Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Most certainly

I think, if you're going to try and get into the series, watch suggested episodes first, rather than a series. I'd suggest episodes such as:

Dalek

The Empty Child/ The Doctor Dances

The Girl in the Fireplace

Blink (Doctor/companion light, but a really good episode in my opinion)

The Eleventh Hour

I don't think the latest series is the greatest place to start, but I think the episodes I listed or whenever there's a new Companion or Doctor is pretty decent to start with.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at them. Hopefully I enjoy the show as much as I did a decade ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

12th Doctor Audition scripts!

(Moffat made it clear these are purely for auditions and will not appear in the show, but I thought they might be nice to read. I got these from Doctorwhotv.com, who got it from the next issue of Doctor Who Magazine.)

Doctor and Clara in the TARDIS, The Doctor is checking out his new body:

THE DOCTOR: Right then, eyesight. Not bad, bit blue. Ears – not pointy, right way up, more or less level. Face – well I’ve got one. Oh, no -French!
CLARA: French.
THE DOCTOR: I’ve deleted French! Plus all cookery skills, and the breast stroke. And hopping. Never mind hopping, who needs to hop. Ohh, the kidneys are interesting. Never had that before – interesting kidneys. 
CLARA: Are you all right?
THE DOCTOR: I don’t know, do I look all right? 
CLARA: I don’t know. 
THE DOCTOR: How’s the face? Seems all right from the inside. Nice action, responsive. Bit less heft on the chin. How is it? 
CLARA: It’s… okay. 
THE DOCTOR: Okay? 
CLARA: It’s a bit… you know. 
THE DOCTOR: No I don’t, I haven’t seen it yet. 
CLARA: Maybe it’s just new. 
THE DOCTOR: Have you changed height? 
CLARA: No.

The Doctor facing the CyberLeader:

THE DOCTOR: Ah, Cyberleader, hello!
CYBERLEADER: Do you have a response, Doctor.
THE DOCTOR: Yes, I do. Definitely got a response. And here it is. Yes, your ears look big in that! Sorry, did I misunderstand the question?
CYBERLEADER: You will return the stolen cargo.
THE DOCTOR: Yeah, well, two points. One, I didn’t steal it. No, actually, I did steal it, I was just hoping if I said that I’d think of a really good excuse before the end of the sentence. Didn’t happen, never mind. Point two – well, point one, second attempt – that isn’t cargo. Those are human beings.
CYBERLEADER: They are primed for conversion.
THE DOCTOR: I’ve unprimed them.
CYBERLEADER: You will return the cargo.
THE DOCTOR: No, I won’t.
CYBERLEADER: Then the cargo will be taken.
THE DOCTOR: Not going to happen, and do you know what’s going to stop you?
CYBERLEADER: We will not be stopped. The Doctor raises a finger.
THE DOCTOR: Tell it to the finger. See this finger? See what I’m doing with this finger right now. The Doctor moves to the screen. Starts drawing a line across.
THE DOCTOR: I’m drawing a line between this ship and you. Between all these people and all your metal men. And this line, it’s a magic line
CYBERLEADER: Magic is not logical
THE DOCTOR: I know – isn’t it great? Because I’ll tell you what. All these people on this ship are now, officially, under the protection of the magic line. Now, I’ll be honest, these guys in here are a bit annoying. They keep having their own opinions, and sometimes they take turns talking instead of me, which is just boring for everyone. But facts are facts, they’re behind the magic line, and that’s the way it is now. And to be clear, so we all understand the deal here, if any of your handle-heads happens to cross the magic line, even by accident, do you know what will happen to you then?
CYBERLEADER: What will happen?
THE DOCTOR: Me

The Doctor and a little boy, in the little boy's room:

