Awoo.

Pokèmon Black & White Discussion

PSI Wind

I wonder why they don't just bury the hatchet and make a full 3D game.

Also, seriously late I guess, but do the female characters pants keep getting shorter every game?

Also, PEOPLE ACTUALLY MOVE OUT OF YOUR FUCKING WAY!!!!

Edited by Black Spy

These are sprites.

They can deal.

Yeah but when you take into consideration that most Pokemon are going to be having 6+ sprites (gender differences and formes included) and each one being animated its bound to take up a lot of room on the cart, we aren't talking a little jump when it comes out of the Pokeball here, this is much much more than that. Correct me if I'm wrong but animation sequences can end up quite large in file size, can't they?.

Holy shit guys, this is where Pokémon changes, big time.

It better, because if they don't change it up, eventually I'll probably stop-bah, who am I kidding? Game Freak has probably gotten me hooked on this crap forever.

On to actually discussing the news, the changes really impress me, even if they are all anesthetic. But what I really want to know is what change to the battle system they've made in this game, if any, like hold items in Gen 2 and abilities in 3.

I also like all of the starters, even Wotter has grown on me to the point that the pig is the odd one to me now.

I'm also hoping for other unique catch methods, anything other than the only variation that we've seen in previous games-FOLLOW THESE LOADS OF CONSTANTLY RUNNING POKEMANZ ACROSS THE REGION.

Edited by Ekaje

Game is looking awesome. I am so glad they added animations and the people moving out of the way is a nice touvh too.

This game looks to have everything and thats great.

Although i'm not seeing how this game is New York based. I just see it as alot of similarities(coincidences).

Next Gen here I come.

Edit: Just add in awesome ways to catch me Pokemanz and i'm set.

Edited by Torcano

I still really hope they get new sprites. Even if Entei's sprite has lovely animation I'm not exactly ecstatic with it reusing D/P/P sprites.

Does it, though? It's in a similar pose, but I spent a minute on Bulbapedia and I don't think it's exactly identical. There are plenty of Pokemon that kept very similar sprites between III and IV, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few that were close this time around as well, especially with all of the animation. That's not to say that I think a little recycling is beneath Game Freak... Generation III's backsprites, ugh.

...wouldn't they recycle the HG/SS sprite, though, since it's newer? That sprite doesn't look anything like the one in the new video.

Also, hooray for AMERICUH. I want my RegiLincolnMonument.

Now I'm really hyped for this game. =)

The battle animations were great, and so was the city footage.

Yeah but when you take into consideration that most Pokemon are going to be having 6+ sprites (gender differences and formes included) and each one being animated its bound to take up a lot of room on the cart, we aren't talking a little jump when it comes out of the Pokeball here, this is much much more than that. Correct me if I'm wrong but animation sequences can end up quite large in file size, can't they?.

The animation in whole might take some space, but I doubt sprites would. They're not large by any means, so they can't take up too much file size.

Also, when they took everything in HGSS, and were able to have enough space on the cart to add in a infrared sensor? They can make some space. It takes incredibly small things to hold large things these days.

<3.

I'm now excited to see all the 400+ Pokemon we already have in animation, <3. I'd be great if Pokemon could follow you again, but damn, with what I've seen, I honestly don't care. Those battles are amazing, and that town looks pretty fucking fun, =3.

I hope there are more interesting battles like Zoroark and shits, 'cause so far, he's one of my favorite Pokemon. I just hope it isn't something super important to the story. More like a Sudowoodo blocking the the path or Red Gyarados sort of thing. Just rare Pokemon that happen to fall into the story slightly.

And I don't care about his popularity, so far Mr. Smug is the most appealing to me.

-Blur

You'd be surprised how much space things take up. The other DS Pokemon games are 128 MB.

I have seen bigger SD cards than that.

I have seen bigger MICRO SD cards than that.

The DS card is bigger than both. In width, height, and length.

What you are saying is that my copy of SoulSilver is 128 MB, and that is large. I currently own a 2 GB SD card. I can confirm that it is all of the above.

What you say, no sense it makes.

I have seen bigger SD cards than that.

