Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

Steel Diver, a submariner game that was originally shown as a tech demo for the DS (the sub controls made rather impressive use of the touch screen back in the day), is apparently making a comeback. Evidently, a small team has been working away on the game (in their spare time, perhaps) ever since, and now it's a full 3DS game.

0.png

3ds_steeldiver_00sshw_e3.jpg

According to peeps in the know, this could be a pack in, as the game is meant to have some amazing 3D effects. I think it could be a killer app in the making.

Looks nice! Somewhat gives me a Dreamcast feel...Don't really know why...Wonder what other goodies are planned for the 3DS?

Now if only the 3DS itself looked good.

Seriously though, the DS lite and the DSi look really good from a design point of veiw, but the 3DS?

The thing is WAY to angular and the two-tome looks shite.

I'll wait for the inevitable "lite" version when that comes out.

OLOLOLOL

PSP 2 Should Just Copy the Screen of the Nintendo 3DS, Says Pachter

Talking to IndustryGamer, Pachter stated, “I'm completely baffled by Sony's PSP strategy. They owned the portable entertainment market with the Walkman, and sat back and watched as Nintendo dominated games and Apple dominated music.”

He added, “If Sony were really smart, they'd emulate the 3DS and put a 3D screen on the PSP2,” but also talked about how the pricing of the upcoming 3DS will strongly influence

At the moment the public has little to no details about the PlayStation Portable 2, with Sony not even talking about its existence.

Recently a Mortal Kombat developer admitted that his team had a PSP 2 in the office, presumably in order to see if they were willing to bring their fighting game to it, and said that the tests they had done suggested that it was a “pretty powerful machine.”

The fact that Sony has test PSP 2 machines out at developers suggests that the company is in the late stages of design for the handheld and that it's just waiting for the right moment to begin talking about it publicly.

Nintendo also sought to keep the upcoming 3DS secret earlier this year but talked about it once the Japanese gaming press got word of its existence.

The 3DS will be the first console to allow gamers to experience games in three dimensions without using any special glasses, with a host of developers already announcing that they would develop titles for it.

Nintendo has said that the new platform will be launch in Japan before 2010 is done, with a date and pricing coming in late September, with North America and Europe getting it during the spring of 2011.

lolPatcher's at it again guise!

Now if only the 3DS itself looked good.

Seriously though, the DS lite and the DSi look really good from a design point of veiw, but the 3DS?

The thing is WAY to angular and the two-tome looks shite.

I'll wait for the inevitable "lite" version when that comes out.

I think it looks quite nice, the angles are a step away from the smooth roundedness that has dominated design since Apple introduced its first iPod (and likely before then, too). It's also probable that the design choices made on the 3DS' aesthetics, and those to be made on the 3DS Lite, will be represented in the aesthetics of the Wii's successor platform, which means we're possibly looking at the start of the next six-eight years of Nintendo platform design.

So long as it's comfy to hold, I'm sold on it.

I think it looks quite nice, the angles are a step away from the smooth roundedness that has dominated design since Apple introduced its first iPod (and likely before then, too). It's also probable that the design choices made on the 3DS' aesthetics, and those to be made on the 3DS Lite, will be represented in the aesthetics of the Wii's successor platform, which means we're possibly looking at the start of the next six-eight years of Nintendo platform design.

So long as it's comfy to hold, I'm sold on it.

I don't mind the angularness per se, it just doesn't look right.

It doesn't look as good as the DS Lite or DSi.

The sharp angularness just accentuates the extra bulk on the bottom half.

Nintendo can't stick to the same designs forever, nor can they please everybody with the ones they choose to utilize. I like the change of design, and I appreciate that the system needs to be visually distinct from its predecessors to avoid consumer confusion and press anger at a potentially highly unoriginal design.

I don't see how they could have been more original with the system's aesthetics without introducing designs commonly seen in phones, such as the sliding top half. Perhaps that's where they'll venture in future 3DS iterations? Who knows.

I think it looks quite nice, the angles are a step away from the smooth roundedness that has dominated design since Apple introduced its first iPod (and likely before then, too).

The design would be fine if the build quality didn't look so poor.

Oh wow, that game looks terrible. I also laughed at the use of Sims 3 music.

Backlighting the buttons is incredibly pointless but incredibly awesome at the same time. Do want.

Tonight, at about 4am GMT (11pm EST / 8pm PST), Nintendo's conference begins. Journalists can be expected to see videos, screens and get to play games (as well as hear the announcements), so I suppose it's up to them (or Nintendo, if they randomly NDA it) if we see anything new, or just hear about it instead.

It's also worth pointing out that this isn't just a 3DS conference, but Nintendo's general fall conference. The Wii Remote Plus is almost certainly going to be officially announced and Skyward Sword will most likely get a new video (and date, if we're lucky, since it's supposed to be out VERY SOON; Q1 according to E3), and there could be some Wii surprises too.

Is anyone going to be up around 4 ~ 6am GMT, when it is supposed to happen? A Japanese website is liveblogging it, which means information should come to us fairly quickly. Since it's a general Nintendo conference, and the first sizeable bit of 3DS news since E3, a new thread seems more suitable and it would be best if whoever makes it is actually around to update it and let people know what happened.

I'm liking the telescopic stylus. Now if only they could say something about the launch titles, pricing, and date. We could guess on what NA and EU are getting from there. Unless, of course, Nintendo drops a bombshell and confirms a worldwide release.

LOTS of things being revealed including virtual console for Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games, 2 GB SD Card included with 3DS free, and more. Follow event here:

http://www.coveritlive.com/index.php?option=com_altcaster&task=siteviewaltcast&altcast_code=b3798a2506&height=600&width=800

FEBRUARY 26th 3DS RELEASE DATE in JAPAN

March release date for US and Europe.

COST: Almost $300.

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper

LOTS of things being revealed including virtual console for Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games.

YES.

*Explodes*

Finally my chance to own the GB and GBC games that I missed out on.

Edited by chaoscontrol14

As said on last page, release date is February 26th in Japan, March in US and Europe.

Japan price is 25000 yen, almost $300 US dollars. Launch colors are Black and Blue.

Ocarina of Time for the 3DS also seems to still be appearing. It being developed now confirmed?

Edited by Dusk the Wisp Keeper

Launch colors are Black and Blue.

I was just about to post about how amazingly awesome it was that we get GB and GBA games in THREEE DEEEEE.

But fuck you Nintendo. I want purple!!

• Thumbs Up 1