Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

That said, having a female Doctor is not necessarily growing up. Heavens knows it'd be a right disaster even, if Moff wrote it.

Edited by Captain Harlock

That said, having a female Doctor is not necessarily growing up. Heavens knows it'd be a right disaster even, if Moff wrote it.

I didn't expect one and it's kind of relieving that Moffat isn't trying to write one (yet) since I can't imagine he'd do a good job given how he usually writes women. I just wanted to point out that his writing in general needs to grow up.

He's not a terrible writer by any means, but his writing is problematic and I worry that the series won't be able to grow up until either Moffat grows up, or leaves as head writer.

The series doesn't need to grow up, it just needs to grow out of certain things. The difference may sound subtle but in practice it's very different. The tone isn't the problem so much as some of the contents, in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

As long as he does a good performance I think I'll like him. I stopped watching Doctor Who after the Ponds left, so Ill have to do some catching up.

Edited by Wil348

As long as he does a good performance I think I'll like him. I stopped watching Doctor Who after the Ponds left, so Ill have to do some catching up.

You've only got 8 episodes to catch so far, so not too many. And Clara is better than the Ponds in my opinion, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

You've only got 8 episodes to catch so far, so not too many. And Clara is better than the Ponds in my opinion, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Agreed.

All this talk of Steven Moffat reminded me of a Doctor Who parody that he wrote years before New Who began. All I can say it has timey wimey nonsense, the doctor constantly getting killed off and regenerating in the same scene, and the Doctor regenerating into a woman near the end, boob and vibrator jokes are made and the female!doctor and the Master fall in love. It's actually supposed to be a parody of the classic series, but at times, it feel like a parody of Steven Moffat's writing to me.

Oh and also it has Mr.Bean/Blackadder as the Doctor throughout most of the video, so that's another plus.

Here's the vid in question.

http://youtu.be/Do-wDPoC6GM

Edited by Mr. Mayhem!

For those curious, he was also in 10th Doctor story The Fires of Pompeii. He's going to very well, he's a good actor. I can't wait to see the first episode!

Wasn't Karen Gillan also in The Fires of Pompeii? That episode seems to have been prophetic.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wasn't Karen Gillan also in The Fires of Pompeii? That episode seems to have been prophetic.

Yes, she was a soothsayer. So, if we want to know anyone else getting a big role later, watch The Fires of Pompeii.

• Thumbs Up 4

So a while ago I asked who's everyone favourite Doctor was. Now I'm going to ask who you think the most overrated is.

Mine has to be David Tennant, I simply did not enjoy him. I felt he was overly emotional, had too many crying scenes and his Doctor is when the show started romanticizing him.

• Thumbs Up 3

David Tennant for sure. I don't even dislike him and I really enjoyed his tenure, but jesus people act like he's the only Doctor that matters. He spearheaded all the dumb romance sub-plots too.

So a while ago I asked who's everyone favourite Doctor was. Now I'm going to ask who you think the most overrated is.

Mine has to be David Tennant, I simply did not enjoy him. I felt he was overly emotional, had too many crying scenes and his Doctor is when the show started romanticizing him.

Yeaaahhh, pretty much this. Don't get me wrong, David Tennant was a great actor, and 10 had his moments... However, the reason why I didn't like him as much as the other is the same reason why everyone else seems to like him: He felt too human. I honestly prefer it when the Doctor acts alien with human like traits, it just makes him more endearing to me. Not to mention, I really didn't like how every companion of his became a love interest of some kind.

Not to mention his speech about how Regeneration might as well be death was just unnecessary. Yeah, regeneration is a sad thing, but the way it was described in the show, it really brought down any desire to move on to the next doctor.

• Thumbs Up 2

I love Tennant but it's difficult to deny he's extremely over praised and constantly hailed as "the best Doctor ever". He was brilliant but the show is about change and bringing a unique take to each version of The Doctor. I don't think I'd be able to choose a favourite because of that really.

Moffat is sexist, whether intentionally or unintentionally he doubtlessly is, and it unfortunately "shines" through in his plots where every major female in the series cannot have a happy ending until they are either married or have a child, before which point their life revolves around the strongest male around (the Doctor, I have a right mind to call the series bordering on "harem" genre at times).

And, like I said, at one point Moffat actually said something like "women crave marriage". He actually said this. He's sexist.

He's not a terrible writer by any means, but his writing is problematic and I worry that the series won't be able to grow up until either Moffat grows up, or leaves as head writer.

Bollocks. Doctor Who to me is not sexiest at all at least as far current running of the show. I don't think the original running was either and even then the issues were probably outdated ones that have been resolved.

If Moffet was that bad Women wouldn't work on the show.

He's not perfect but neither was Russell T. Davis. As for the "women crave marriage" I would like to see a source because yes I agree that is a bit stupid, then again it also depends in the context he says it.

But I don't think he is a "Winch bring me my ale and meat" kinda of guy.

Also Doctor Who is far from being a sexiest show. Then again I not a female but then again neither are you if your profile is right.

I try not to speak for women, unless they raise the issue themselves first and even then I don't always agree because I don't think its that big of a issue unless there is mass outcry.

Also adding a Female Doctor wouldn't make more the Show More Grown Up (It is primarily aimed at Children and Families, mainly young males but yes its popular with females especially the current running) just more Politically Correct to appease a small minority of fans.

I actually find Moffet more maturer than Russel T. Davis was with the Show (Torchwood doesn't count).

Edited by BW199148

It's odd when you read about who people consider the best Doctor as Tom Baker and David Tennant seem to be the most common. Now it's strange how the former was the most alien of them all (with his bohemian eccentricity) and David Tennant is the most human. 

