Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Actually, SSBB, along with most Wii games can easily be squeezed into a normal DVD's limit. It's just that there's alot of excess padding behind it to space it out.

I don't know anything about that, but that the overall size of SSBB is such. It's just a little food for thought.

Also, Paper Mario should be making awesome of use of such parallax effects. A 2D Sonic with really intricate use of it would be awesome though. Hydrocity ftw.

Edited by Blue Blood

DEATH EGG ZONE!!!!! They could make it look like you're moving around in a VAST space station.

Think about Doomsday Zone.

Different layers of stars moving by, layers of clouds on earth moving by, add in asteroids like you dodge but smaller and in the background and oh my god what is all this all over my pants

I find it pretty difficult to get hyped for the prospect of a 3D-enabled Sonic Genesis port or series of ports, because it would require a) porting the games and b ) modifying them. Both of which Sonic Team happen to suck at completely if Sonic 1 GBA and Classics Collection DS are any indicator. Frankly I'd rather not 3D-ify a 2D sprite game anyway unless they master depth perception enough to make the sprites look less like cardboard cutouts - which is, while possible, still pretty difficult.

Edited by Blacklightning

So apparently Nintendo doesn't use Flash technology, for the GBA and DS (and presumably 3DS) it uses Mask ROM, due to it (sorta) owning Macronix (It basically bought all the equipment used to make the carts, and then "rents" it to Macronix to use to make Nintendo stuff). Flash is fairly cheap, but also somewhat unreliable (it's also, in most cases, re-writeable, which Nintendo obviously wouldn't want), while MROM is a lot more robust and has a much longer lifespan and can't be rewritten ever. MROM is also much, much faster to read, and so makes loading times so much more... er... better. It's actually, in all likelihood, probably ridiculously expensive to make 8GB 3DS carts at the moment, and so Nintendo have purposefully capped it to 2GB (Apparently Nintendo is currently only offering 1GB and 2GB carts, which is a fairly significant jump over the DS), and as time goes on the price for higher capacity carts will come down to a level Nintendo is happy with selling them at.

The current read time of a DS cart is ~70ns. 70 NANO SECONDS. The PSP GO, which uses Flash Storage (because 16GB/32GB MROM would be stupidly expensive), has a read time of about ~1.2ms. The DS carts read about ten thousand times faster. DS carts launched at 150ns read time, so even if the 3DS starts with that "slow" of a read time, it's still far faster than comparative flash memory.

Apparently. Don't shoot the messenger if the figures are off!

I find it pretty difficult to get hyped for the prospect of a 3D-enabled Sonic Genesis port or series of ports, because it would require a) porting the games and b ) modifying them. Both of which Sonic Team happen to suck at completely if Sonic 1 GBA and Classics Collection DS are any indicator.

Hey! I like Classic Collection. Fucking Sonic 2 on the go, what could possibly be better than that? Nothing I tell you, nothing at all. The only real issue is the slow-down on the regular DS but I have a DSi so I couldn't give half a shit honestly.

Besides, they wouldn't have to remake them completely. S1GBA was the result of a quick port that had no effort put into it. Of course it would suck.

Compared too Sonic Genesis, Sonic Classic Collection is a god send and a step in the right direction. I think SEGA could do a 3DS port just fine.

Compared too Sonic Genesis, Sonic Classic Collection is a god send and a step in the right direction. I think SEGA could do a 3DS port just fine.

SEGA could also have done a DS, or even GBA port just fine. But they didn't. They instead did an awful GBA port and unbelievably lazy DS emulation.

But anyway, I don't want to see the 3DS full of old titles IN THREEEEEEEEEEE DEEEEEEEEE. That would absolutely suck.

Edited by Blue Blood

Compared too Sonic Genesis, Sonic Classic Collection is a god send and a step in the right direction.

Was the end product of Sonic Classic Collection better? Yes. Was Classic Collection a step in the right direction? I say no. But we are getting ahead of ourselves. Like Blue Blood, I think it would be a waste of time to see the 3DS loaded with "Updated Classics, Now in your pocket and 3D!" for two reasons:

1. It is, to an extent, a waste of the system's potential.
  2. The PSP is already basically loaded with games like that.

And in regards to this:

An 8GB file size limit? Oh woe, we'll never fit anything good on there!

But wait, what's that? The GameCube's mini-disc format had a storage capacity of only 1.5GB? And top tier titles like Wind Waker, Rogue Squadron and Metroid Prime were still squeezed on with no doubt some assistance from Nintendo's homegrown data compression techniques? Doubters can go to hell: Nintendo has an illustrious history of defying expectations where storage capacity is concerned, and to my mind, if they can do what they did on the GCN with such small storage sizes, 8GB on the 3DS must seem positively palatial by comparison to them.

