Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

The following isn't as important as say day/night, which missed a whole gen, but assuming they are gone for Black & White and they aren't just a toggle option, it's still a big shame, no?

I love having my own personal "signature Pokémon" hanging out with me all the time. It's wonderful ^^

I'd say that if they are indeed gone for Black & White, they'll be back for the third game.

-It'll be a 3DS exclusive

-It'll be on a hyooj cart

-It'll be fully voiced and have over an hour's worth of anime cutscenes complete with New Game+

No, it's not a big shame. Removing a feature that actually does something (like say, contests) would be a big shame. I don't particularly like them, but they add another thing to do. It can be a disappointment that following Pokémon may be removed, but it wouldn't be a big shame at all.

Oh any my wish-list for Black/White so far is:

- They're purely DS games, not DSi. (Imports, people!)

- 50% of the dex isn't legendary like it was in Sinnoh.

- A decent balance of Pokémon to choose from during the main part of the game. Seriously, D/P had only 2 fire-types to choose from and one of them was the starter.

- A deluge of interesting type combos, some limited to the starters only (like water/steel in Sinnoh).

- On that note, a pure flying type should be done. If they want all birds to be part normal (or something else) then get another flying animal/wotsit. Angels?

- Baby Miltank/Tauros that evolves based on gender.

- And the last one reminded me, more gender differences for existing Pokémon.

Edited by Blue Blood

Those have never been done before and will really have people like WHOA. Although the Fire/Dragon one keeps bothering me... Something tells me that it's really overpowered...

Nah, it wouldn't be resistant to Water so it would easily get its ass whipped by a slew of common Pokémon unless its defenses were godly, but Fire types are very prone to being all Attack and no Defense. It would actually work really really well so long as it had Levitate.

No, it's not a big shame. Removing a feature that actually does something (like say, contests) would be a big shame. I don't particularly like them, but they add another thing to do. It can be a disappointment that following Pokémon may be removed, but it wouldn't be a big shame at all.

It is a big shame, because I loved the feature and I'll miss it, as will many others. :/

It's as simple as that.

- They're purely DS games, not DSi. (Imports, people!)

Right now they look like they could have 3DS features, meaning they could be DS games with extra features on 3DS, which would make importing a problem, probably >.<

- A decent balance of Pokémon to choose from during the main part of the game. Seriously, D/P had only 2 fire-types to choose from and one of them was the starter.

- A deluge of interesting type combos, some limited to the starters only (like water/steel in Sinnoh).

- On that note, a pure flying type should be done. If they want all birds to be part normal (or something else) then get another flying animal/wotsit. Angels?

- Baby Miltank/Tauros that evolves based on gender.

Agreed with all this.

It is a big shame, because I loved the feature and I'll miss it, as will many others. :/

It's as simple as that.

Not feelin' it. Nice feature, ultimately adds minimal 'oomph' to the games. Whatever you say though,

Right now they look like they could have 3DS features, meaning they could be DS games with extra features on 3DS, which would make importing a problem, probably >.<

Yeah, as the DSi has region locking, any reasonable bets would be that the 3DS does too. Bollocks. Either way, it's a 'want', not an expectation. *wants badly*

Edited by Blue Blood

Not feelin' it. Nice feature, ultimately adds minimal 'oomph' to the games. Whatever you say though

Maybe you're just not one of those players who gets emotionally attached to their Pokémon from time to time ^^ it's a great feature for that, really makes you feel closer to them.

Yeah, as the DSi has region locking, any reasonable bets would be that the 3DS does too. Bollocks. Either way, it's a 'want', not an expectation. *wants badly*

With any luck Nintendo have seriously sped up their localisation process anyway. Europe only had to wait two weeks longer than US for HG/SS, very impressive.

Well, the US only had to wait 5 months for Hg/Ss after Japan got them. Hurrah! With the popularity of Pokémon, there shouldn't really be more than two months in waiting to deliver the games to the rest of the world. It's really annoying.

Any chance we'll get a new Type Trio for starters? Fighting/Psychic/Dark wouldn't work, anything else people can think of?
It won't happen, but I'd like to see them do away with this whole "three unique starters" thing. Give us like 2 dozen uncommon (not unique) pokemon to choose from, some new and some old, of all sorts of types. Maybe daisy chain them by types/weaknesses if they really insist on giving the rival a pokemon strong against yours, but otherwise, let's see some real variety, eh? I want to be able to start a game with a Cubone, or a Spoink, or something.

*Checks out scans*

Man, in two or three Pokémon generations we might actually have a proper 3D adventure on our hands, if GameFreak's incremental evolution of the series remains at its current break-neck pace.

