Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I'm happy to hear the anniv special is well over an hour, sounds like we'll be in for a treat.

And seeing Bradley as Hartnell is making me wish even more than we were having a bigger multidoctor episode with classic Doctors.

So after that amazing prom, I thought it's best share the most noteworthy part of the evening, though there was plenty - Murray Gold's 50th theme, Song for Fifty

Also, the BBC is slowly uploading videos from the Prom to their YouTube channel. Here's Matt and Jenna in character making their prom appearance.

With all this talk of the Doctor Who Prom, I'd just like to say... I was there! In the audience! biggrin.png

It truly was a phenomenal evening, the atmosphere in the auditorium was electric (aside from everyone absolutely melting because of the heat!) and it was full of great surprises. Matt Smith and Jenna Coleman appearing on stage was certainly a treat, but when the likes of Peter Davison and Carole Ann Ford - as well as Madame Vastra and Strax in full make up - joined them, it was absolutely incredible. 

The usual cavalcade of monsters were roaming the building as well. Daleks, Cybermen, Judoon, Ood, Sontarans, Whispermen, Vampire Girls, Silurians, Weeping Angels, and even an Ice Warrior that smashed its way out of a block of ice in the middle of the crowd... pretty much every one was there!

And then, of course, the music! Needless to say, it was great. The running order was as follows, spanning quite a lot of Doctor Who's history (as opposed to previous proms where they've very much focused on what series is on at the time):

Act One

1. The Mad Man With A Box

2. I Am The Doctor

3. Carmen (Suite No. 2) - Habanera

4. The Companions (Rose/Martha/Donna/Amy)

5. Cyber Shard

6. Toccata and Fugue in D minor

7. The Final Chapter of Amelia Pond

8. The Rings of Akhaten

Act Two

9. All The Strange, Strange Creatures

10. The Impossible Girl

11. The Girl With The Flaxen Hair

12. Classic Doctor Who Medley

13. Doctor Who "Create a Soundtrack" Winners

14. First There Were Daleks

15. The Name of The Doctor

16. Song For Fifty

Encore

17. Vale Decem

18. Doctor Who Theme

Here's a few photos I took of the Royal Albert Hall and the view from my seat:

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/MKSkillz/20130713_203920.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/MKSkillz/20130713_191310.jpg

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/MKSkillz/20130713_203920.jpg

And naturally, the programme was TARDIS themed: 

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj12/MKSkillz/20130714_094449.jpg

So, all in all, it was a fantastic night and I'm very glad I managed to get tickets! biggrin.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Murray Gold Interviewed: (Hints at "controversial" 50th, and talks about Doctor Who music) From Den of Geek:

Composer Murray Gold has been one of the very few constants since the return of Doctor Who in 2005. His work on the world's greatest show has been sublime, constantly delivering memorable themes, beautiful soundscapes and heartbreaking melodies each week. I caught up with Murray on the eve of his return to the Royal Albert Hall for the Doctor Who Proms and chatted all things Who, from series one to series eight… 

What were your feelings when you hear Matt was leaving Doctor Who?

I thought, 'Well that means a lot of work!' [Laughs] I thought, 'Oh my god, are we really not going to hear I Am The Doctor again?' [Laughs] I instantly began to think. 'Could we use it for the next one as well?' Does it maybe capture something eternally Doctorish, does it have to not be there ever again until Matt appears again, as hopefully one day he will, on some new version of the multi-Doctor story. Are we never going to hear I Am The Doctor again until the 60th? [Laughs] If we don't, then what follows it has to be stronger. I think that, in a way, I Am The Doctor is stronger than the themes Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant had. So, I was thinking those thoughts. [Laughs] 

Sad to see him go?

Yeah, 'cos he's brilliant. He's brilliant regardless of what he's given to do, which is always good. Matt has a very interesting internal energy, which he allows to show. He's a child, he's an old man - everybody knows this. People have had since 2010 to notice this about him. He's really so good. 