Edited by The Third Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 2

David Tennant. I mean, this is coming from a guy who likes his Doctor, and yet I feel people go overboard with how much they praise him. He had really good moments, but felt too human. Yes, too human as the guys an alien, not an emotional Romeo. Matt's felt really alien, and still relate-able, which is what I want, and most other Doctors did this too.

Patrick Troughton needs more appreciation, though. A man playing the Doctor who is not William Hartnell was unheard of, and it managed to stir things up quite a bit in the fanbase, and yet he managed to keep the show going. He played a brilliant Doctor at with a rough time. He needs more love!

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's odd when you read about who people consider the best Doctor as Tom Baker and David Tennant seem to be the most common. Now it's strange how the former was the most alien of them all (with his bohemian eccentricity) and David Tennant is the most human. 

I think that why I really like Matt's interpretation, it's a nice blend of both dumbfounded alien and human emotion. 

Also, I stand by the fact that even though Moffat isn't the best writer and even if he comes off as sexist, he's written and developed some of the strongest female characters on Doctor Who's new modern era imo. Though anything Moffat does causes controversy among the fanbase recently, it would seem...

Truth be told I actually haven't seen much of Matt Smith's tenure, I saw some of the latest series however that is about it. I tried at the beginning but I felt he had too many tennantisms to begin with, I've just never really gotten around to it. I probably should.

Also happy 100th page everyone smile.png

Truth be told I actually haven't seen much of Matt Smith's tenure, I saw some of the latest series however that is about it. I tried at the beginning but I felt he had too many tennantisms to begin with, I've just never really gotten around to it. I probably should.

Also happy 100th page everyone smile.png

Oh God you really should. The Eleventh Hour scene in Amelia's house is enough to tell you he's gonna be great. Series 5 and 7 are his strongest, but 6 isn't bad. Just watch them all now. Now. Right now.

David Tennant is the new Tom Baker. The Longer you do the show the more liked you usually are because audience gets attached to you.

I liked them both but the amount over-worship they get does bug me. Its actually one of the reasons why Tom Baker distances himself from the show because didn't feel comfortable with constant spotlight.

David Tennant is the new Tom Baker. The Longer you do the show the more liked you usually are because audience gets attached to you.

I liked them both but the amount over-worship they get does bug me. Its actually one of the reasons why Tom Baker distances himself from the show because didn't feel comfortable with constant spotlight.

He distanced himself to begin with due to fear of typecasting (this is why he wasn't in The Five Doctors, unless you count the bit from Shada.) However recently he has begun to really appreciate it, he's done some audiobooks for Big Finish, he's gone to three conventions alone this year and his letter/interview that you get with the time capsule are both really touching. 

If Moffet was that bad Women wouldn't work on the show.

Dude, the film and TV industry really does not work like that. BBC hire the women because they need women for roles, and the women work and get paid. Women who work in film and TV are constantly being abused and mistreated by not just the ignorant scripts but their coworkers but they can't do a thing because they're on contract and "they're getting paid for it". You don't get a say unless you're a ridiculously famous actor.

He's not perfect but neither was Russell T. Davis. As for the "women crave marriage" I would like to see a source because yes I agree that is a bit stupid, then again it also depends in the context he says it.

Davies wasn't perfect either, but he was less sexist than Moffat. http://www.scotsman.com/news/time-lad-scores-with-sex-and-daleks-1-1394833

"There’s this issue you’re not allowed to discuss: that women are needy. Men can go for longer, more happily, without women. That’s the truth. We don’t, as little boys, play at being married - we try to avoid it for as long as possible. Meanwhile women are out there hunting for husbands."

Also Doctor Who is far from being a sexiest show. Then again I not a female but then again neither are you if your profile is right.

I try not to speak for women, unless they raise the issue themselves first and even then I don't always agree because I don't think its that big of a issue unless there is mass outcry.

You don't need to be female to spot sexism when you see it 8l and you don't need to be female to be a feminist. Believe me this crisiticm of Moffat is far far from uncommon. A simple Google can find you a wealth of criticisms on his portrayals of women.

Also adding a Female Doctor wouldn't make more the Show More Grown Up (It is primarily aimed at Children and Families, mainly young males but yes its popular with females especially the current running) just more Politically Correct to appease a small minority of fans.

I never said the series needed a female Doctor to grow up, I said Moffat needed to grow up. And when I say "grow up" I don't mean be ~more machurr~ as in be for an older audience, I mean it needs to stop being so immature in some aspects, I think you misread me completely. Children do not benefit from ignorant misrepresentation, this has absolutely nothing to do with the age range of the show but Moffat's own closed-minded mentality.

Moffat needs to grow up himself and stop letting his personal views on women affect the writing and characters in the series, otherwise it'll be harder for a lot of people to like it until he quits.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 2

Most overrated Doctor? Well, that would have to be Tom Baker. I'll admit that haven't watched much of his stuff, but the stuff I have seen isn't very good. I just don't get why people like him so much.

My favorite Doctor though would definitely be David Tennant (shut up, he most certainly isn't overrated at all... well, maybe just a tad). The biggest reason? The ending to The End of Time. Oh my god, everytime I watch that I tear up. Seriously, that scene is godly. I can't get enough of it.

I have to admit, however, that Matt Smith is a very close second.

Most overrated Doctor? Well, that would have to be Tom Baker. I'll admit that haven't watched much of his stuff, but the stuff I have seen isn't very good. I just don't get why people like him so much.

The one Tom Baker story that you simply have to watch has to be Genesis of the Daleks, the "Do I have the right" bit sums up everything I love about the Doctor. I also recommend City of Death, Pyramids of Mars and Talons of Weng-Chiang.

• Thumbs Up 1