Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

Wow... Pokemon are starting to look more and more like Digimon.

That's not to say that these new legendaries are awesome, though. And Older trainers? An "American" region? Possibly driving a Car in certain areas?

I'm sold.

The "Gotta Catch 'em All" line is defunct since Gen 3 for that exact reason. Nintendo haven't used it in any official materials for almost 10 years.

What new features put you off exactly? I can't think of anything that actually makes the games worse.

As for having so many to catch, that's bad for some people but for me I'm absolutely ecstatic with having shitloads to do. The amount of Pokémon you can catch pre-E4 is always completely reasonable too.

Yeah I know but you're still given the task at the beginning to complete the Pokédex but now it's just a ridiculous task, I know it's not essential and doesn't have to be done but it's still crazy. As for features I mainly mean there are too many and things are just getting complicated in the game aswell as training, raising and evolving Pokémon, I just miss the simple old gamesas I've said before. I think I'm just going to give up on the series now as it's just not what I'm looking for now. I respect and appreciate how alot of fans like the way the series is evolving though but for me personally it's just unrecognisable and not to my taste anymore.

Shadzter you didn't even make it to the first gym in HGSS!?

You are severely missing out my friend.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I know but you're still given the task at the beginning to complete the Pokédex but now it's just a ridiculous task, I know it's not essential and doesn't have to be done but it's still crazy.

To be fair, it was very easy to do in the old games and filling the Pokédex could be done in a couple of hours if you knew where everything was in the older games due to the smaller amount of Pokémon.

As for features I mainly mean there are too many and things are just getting complicated in the game aswell as training, raising and evolving Pokémon, I just miss the simple old gamesas I've said before.

Training, raising and evolving your Pokémon has always been the focus of the games, even in the older games. Heck, in one sense it is the complete aim of the game since you'll need to do all of those things to defeat the gym leaders and the elite 4.

Yeah I know but you're still given the task at the beginning to complete the Pokédex but now it's just a ridiculous task, I know it's not essential and doesn't have to be done but it's still crazy.

I finished the National Dex a week ago, it took me a year and I loved the challenge. I was sad to find out I had nothing more to do with it.

As for features I mainly mean there are too many and things are just getting complicated in the game aswell as training, raising and evolving Pokémon, I just miss the simple old gamesas I've said before. I think I'm just going to give up on the series now as it's just not what I'm looking for now. I respect and appreciate how alot of fans like the way the series is evolving though but for me personally it's just unrecognisable and not to my taste anymore.

Fair enough, but I find this funny considering one of the main criticisms Pokémon has from old fans is that it hasn't changed enough (which I personally disagree with). I guess it just shows that the Pokémon fanbase is as torn as the Sonic fanbase Dx if the Pokémon games kept the simplicity and everything from first gen then those fans would just complain even harder...

Infact I would have lost interest myself if nothing ever changed D:

Really Pokémon is still aimed at kids and that demographic loves it to bits, so I don't see what's so complicated about it :S

Edited by SuperLink

Oh hey, legendaries.

why the fuck do they look like dialga and palkia had sex with articuno and painted them black and white

Ew.

I had really, really high hopes that we wouldn't get more legendaries that look like stiff metal statues, but I guess they had to make more. They both don't look like Pokemon to me. They look like the result of Digimon having sex with Yu-Gi-Oh's over-complex monsters. Maybe I was hoping that Zoroark would be on the cover with a new white colored Pokemon on the other version.

Watch as these tards are the gods of day time and night time, -_-.

-Blur

Watch as these tards are the gods of day time and night time, -_-.

OH FUCK.

that means the evil teams would be either trying to create day or night FOREVARS.

Team Hunter and Team Vampire?

OH FUCK.

that means the evil teams would be either trying to create day or night FOREVARS.

Team Hunter and Team Vampire?

:( I looks like i'm the only person who like them.

:( I looks like i'm the only person who like them.

I like them.

Then again I was probably the only person who adored Wotter and disliked Smugleaf so I guess that makes my opinion invalid.