I was working on another show recently, not Doctor Who... 

[Mock shock] What!?!

I know, heresy! [Laughs] and I thought, 'If only any of these actors could be as good as Matt Smith'. They got it right when they cast him, for sure. Let's hope they do again. 

Have you started thinking about the music for Eleventh's regeneration?

No. Because that's the only part of whatever the Christmas Special will be that we've had music for before. I've written music for regeneration sequences. If it ends up being an hour-long episode then I get about fifty minutes of music with the National Orchestra of Wales. If the episode becomes one hour fifteen [minutes], for example, usually have to find fifteen/twenty minutes of music from some other source other than the most recent session. So, if there was a regeneration sequence and I was short of orchestra music, I might fill it from another regeneration sequence, the music I mean. 

I still think the regeneration music in episode thirteen, series one [Bad Wolf] is the regeneration music. 

Not Vale Decem (Tennant's regeneration song)?

Well, that went back to the tune of Christopher Eccleston [Murray starts to sing the tune] when he actually thunderbolts, when he orgasmatrons. [Laughs] 

I just don't know how it's gonna happen. Vale Decem could not have been written without a walk through the snow with an Ood sent to lead him to his death. I don't know what Steven's [Moffat] gonna do. Maybe it'll all be chat and talk and then a regeneration, and sound effects - certainly won't be room for a song. 

It just depends how Steven writes it. I'm sure he's aware that there's potential for something musical. Nudge, nudge! [Laughs]

Have you started to think about the Twelfth Doctor theme tune yet?

I've thought about it, for sure. I think it should maybe link to the Eleventh Doctor's theme somehow. If there was a way of doing that, though I just have to wait and see. Maybe it'll be a horse. Maybe the next Doctor will be an animal of some kind. A crab. A little sideways-moving crab that demands a slightly adventurous foxtrot.  [Laughs] 

I don't know if I can top I Am The Doctor. Maybe it can metamorphose somehow. I don't know what's out there, imaginatively - maybe there's something that will come to mind. Again, it depends who's cast. And how the first episode looks. 

Do you think the Twelfth Doctor could be female?

If it were a woman that would be really interesting. We're resistant, even I sometimes found it difficult to listen to the wonderful Alison Mitchell commentating on Test Match Special. Sometimes you're just hard-wired but it doesn't take very long before you get used to something. Who's to say she wouldn't have a female companion as well? There's no story you can't write for Doctor Who

To me, not for everybody, what's important that it has wit, charm and imagination, and everything else is less important. The show's as imaginable in as many different ways as there are good writers. 

When Steven Moffat decides to stand down as show runner, whenever that may be, who do you think is up to the task?

Richard Curtis. Neil Cross. I'm sure there's a lot of people who would love to do it.

You're a writer, you could do it!

Yeah! [Laughs] I'm sure I wouldn't do a very good job. I like making things, I don't like phone calls. 

You're currently working on the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special, anything you can share with us?

There's some really interesting things to say about that but I can't say them. It's very, very well directed. There's a thing they've done in it, which might be controversial… It's interesting though. 

Have you used any old themes in it?

Well, yeah. I had this really weird nostalgic feeling - and you have to bear in mind I am not good at revisiting my own past being reminded of where I was three years ago, onwards is my motto. So, suddenly being where I am now, used to seeing Matt on screen and then suddenly seeing David there. Definitely gonna use some music that is resonant of David's time.

Any Zygon music?

No, but I really like Geoffrey Burgon. That's my favourite time of Doctor Who (not including the time I worked on it). They do remind me a bit of Hilda Ogden! You know, like the rollers in her hair. [Laughs] They always have. I've always been a bit confused. I used to have a Hilda Ogden t-shirt, I was a fan.

Your theme tune for the Eleventh Doctor, I Am The Doctor, has become as iconic as the actual theme tune.

