Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Who would each of you class as your favourite Doctor? 

Mine would have to be the third due to his morality and how well he gets on with The Master (due to Jon Pertwee and Roger Delgado being friends.) Although I do also love Tom Baker and how his behaviour can change from being eccentric  to sombre in an instant. My least favourite would have to be Colin Baker (although I believe it wasn't his fault, it was more John Nathan Turner's)

Edited by Gazza3478

Favorite Doctor? Oh no. That's tough. I like all of them, but I like these ones in particular:

3rd Doctor

4th Doctor

8th Doctor

9th Doctor

11th Doctor

Those could be my top 5 in no particular order right now, it's always changing. I do have things I like about each one. (Yeah, there's some stuff that's good about the sixth Doctor, refer to some of his audio stories.) I couldn't name a favorite, I always change depending on which I'm watching, but they're all good in some way or another, some more than others. I would like to briefly shout out to 8 and 9 though, Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston, they're really under appreciated Doctors, McGann mostly because his movie wasn't too well received (I loved it, he's a great Doctor) and Eccleston because he also didn't have enough to work with, both are top notch Doctor's. It's just some fans were blinded by how little the two got to do with the character of the Doctor, I think they're brilliant.

Favorite Doctor? Oh no. That's tough. I like all of them, but I like these ones in particular:

3rd Doctor

4th Doctor

8th Doctor

9th Doctor

11th Doctor

Those could be my top 5 in no particular order right now, it's always changing. I do have things I like about each one. (Yeah, there's some stuff that's good about the sixth Doctor, refer to some of his audio stories.) I couldn't name a favorite, I always change depending on which I'm watching, but they're all good in some way or another, some more than others. I would like to briefly shout out to 8 and 9 though, Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston, they're really under appreciated Doctors, McGann mostly because his movie wasn't too well received (I loved it, he's a great Doctor) and Eccleston because he also didn't have enough to work with, both are top notch Doctor's. It's just some fans were blinded by how little the two got to do with the character of the Doctor, I think they're brilliant.

I've never really listened to any of the audio stories, I am thinking of getting the 50th anniversary one this year due to being a bit put off the TV special (due to it having no classic series Doctors.) And Christopher Eccleston was actually my first Doctor, I actually liked him and I wished he stuck around longer. 

Are there any audio stories that you'd recommend? They don't just have to be Colin Baker.

The Big Finish stories are mostly good, the 8th Doctor series is good, starting with The Blood of the Daleks, a two parter. I got into the Big Finish ones with 8.

Spare Parts and The Gathering are both fifth Doctor stories, and Cyberman stories. Sixth Doctor stories Davros and Jubilee Jubilee are the inspiration for the episode 'Dalek'. But I think, if you're looking to get into the audio stories, start with The Blood of the Daleks from the 8th Doctor, that's what got me into them.

Well as I just said, Pertwee is my current favorite. But if anyone can knock him down, it will be Tom Baker. I didn't RP as his Doctor in the statuses a few months ago for nothing tongue.png

And Matt Smith will always have a spot on my list due to him being my first Doctor (well, unless you count the four minutes of Tennant's 'Girl in the Fireplace' I saw back in like 2008. But I don't).

Edited by Speederino

Smith is my favourite Doctor because he actually feels like an alien. He does some very bizarre things that make you believe he's an alien, love it!

Matt Smith is regenerating this Christmas

I have to say, this news has made me really sad, like more than I thought, I'm kinda disappointed and I expected he would return to the role for Series 8.. so this is really sudden.

It's also sad that I feel like Matt never really got the chance to show how impressive an actor he is.. thanks to some awkward writing here and there.

In any case, I'm eager to welcome the next Doctor with an open mind. I personally hope they try something different, an older Doctor, a female Doctor, a non-caucasian Doctor, any would be very interesting to see in the show's current environment.

Wow, I know this would happen at some point but not so soon.... This is really depressing. While I am excited for Twelve, I can't just grasp that Eleven will be gone. He is my first Doctor. I've seen some stuff of the others and I love them too buy there's something about Eleven that's special. Maybe its the bowtie, the fez, how odd and yet human he is, how he could make laugh one second and cry tne next or maybe it's just because he is my first Doctor. Despite this, I know Twelve will be just as awesome as the andI look foreward to it.

I feel it would've been better if he had regenerated during the 50th instead of the Christmas special, it'd have been a way to go that's for sure.

Anyway I hope he does well after the show.

Told my wife, and now she's in tears.

I hope that the replacement Doctor is good, because it is not acceptable to make my wife cry.