Edited by Columind

I like them too. I mean I really, really like them. I didn't even like Giratina until Origin Forme was revealed, but I like these guys right away. D:

Now that I think about it there really aren't many legies I like... Mewtwo, Giratina, Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin (not Skymin, I hate Skymin), those are the only ones I really like, and I think these two look epic.

I don't understand why everyone else hates them so much :( they look so unique, they look really abstract, almost alien-like.

Am I the only one who sees that the backstory for these things could be really creepy or epic? I just can't see where the pessimism comes from.

I think I'm getting black version, Reshiram looks angel inspired, and I've always dreamed of an angelic Pokémon.

;_;

Edited by SuperLink

They kind of look like fan creations, I was very surprised when I found out they were actually real. They're not BAD, they just look a bit fan-made. And way too much like Palkia (especially the feet) for my liking. Then again, I'm not a massive fan of legends either (just Entei/Lugia). I want to see more just normal Pokemon. That's where the core of the designs are.

I want to see more just normal Pokemon. That's where the core of the designs are.

Definitely agree there. Gen IV had a ridiculous amount of legies. I think B/W should have way less, like 5 or 6 legies max (and only 1 Event legie)

My Opinion on those is simply that they Look pretty Neat. Zekrom in Particuler I like, But Reshiram is Fine Too. That is all. So I guess I'm getting the White Version...or maybe Both, Depends if I have enough Cash.

I think I'm getting black version, Reshiram looks angel inspired, and I've always dreamed of an angelic Pokémon.

Wait. Earlier you Pointed out That Zekroms Tail Looks like a Drill (And it is Black Too) and Now you say that Reshiram Looks like a Angel.

But that Means............

.........!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

ANGELS AND ANTI SPIRALS, HOLY CRAP YOU GUYS!!

• Thumbs Up 2

:\

I didn't like Zoroark's silhouette and everyone told me to wait until the silhouette was taken off. I did. I didn't like it, so everyone told me to wait until more Pokemon were revaled. I did. I didn't like the way the starter silhouettes looked so people told me to wait until they were taken off. I did. I think the grass starter is okay, fire starter is tolerable, and water starter is complete garbage. People told me to wait and see more Pokemon again. Fast forward to today.

New legendaries are weird as fuck and I don't really like them. Zekrom looks okay, I guess, but really. I don't like any of these new Pokemon much at all. The two I like the most are Zorua and the grass starter. Zorua evolves into some hideous motherfucker and the grass starter probably will too.

Come on, Game Freak.

Edited by Chooch

Now that I think about it there really aren't many legies I like... Mewtwo, Giratina, Mew, Jirachi, Deoxys, Shaymin (not Skymin, I hate Skymin), those are the only ones I really like, and I think these two look epic.

I thought you liked Latias as well.

Anyway, I guess the pessemism comes from the fact that the designs look very complex. What I don't get though is that people don't complain about old Pokémon such as Venusaur having complex designs as well.

Also am I the only one who thinks that Reshiram has a head that looks like Blaziken's? (Surprise surprise I made that comparison.) Now I bet you're wondering 'What possibly makes Reshiram look like Blaziken in any way?' Well there are multiple reasons. Firstly the back of his face has the same spiked pattern that Blaziken's does. Next the eye shape is identical to Blaziken's and not to mention the feather like things coming from the back of his head. If you're still not convinced, here's a quick recolour I made to show it:

newlegie.png

I thought you liked Latias as well.

Fuuuu I completely forgot about Latias Dx one of my fave Pokémon ever. I really like Rayquaza too.

Also I know these new guys are totally really fucking weird, but I personally love the weirdness. Weirdness is the reason Majora's Mask is the most unique and (imo) best Zelda game by far. Weirdness is why people love the Mario series, weirdness in Pokémon can be fantastic too. Pokémon has been sticking to similar formulas and ideas for ages now, and finally something fucking weird and abstract comes along. Just open your hearts to them a bit guys, it's gonna be alright. :3

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, it was very easy to do in the old games and filling the Pokédex could be done in a couple of hours if you knew where everything was in the older games due to the smaller amount of Pokémon.