I really like that piece of music, there's something lovely about it. It's got three clean parts - it's got a lovely little jokey bit where it goes onto the woodwind [Murray sings], then it's got the big crescendo into the explode bit  [Murray imitates brass], it's all space-timey! Then it goes back to the riff. A nice selection of moods in quite a short space of time. It's celebratory as well. 

I was asked if I was pleased to get this 'good versus evil' theme music. But that's not Doctor Who, that's an American big Hollywood blockbuster. That's Superman. That's Batman. That's a Manichaen universe where good and evil are in permanent war. What we have in Doctor Who is an intergalactic Atticus Finch who says there is something good to be seen in everything. Most of the time. 

Are you involved in Doctor Who Series 8?

But what's the point of me not doing Doctor Who? There's still nothing better to write for. In terms of what it brings out in me, it forces me to write music I'm proud of in a way that a lot of other shows wouldn't. I'd love to carry on doing it because, honestly, there's nothing better to write for. 

The music captures the best parts of the show, in feeling. We preserve them and there they are. I've never not given everything. I've never not put Doctor Who first. I haven't sold the show short

What do you think defines the Russell T Davies and Steven Moffat eras?

Russell's was the era of stumbling generosity, overreaching generosity. Steven's is the era of the introspective epic. So I think there's the external versus the internal in some way. Russell always says about every character he writes, you can just see them walking down the street. You can take all of his characters and see them walking down the street, wherever you live. Steven's plots happen in a place that's not necessarily real. So, asking if you could see them walking down the street in Britain isn't even the point. He [steven Moffat] deals with, if I can be really pretentious for a while, the Genet-like question of whether a character is really just a character playing a character or whether they have a foundational reality to them in psychological terms. That's happened with all of his characters, he's questioned their existence as a character. Are they the character we think they are?Are they that person? Are they just a character playing a character? 

Two different approaches. Steven tends to be more claustrophobic, Russell tends to be more airy. Russell roots things in reality. Steven, not that he doesn't root things in reality, becomes interested in things that are internal, much faster. 

Have the notes and directions changed from the different eras?

I have a lot of free rein. Marcus [Wilson, executive producer] has been at the forefront in the dubs recently. He looks after the dubs to a certain extent. Neyrs [Davies], who's the post-production supervisor, is in contact with me on Doctor Who pretty much more than anyone else.

A few years back, it would definitely be Russell and Julie [Gardener, former executive producer]. Then it would be Piers [Wenger, former exec prod]. 

Tell us about your celebration composition for the 50th Anniversary, Song for Fifty.

I stood up in front of the choir last night, and they rehearsed it. Neither Ben [Foster, conductor] or I had heard it. I delivered all of the score to Ben a couple of weeks before. It took me a month to do it. I never get a month on any piece of music. 

I thought, 'If I were to write a song for the fiftieth anniversary, what would it be?' And I thought about something more modernist, more complicated, more knotty, more serious but no, in the end, seriousness isn't about how complicated something is, or how difficult something is to do. Seriousness is about the quality of your perception and your feeling.

I started playing something on the piano and then recorded it, with me singing over the top; just simple. I  kept that recording and over a month I orchestrated it and wrote all of the words. 

I wanted to write about The Doctor and everything that I've talked about in interviews, since I started on the job, about this character that I love. I took a line from The Girl in the Fireplace about the 'slow road'. It's a song that constantly juxtaposes all of us in the Royal Albert Hall as being on the slow road, taking life one day, one month at a time - with no escape from that. And there's The Doctor, whizzing around, at his whim and to some extent we're condemned. And this is a fifty year chunk of time where we've been experiencing this fantasy of being able to fly through time. During that time, some of us have had kids, some of us have lost people, some of us have grown extra family members but everybody in that hall will have one way or another to relate to that idea. 

By the third verse, where the tenor says, 'So, my dear friend. You're getting kind of old now,' we're actually talking about this person who's been in our lives as a reference point. People, in all kinds of the moments in their lives, have said, 'I wish I could be The Doctor and just go back and fix it. Fix it.'

