Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Aha, brings me memories of sitting down and watching Doctor Who for the first time. Did it completely on the off chance and I ended up completely falling in love with the show. Hopefully we'll be able to fill up all those new regenerations.

Unconfirmed but plausible details on titles/writers/directors for Episodes 1-9 of Series 8:

Episode 1 Name - TBC

Writer - Steven Moffat
Director - Ben Wheatley

Episode 2 Name - TBC
Writer - Phil Ford
Director - Ben Wheatley

Episode 3 Name - Robots of Sherwood
Writer - Neil Cross
Director - Paul Murphy

Episode 4 Name - Listen
Writer - Steven Moffat
Director - Douglas Mackinnon

Episode 5 Name - Time Heist
Writer - Stephen Thompson
Director - Douglas Mackinnon

Episode 6 Name - Kill the Moon
Writer - Jack Lothian
Director - Paul Murphy

Episode 7 Name - TBC
Writer - Mark Gatiss
Director - Paul Wilmshurst

Episode 8 Name - Mummy on the Orient Express
Writer - Frank Cottrell Boyce
Director - Paul Wilmshurst

Episode 9 

Name - Flatline
Writer -TBC
Director - TBC

http://www.doctorwhospoilers.com/2014/03/s8-episodes-titles-and-information-for.html

Ok so at the beginning of the month I went to Newcastle Comic Con. Whilst I was there I managed to meet Paul McGann, Sylvester McCoy, Sophie Aldred and Terry Malloy!

Now the photoshoot with McGann and McCoy went swimmingly, they are the most gentle people you can imagine. Their actual talks were hilarious too, McCoy knows who the new Master is and apparently he is scary! He also has a thing about ferrets. Paul McGann on the other hand was pretty serious but he was also laid back, my friend had earlier handcuffed him and... yeah his talk turned out weird.

Sophie Aldred is simply beautiful, she was lovely to talk to and I mentioned the 50th Convention to her and her face lit up. She is adorable. And finally when I walked up to Terry Malloy he said "Greetings Doctor now prepare to die" in his Davros voice! It was actually pretty creepy really.

If you can either meet anyone from Doctor Who I HIGHLY recommend it, you will never meet more amiable celebrities.

In my heart, I will always wish it could be a bizarre crossover with the BBC Robin Hood series of a few years back.

Steven Moffat explains why the TARDIS is still on Trenzalore... sort of

The problem with time travel as a dramatic device is that all of that looping around in a character’s time streat can tie them in knots, particularly when something concrete and unchangeable like a death occurs.

For example, in Doctor Who, how come the TARDIS is still in bits on Trenzalore in “The Name of the Doctor” when subsequent (or possibly previous) events in “The Time of the Doctor” would seem to indicate that the Doctor doesn’t—or didn’t—die on the planet after all? I mean, how could Clara go to the Doctor’s grave and enter his time stream and fix all the harm done by the Great Intelligence if the Doctor didn’t actually die there?

It’s a pickle isn’t it? And one that Steven Moffat himself admits to having wrestled with. And let’s face if, if he’s not sure, what chance do the rest of us have?

Thankfully, help is at hand. Steven, writing in the new issue of Doctor Who Magazine, explains that while he doesn’t always understand how this backwards/forwards, cause/effect timestream thing works, the Doctor most certainly does. So there’s really only one person that is best able to answer the question of the broken TARDIS on Trenzalore, and thankfully he’s on hand to explain:

He said: “I’ve often wondered about that. Fortunately, late one night, the Doctor turned up in person and explained it to me:”

And then, as if by magic, the Doctor appeared, saying “Changing time is tricky. It’s a bit like a detective story: so as long there isn’t an actual body, you’ve got a certain amount of wiggle room – for instance, if the body has, rather conveniently, been burned on a boat in Utah.

“Here’s the thing: I can change the future so long as the future has not already been established as part of my own past. I can’t rescue Amy and Rory because I already know that I didn’t.”

“But what do I know about Trenzalore? There’s a big monument that looks very like my TARDIS. There’s a temporal fissure leading to my timeline. Maybe it’s my grave. Maybe, one day, it’s my burial ground. Maybe it is something else entirely, and we got it all wrong. Don’t know. Don’t plan to find out for as long as possible.

“The main thing is, Clara still jumped into my time stream, and ended up helping me through all of my life. All that is established, unchanged – but there’s wiggle room!”