Training, raising and evolving your Pokémon has always been the focus of the games, even in the older games. Heck, in one sense it is the complete aim of the game since you'll need to do all of those things to defeat the gym leaders and the elite 4.

1. I preferred it how easy it was before without being too easy since it was time consuming, in my oppinion there being too many just makes it a boring chore.

2. I'm not complaining about training, raising and evolving Pokémon in general, I'm referring to the far too many variations on those tasks that have been added over the generations. I don't see what was wrong with the old way of levelling up and stones, hatching baby Pokémon was tolerable and somewhat interesting but now there are far too many boring and uninteresting variations.

I don't see what was wrong with the old way of levelling up and stones, hatching baby Pokémon was tolerable and somewhat interesting but now there are far too many boring and uninteresting variations.

There's nothing wrong with the old ways, tons of new Pokémon use levelling up and stones. People just don't want the same old every single game, like I said a large amount of old fans hate the new games for not changing enough, so now we have more varied methods of evolution that offer a challenge along the way.

Zekrom looks like a fucking beast, but I'm not very impressed with ol' furry-swan-with-a-drill-up-it's-jacksie Reshiram.

Zekrom seems to be the only aspect of this game that's appealed to me so far. I'm with Shadz on this one, the series seems to be getting FAR too complicated. The reason I got back into Pokemon with Platinum was because I didn't realise they were still so similar to the original games. First Pokemon game I'd touched since the original Gold (10 years or something?) and last time I checked I'd clocked nearly 200 hours on the bugger. That's gotta say something, right?

All this 3D perspective shiz...no thanks. I'm all for evolution but this seems far too much for now. I hope I'm wrong but, looks like HG'll be my last.

There's nothing wrong with the old ways, tons of new Pokémon use levelling up and stones. People just don't want the same old every single game, like I said a large amount of old fans hate the new games for not changing enough, so now we have more varied methods of evolution that offer a challenge along the way.

I can see how they're trying to keep things fresh and appreciate alot of fans like all of these new things but I for one find it all too complicated ane boring though that's just me. I've never liked too many complications in any games, one of my younger brothers keeps trying to get me to play Modern Warfare 2 online with him and experiment with all of these modes I can't get my head around and can't get interested in. It's basic death match or nothing for me, I'm only interested in the campaignn. I just prefer things to be kept simple and fun in all games I play, I enjoy a challenge don't get me wrong but I just don't enjoy too many rules, tasks, numbers and complications.

That's the thing though, it's not complicated, because through and through, Pokémon is still a game for children, and that portion of the fanbase still seems to love it :S

When we have fans who hate the new games for being the same as the first games and not changing enough to maintain interest...

PLUS fans who hate the new games for changing too much...

I don't understand Dx surely this means GameFreak are doing things just right? ;P

@ Shadzter: I guess I see what you mean. Maybe the new generation kids are just getting used to more complex games.

Edited by SuperLink

Ooh, those are miles better than the last two generations' mascot legendaries... 'cept Origin Forme Giratina, of course. I'm not incredibly impressed by them or anything, but I'm not usually a big fan of legendaries anyway, and they're good enough. I'm getting kind of a Persona 3 vibe from the colour schemes, actually, and that's very cool.

...on the subject of new and interesting ways to obtain Pokemon, I'm of two minds. On one hand, the internet makes it pretty easy to discover what you need to get any Pokemon, so it's hard to complain about how arcane some of them are, and it's good to have some variety. I definitely love a few of the weirder requirements, like needing to have a Remoraid in your party to evolve Mantyke. On the other hand, I never, ever want another Spiritomb or Feebas to happen. Ever.

Edited by Octarine

Wow at all this negativity. This like the oppisite of the Sonic fandom.

• Thumbs Up 2

surely this means GameFreak are doing things just right?

That's how I see it, so I see no need to give it as big an overhaul as this...I'd be all for the 3D stuff if it were small towns and stuff rather than huge New York-style cities.

I don't know, it just seems like this is going to be the Sonic X of the Pokemon series (trying to take it to the real world).