THE DOCTOR:
Does everyone tell you it’s going to be all right? 
LITTLE BOY: Yes. 
THE DOCTOR: Do you believe them? 
LITTLE BOY: No
THE DOCTOR: Good man. Tell me what happens when the lights go out. 
LITTLE BOY: No.
THE DOCTOR: Because you’re scared? (Silence) Because you think I won’t believe you. Because you think I’ll tell you everything’s fine, when you know it isn’t, and leave you alone like all the other grown-ups?
LITTLE BOY:… yes.
THE DOCTOR: Look at me. Am I grown up? 
THE DOCTOR: Good! You’re the very first person I’ve fooled. Look, what if I promise I won’t tell you it’s okay. What if I just listen, and then try my best to help, and never tell you that I know better. How about that?
LITTLE BOY: …okay.
THE DOCTOR: Okay. So. You turn the lights out -then what?
LITTLE BOY: The room… changes. In the dark. 
THE DOCTOR: You mean the room is different when you can’t see it. 
THE DOCTOR: Every time? 
THE DOCTOR: Different how? 
LITTLE BOY: It’s wet. When 1 touch the walls, they’re all wet.
THE DOCTOR: Like damp. Like water running
down them? 
LITTLE BOY: No. Wet like a mouth.

• Thumbs Up 3

50th Special to be Simulcast Worldwide:

BBC Worldwide has confirmed the special is being shown around the world at the same time.

In a statement they said: “It’s always been our ambition to work with our broadcast partners so that international Doctor Who fans can enjoy the 50th-anniversary special at the same time as the UK. We’ll have more details soon about our very exciting global plans for November.”

This came from an original report from The Sun (They got something right for once) They said:

The 3D episode goes out here on November 23 at 8pm on BBC1, so fans in LA will watch at noon while it airs in Sydney at 6am the next day.

It has been sold to 200 countries and is expected to reach more than 100 million viewers, making it the biggest-ever global drama simulcast.

An insider said: “The 50th anniversary special is a massive deal for fans around the world who were petrified the secrets would leak online the moment it aired in Britain.”

Of course... Not all of that is true, because There isn't 200 countries, and 100 million viewers is a bit of a stretch, right?

Jenna Coleman: 50th "Changes Everything":

Discussing with IGN, she said:

“Well I suppose it’s open. That’s what’s really interesting. Because like I say, we’ve done the 50th which is, though it does lead-off the end of last season, is kind of self-contained in a way. So it’s kind of a blank canvas in a way. But the 50th leaves the whole show going in a very different direction. It’s kind of a transformational episode for the show.”

Elaborating further: “It changes things. It changes everything. Really. So we’re kind of on this blank canvas. I don’t know where Steven [Moffat] is going to take it. I don’t know who the Doctor is going to be yet. I don’t know what our relationship is going to be. You know it’s completely open, but in theory it could be a new Clara for the new Doctor even. You know a Clara could pop-up at any time in theory. I don’t know if they will or not. It’s definitely something that’s been set-up, though.”

Asked if it’s possible Clara could go back and explore John Hurt’s story: “I mean, it is, but I feel like I’m totally steering you in the wrong direction because John Hurt’s in for the 50th and that’s all [Laughs]. But in theory it is. Because I think the theory is that Clara has been shattered into infinite pieces. She’s in every single timeline, kind of chasing these Doctors all around. She must be exhausted the poor girl, she must be running all of the time.”

Responding to how she thinks fans are going to react to a big change in the mythology: “Good. Because I think what’s incredible about it is that after 50 years you can do that with a show like this. And I think that’s why it’s gone for 50 years. You can change the Doctor, and you can change the companions. One thing that Matt said is that you’re not bound by logic in the show, so you can change something. You can change something dramatically and it keeps the show kind of barreling forward. You know because if it was just the same thing over and over again…But it’s not, and that’s what keeps it going, I think."

The Complete Seventh Series Details:

doctor-who-complete-series-7-dvd-uk-us.j

(UK left, US right)

BBC Worldwide releases all thirteen blockbuster episodes from the seventh series of the iconic sci-fi series Doctor Who on Blu-ray and DVD on October 28, 2013. In addition, the set includes the 2012 Christmas Special, and exciting bonus features including behind-the-scenes featurettes, “Doctor Who at Comic Con”, specials “The Companions” and “Doctor Who in the US,” and more. These latest adventures test the Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith) and prove that even a madman with a box needs help sometimes.

