Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I just wish the 50th actually showed us some of the atrocities he did.I know there's this book but a lot of people don't read the books sad.png

On a related note I'm still confused as to how the Doctors saving Gallifrey ended the Time War. It took place across all of time and space so how does moving one planet stop the war?

All of the Daleks were surrounding Gallifrey and firing on the planet below, The Doctors sent Gallifrey into an alternate universe using their combined TARDIS powers, the Daleks blow each other up in their own crossfire, and any onlookers would think that Gallifrey was destroyed in the process too because it's... well, gone. 

Admittedly it's not the most air-tight solution to the problem, but it's at least a half decent get-out clause.

• Thumbs Up 3

The Daleks blow each other up in their own crossfire

I don't see how this would end the war though if it was taking place across all of space.

I don't see how this would end the war though if it was taking place across all of space.

You just have to suspend your disbelief a bit for it to work, I guess. Presumably all of the Dalek forces, or at least the majority of them, were firing on Gallifrey during the Fall of Arcadia as it was a real breakthrough moment for the villainous pepper pots,leading to the bulk of them being blown up when Gallifrey vanishes. With the Time Lords now onger there to fight back, and most (if not all) of the Daleks destroyed, the two big forces in the war had ceased to be and so anyone else fighting in the war across the rest of space would probably just end up wiping themselves out too or give up on fighting because there's not much left to fight for.

In short, the main source of the war was removed, and so any other traces of it across the universe eventually dissipated too. The Time War probably didn't end immediately after The Doctors moved Gallifrey, but that was certainly the event that made everyone else stop and think "oh, this is probably a bit of a lost cause now".

It's not a perfect explanation, but it's the one Moffat needs you to go with.

If it had been me, I'd just have handwaved something about how transporting Gallifrey through a time portal created a spacetime storm on the edges that wiped out all of the approaching Daleks along with their individual pasts and futures.  Since it doesn't make sense, it's harder to nitpick.

Moffat explains why the John Hurt-Christoper Eccleston regeneration in The Day of The Doctor was cut short:

Steven Moffat has discussed why the regeneration of John Hurt’s Doctor into Christopher Eccleston’s Doctor in last year’s Doctor Who 50th anniversary special was cut short.

The scene in ‘The Day of the Doctor’ ended before viewers could fully see the Ninth Doctor’s face.

Speaking to Doctor Who Magazine in the latest issue, Moffat revealed: “It was one thing to include [Eccleston] among all the other archive Doctors, as they flew in to save the day — in fact, it would have been disgraceful to have left anyone out — but placing him in that scene might have given the impression he’d actually turned up for filming, which would have been crossing the line.”

He added: “Not taking part in the 50th was a difficult decision for Chris, taken after a lot of thought and with great courtesy, and not respecting his wishes would have been grossly unprofessional and disrespectful to a good man and a great Doctor. Number 9 may not have turned up for the celebrations, but there would have been no party without him.”

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/doctor-who-exec-moffat-explains-eccleston-regeneration-cut-in-50th-ep

• Thumbs Up 1

That's fair enough. I didn't mind it being cut short anyway, you could clearly see the transformation taking effect. It would've been nice if Eccleston had filmed a scene to make the regeneration complete, showing how the War Doctor's memories had gone and been replaced by the wave of maddening guilt and false memories of killing his own people... but I'm cool with not getting that.

Here's some brand new filming footage of Peter Capaldi in action on the set of Episode 3 (slight spoiler warning):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sltlJRJoNIc

The Doctor engages in a swordfight with Robin Hood using... well... a spoon.

• Thumbs Up 2

So, the War Doctor novel, Engines of War now has a synopsis:

“The death of billions is as nothing to us Doctor, if it helps defeat the Daleks.”

The Great Time War has raged for centuries, ravaging the universe. Scores of human colony planets are now overrun by Dalek occupation forces. A weary, angry Doctor leads a flotilla of Battle TARDISes against the Dalek stronghold but in the midst of the carnage, the Doctor’s TARDIS crashes to a planet below: Moldox.

As the Doctor is trapped in an apocalyptic landscape, Dalek patrols roam amongst the wreckage, rounding up the remaining civilians. But why haven’t the Daleks simply killed the humans?

Searching for answers the Doctor meets ‘Cinder’, a young Dalek hunter. Their struggles to discover the Dalek plan take them from the ruins of Moldox to the halls of Gallifrey, and set in motion a chain of events that will change everything. And everyone.

An epic novel of the Great Time War featuring the War Doctor as played by John Hurt.

It sounds very interesting indeed. It's released on the 31st of July.

• Thumbs Up 2

What are the odds on it concluding on the "NO MORE" scene from The Day of the Doctor?

Casting News: Hermione Norris is a guest star:

Hermione Norris to guest star in Doctor Who opposite Peter Capaldi when Doctor Who returns this Autumn.

Speaking about her casting, Hermione Norris said, ‘It’s exciting to be part of such an iconic show, and one that my kids can watch!!!’