There, I hope that’s cleared everything up.

• 2 weeks later...

Filming pictures spoilers!

Filming of Episode 3 today, written by Mark Gatiss and we have a new guest star!

tom-riley-robin-hood-doctor-who-filming-

Tom Riley, and if you hadn't deduced who he is playing from the costume, it's Robin Hood. A very, very interesting character choice, I think. Look forward to more.

Also here's Capaldi in a new shirt under his Crombie:

BlL83TmIEAEvgon.jpg

You may also like to wish Peter Capaldi a happy birthday, as today is his 56th year of life anniversary. Also, Sunday saw Peter Davison turn 63, so there's all Peter birthdays this time of year.

It's Jenna Coleman and Russel T Davies' birthday on the 27th too. It's quite the month for Who birthdays.

For someone of his age, Capaldi has a lot of swag.

I agree, he is probably quite a devious cat burglar and should at the earliest opportunity be brought to justice.

I just hate that the term "swag" now means "cool" instead of "stolen goods."

• Thumbs Up 1

I agree, he is probably quite a devious cat burglar and should at the earliest opportunity be brought to justice.

I just hate that the term "swag" now means "cool" instead of "stolen goods."

It's not like a The Doctor hasn't stolen before.....he's even stolen people. If you can consider people as swag.

More filming pictures from the set of Episode 3, which is allegedly titled "The Robots of Sherwood" - which, yes, you guessed it, is most definitely a Robin Hood themed story. Looks interesting!

Tom Riley plays Robin Hood, Ben Miller plays the Sheriff of Nottingham, and Maid Marian is... Jenna Coleman?!

Check out the various links below for the photos!

http://ryanpaulfarrell.tumblr.com/post/82736176795/peter-capaldi-jenna-coleman-and-tom-riley-filming

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/18-new-doctor-who-pictures-6993970

http://www.doctorwhospoilers.com/2014/04/s8-ep3-filming-continues-ben-millers.html

doctor-who-engines-of-war-300x462.jpg

New War Doctor Novel announced

Early details have been revealed on a new Doctor Who hardback novel entitled “Engines of War“, written by George Mann.

The story will fill in some of the blanks of John Hurt’s incarnation and events in the Time War leading up to The Day of the Doctor.

Mann teases what fans can expect in the new DWM: “A new companion! Calculating Time Lords! New Dalek paradigms! It’s a war story, at its heart, set against the backdrop of great turmoil and chaos.

“But it’s also about the Doctor’s personal journey, how he ends up where he is at the beginning of The Day of the Doctor. He’s been through the wringer; and in Engines of War, he’s not given any reprieve.”

The hardcover release is is released 31 July 2014 (RRP £12.99).

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-war-doctor-returns-in-engines-of-war-62958.htm

Sounds interesting to look into the War Doctor some more. See what he got up to in the Time War and what led him to his decision of blowing up Gallifrey or not. Probably pick this up when it is out.

• Thumbs Up 3

Whoa, was not expecting a War Doctor novel any time soon! Very nice. Definitely sounds like an interesting read and I'm a big fan of John Hurt's incarnation of the Time Lord so getting to experience more of him is always a plus.

I'm intrigued to see who the companion is for the story though, as I've always gotten the impression so far that The Doctor fought alone in the Time War. Unless of course they mean a fellow Time Lord, but it seems they're touching on their twisted End of Time personas as well if the blurb is anything to go by... lots of questions to be answered!

I've seen something quite exciting pointed out elsewhere: The top-left Dalek on the cover is a Special Weapons Dalek, but with an RTD-era design.

Interested to see if it talks about some of the stuff mentioned in the show. I'd be interested to really encounter the Nightmare Child.

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of what RTD wrote about the Time War was left open for this very reason, I'm sure - so that fans and later writers had the opportunity to pick up those ideas and develop them if they wanted.

I just wish the 50th actually showed us some of the atrocities he did.I know there's this book but a lot of people don't read the books :(

On a related note I'm still confused as to how the Doctors saving Gallifrey ended the Time War. It took place across all of time and space so how does moving one planet stop the war?

• Thumbs Up 1

Because it also directly caused all of the Daleks to blow up with none left to pull off some time-travel cheat to prevent their destruction.  ...It wasn't a very good or a practical explanation, but it was there.