Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

So he really did sing up for Series 8 after all. He never did say he was there for all of it.

Besides, we've got him on here, we can just ignore that episode and always remember... he's on here.

So, it's not been 24 hours and we've already got The Times claiming the next Doctor could be female according to their "informed BBC sources."

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Tech/article1268215.ece

"THE Time Lord may be about to become a Time Lady. Matt Smith, the 11th actor to play Doctor Who, is to leave the series at the end of the year and could be replaced by a female Doctor for the first time.

Smith will depart after a 50th anniversary episode in November and then a Christmas special. Informed sources at the BBC suggest that his successor might be a woman.

Having a female Doctor could go some way to answering recent criticism that the plots have taken on too dark an edge but would upset some of the series’ purist fans.

The series, which ended initially in 1989 before being revived in 2005, has also faced criticism for its convoluted plots and suggestions of racism in not casting a black or Asian Doctor."

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor

So, it's not been 24 hours and we've already got The Times claiming the next Doctor could be female according to their "informed BBC sources."

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Tech/article1268215.ece

"THE Time Lord may be about to become a Time Lady. Matt Smith, the 11th actor to play Doctor Who, is to leave the series at the end of the year and could be replaced by a female Doctor for the first time.

Smith will depart after a 50th anniversary episode in November and then a Christmas special. Informed sources at the BBC suggest that his successor might be a woman.

Having a female Doctor could go some way to answering recent criticism that the plots have taken on too dark an edge but would upset some of the series’ purist fans.

The series, which ended initially in 1989 before being revived in 2005, has also faced criticism for its convoluted plots and suggestions of racism in not casting a black or Asian Doctor."

The Doctor should not be a women, he has kissed far too many women, plus, Clara is still going to be there, which would make some of the gender swap need even more explaining. For 50 years, he has been a white male, why should that be changed?

I honestly wouldn't mind if the Doctor wasn't white, or even, now don't call me crazy here, ginger.

Reaction: The next Doctor is Chris Evans.

evans_1635806c.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdIpoE2LEps

Next World Domination.

• Thumbs Up 1

Reaction: The next Doctor is Chris Evans.

evans_1635806c.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdIpoE2LEps

Next World Domination.

If he was, I wouldn't give two shits about Matt being gone.

They're probably all out in force but nevertheless... inb4 all of the crying fangirls squealing "bring David Tennant back permanently he's back for the 50th so he can come back forever!"

I must admit I wasn't expecting Matt to leave so soon. I know he's been around for 3 series now and he'll be here for the 50th, but somehow it doesn't seem enough... and to bow out at Christmas, it's either going to be a really big built up finale following on from the anniversary or it's going to be a small, standalone little regeneration like Tennant was originally going to have. Oh well, hopefully it'll be a worthy send off either way, he's been a great Doctor despite some horrible dips in writing quality every now and again. Best of luck to him in the future.

Oh, and I bet the Christmas Special will be called "The Fall of The Eleventh", calling it now :P

• Thumbs Up 2

I think that he will begin to regenerate at the end of the 50th and it'll end in the Christmas Special. That way, they can introduce the new Doctor quicker.

I want the Doctor to be female, non-caucasian or old. EIther one would make the insane Tennant fangirls angry and bitter and maybe ween them out of the fandom which would really be best for everyone involved.

Even if I'd like this to be true the bold bit confuses me.
What about a female role would make the series inherently lighter? That would only serve to prove the series' sexism. Let's make the Doctor female and all her adventures can be about sniffing flowers and courting males! That's what females do after all, right Moffat?!??

To be honest I think in this case it's no more than a rumour. Since Matt's departure has only just been announced, him and the new Doctor will be on the brain and people will be looking up info on it. It's the optimal time to conjure up some stuff to capitalise on hits.

• Thumbs Up 2

The only acceptable female Doctor is Joanna Lumley from The Curse of Fatal Death.

I'd be perfectly happy for The Doctor to be non-Caucasian and a bit older, I remember when all the rumours were circulating about The Eleventh Doctor and one of the frontrunners for the role was Paterson Joseph:

PATERSON-JOSEPH_51790t.jpg

I know his chances are probably slim this time around and he's already been in the first series of NuWho so that might cause confusion with continuity and such, but he's a great actor and certainly someone like him would be more than welcome on board the TARDIS in my eyes. As long as the character is still inherently The Doctor, I don't care what they look like.

While I doubt it'll be anything other than incredibly dramatic--most of his regenerations are, really--a more "quiet" regeneration story could be really interesting and heartfelt, I think. I do wonder how it will happen, though. He's been in this body for a few hundred years at least, so maybe "old age"? Similar to why and how his first regeneration happened (or so wikis tell me)?

No matter what, I expect they'll go into nostalgia mode for it, perhaps for the entire series rather than just Eleven's run since. It's the 50th, after all!

While I doubt it'll be anything other than incredibly dramatic--most of his regenerations are, really--a more "quiet" regeneration story could be really interesting and heartfelt, I think. I do wonder how it will happen, though. He's been in this body for a few hundred years at least, so maybe "old age"? Similar to why and how his first regeneration happened (or so wikis tell me)?

No matter what, I expect they'll go into nostalgia mode for it, perhaps for the entire series rather than just Eleven's run since. It's the 50th, after all!