• Thumbs Up 6

This is a shame, I'm not a massive fan of the show but I can tell the quality of writing has dipped recently, maybe that's part of the reason he's going. No matter how shitty the script though, Matt was always brilliant, I'll be sad to see him go.

I'm actually not that surprised, I remember hearing something about him considering leaving not that long ago. I will be sad to see him go though, he was my first Doctor after all.

Do you guys think Smith is leaving because he wants to, or because the series is getting worse-than-expected ratings and they want to shake it up to get more attention?

Well.... That Sucks.sleep.png

I don't think anyone will beat Tom Baker in being in the role longest. 

Do you guys think Smith is leaving because he wants to, or because the series is getting worse-than-expected ratings and they want to shake it up to get more attention?

I blame this series being split into two. To me they may as well have made the recent episodes Series 8.

Edited by BW199148

Well this obviously dissapoints me. Matt is a cracking Doctor, actor and person all togther. To see him go wil be very sad. Also, him leaving at Christmas is a bit weird to me. Every other Doctor (Bar seven, and obviously 8).as had a multiple episode story for their regeneration, (yeah, granted, that's how the classics were set out.) So Matt only having an hour or so seems a bit of a let down, assuming they're not linking the 50th to the Christmas Special. Well, I guess it was always coming, it always does. The timing does seem right, he hasn't really been type-cast, so that's good for him. Here's to the 50th, Christmas and the 12th Doctor. I wonder if he's going to wear bow ties, if not, I wonder what is opinion on them is...

Matt Smith managed to stun me completely with his interpretation of the character, bad writing be damned. But I would be lying if I said that I wasn't thrilled by this news. I hope the best for him, but I think having "played the role of the Doctor for four years" in your curriculum is a good proof as any of your professionality. Thank you, Mr. Smith. You aren't my favourite doctor, but you have a good place in my Top 11.

Edited by Nald From Never Lake

Don't make jokes at a time like this! This is the time for holding each other and crying! *Hugs everyone while crying*

• Thumbs Up 5

Well I will say at least he had a good run at it, maybe that's why he decided to leave now. I don't think the show is as bad as it was in the mid 1980's in terms of publicity and ratings.

I am surprised the BBC hasn't learned from past mistakes, keep it consistent. Stop sodding around the timeslot and splitting the series up or giving it long gaps between series.sleep.png

Edited by BW199148

How can you have a Top 11 when... oh wait, is that the joke?

He could count Peter Cushing, John Hurt (all 20 seconds or so we've seen) or Richard E. Grant. I know two of those aren't canon but still.

Matt Smith is regenerating this Christmas

I have to say, this news has made me really sad, like more than I thought, I'm kinda disappointed and I expected he would return to the role for Series 8.. so this is really sudden.

It's also sad that I feel like Matt never really got the chance to show how impressive an actor he is.. thanks to some awkward writing here and there.

In any case, I'm eager to welcome the next Doctor with an open mind. I personally hope they try something different, an older Doctor, a female Doctor, a non-caucasian Doctor, any would be very interesting to see in the show's current environment.

This is a downer. Well, I guess I shouldn't be so surprised though, I had a feeling we'd be seeing the 12th doctor, on the 12th month of the year... Though maybe I've been watching too much of those Doctor Retrospectives every month. Still, I loved Matt's Performance, and it'll be sad too see him go.. .Though I hope he gets a better, less depressing and pandering sendoff than Tennant did.

My mom is really going to be sad though. Matt was her first doctor, and she really got sad when she heard about the rumors.

Though I am interested in who they'll get next and who will play the next doctor. 

A BBC news report on the departure of Matt Smith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VppzheDnEj4

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor

This is the news I come back to after leaving to have a nap?!

I'm always sad to see a Doctor go, but as always I'm also interested in seeing what comes next. Although, Christmas ... does that mean it's going to be in middle of Series 8? That's unusual, but I guess it's at the end of the 50th anniversary year, so it kinda makes sense from a "okay we have to do something here that'll--" "REGENERATION EPISODE" "oh ok" standpoint.

This is the news I come back to after leaving to have a nap?!

I'm always sad to see a Doctor go, but as always I'm also interested in seeing what comes next. Although, Christmas ... does that mean it's going to be in middle of Series 8? That's unusual, but I guess it's at the end of the 50th anniversary year, so it kinda makes sense from a "okay we have to do something here that'll--" "REGENERATION EPISODE" "oh ok" standpoint.

We've got the 50th, then the Christmas special. Season starts 2014 I believe. Moffat said he's still in the planning stage. That, plus they haven't even began shooting the Christmas special. I think that starts August or September.