The song came together really well. I'm playing the piano, I'm going to try to. It's gonna be quite moving, it's a very emotional song.

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hot on the heels of the Doctor Who Prom comes this Murray Gold themed announcement...

DrWho-Series7-cover.jpg

http://www.doctorwhomusic.com/doctor-who-series-7/

The soundtrack will feature the likes of "The Final Chapter of Amelia Pond", "The Impossible Girl", and "The Name of The Doctor" which were all performed live at this weekend's Prom.

I must say, I'm really tempted by this, if only for that stunning Asylum of the Daleks artwork! Very, very nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

Finally! I've collected all of the previous soundtracks, so there's no doubt I'm getting this one! The Asylum artwork looks fantastic! Looks like it will really stand out on shelves and in a collection. I'll probably be picking it up near Christmas, though.

That's not all! The Complete Seventh Series DVD and Blu-Ray box set will be arriving in the US on 24th September, containing all 14 episodes of Series 7 as well as the 2011 Christmas special The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe.

DoctorWho_CompleteS7_DVD.jpg

Extras will include audio commentaries, “behind the scenes features” for every episode, prequels, plus additional specials including Doctor Who in the US, Last Day of the Ponds, Pond Life, The Science of Doctor Who, The Companions and Doctor Who at Comic Con.

http://news.whoviannet.co.uk/2013/07/complete-series-7-boxset-details-us-release-date/

Hopefully, they'll release/announce the UK version soon, because I was going to pick up Series 7:B this weekend, but I might wait a little and get the UK version of that, which they'll likely release near that date too. I own the Special Edition of Series 7:A on Blu-Ray, and don't want to get it roughed up, so getting the complete series would be good for that too.

Yeah I'm sure they'll release the UK version of the complete box-set around the same time as the US, there were only a few days between the Series 7 Part 2 releases if I remember rightly.

I must say I'm glad they're including the 2011 Christmas special in this, too. What with the series spanning two years as it is, as well as The Snowmen in between the two parts, it's good to see that they haven't forgotten The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe (even if it wasn't a particularly memorable story in itself). It means I can continue my complete line of box-sets from Series 1-7 without having to buy any additional standalone episodes to fill in the gaps! Huzzah :D

Anyone else slightly worried about him saying the 50th might be considered controversial? That and there are no classic series Doctors in it makes me cautious.

Edited by The Third Doctor

More Doctor Who Soundtracks coming soon too!

These are a bit more special, and a bit more limited. A remastered Vinyl LP of the soundtrack to the Seventh Doctor story "Ghost Light", limited to 500 copies will be out 26th August this year.

Also, another Vinyl LP, or rather a duo, also limited to 500 copies, is the Series 1 & 2 soundtrack, releasing 19th August this year!

ghost-light-soundtrack-vinyl-series-1-2.

Heathrow Airport Invaded by Doctor Who Monsters, TARDIS and Orchestra come to save the day:

doctor-who-heathrow-airport-2013-5.jpg

(This needs some epic music)

doctor-who-heathrow-airport-2013-7.jpg

(Here we see an angry Cyberman, his flight has been delayed. He is at the desk complaining about how he's off to a family event, and will now miss it thanks to the delay.)

doctor-who-heathrow-airport-2013-6.jpg

(He's now happy as he's been given vouchers for food at the airport restaurants.)

doctor-who-heathrow-airport-2013-1.jpg

(I don't even know where he goes on a plane... Passenger or cargo?)

doctor-who-heathrow-airport-2013-2.jpg

(People were talking about the new air conditioning, and how it felt like really wind, Heathrow Airport denied any new air conditioning. Yet strange noises were heard when the so called "Air conditioning" was on...)

doctor-who-heathrow-airport-2013-3.jpg

(Fight them... WITH MUSIC!)

doctor-who-heathrow-airport-2013-4.jpg

(TARDIS Lady (Idris, Sexy, whatever) regenerated when the new TARDIS set was created?)

