Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Nitin Ganatra is my choice for the next Doctor. Though I know it can't happen.

If there is to be an older Doctor, I'd like him to be played by John Noble. Anyone familiar with the TV show Fringe must agree that he would make a fantastic older Doctor!

Series 8 August 2014 and uninterrupted? Rumors say so:

The Sun claims:

"Beeb bosses had to admit Matt’s exit after a leaked email from its commercial arm, BBC Worldwide, to clients gave the game away.

The mail, sent [last] Friday, told of plans to air 12 new episodes from August 2014. Crucially, it said: “This will give the new Doctor a chance to develop with the audience (apologies for this spoiler if you didn’t know).”

Meanwhile the Radio Times reports the 12th Doctor could be announced as soon as July 2013:

"The new Doctor could be handed the keys to the TARDIS as early as next month, BBC sources have confirmed – with insiders suggesting Matt Smith’s replacement needs to be announced before the Doctor Who Christmas special begins filming next month.

It would be virtually impossible to keep the identity of the new doctor a secret even if the entire set went into lockdown during filming of the Christmas special, a BBC source told RadioTimes.com."

“The search has begun in earnest and is active now,” the source said, adding that the BBC has not ruled out hiring a woman to replace Matt Smith."

Which seems a plausible rumor.

The Radio Times also says Series 8 is 12 episodes long:

"The new series, expected to be 12 episodes long, begins filming in the autumn.

A BBC source also moved to squash speculation that showrunner Steven Moffat could also be calling it a day, insisting that he has signed up for at least another year."

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor

I'm going to miss Matt Smith and his quirky Doctor. He really grew on me... =[

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing Benedict Cumberbatch as the Doctor, but I think he would be even more fitting as the Master. For the Doctor, I'm sure they'll get some new talent instead like they did with the Eleventh. And thank GOD there's a proper Series this time! Unless they still mean to air it in parts like before...I hate waiting months for new eps. -__-

• Thumbs Up 1

Benedict Cumberbatch would make an outstanding Master. I'd love to see him pitted against Smith, but I doubt that the Master will be returning any time soon.

Incidentally, I know some here didn't like the episode, but I loved this song/speech:

Anyway, I understand that John Noble's health is rather precarious these days ( sad.png ), but I'd love to see him take up some sort of role in the show, even if it's just for a two-parter. He could play the Master really well, he does evil so deliciously, and they could stretch his plot out over a handful over episodes over a series or two, after which time he turns up as Benedict Cumberbatch for a bit. I'd love that. Some really top drawer dialogue potential, especially if they bring Damien Molony in to play the Doctor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Series 8 August 2014 and uninterrupted? Rumors say so:

The Sun claims:

"Beeb bosses had to admit Matt’s exit after a leaked email from its commercial arm, BBC Worldwide, to clients gave the game away.

The mail, sent [last] Friday, told of plans to air 12 new episodes from August 2014. Crucially, it said: “This will give the new Doctor a chance to develop with the audience (apologies for this spoiler if you didn’t know).”

Meanwhile the Radio Times reports the 12th Doctor could be announced as soon as July 2013:

"The new Doctor could be handed the keys to the TARDIS as early as next month, BBC sources have confirmed – with insiders suggesting Matt Smith’s replacement needs to be announced before the Doctor Who Christmas special begins filming next month.

It would be virtually impossible to keep the identity of the new doctor a secret even if the entire set went into lockdown during filming of the Christmas special, a BBC source told RadioTimes.com."

“The search has begun in earnest and is active now,” the source said, adding that the BBC has not ruled out hiring a woman to replace Matt Smith."

Which seems a plausible rumor.

The Radio Times also says Series 8 is 12 episodes long:

"The new series, expected to be 12 episodes long, begins filming in the autumn.

A BBC source also moved to squash speculation that showrunner Steven Moffat could also be calling it a day, insisting that he has signed up for at least another year."

I really hope the rumor of the next series being uninterrupted is true. I hated having to wait forever for a new episode to air.

It's a shame that Matt Smith is leaving though. He did a great job of playing the Doctor and will be missed. I hope whoever succeeds him will do just as a good of job. It's a relief that Moffat isn't leaving though. It would not be the same without him.

Edited by Kevin

I like that the regeneration is going to happen in a Christmas special.  It feels like a good time to close an era.  It's also different to the previous two regeneration timings - a season finale and a specials finale.  I would imagine the 50th is the Eleventh's final hurrah, with Christmas being his twilight, the fall of night after the blaze of glory.  I imagine the way it's presented will differ from Nine and Ten's, too - Nine regenerated almost casually, but Ten's regeneration was enormously drawn-out.

Cutting the number of episodes to twelve a year might well be a good idea.  Everything you ever hear from the showrunners indicates that doing thirteen episodes a year (fourteen - I forgot the Christmas special) is a nightmare, and it's the very reason we started having Doctor-lite and companion-lite episodes, because it physically wasn't possible for them to each film thirteen full episodes.  Losing one would be a shame, but if it allows everyone involved some more breathing room and means we don't have to deal with any more of this silly season-splitting business, that would be a good thing.

As for the Twelfth Doctor, my dream is that they put in an appearance in the 50th Anniversary Special before Eleven's regeneration as both a big shocker and part of the multi-Doctor crossover of the story, but it could be a real struggle to keep that secret.  I think they could probably put in a cameo of some kind...  But as to the Twelfth Doctor's actor, I don't really care who it is.  I don't really follow actors that closely, and the role of the Doctor is a very different one, anyway.  I'm just looking forward to being surprised and enjoying the change.

I want....