I have seen bigger MICRO SD cards than that.

The DS card is bigger than both. In width, height, and length.

What you are saying is that my copy of SoulSilver is 128 MB, and that is large. I currently own a 2 GB SD card. I can confirm that it is all of the above.

What you say, no sense it makes.

The biggest DS cart is about 512mb, it's currently unknown weather the DS could reach sizes as big as 2GB purely because of firmware stuff. Just because it's an SD card doesn't mean anything that read SD cards can support newer ones, afaik older devices have trouble with large cards.

I agree though, that they have plenty of rooms. I imagine they're probably employ a few tricks to save space too (for example, those sprites kind of look like they're made out of smaller sprites, that is, they won't bother redrawing everything completely for every frame)

The biggest DS cart is about 512mb, it's currently unknown weather the DS could reach sizes as big as 2GB purely because of firmware stuff. Just because it's an SD card doesn't mean anything that read SD cards can support newer ones, afaik older devices have trouble with large cards.

512 MB?

That is really stupidly small.

Even so, it could hold any animations and sprites with ease. I see no issue with size other than now i'm all mad that they're that small.

and you know what, i shake a DS card near my ears, HEY-OH it rattles. They actually don't use space in it.

I see no plausible reason for these games to not be bigger.

and you know what, i shake a DS card near my ears, HEY-OH it rattles. They actually don't use space in it.

I see no plausible reason for these games to not be bigger.

It's not a physical space issue- it's programming/software related.

It's not a physical space issue- it's programming/software related.

i'm just sayin man, i shake a ds card and there is extra space.

i shake a smaller SD card with bigger filesize and it makes no sound at all.

I might not understand much about how these little things work, but in life I have noticed that hardware gets smaller = more size. And things that are bigger with smaller parts = more size.

why is there not more size all of this math adds up.

Uh, the space used inside the shell of the card has nothing to do with how much something can hold.

You know, we should've gotten fully animated Pokemon back in Diamond and Pearl when the game shifted to the DS. Given the new hardware, continuing to use static poses was inexcusable. So I'm not really too excited about the fully animated Pokemon in Black and White. Just this feeling of "Oh finally they did it. About time."

The physical size of the card, ie the outside doesn't determine how much data it holds. just cause there's some room to squeeze more chips in the plastic doesn't mean you can magically fit more gigabytes onto it. Yes, SD cards can go up to like 16 GB but just because they can doesn't mean the DS is able to handle a 16GB cart.

due to differant software standards across the years is possible the DS has a limit to how much data it can recognize as a game- at the moment that number is probably like 512mb, although there is the possibility for it to be higher,we just don't know yet..

I wonder if there will be any cities that look like Hiun City or is this the only one? I hope it's the former. Never liked how the cities were allways a couple buildings. Same with the towns. They were more like villages.

Very impressed by the footage, animations throughout battle is awesome, attacks look prettier, towns look great, people spouting their useless gibberish as you go by is awesome and people moving out of your way is even better. Boy do I hate it when you go to walk past someone and they quickly step in front of you, I approve Game Freak.

The perspective of the overworld footage is just crying out for 3DS compatibility. I really hope that makes it in now, as it seems like it would be a real shame if it didn't.

I think Pokemon would make a nice MMO... *shot*

I was the one who shot you. :D

Everyone needs to realise that the DS is now using quite old hardware, the console was released in 2005, and SD Cards have really made a giant boom since then. When we get the 3DS, that's when we can expect its games to be stuffed to the brim with amazing quality shiz.

I kinda doubt that the third version will take full advantage of the 3DS, being on a new system. Will it really have better quality sprites/music/polygons/everything? That would take a lot of work and it would mean that the third game this time round is almost different enough to be called a remake in its own right... Which makes me wonder what the hell they're gonna do with this Gen's third version.

Well, while the sprites aren't great the animations are pretty awesome. I also like how everyone moves out of the way, it's pretty lols. The main thing that bugs me is how pixelly the trainers and people in the overworld look compared to the awesome graphics of the 3D city. It just bugs me a little :x

And I still don't know which starter to pick, I still am not that keen on any of them =/