Nah, that's Jenny Colgan, Doctor Who book Author. She wrote 'Dark Horizons' and was there signing books. She's also working on a second Doctor Who book provisionally titled 'Into the Nowhere'.

• Thumbs Up 2

10th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote incoming!

tenth-doctor-sonic-remote.jpg

Firebox, home of the coolest things you can buy, today launches the latest essential accessory for Doctor Who fans; the Tenth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver Universal Remote Control. Launched in conjunction with the Wand Company and BBC Worldwide, it may not sink ships or triangulate the source of ghoulish ghosts, but it is a fully functioning replica and a must-have for aspiring Time Lords everywhere.

Painstakingly 3D scanned from the original screen-used prop, actually loaned by David Tennant himself, the Tenth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver Remote Control is a faithful clone. Featuring genuine extending action, made using the highest-grade materials and sizing up as a complete 1:1 replica, it looks, feels and works just like the real thing.

This advanced, gesture-based universal remote control can be quickly and easily programmed utilising infrared technology to control almost all home entertainment equipment. From iPod docks, TVs and DVD & Blu-ray players this will gain complete control with a simple flick, twist or tap of the device.

The FX mode plays authentic special effect sounds from the BBC archives of Doctor Who and the bright illuminating tip will light the way no matter which corner of the universe you find yourself in. A die cast metal stand is also included, complete with Gallifreyan text inscription which doubles as a magnet making it the perfect, upright display platform. It also comes in an exquisite protective case to ensure its safe-passage through time and space.

p6153_column_grid_12.jpg

Ben Redhead, buyer at Firebox.com said, “This is a quality, stunning piece of kit and the attention to detail means this is the real deal. The sonic screwdriver is the most iconic and versatile tool this side of Jalian 17, so Doctor Who fans of all ages are in for an absolute treat.”

Chris Barnardo, Co-founder of The Wand Company says, “Following the incredible success of the Eleventh incarnation and as a result of quite sensational demand, we decided to create the Tenth Doctor’s Sonic Screwdriver Remote Control. We’ve crammed this full of tech, to create a fully-functioning, authentic-looking gesture-based universal remote that we hope fans will adore.”

tenth-sonic-remote-vertical-300x585.jpg

• Control your TV, iPod & other gadgets with mulitple gestures
  • 4 modes to help you become a fully-fledged Time Lord
  • 1:1 scale replica
  • Officially licensed by BBC Worldwide
  • Made by 3D scanning David Tennant’s Tenth Sonic Screwdriver!
  • Constructed using high quality materials
  • Display stand & case included to show off your prized possession

It's available to preorder from Firebox at £69.95

http://www.firebox.com/product/6153/Tenth-Doctors-Sonic-Screwdriver-Universal-Remote-Control?via=hp&s=2x2&t=feature

Doctor Who Magazine #463 cover:

dwm-463.jpg

This issue is celebrating 10 years since the announcement of the revival, and will be on sale Thursday 25 July 2013, at £4.75

Mark Gatiss on Series 8 and Show-running: (From TARDIB)

“It is lovely to write for the series when you have never done it before, but to continue to do so and to make new things for a new Doctor, it is a kind of different challenge.”

He was also asked about whether he would be interested in taking over as head writer when Steven Moffat eventually departs the show.

He said: “Steven will never leave. I hope that he will never leave! I can’t say much about it, life is too complicated and strange to know when this sort of thing will happen.”

• Thumbs Up 1

While I do personally enjoy Steven's stories, I do hope Gatiss takes over when Steven leaves.

Matt Smith Interviewed by IGN at Comic-Con:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5cyHssh4wx4

• Thumbs Up 2

Doctor Who Comic Con Panel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dXausp-UdL8

So, since the trailer for the 50th Special was at Comic Con, and Moffat said that the audience should not film it, here's a breakdown from io9:

The trailer starts out on a haunting, dark note — Matt Smith is walking in the TARDIS, while in voiceover he says, "I've had many faces. Many lives. I don't admit to all of them. There's one life I've tried very hard to forget." And we glimpse the Doctor talking to Clara about his greatest secret.