Norris has recently been starring in The Crimson Field on BBC One, and is no stranger to solving mysteries having played Ros Myers in the BAFTA award-winning drama Spooks. Prior to that she starred in comedy-drama Cold Feet.

Steven Moffat, lead writer and Executive Producer, said, ‘It’s a testament to the quality of Peter Harness’s intense and emotional script, that we’ve been able to attract an actress of the brilliance of Hermione Norris. And for the first time since 1984, the Doctor Who production team is heading to Lanzarote. The Doctor is returning to the scene of an old adventure – but there have been sinister changes since his last visit.’

The episode is written by Peter Harness (Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, Wallander), produced by Peter Bennett and directed by Paul Wilmshurst (Strike Back, Combat Kids). The episode also stars Ellis George, Tony Osoba and Phil Nice.

Other guest stars confirmed to join Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman in the new series, which will TX on BBC One later this year, include Ben Miller, Tom Riley and Keeley Hawes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Hermione-Norris-to-Guest-Star-in-New-Series

What's most interesting is that they're filming in Lanzarote, and Moffat says "The Doctor is returning to the scene of and old adventure - bit there have been sinister changes since his last visit." So I really look forward to what he means, and he describes the scripts as 'intense and emotional' so it should be a cracking episode, by the sounds of things.

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently, Lanzarote is where the Fifth Doctor story Planet of Fire was filmed and set - but of course, there's no guarantee that that's what Moffat's referring to.

• Thumbs Up 1

So there's a Doctor Who Calendar Collection coming out for 2015... and while that's not very interesting in itself, it does actually contain a previously unseen promo pic of Peter Capaldi (and Jenna Coleman too possibly, not sure if it's new or from The Time of The Doctor):

cal1.jpg

cal4.png

cal2.png

• Thumbs Up 4

So there's a Doctor Who Calendar Collection coming out for 2015... and while that's not very interesting in itself, it does actually contain a previously unseen promo pic of Peter Capaldi (and Jenna Coleman too possibly, not sure if it's new or from The Time of The Doctor):

cal1.jpg

cal4.png

cal2.png

I want that calendar... 

I forgot that we had some classic Doctor Who episodes recorded on our Sky box; An Unearthly Child, a Dalek one (forgot which one), and I think Attack Of The Cybermen. There might be more, I haven't checked though since I have them on series link. I might dedicate some time to watching them at some point.

Smith Eager for Another Multi-Doctor Story

Matt Smith has said that he is so eager to return to Doctor Who in a multi-Doctor special that he has already asked Steven Moffat about the earliest opportunity for him to do so.

Speaking at the Calgary expo, he said: “I love the idea of other Doctors coming back. Also that gives me the opportunity to come back, which I totally will by the way!”

“I’m just waiting for the next anniversary. I spoke to Steven the other day and said ‘what’s the quickest one we can do?’”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/smith-eager-for-another-multi-doctor-story-63054.htm

Certainly seems like Smith is having some lingering regret about his decision. I've seen one or two people go as far as to speculate that Smith could come back, pointing to the rumour of Capaldi only being signed up for a year and the whole thing about the Doctor regenerating into old faces. Absolutely no chance in my book though I think we can comfortably say we'll see him again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Series 8 filming continues today on a beach, and a photo of Capaldi with a fan reveals a returning costume...

BoKErdSIAAEno3-.png

That's right, David Tennant's orange jumpsuit from The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit and The Waters of Mars makes a triumphant reason for some reason or another. Seeing as Matt Smith wore it briefly in Hide too, this makes three consecutive Doctors who have all worn the outfit - that's got to be some sort of record, surely? :lol:

• Thumbs Up 3

Something tells me she's going to complain about having to wear it. 

Why exactly are they wearing the suits without helmets or gloves? Kinda pointless, dont you think?

Anyway, I personally love the idea of having Capaldi be the Doctor. He's a longtime fan of the series and he's been working on his iteration of the Doctor for a long time. I'm really looking forward to this year and I hope he gets his contract extended.

That's really the reason why it's only one year. It was one year for a lot of Doctors mainly because they wanted to see if they were up to the task first before committing and ruining it for many fans, so if he blows it (or if Moffat blows it) it's likely we'll see Matt come back. Or a dilapidated Tom Baker.

Why exactly are they wearing the suits without helmets or gloves? Kinda pointless, dont you think?

They may have just merged from another world or story which required them, or they may have thought they were landing in a place that required them, only to emerge somewhere else (it happens).

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a launch month for the new series!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYN6ruU672Y

10275562_882297611784267_323352810044864

• Thumbs Up 6

Holy Guacamole that was some fucking tease...

August was always speculated, so I'm not too surprised by that, and it's not that long of a wait, so that's good.

But god damn those explosions... What do they mean?

Thanks for the birthday present BBC ;)

Nic Briggs was obviously in awe of my costume and the jelly baby I gave him. He must've told Moffat.