Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Don't expect any Nintendo 3DS or other Nintendo related announcements at CES:

"Nintendo of America has booked meeting room space at the 2011 CES but ..will not be making any announcements about current or upcoming products during the show." - Charlie Scibetta, Senior Director of Corporate Communications for Nintendo of America

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=143529

Uh...ok Nintendo. Y-You just keep on trucking I guess. Should would be nice to know the release date for something that ships a little more than 3 months from now. :mellow:

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Aw...But I'm starving for more information on the 3DS, Oh well..I guess time will tell, but I guess we should be thankful for them to reveal some titles besides one or just two. But I really need to know more about this. Heck, today there weren't much video game news I would be interested, but if there where news about the 3DS, I would read all day then!

Super Monkey Ball 3DS official site opens

http://www.supermonkeyball.com/3ds/3game.html

The official Japanese site for Super Monkey Ball 3DS has now opened up, and while it's not exploding with new information, we do get a few new details worth pointing out.

- three modes of play

- Monkey Ball: single player traditional mode

- Monkey Race: race where you use items to attack opponents, one to four players, 8 different cars

- Monkey Fight: steal bananas from your opponents, one to four players

- characters such as AiAi, MeeMee, Baby and Gongon

- 4 other character slots not yet revealed

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=143488

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post, but this is worth it.

Nintendo holding press conference Jan 19th?

thumb_Nintendo_of_France_Press_Event_January_19th.jpg

Here's a tiny tweet that is getting quite a bit of attention. If Google translation is to be believed then Nintendo France has a mysterious teaser press event in Amsterdam on January 19 … 3DS? Other?

Keep your ear to GoNintendo, as we will have more on this if it develops.

http://www.gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=145190

Really hope this turns out to be true :D

It's going to have to be. I mean, Jesus Christ, 3DS would be releasing 2 months from them. I just have to figure NoA and NoE are waiting until after the Christmas season, as to not cause people to reconsider buying what they have out now in order to save for 3DS.

I've been saving my money for the 3DS ever since E3! I have enough money to buy 3 Wii Games at the most right now, but I'm not using it. I just wish Nintendo would announce a damn US release and price already though <_<.

Oh yeah and Super Monkey Ball 3DS is a launch title.

Edited by Ema Skye
  • Thumbs Up 1

An 8GB file size limit? Oh woe, we'll never fit anything good on there!

But wait, what's that? The GameCube's mini-disc format had a storage capacity of only 1.5GB? And top tier titles like Wind Waker, Rogue Squadron and Metroid Prime were still squeezed on with no doubt some assistance from Nintendo's homegrown data compression techniques? Doubters can go to hell: Nintendo has an illustrious history of defying expectations where storage capacity is concerned, and to my mind, if they can do what they did on the GCN with such small storage sizes, 8GB on the 3DS must seem positively palatial by comparison to them.

People are doubting the 8gb limit? to me that sounded massive for a portable

It might allow for a full Wind Waker/Twilight Princess 3D double feature. Which would be amazing if they did it right.

It might allow for a full Wind Waker/Twilight Princess 3D double feature. Which would be amazing if they did it right.

The Wii version of Twilight Princess is really just a GC port, so 8GB could hold Wind Waker and Twilight Princess easily. Hell, they could cram Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask in there also, I'll bet.

This would, of course, break the universe. Yet it still could, and that's awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Of course, I'm sure what we all want to see is the original MegaDrive Sonics in 3D, by which I mean make the 2D foreground and character sprites look like they really are miles in front of the 2D background, which should be layered so as to create a covincing illusion of depth.

For size comparison, dual-layer Wii discs can hold 8GB and SSBB is about 7.5GB.

Actually, SSBB, along with most Wii games can easily be squeezed into a normal DVD's limit. It's just that there's alot of excess padding behind it to space it out.

8GB is a lot for a handheld. It's good to know developers won't have to cut corners to save space like they did with the DS.

I'm surprised Nintendo has shown so little of this thing though. It was the talk of E3 and everyone who's seen it in person is blown away by it. They're probably going to start hyping it up once the Holiday season is over.

A lot of people are still suffering over this recession business, either by being short on income or completely bereft of it. They need to start advertising it once the post-Christmas credit card bill blues period is over.

by which I mean make the 2D foreground and character sprites look like they really are miles in front of the 2D background, which should be layered so as to create a covincing illusion of depth.
parallax scrolling on steroids.

enough to make a man froth at the mouth

parallax scrolling on steroids.

enough to make a man froth at the mouth

Of course they need to add more parallax layers for it to look convincing.

Not just the standard 3 or 4, but push it to 6 or 7, maybe even 9 or 10 parallax layers.

Can you just imagine how huge they could make something like Lava Reef Zone look?

Have the background be miles and miles away.

Edited by Scar

Lave Reef? Hell yes. Fuuuck. Some of the stages in S3&K would like freaking amazing. I want to see this happen

Mysic cave zone? Oil Ocean Zone? Sky Sanctuary Zone?

DEATH EGG ZONE!!!!! They could make it look like you're moving around in a VAST space station.

Holy shit....my mind.....too much awesome......

Also Colours. With 8GB of storage, they could easily cram that game onto the 3DS.

Edited by Scar

Hydrocity even, which I thought always had a surprisingly intricate background, could look sick.

Dare I say it, Lost labyrinth Zone. Sure S4 wasn't great, but I loved Lost Labyrinths Art style, and those backgrounds......it would looks so good in 3D.

Edited by Scar