Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

No red at launch? In that case I'm waiting for Legends 3 or the hot rod, whichever comes first.

And much like I suspected, the metallic paint appears to be gone. Maybe I'll just grab some of that duplicolor for plastic and make my own hot rod.

$300?

Looks like I won't be getting one of these any time soon.

It would have to be less than that. Nintendo would have to be friggin' crazy to try and sell a handheld for a console price.

I'm betting on 250 USD. Still pretty pricy, but not a complete turn off.

Youtube'd

Embedded!

Oh god this is looking to have a stellar first year/eighteen month line-up; Mario Kart, Metal Gear, Monkey Ball, Paper Mario, Resident Evil, Ridge Racer, StarFox, Steel Diver, Zelda to name but a few. I suddenly and quite madly want one of these fine machines. It comes out in March, but if I wait until next June to ask for one I don't have to pay... but if I'm moving to the US sometime next year it'd probably pay to buy an American one since it'll probably be region-locked, but my parents would hardly know (or remember once told!) to get one... God damn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nice trailer, but if I come home from work one day and find that my Ryu has been beaten by some punk ass kid's Ken I'll be fucking livid.

Launch colors are Black and Blue.

NUUUUuuuuuu!

Well, I guess I'll wait for the Red version like I waited for the White DSi to come out, plus it gives me time to save the big bucks necessary to buy the thing.

March? How disappointing. :(

Though it's not that bad, right? Since Japan isn't getting it until the end of February, neither NA or EU is going to get shafted. We'll both be getting it within a month of the Japanese release.

It's for the better really. There are so many games coming out on platforms I already own this holiday season (not to mention having to buy holiday gifts for people) that having to buy a 3DS would have put me in the poor house.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo Announces Price and Launch Date of “Nintendo 3DS” in Japan

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100929e.pdf

Nintendo Co., Ltd. will launch "Nintendo 3DS," a portable system that enables the viewing of 3D images without the need for special glasses on February 26, 2011; in Japan at the suggested retail price of 25,000 yen.

Nintendo's overseas subsidiaries will make separate announcements at later dates regarding territory-specific launch dates and prices.

Included in the hardware package are:

Nintendo 3DS hardware unit

Nintendo 3DS recharging cradle

Nintendo 3DS AC adapter

Nintendo 3DS stylus

2GB SD memory card

6 AR Cards (used for games with AR technologies)

Quick-Start Guide

Operations Manual

Warrantee Card

Nintendo 3DS functions:

◇ Upper Screen can show 3D images without the need for special glasses

3D effect is adjustable with 3D Depth Slider. Possible to make the image 2D.

◇ Stereo Camera to take 3D photos With the two lenses outside, 3D pictures can be taken and seen on the spot.

◇ New Control Interface - Circle Pad, Motion Sensor, Gyro Sensor

◇ SpotPass - While Nintendo 3DS is in sleep mode, it automatically detects Nintendo Zone and certain wireless access points to receive information, game data, free software, pictures, etc. from the Internet without input from the consumers.

◇ StreetPass - While Nintendo 3DS is in sleep mode, it automatically exchanges data with other Nintendo 3DS units. It is possible to transmit data for multiple games simultaneously.

◇ Useful built-in functions that can be used without turning off the game play include: HOME Menu, Web Browser, Notifications, etc.

◇ Preinstalled software - Nintendo 3DS Camera, Nintendo 3DS Sound, Mii Studio*, StreetPass Mii Plaza*, AR Games*, Activity Log, etc. (* temp; direct translation from the Japanese)

◇ Download service to purchase game software and additional content In addition to the purchase of software, it is possible to view sample software videos and software sales rankings.

◇ Software Data Transfer - Possible to transfer downloaded software to the new Nintendo 3DS system It is also possible to transfer Nintendo DSiWare from Nintendo DSi/DSi XL to Nintendo 3DS

* Limited number of transfers allowed.

* Some software cannot be transferred.

◇ Compatibility - In addition to new Nintendo 3DS-dedicated software, it also can run Nintendo DS software and Nintendo DSi software.

