Awoo.

Nintendo 3DS

Patticus

So maybe £189.99?(I'm going by adding the price difference of the DSi and the DSiXL) That's rounded up 230€ D:

So maybe £189.99?(I'm going by adding the price difference of the DSi and the DSiXL) That's rounded up 230€ D:

No, he means somewhere about the range of those 2 DSi prices. So it could be £129.99, could be £159.99 or maybe somewhere between.

No, he means somewhere about the range of those 2 DSi prices. So it could be £129.99, could be £159.99 or maybe somewhere between.

Hmm, it does sound like something that's up for interpretation. Basically I don't think it'll stray far from that price range.

That sounds way too good to be true ._.

The DSi will inevitably receive another price cut when the 3DS is released since the tech will be outdated and DSi XL will likely get a price cut too, so i don't think it's too much to expect it to be priced between £129.99 and £159.99. The guy says it'll be around those prices so if it were more than £159.99, I wouldn't expect more than another £10 on top of that. Nintendo always keep their handhelds cheap, so I'm sure they won't want to go down the PSP route with this.

PSP's launch price was $249 and is inferior in technical specs when put up with the 3DS. It still sold its fair share and if you'd want to compare the two, 3DS is pretty fair and cheap for what it is.

The DSi XL costs around $229 over where I live. You'd think that the 3DS would be more expensive than that, wouldn't you?

Frankly I haven't kept up with the PSP much at all, kill me for that, but I guess you'd be right. Not using a currency converting program while writing that post didn't help either.

I just checked a few country websites and both DSi and DSi XL are at 149.99€ and 179.99€ respectively here in Portugal. Not sure how that translates to pounds or dollars so I won't say anything (from the values I remember being mentioned on the news last time I think it's close, if not equal price). If going with the teaser from Nintendo UK, maybe 179€ to 199€, to still give that 'omg new tech' benefit?

Eh, y'know what, the hell to that price... I believe Nintendo will make it affordable to some extent, no need to worry so much about it.

Edited by MickX

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post!

Play.com are listing 3 colours of the handheld and at the whopping price of £199.99

http://www.play.com/Games/DS/4-/15476775/Nintendo-3DS-Console-Blue/Product.html

You have to look at the side bar under 'Recently Viewed Items' to see it.

screenshot_235877.jpg

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=259978

Likely just a placeholder though.

I wouldn't read too much into that at the moment. They're taking an educated guess is all.

Yeah they're probably just trying to get early pre-orders, fair enough.

If that interview is to be believed, it should be around the price of the XL? I guess. Which is pretty good, I hope it's true.

So the chunky edges and somewhat questionable D-Pad placement won't be touched. So, 3DS Lite in 2012!

So the chunky edges and somewhat questionable D-Pad placement won't be touched. So, 3DS Lite in 2012!

The fans will be so mad that the world will end.

Why an I not surprised about the E3 model being final after Nintendo said it's not final...

This shouldn't be a real surprise to anyone.

For some time now they have been following the same system pattern. First, a chunky system. Then comes the lite/slim system. Nice way to make extra money.

I wouldn't by the model straight away, not because it's chunky though, but because it's always the first model that has all the problems.

Edited by A.C.193

This shouldn't be a real surprise to anyone.

For some time now they have been following the same system pattern. First, a chunky system. Then comes the lite/slim system. Nice way to make extra money.

I wouldn't by the model straight away, not because it's chunky though, but because it's always the first model that has all the problems.

DS Lite has all the problems as far s DS's got. Tinted screens, terrible hinge, many a dead pixel...

Edited by Blue Blood

It's much less weighty however, much easier on the hands and wrists, sports a good size of stylus, and its screens are much brighter than the Phat. These are design alterations that I value highly.

I still prefer the Phat to the Lite.

Ergonomics over Aesthetics. The buttons are much better.

Plus being weighty isn't a bad thing, it's a comfortable weight that fits in my hand.

And the 3DS will still be lighter. I can't believe people are calling it "clunky" considering it looks less clunky than the DSL, rofl.

Even with all of the crap that my half-dozen DSLs have given me, I would never consider a Phat over a Lite.

And the 3DS will still be lighter. I can't believe people are calling it "clunky" considering it looks less clunky than the DSL, rofl.

I said chunky, not clunky.

Even with all of the crap that my half-dozen DSLs have given me, I would never consider a Phat over a Lite.

Every time for me.

I said chunky, not clunky.

That's still almost as hilarious.

It's arguably smaller and more compact than a DSL, which itself is far less chunky than most PSP models.

Really as far as first model handhelds go it's pretty fucking neato.

Besides, the 3DS is what, Ninty's 6th attempt at a clam shell designed handheld? I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing by now.

One would think so, but I don't think we can assume that they will get it right this time just because they did in the past. They fucked the DS Lite up royally in regards to the clamshell itself after doing things perfectly with the GBA SP and DS Phat.

That's still almost as hilarious.

It's arguably smaller and more compact than a DSL, which itself is far less chunky than most PSP models.

I didn't mean size, or I would have said size. I said chunky because I meant chunky. Every area on the system has some unnecessarily rough edge or poorly sandwiched panel gap that makes it looks like some kind of Tonka toy, far removed from the smooth rounded edges and paper thin tolerances that all of the DS models after the original have had. Strictly speaking, the system looks like a rough prototype, and when the lid is closed it looks like shit.

Edited by Tornado

I dunno. To me 3DS just looks like Nintendo wanted it to look like a gaming device rather than any old gadget, like they did with the DSi and Lite. It's chunky, but I don't really think that's a bad thing. It's just the way the top half is wider that the bottom that's weird.