MV5BMTg3NDUzOTc3MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjcx

Rowan Atkinson.

However, I know he'll never get the part because he is too well known and has way too much 'baggage' as Mr Bean and Johnny English.

Yet he has the greatest audition tape ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do-wDPoC6GM

Yes that really is Rowan Atkinson as Doctor Who.

• Thumbs Up 4

It's going to be nice to see a companion stay through a regeneration again. The last time that happened was with Rose. It was a little alienating how EVERY familiar character just up and left at the same time when Davies left.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's going to be nice to see a companion stay through a regeneration again. The last time that happened was with Rose. It was a little alienating how EVERY familiar character just up and left at the same time when Davies left.

I was looking forward to seeing the companion react too. The only thing that's kinda knocked me with looking forward to the reaction is, Clara already knows about it, as she's met them all, so she's going to be kinda prepared for the event. The only thing she doesn't know is, the cycle itself (With the yellow "bvrooosh" effect, if its still that effect.) and the effects it has on the Doctor when it's done, like when 10 had to rest, or 11 having little fits and his 'Steering being off.'

• Thumbs Up 4

I was looking forward to seeing the companion react too. The only thing that's kinda knocked me with looking forward to the reaction is, Clara already knows about it, as she's met them all, so she's going to be kinda prepared for the event. The only thing she doesn't know is, the cycle itself (With the yellow "bvrooosh" effect, if its still that effect.) and the effects it has on the Doctor when it's done, like when 10 had to rest, or 11 having little fits and his 'Steering being off.'

I'm sure she'll still be surprised, as she might not have seen a regeneration actually happen while she was all up in the Doctor's time stream. And plus, she's at least a little attached to Eleven, so she'll probably be heartbroken, or at least a little uncomfortable about it. Maybe she'll leave because it weirds her out too much after a while, or maybe it'll be a repeat of Rose again, or maybe the regeneration will affect Clara somehow (like Ten's regeneration ended up affecting Donna due to the Meta-Crisis). I'm excited to see how it plays out.

EDIT: Also, I wish they would at least comment on why the Doctor is always a fully-formed white male. I mean he said he could regenerate with three heads or no head, or he could be a female, or he could be not-human-looking, etc...

Edited by River Song
  • Thumbs Up 2

Also, I wish they would at least comment on why the Doctor is always a fully-formed white male. I mean he said he could regenerate with three heads or no head, or he could be a female, or he could be not-human-looking, etc...

They won't bother with that because it will make the 'racism problem' worse.

I want Ben Whinsaw, you know, the guy who played Q in Skyfall?

Oh god, yes! He was wonderful in Skyfall and he'd fit the series like a glove!

• Thumbs Up 1

He looks reasonably cute, so I have no complaints there. As long as he can act and bring something fresh to the role, I don't mind.

Surely they should go with Benedict Cumberbatch.

cumberbatch-benedict.jpg?itok=uW-xqmeF

He was previously considered for Doctor Who. He was good in Sherlock Holmes and a very entertaining bad guy in Star Trek: Into Darkness. 

Edited by -Clara Oswald-

I'm sure she'll still be surprised, as she might not have seen a regeneration actually happen while she was all up in the Doctor's time stream. And plus, she's at least a little attached to Eleven, so she'll probably be heartbroken, or at least a little uncomfortable about it. Maybe she'll leave because it weirds her out too much after a while, or maybe it'll be a repeat of Rose again, or maybe the regeneration will affect Clara somehow (like Ten's regeneration ended up affecting Donna due to the Meta-Crisis). I'm excited to see how it plays out.

EDIT: Also, I wish they would at least comment on why the Doctor is always a fully-formed white male. I mean he said he could regenerate with three heads or no head, or he could be a female, or he could be not-human-looking, etc...

If The Beast Below is anything to go by, when Amy said something like "But you look human." The Doctor said "No, you look Time Lord, we came first." So that might be why he's always fully human looking (All though the 9th Doctor said he could regenerate with multiple heads, or no head.), as for the other stuff, I'm unsure.

Surely they should go with Benedict Cumberbatch.

cumberbatch-benedict.jpg?itok=uW-xqmeF

He was previously considered for Doctor Who. He was good in Sherlock Holmes and a very entertaining bad guy in Star Trek: Into Darkness. 

Oh how I've longed for this. Although, seeing as Sherlock is still going, I think he's irreplaceable there, he is perfect in that role, but my GOD I'd love him to be The Doctor.

But guys, there is only one guy for the job...

atw9p6z.gif

Richard Ayoade!

I'm kidding of course. But I can just sort of picture it...

I think Cumberbatch has implied in the past that he doesn't want the Doctor role, so I'd be surprised if he was on the cards.

What's interesting is how much the "female Doctor" speculation has taken off in the national press, though.  Although I suspect the show can do better than Paris Jackson.

The main problem I see with Cumberbatch is, he wouldn't have much non-Who filming time for other stuff. His growing Hollywood admiration would be pretty much shot down, and Sherlock is pretty time consuming, assuming there's a series 4 of that. But I do remember him expressing interest in a long-term role in Doctor Who. I don't remember where I saw it, though. I'll try and find it.

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 1

He said in a video interview that he has no interest in the role. Also, he truly is irreplaceable on Sherlock.

Okay, so who's Paris Jackson and how much should we cry if she becomes the Doctor?

Edited by The Fourth Doctor

He said in a video interview that he has no interest in the role. Also, he truly.is irreplaceable on Sherlock. Okay, so who's Paris

Micheal Jackson's Daughter... The Daily Star said she's in line... Check the last post on the previous page.