ivory which I personally think are some great names.

Edited by Noir

I never even understood what was racist abut Jynx in the first place. When I first saw her I instantly thought that she was based off of those Icelandic Viking women types you often see in cartoons or some such; you know the ones like Space Mama from Rayman. I just don't get how merely changing her face to purple removes all this black referencing that was apparently there.

I think it was something to do with it's behaviour in the anime as well as the skin colour that caused the uproar.

Oh, and the naming stuff, that's retarded. Black and white are "colors" (hur dur technicalities), they always have been, and they always will be. They've always been representative of good and evil and they always will be. If anything I can see them being changed to Ebony and Ivory which I personally think are some great names.

Actually according to what I've been told in Japan the colours black and white aren't associated with good and evil. Apparently there black represents age and wisdom and white represents youth and naivety. If this is true then maybe the main legendaries could be based around that.

Actually according to what I've been told in Japan the colours black and white aren't associated with good and evil. Apparently there black represents age and wisdom and white represents youth and naivety. If this is true then maybe the main legendaries could be based around that.

That would actually be quite interesting... much less cliche too. I'd really be happy if they did that. Although my point was that in the west the colors are seen that way so it's nothing racist.

The remakes will be Street Black and Supreme White. Calling it now.

Also, loving the names Black and White. It's simple. I just hope there's enough different about these so that don't feel like Gen IV mk2.

That would actually be quite interesting... much less cliche too. I'd really be happy if they did that. Although my point was that in the west the colors are seen that way so it's nothing racist.

I'd definitely love to see more mythological nods in Pokémon. Something to make Pokémon more genuinely mysterious you know? Not just "in your face" stuff like "This Pokémon did this"

Although it is for kids. Stoopid kids, getting in the way of plot depth T_T

I'm fairly certain people will have absolutely no problem with the naming of the games. Any problems are either a horrific overreaction or a joke at the paranoid nature of western society.

EDIT: And yeah being too similar to Gen IV graphics or engine wise is my primary worry. Here's hoping we see some pics next week!

Edited by SuperLink

So what legendaries could they possibly have to outdo Arceus, the GOD of all Pokemon?

And it'd be hilarious if Darkrai was Pokemon Blacks mascot. XD

I hope there isn't going to be a "Light" type, >=(. Then again, maybe it'll influence the creators to make more dark type then to counter it, 8D. But still, no.

I'm excited though, and surprised. I jump on Sonic Stadium and BOOM. 8 pages of new Pogeymenz, X3. Really hoping for a proper wolf Pokemon, but I'd understand if there isn't too many canines since we have a bunch already. I just want something other than fire or dark type unless they add on the much needed Mightyena evolution. I can still dream for an ice type wolf Pokemon I guess lol.

Even though not technically colors, I hope this is kind of a shout back to Red and Blue. I mean this in how the Pokedex will be handled: about a 150 new Pokemon with not that many legendaries. They need to realize that if you make interesting enough regular Pokemon, you don't need a dozen legendaries in a generation. Also, it'll be cool beans if Zororak isn't a legendary and is on the box.

-Blur

Really hoping for a proper wolf Pokemon, but I'd understand if there isn't too many canines since we have a bunch already. I just want something other than fire or dark type unless they add on the much needed Mightyena evolution. I can still dream for an ice type wolf Pokemon I guess lol.

The lack of canines in Gen IV made me =(. The Houndour, Growlith and Electrike lines are awesome. Granbull ain't bad either. Going around with party of just dogs would be pretty brilliant.

I feel I have to say this as it's bothering me and my OCD, there's a grave accent (`) on the "e" in the topic title when there should be an acute accent (´) XD

Call me a pessimist (also lazy, since I've not read every post and this might have been said before already), but to all saying "I hope they mix things up a bit and make it actually feel like something new"...

I'm willing to bet that Black and White run on exactly the same game and graphics engine as Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. You know it's just going to be more of the same in a new area with new Pokemon, at least until the 3DS forces them to redo the game engine from the ground up again so they don't get accused of making DS-standard games/ graphics for the new handheld.

I'm betting we won't see any real change until gen 6. And even then, who reckons it'll be little more than a graphical update?

Edited by Mahzes
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'm betting we won't see any real change until gen 6.

They've hinted at/confirmed "revolutionary/innovation/new features" in the announcements they've made about it thus far though... even if only passingly.

Call me a pessimist (also lazy, since I've not read every post and this might have been said before already), but to all saying "I hope they mix things up a bit and make it actually feel like something new"...

I'm willing to bet that Black and White run on exactly the same game and graphics engine as Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold and SoulSilver. You know it's just going to be more of the same in a new area with new Pokemon, at least until the 3DS forces them to redo the game engine from the ground up again.

I'm betting we won't see any real change until gen 6.

Well the official site says that it's "said to bring about a revolution of Pokémon." So with something like that officially stated, I highly doubt they'll stick the same old ideas for the entire game. No other Pokemon game promised a revolution before...

Going around with party of just dogs would be pretty brilliant.

That's what I've been working on doing in Soul Silver, but it's hard with the lack of variety, >=. The Electrike line is the only one that seems different than the standard fire or dark type dogs. I could always go with the Eevee evolutions, but it doesn't seem the same. Maybe this new 5th gen will had at least one new type canine (even if the dark-type Zorua is a Canid, -_-).

More important all of that though, is for this generation to actually bring in something pretty new. Not just a new minigame area or slight changes, I want a something big that is just as addictive as the current way of things. They can't keep riding on this POGEYMAN MASTER OF REGION WITH MAH SHINY BADGE COLLECTION bullshit forever, >=.

-Blur

BTW, aren't DSi-exclusive carts like Foto Showdown and System Flaw white?

So it may not be out of the question for Nintendo to "color" the carts this time properly.

Ah well, we shall have to wait and see. Pokémon Sunday airs on Sunday (durr) morning, so any details that come from will be here in the early hours if websites cover it like the did with HgSs.

EDIT: @ Hero of Ledgend: There's two types of DSi game. Some, like Foto Showdown, run only on the DSi. Others, like Sonic Classic Collection, are DSi optimised. They'll run in any DS, but have some features only usable in the DSi or run better on them. Regardless of what kind they are, they will still be region locked on a DSi.

Edited by Blue Blood

Man I wish we could have logos like that instead of the plain ones we normally get.

Man I wish we could have logos like that instead of the plain ones we normally get.

You ever seen HeartGold/SoulSilver?

The localised logos for HGSS were NOTHING like the Japanese ones, it's been that way since Gen 1 and it sucks because the Japanese logos are gorgeous.

I can't believe they named these games POKe'MON white and black... they could have at least made something like... Topaz and... um.... Quartz or something...

Couldn't agree more =_= I wish we could get prettier logos over here for once.

Pokémon Black Version's logo will look just like this but without the whole Chaos thing:

pokemon_chaos_black.jpg

And I hate knowing that it will never look at amazing as the Japanese logos. T_T

Yes I have. I meant in style they are in.

The localised logos for HGSS were NOTHING like the Japanese ones, it's been that way since Gen 1 and it sucks because the Japanese logos are gorgeous.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/75/Pokemon_HeartGold_Version_box.jpg

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f7/Pokemon_SoulSilver_Version_box.jpg

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/4/43/Pokemon_FireRed_boxart_EN-US.jpg

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/3/3f/Pokemon_LeafGreen_boxart_EN-US.jpg

I dunno, they look better then FireRed/LeafGreen did.

Edit: My god, I'm slow.

Edited by Guest