Say farewell to the Ponds all over again. Meet the enigmatic Clara for the first time – and the second, and the third. Face enemies new and old, follow the Doctor to the one place he should never go, and learn the secret to a really great soufflé. With a cliffhanger ending that will leave fans breathless, this set arrives just in time to catch up before the Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Special on November 23, and the Doctor’s regeneration in this year’s Christmas Special.

In the first part of series seven, the Ponds (Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill) make their final voyages with the Doctor. They save a spaceship full of dinosaurs, don Stetsons in the Wild West and are even kidnapped by the Doctor’s oldest foe. But when they arrive in Manhattan the Weeping Angels are waiting for them – and the Doctor has to say goodbye to his companions forever.

The 2012 Christmas special, The Snowmen, brings the Doctor a new friend (Jenna Coleman) in Victorian London – but has he already met her before? And will she be able to pull him from his mourning in time to save London from the chilling menace that threatens it? The final eight episodes of series seven see the Doctor and his new companion battle monsters on distant alien planets, become trapped in a Russian submarine with a deadly passenger, chase terrifying ghosts, and come face-to-face with an army of upgraded Cybermen. When his friends are kidnapped, the Doctor and Clara are forced to visit the fields of Trenzalore, where the question that must never be answered is finally asked… and the Doctor uncovers the secret of the Impossible Girl.

The incredible list of guest stars includes John Hurt (Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy), Warwick Davis (Willow, the Harry Potter films) Liam Cunningham (Game of Thrones), David Warner (Titanic, TRON), Dougray Scott (Hemlock Grove, Ever After: A Cinderella Story), Ben Browder (Farscape), David Bradley (Game of Thrones) Jessica Raine (Call The Midwife, The Woman in Black), the mother-daughter duo of Dame Diana Rigg (Game of Thrones) and Rachael Stirling (Women in Love, Snow White and the Huntsman), and the voice of Sir Ian McKellan (The Lord of The Rings films). The episodes are written by lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat, as well as Neil Gaiman, Mark Gatiss, Neil Cross, Chris Chibnall, Toby Whithouse and Stephen Thompson.

Extras include:

• Prequels to: The Doctor, The Widow and The Wardrobe, Asylum of the Daleks, The Snowmen (x3), The Bells of Saint John and The Name of the Doctor (x2)
  • Pond Life
  • The Making of the Gunslinger
  • Creating Clara
  • Behind the scenes featurettes for every episode
  • Featurettes: Doctor Who in the US
  • Last Days of the Ponds
  • The Science of Doctor Who
  • The Companions
  • Doctor Who at Comic Con
  • Audio commentaries for episodes: The Snowmen, Cold War, Hide, and The Crimson Horror

Releasing Septemnber 24 in US, and 28th of October in UK

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 2

Well my parents let me open my Fourth Doctor Time Capsule early (I got #1708 out of 5000) and it is simply amazing! The interview with Tom Baker actually teared me up at a few moments that I won't spoil. I heartily recommend it.

Well my parents let me open my Fourth Doctor Time Capsule early (I got #1708 out of 5000) and it is simply amazing! The interview with Tom Baker actually teared me up at a few moments that I won't spoil. I heartily recommend it.

I saw this while out with my friends yesterday. I was going to pick it up, but I was £20 short.

I do have a few questions about it, if you don't mind.

How are the art cards? How big are they ect

How's the figure?

How's the Screwdriver?

I'm saving up for it, unless I find it a little cheaper.

I saw this while out with my friends yesterday. I was going to pick it up, but I was £20 short.

I do have a few questions about it, if you don't mind.

How are the art cards? How big are they ect

How's the figure?

How's the Screwdriver?

I'm saving up for it, unless I find it a little cheaper.

The art cards are really nice quality. They're sturdy and they are about A6 in size.