I have somewhat strong doubts that 99% of the games on the system will exceed the initial 2GB limit, so the 8GB hard limit is almost certainly irrelevant. Also for two reasons:

1. 2GB is (more or less) pretty close to what the PSP has as its hard limit, and there will certainly be tons of ports between the two for the first year or two of the 3DS' life.
  2. Going on from the PSP, look at the games on that. There are dozens and dozens of WiiS2 ports, but the overwhelming majority of PSP games are still basically around or under 700MB in size (best example: the Disgaea ports, which have considerably more content in them than the original PS2 versions did when they were on DVD, are both around 600MB or so). There are the occasional 900MB-1.5GB exception, but I can probably count them on two hands. So it seems safe to say that we may get a handful of 3DS games that exceed 2GB, but we will most likely never run into the same kind of issues that the N64 had with lack of space.
Edited by Tornado

I'd seen a few sites confirming the event over the last couple of days, but that's the first I've seen confirming the 3DS's presence, even if it was bound to happen. Thanks Jetronic :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so Paper Mario, OoT, Mario Kart, Monkey Ball, Sonic, De Blob, Prof Layton, and now new Rayman. That's a pretty nice selection of games to look forward to for the system. I can't wait to get a full list of what's actually going to be a launch title.

Europe also getting 3DS preview event January 19th

Nintendo will be holding a special 3DS preview event in Amsterdam on 19 January.

News broke earlier today that Nintendo would be showing off its new handheld console at a press-only event in New York on 19 January and now it has been confirmed that Nintendo will be holding a similar event in Europe on the same day.

Attendees are being invited to join Nintendo "for an immersive 3D experience without the need for special glasses."

With the launch of the console only a few months away, many fans will be hoping that Nintendo announce the exact release date, price and the line up of launch games at the event although no mention is made of this on the invite.

The event will kick off at 15.00 CET (that's 14.00 by UK time) and ONM will be going so mark 19 January in your 2011 diary. And make sure you're near a computer!

http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/article.php?id=22325

Looks like these preview events are definitely press only, but Nintendo Europe and ONM UK have teamed up for a competition to give two lucky winners tickets to go to the event in Amsterdam and play the 3DS.

Want to go hands-on with 3DS before any of your friends? You should enter this amazing competition.

Nintendo is holding a special 3DS preview event in Amsterdam on 19 January 2011. The event is for the media only but Nintendo is giving two readers of Official Nintendo Magazine the chance to come along to the event and play the latest 3DS games.

Would you like to go to the event on 19 January? To stand a chance of attending you need to write a review of any Nintendo game released in 2010.

Write a maximum of 400 words on your chosen game and send it to us at onm@futurenet.co.uk. We will judge the entries and the two finest reviewers will get the opportunity to attend the event. Your travel and accommodation will be paid for.

However, you will need to be over 18 to attend the event so if you will be under 18 on 19 January 2011 you won't be able to enter this competition.

You've got until 4 January to get your entry in.

Good luck!

Heads up my follow Americans, Game Stop has opened up preorders for the Nintendo 3DS starting today! I am on my way out the door to insure myself a shiny new handheld. :D

Edited by speedfreak

Just got back. My 3DS is now preordered. :D You have to put at least $50 down.

They don't have any of that info yet. They only have a place holder date, a place holder price of $999.99 (obviously not even remotely the real price), and there was nothing about colors either. I'm good with Red, Blue, or Black so it doesn't matter to me. I'm just happy knowing mine is guaranteed after the whole Wii fiasco.

probably just walk intoa store day one and buy one like i did with my wii... and my ds... and virutally every other console/game I've bought

small town ftw.

shame they didn't have colour info- that's what interested me the most when I heard pre orders were open.

Toys R Us UK is now doing the whole "Register your interest" thing that a lot of UK retailers do with upcoming consoles/handhelds for people to get first details regarding when pre-orders will open etc...

http://www.toysrus.co.uk/info/trubw_Nintendo3DS_registeryourinterest.jsf

Just registered mine, though I'll probably pre-order elsewhere, like HMV.

HMV is now listing Super Monkey Ball 3DS, with a release date of 11th March 2011.

Dec 2010

The legendary Super Monkey Ball series has evolved and is coming exclusively to the Nintendo 3DS. Developed by SEGA Studio Japan, Super Monkey Ball for Nintendo 3DS offers a whole new level of interactivity and fun, whilst completely immersing you in the world of your favorite monkeys - AiAi, MeeMee, GonGon and Baby – as they truly come alive in front of your eyes.

Taking advantage of the power of the Nintendo 3DS, players can let themselves loose in each new vibrant world as they twist and turn whilst aiming to collect every banana in the fastest time possible. This latest installment contains three brand-new compelling gameplay choices including single-player puzzle levels, Monkey Race and Monkey Fight. These new game modes give players the chance to compete via wireless connection with up to four players in the best 3D social experience possible in the palm of their hands. In addition, Super Monkey Ball fans will be able to choose between the Nintendo 3DS motion sensor or the Slide Pad to navigate the puzzle mazes with complete precision.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=65700

I'm not convinced that Monkey Ball is really suited to handheld gaming, at least on Nintendo and Sony's present and future known portables. We'll see if this lives up to my low expectations soon, but I feel that it works better on a TV.

I just want red to be there at launch. If it isn't, then I'll just wait 'till later, which is probably smarter considering that the first batch of systems always have all the problems. :s

Edited by Ho Ho Ferno

I just want red to be there at launch. If it isn't, then I'll just wait 'till later, which is probably smarter considering that the first batch of systems always have all the problems. :s

My launch DS phat is still kicking. :P

Also I'm gonna go for the Black 3DS.