◇ Parental Controls So that children will be able to use the product safely, parental control functions already available on Nintendo DSi, such as restricting the game play in accordance with age rating and restricting the use of Web Browser, will be enhanced.

Size (when closed):

Approximately 5.3 inches wide, 2.9 inches long, 0.8 inches tall.

Weight:

Approximately 8 ounces.

Top Screen:

3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D viewing without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).

Touch Screen:

3.02-inch LCD with 320x240 pixel resolution

Cameras:

One inner camera and two outer cameras with 640x480 (0.3 Mega) pixel resolution.

Wireless Communication:

Can communicate in the 2.4 GHz band. Multiple Nintendo 3DS systems can connect via a local wireless connection to enable users to communicate or enjoy competitive game play. Systems also can connect to LAN access points to access the Internet and enable people to enjoy games with others. Will support IEEE 802.11 with enhanced security (WPA/WPA2).

Game Controls:

Touch screen, embedded microphone, A/B/X/Y face buttons, + Control Pad, L/R buttons, Start and Select buttons, "Circle Pad" that allows 360-degree analog input, one inner camera, two outer cameras, motion sensor and a gyro sensor.

Other Input Controls:

3D Depth Slider to adjust level of 3D effect (can be scaled back or turned off completely depending on the preference of the user), HOME button to call system function, Wireless switch to turn off wireless communications (even during game play), Power button.

Input/Output:

A game card slot, an SD memory card slot, an AC adapter connector, a charging cradle terminal and a stereo headphone output jack.

Sound:

Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen.

Stylus:

The telescoping stylus is approximately 4 inches when fully extended.

Battery: Lithium ion battery details TBA.

Nintendo 3DS Game Card:

The same size as a Nintendo DS game card. 2 GB max. at launch.

Some pretty interesting information in there. Additionally, Japanese consumers will be getting a 3DS 3D-TV streaming service starting next year. I doubt the west will see such treatment for a generation or two, and even then it won't be free.

March? How disappointing. :(

Though it's not that bad, right? Since Japan isn't getting it until the end of February, neither NA or EU is going to get shafted. We'll both be getting it within a month of the Japanese release.

March is the usual time of year that Nintendo launches a DS system. The original system and DSi were both released in March (with DS Lite launching in June as I recall), the only difference in this case, is that Japan is getting it a month before rather than in November or something.

I'm pretty pumped for this system, though I've been a strong DS advocate since the original system launched so may be a bit biased. Though the new improvements to the system OS look good, certainly interested in the connection possibilities and the augmented reality stuff (imagine augmented reality Pokemon Cards!). It looks like Nintendo is gradually learning how to handle certain things better, bet it'll have region lock like the DSi though : (. But all the same the system as a whole seems very exciting. It may be my graduation gift to myself XD

Presentation Movie and Text now available in English.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2010/presentation/movE/index.html

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n10/conference2010/presentation/textE/index.html

Has anyone else read through the .pdf file Nintendo put out? They specifically mention downloading extra bits and bobs from 'Nintendo Zone'. Sounds like the big N might finally have pulled its finger out and got itself a defined online strategy/portal ala Xbox LIVE and PSN.

So, no word on Region Lock :(

No official word yet, but it's probably safe to assume it is region locked for now.

What's AR, by the way?

Augmented Reality.

From IGN:

Nintendo of Europe has confirmed that the 3DS will be out in March 2011 in its own territories and that it will confirm further details at a later date, while we await confirmation of a US release date from Nintendo of America.

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/112/1124158p1.html

Should have expected Nintendo Europe to keep us waiting for a date. Oh well, no biggie. It's months away yet.

The Mii's could be used as accounts. But I don't really see a reason for accounts anyway.

Because not having them but at the same time promising a large amount of downloadable stuff being available for the system is absurd.

I fail to see how that is absurd.

* Limited number of transfers allowed.

* Some software cannot be transferred.

That wouldn't exist, for starters.

There also wouldn't be the current "you turn your Nintendo points into Wii points or DS points and you cannot change them" system than Nintendo has in place.

Edited by Tornado