And then — what looks like the Time War, between the Daleks and the Time Lords! Seriously. Daleks blowing up, flames everywhere, everything going to Hell. And in the middle of all the carnage, John Hurt as the non-Doctor, looking resolute. "Great men are forged in fire," he says. And then something about being the man who lit the flames.

And then, we get Tennant and Smith. Tennant, in his TARDIS, yells "Allons-y," while Matt Smith, in his, yells "Geronimo!"

Rose pops up and warns that "the moment is coming." And John Hurt's non-Doctor says that he is ready for what's going to happen.

And then: the Tenth and Eleventh Doctors comparing their sonic screwdrivers, as Tennant looks possibly a bit jealous of Smith's screwdriver. And then a shot of both of them wearing clever glasses, while Smith wears his fez and they look delighted with their cool gear. And then a glimpse of Rose, looking excited.

Oh, and the TARDIS being airlifted down to Trafalgar Square with the Doctor hanging down from it.

The Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Trailer is an Amazing Thrill RideSEXPAND
Image via SFX

Smith is in the TARDIS, when he says, "I remember this. I pretty much remember." And we see twinkly lights traveling across the Earth.

David Tennant and John Hurt are inside Matt Smith's TARDIS. "Oh, you've redecorated. I don't like it," Tennant says, channeling Patrick Troughton in "The Three Doctors."

A title appears: "This fall, the Doctor will face his darkest day: Himself."

And we see Zygons, plural. Busting out of a glass case. And then some more shots of Daleks blowing up and being torn apart and generally being Da-wrecked.

Inside the TARDIS, Tennant tells Smith, "For once, I would like to know where I'm going." Smith responds: "No, you really wouldn't."

And then, someone says, "I'm looking for the Doctor." And the camera pans around to show Hurt, Tennant and Smith, with the two Doctors trying not to look at their unacknowledged predecessor. Tennant shrugs and says, "Well, you've certainly come to the right place."

This sounds...

Incredible. It'll be even better when we can actually see it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pic from 50th:

p01d2st3.jpg

They're back, baby.

EDIT: They're back, in another picture!

wN4ExyQ.jpg

EDIT AGAIN: They're returning like crazy!

udl7eqI.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, so this may not be very good, but here's a cam of the An Adventure in Space and Time trailer from Comic Con, I'll still search for the 50th one, though!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-13_W0uhfw

Looks pretty decent from here, defiantly  watching this!

RE: 50th anniversary

I think it does, if you read the breakdown from the trailer, it says the trailer shows something that could very well be the Time War. And, in the second picture of the Daleks you can see Circular Gallifreyan in front of the fire, which indicates the Time Lords are there....

Doctor Who Comic Con 50th Anniversary Panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZohoUZKbirc

BBC on 50th Trailer: (Bad news)

They told the Radio Times:

“This was an exclusive Comic Con trailer made especially for the Doctor Who 50th panel.”

However:

“UK fans can look forward to exclusive content over the next few months.”

Don't worry, non-UK residents, I'll see what I can do and post any UK exclusives here, too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I haven't seen Doctor Who for... a decade. Long time.

Is the latest series worth checking out?

I haven't seen Doctor Who for... a decade. Long time.

Is the latest series worth checking out?

Most certainly

I think, if you're going to try and get into the series, watch suggested episodes first, rather than a series. I'd suggest episodes such as:

Dalek

The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances

The Girl in the Fireplace

Blink (Doctor/companion light, but a really good episode in my opinion)

The Eleventh Hour

I don't think the latest series is the greatest place to start, but I think the episodes I listed or whenever there's a new Companion or Doctor is pretty decent to start with.

Edit: 1,000th comment, hooray

• Thumbs Up 2