It'd be really nice to see a more toned down regeneration story, especially as it'll come straight after the huge and bombastic 50th anniversary and in the wake of David Tennant's highly drawn out send-off. The original finale for The Tenth Doctor was going to come about in a single episode where he saved a family of aliens from a leaky engine on their ship, but as it was the end of an era for the show with Tennant and Davies both leaving, Russell was persuaded into turning it into a two-part story with The Master and the Time Lords (and even the Daleks initially, but they got cut out at the request of Moffat due to their Series 5 appearance). But that same concept remained true - after a load of fuss, the regeneration was caused by something small and subtle, it just ended up being Wilf in a radiation booth as opposed to an engine leaking out the dangerous substance. If it is standalone, I hope Moffat goes with that approach, as trying to cram another massive story into 60 minutes just won't do it justice, judging by the episodes we've seen in Series 7.

Also, this news kinda makes a mockery of the BBC's new Regeneration box set they're bringing out soon featuring all of the current regeneration episodes... it'll be out of date within a few months! :P

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd be really nice to see a more toned down regeneration story, especially as it'll come straight after the huge and bombastic 50th anniversary and in the wake of David Tennant's highly drawn out send-off. The original finale for The Tenth Doctor was going to come about in a single episode where he saved a family of aliens from a leaky engine on their ship, but as it was the end of an era for the show with Tennant and Davies both leaving, Russell was persuaded into turning it into a two-part story with The Master and the Time Lords (and even the Daleks initially, but they got cut out at the request of Moffat due to their Series 5 appearance). But that same concept remained true - after a load of fuss, the regeneration was caused by something small and subtle, it just ended up being Wilf in a radiation booth as opposed to an engine leaking out the dangerous substance. If it is standalone, I hope Moffat goes with that approach, as trying to cram another massive story into 60 minutes just won't do it justice, judging by the episodes we've seen in Series 7.

Also, this news kinda makes a mockery of the BBC's new Regeneration box set they're bringing out soon featuring all of the current regeneration episodes... it'll be out of date within a few months! tongue.png

Wow, it really has just ripped off the fans who ordered it.

The original way of sending Tennant off sounds better. I doubt we would have had all that fuss about 'living too long'.

The original way of sending Tennant off sounds better. I doubt we would have had all that fuss about 'living too long'.

Yeah, I like what they did with The End of Time considering practically everyone was leaving, but it would have been nice to have seen a quieter send-off as well. Here's the exact details of the alternate finale:

"Davies considered other options for David Tennant’s final story, too. It could have been a one-parter, which saw the Doctor dying saving a family of four aliens stranded in a small spaceship with a leaky engine. Fixing the engine would have irradiated the Doctor."

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2010/01/10/20_things_we_learnt_from_the_writer_s_tale_the_final_chapter/

• Thumbs Up 1

Interesting facts there. Seeing where the characters ended up in The End Of Time wasn't needed, that alien saving thing would have been better. The only 'needed' one was Martha and Mickey, even then, it wasn't required to finish off Tennant's run.

Oh, the even greater irony I just realised about the Regeneration box set - it's got a picture of Matt Smith regenerating on the cover :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually a question about the Regeneration boxset, aren't some of the stories involving the Doctor's regenerations missing? How do they plan on showing those? With stills and stuff or?

How about Boris Johnson as the next Doctor he is already not from this planet?

Boris's reaction:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mPtKgX370k

Edited by BW199148
  • Thumbs Up 1

Actually a question about the Regeneration boxset, aren't some of the stories involving the Doctor's regenerations missing? How do they plan on showing those? With stills and stuff or?

The missing episodes of The Tenth Planet are being animated to fill in the gaps. Not sure about any others.

EDIT: Jenna-Louise Coleman pretty much confirms herself for Series 8

Jenna Coleman, adds: "I could not have imagined coming into the show without Matt as my Doctor, holding my hand, really, quite literally. I totally lucked-out in having a creative, generous, clever, and lovely fella to work alongside day after day.

I feel so privileged to have been part of Matt's reign, to have to been companion to what is and what I think always will be one of our greatest Doctors.

He is so in love with the show, he works tirelessly hard, surprises me every day, always creating and discovering something new about the Doctor. A true gent, a leading man and a very special friend.

I know it will be a very difficult goodbye for me, but I for one can't wait to see where his career takes him next.  And of course with the same welcome I was brought in with, I look forward to welcoming the next Doctor. BUT it's not over till its over. See ya at the big 5-0!"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-leave-Doctor-Who

In particular, "I look forward to welcoming the next Doctor". Definitely sounds like Clara's staying on even though Eleven is going.

• Thumbs Up 3

tumblr_ml83stdMQT1qba6lmo2_r1_250.gif

Thought this might help lighten the mood a bit, but god damn, I'll be sad to see Matt go. "The Eleventh must fall" now...

• Thumbs Up 1

Jenna seems like a great actor, I'm just waiting for Moffat to develop her character a bit more, and now Matt's leaving, I doubt it'll go very far anytime soon.

I'm hearing people suggest Benedict Cumberbatch, Richard Armitage and Simon Pegg for the role, but I think they're all way too recognizable to use. They need another unknown quantity.

Damien Molony, aka Hal from Being Human. He could be quite a good Doctor.

0B2Lamc.jpg?1

• Thumbs Up 1

My friend and I were talking about an older man playing the part, he suggested Bill Nighy:

tumblr_lmef2we6il1qbdq0l.jpg

He might work, but I think what Patticus said is right, we need another unknown talent, and I know Steven Moffat originally planned an older man to play the Eleventh Doctor and could want that again, but I've the feeling we'll be getting another young one for twelve.