Because a Wobbuffet with lipstick is awesome. ;D

Speaking of changes, there is something I would like to see as it's been bothering me for a while and that would be increasing the amount of moves a Pokémon can use in battle.

We've always had 4 moves to play around with and to me it feels slightly limiting now. I'm getting fed up with having to forget moves to make way for new ones and sometimes 4 moves isn't enough to have a more well rounded Pokémon and cover yourself. I want to have a couple of attacks, a move or two to defend myself from stronger types and moves to boost attacks or enhance stats and health.

So I was thinking, would increasing the amount of moves to say, 6, do? It would allow you to have extra moves and help build up stuff say if you wanted more defensive moves against stronger types or you just wanted something to boost stats or cure status problems.

I know this won't happen because all the Pokémon from the other games have to be compatible with these new ones, so it has to be 4 moves.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some kind of living cloud, maybe? Pity about Castform being normal-type, really.

I hope they've managed to learn from their mistakes and make the regional Pokedex decently sezed this time around; I don't want to have to wait for the third version to fight gym leaders who actually use the type they're supposed to. I also hope they manage to loosen their iron grip on continuity and fix a few stupid things like Nidorina and Nidoqueen not being able to breed and maybe the need for incenses. I guess that's not super-important, but I've always hated the things.

Oh, and more fire-types, please. We have about four right now; it's a little embarrassing. Maybe they could cut back on the water-types as well.

I also don't want to wait for the 3rd version for:

-Gym Leader rematches

-Phone

-Loads more nice trainer sprites

All the stuff that was in Platinum too. Gym Leader rematches were in Emerald, why did they skip D/P?

@ Octarine:

Aww, I'm gonna miss all of you guys.

(Only just noticed this)

Dun w'ry I'm not leaving SSMB, just this particular thread :P the Pokémon threads here are one of the main reasons I stick around xD

Ah... just remembered a couple of other suggestions I was thinking about.

While watching the anime, there's one thing in there that they do or did very differently to the games and that's the Pokémon League/Elite Four. I don't know about the latest series of the anime, but before, when Ash got all the badges, he would enter a tournament instead of in the games, going to the Elite Four. My suggestion would be to have some kind of tournament system in the game where you have to try and win a 32 trainer tournament or something like that. I wouldn't put it at the end of the game, I'd keep the Elite Four thing, but I'd have the Tournament as smaller thing somewhere in the game, maybe as their own separate thing in curtain towns and it goes along side the Gym badges. Or something like that :P

Something else from the anime, way back in the first series, there was an episode where they had a mini 16 trainer tournament, but Ash and that were given random Pokémon and they had to battle with those Pokémon. To me that sounds like a nice little mini game segment they could do which would be inter testing. Borrowing 2 or 3 random Pokémon to battling with and see how far you can get with them.

Fire/Dragon should have been done years ago. They have no excuse to not make one this time :P And I hope it'll be a traditional western looking Dragon (not a goofy one like Dragonite, and not a plastic one like Salamence, an epic beastly dragon please)

It would instantly become one of my favourite Pokémon ever.

I'd like a lot more new type combinations, I'm amazed there are still so many to do. How about a lone Flying type? Psychic/Dark? Ice/Fire? Rock/Ground?

Should definitely be an interesting gen for new monsters.

It needs a toucan.

EDIT: Anyone think they'll finally fix Gyarados' type? Or allow Nidoqueen to breed?

Although it was a flying/dragon type, I thought Rayquaza was the coolest looking Dragon we've ever got.

EDIT: Anyone think they'll finally fix Gyarados' type?

Wait, what's wrong with Gyarados' type? Flying/Water right?

Although it was a flying/dragon type, I thought Rayquaza was the coolest looking Dragon we've ever got.

Rayquaza does look awesome, but it's a legie, so it's not party material for me.

@ Ashley:

A lot of people want the tournament like thing, but I think it would be incredibly boring, gameplay wise.

It would be like a battle tower you have to do :S

EDIT: And Gyarados should be Water/Dragon. He doesn't have a single Flying move, nor can he learn Flying TMs, he can only learn Bounce via Move Tutor.

It's far more of a hinderance to him than it is handy. He was intended to be Water/Dragon originally (and this is reflected in his moveset) but they couldn't do it in Gen 1 for some reason.

He really shoulda been fixed by now.