The figure is great, they've captured his likeness well and it's just an amazing thing that they threw in. It's the same quality build as the ones in the 11 Doctor collection set that I also have.

The screwdriver is the same as the standalone one that you can buy however the batteries ARE included.

If you have any more questions then just feel free to ask.

• Thumbs Up 1

MEGATONS INCOMING!

The BBC are due to make a Doctor Who related announcement at midnight tonight, but rumours have already spread like wildfire across the net as to what it actually is... well, prepare to clear your schedule on Sunday night and get yourself sat down in front of a TV.

The Twelfth Doctor to be revealed on BBC One, Sunday 7pm in front of a live studio audience

It's still just rumours at the moment, but with the amount of people reporting on this and the detail that comes along with some of the articles (including quotes from Moffat and the BBC One controller)... well, it's looking very much certain.

Last chance for speculation, guys! Who's it gonna be?

• Thumbs Up 2

This could be anything!

The BBC said they had special news for UK fans, because the Comic con trailer and all. That would be something 50th related. But, 12 Doctor announcement is logical too, as they'd want to announce it prior to filming, because they wouldn't want a leak.

The Twelfth Doctor is Matt Berry though. So just forget this.

They are making quite a big deal about it this time, I wonder if it is going to be a ground breaking choice? huh.png

BBC America trailer for Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jpc9rNSfyuE

By the way, Americans, this is being Simulcast so I think it's 2PM ET, if that helps....

Only about nine hours left to go now.  This is quite exciting, isn't it?  Apparently the announcement show is going to have recorded messages from a bunch of former companions, Peter Davison and Bernard Cribbins will be in the studio, and... so will be a bunch of other random celebrities with nothing much to do with DW, which is kind of odd.  Some are taking this as suggesting that the program was cobbled together at the last minute from whoever was available in order to beat the leaks... which would suggest that the Twelfth Doctor is:

Peter Capaldi, on whom the bookies recently suspended betting due to an influx of wagers.

Another name that's being widely-rumoured is:

Daniel Rigby, who has supposedly pulled out of a theatrical appearance he was previously scheduled for tonight.  Coincidence?

Incidentally, another rumour states that:

Ben Daniels

was chosen but then dropped it at the last minute for personal reasons.  We will almost certainly never know for sure if this is true as it would fatally undermine the final candidate.

Personally, my sole criterion for "a good new Doctor" is somebody sufficiently different from Matt Smith (aside from, obviously, acting the role convincingly).  Regrettably, a lot of the rumoured names don't hit the mark for me, and frankly I don't believe it's really the person I name in the first spoiler tag.  But it's fantastic not knowing for sure.

Personally I'd really like the next Doctor to be a lot older or non-white. If he's still young and white I won't let it bug me, but it'd be really fresh to change that. Really looking forward to this evening, is it gonna be on BBC1?

BBC1, 7 o' clock sharp.  I've heard another rumour stating that the actor's reveal on the show will be prefaced by a special minisode revealing their identity, but I think that's wishful thinking - at best, I'd say we'll get a shot of them in costume, in the TARDIS, with the camera panning slowly around their clothing and taking as long as possible to actually get to their face.  I hope we get the costume, or I think that it'd lessen the impact.  Also because when Matt Smith was announced then there was a lot of contention over whether the clothes he was wearing would be his actual costume (they weren't).

It is...

Peter Capaldi!

Top of the bookies list. Hope he does good.

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor

For those curious, he was also in 10th Doctor story The Fires of Pompeii. He's going to very well, he's a good actor. I can't wait to see the first episode!

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like a good choice, only it's going to make me miss Matt even more seeing as he will be very different according to Moffat.

Holy wow, it really was Peter Capaldi?!  I didn't think they'd really do it!  Oh wow.  This is the difference I was looking for.  I can't wait to see how this works out.

"Oh fuck, it’s the fucking daleks!"

"Calm down, Doctor"

"I can’t fucking calm down with the fucking space alien robots coming for us! fuck!"

laugh.png

I'm gonna love this. I hear he's an amazing actor.

Edited by PSI Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 3