Edited by SuperLink

While watching the anime, there's one thing in there that they do or did very differently to the games and that's the Pokémon League/Elite Four. I don't know about the latest series of the anime, but before, when Ash got all the badges, he would enter a tournament instead of in the games, going to the Elite Four. My suggestion would be to have some kind of tournament system in the game where you have to try and win a 32 trainer tournament or something like that. I wouldn't put it at the end of the game, I'd keep the Elite Four thing, but I'd have the Tournament as smaller thing somewhere in the game, maybe as their own separate thing in curtain towns and it goes along side the Gym badges. Or something like that tongue.gif

Something else from the anime, way back in the first series, there was an episode where they had a mini 16 trainer tournament, but Ash and that were given random Pokémon and they had to battle with those Pokémon. To me that sounds like a nice little mini game segment they could do which would be inter testing. Borrowing 2 or 3 random Pokémon to battling with and see how far you can get with them.

EDIT: Anyone think they'll finally fix Gyarados' type?

Gyarados' type is what keeps it from being even more of a beast than it already is, with it's 4x weakness to electric.

I'm sure his typing was intentional

Edited by Black Spy

Oh any my wish-list for Black/White so far is:

The Sinnoh Dex only has 6 legendaries (7 in Platinum). That's not that much, considering how the Hoenn Dex has 10 legendaries, and the Johto Dex has 11 legendaries.

Unless if you were talking about the amount of new Pokemon in general, not just the dex. Not every Gen IV Pokemon was in the Sinnoh Dex. Heatran, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus only appear in the National Dex, and they actually aren't part of the Sinnoh Dex in either D/P or Platinum.

Man, in two or three Pokémon generations we might actually have a proper 3D adventure on our hands, if GameFreak's incremental evolution of the series remains at its current break-neck pace.

Pokemon Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver are fully 3D. You can modify the camera angle with an ActionReplay. The "new" 3D in Black & White isn't really new at all, which is generally why I'm not that impressed with the screens they've shown us. At least they're finally introducing stuff like cars.

Speaking of changes, there is something I would like to see as it's been bothering me for a while and that would be increasing the amount of moves a Pokémon can use in battle.

We've always had 4 moves to play around with and to me it feels slightly limiting now. I'm getting fed up with having to forget moves to make way for new ones and sometimes 4 moves isn't enough to have a more well rounded Pokémon and cover yourself. I want to have a couple of attacks, a move or two to defend myself from stronger types and moves to boost attacks or enhance stats and health.

So I was thinking, would increasing the amount of moves to say, 6, do? It would allow you to have extra moves and help build up stuff say if you wanted more defensive moves against stronger types or you just wanted something to boost stats or cure status problems.

I know this won't happen because all the Pokémon from the other games have to be compatible with these new ones, so it has to be 4 moves.

Speaking of changing the four moves system, I remember reading somewhere or the other, the idea of keeping having only four moves in a useable set, but at the same time having other moves not forgotten, but in reserve, to be switched out and changed with the moves being currently used.

The same person also thought that the set should only be changeable in a Center or somewhere, to prevent switching moves out of PP for full ones.

@Black Spy

Ah... I see now. I think I stopped playing the game just before that point where one would enter those. If they're in then, oh well carry on :P

Speaking of changing the four moves system, I remember reading somewhere or the other, the idea of keeping having only four moves in a useable set, but at the same time having other moves not forgotten, but in reserve, to be switched out and changed with the moves being currently used.

The same person also thought that the set should only be changeable in a Center or somewhere, to prevent switching moves out of PP for full ones.

I was thinking that too when trying to come up with ideas for it, but it wouldn't be right though if that happen. It would feel like the Pokemon are robots with everything being interchangeable... Metabots.

Edited by Ashley Marsh

The Sinnoh Dex only has 6 legendaries (7 in Platinum). That's not that much, considering how the Hoenn Dex has 10 legendaries, and the Johto Dex has 11 legendaries.

Unless if you were talking about the amount of new Pokemon in general, not just the dex. Not every Gen IV Pokemon was in the Sinnoh Dex. Heatran, Cresselia, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, and Arceus only appear in the National Dex, and they actually aren't part of the Sinnoh Dex in either D/P or Platinum.

See, you know what I mean. And regardless, Sinnoh is where all bazilion Gen IV legendaries are.

I don't want it to be on 3DS! That's ridiculous when they've just released the DSiXL a little while ago. I still have a DSPhat for FS! Let me catch up please Nintendo!!

One of us needs to take a couple dozen elephant tranquilizers and call it a day!

It's on the DS, no worries.

• Thumbs Up 2

We need a Fighting/Ghost type. That would make Black or White an instant buy for me.

wait, shit, it already is