Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

The Daleks have been lame for a very long time. Even the amazing Clara Oswald episode Asylum of the Daleks didn't make them look threatening in the slightest. I don't have much faith in Moffat making them better this series.

Speaking of which, I'm tempted to read the scripts now because I want to see if next series will be superior to the last one. =[

Dearie me, the BBC really aren't very good at keeping things under wraps at the moment are they? First the Series 7 finale leaks early, then there was something else surrounding the 50th I'm sure... and now this?

One episode script getting leaked I could deal with, but five? When you consider we're only getting 12 episodes in Series 8, that's practically half of the entire series. Better stay vigilant and keep away from any spoilers for the next couple of months if you want to go in and experience it all completely fresh!

All we can really hope is that - Episode 1 aside, as that's been confirmed - the other four scripts are for more "minor" episodes with no big plot elements or story arcs. It'd still be bad that the scripts have been leaked, but at least it would leave most of the major surprises in store...

Dearie me, the BBC really aren't very good at keeping things under wraps at the moment are they? First the Series 7 finale leaks early, then there was something else surrounding the 50th I'm sure... and now this?

One episode script getting leaked I could deal with, but five? When you consider we're only getting 12 episodes in Series 8, that's practically half of the entire series. Better stay vigilant and keep away from any spoilers for the next couple of months if you want to go in and experience it all completely fresh!

All we can really hope is that - Episode 1 aside, as that's been confirmed - the other four scripts are for more "minor" episodes with no big plot elements or story arcs. It'd still be bad that the scripts have been leaked, but at least it would leave most of the major surprises in store...

I know nothing of the episodes or any spoilers but what I know regarding these scripts are the titles of the episodes and the episode lengths. The titles are the same as the ones from the rumoured list of episodes from a few months ago. The first episode is 70 minutes long and the other four are all between 45 - 47 minutes.

From that alone it seems Series 8 will take a format more akin to Series 5 instead of single, short-film length episodes like in Series 7. I hope this means two part stories will make a return, too.

Aaaaand that's all I know and want to know for now tongue.png

From that alone it seems Series 8 will take a format more akin to Series 5 instead of single, short-film length episodes like in Series 7. I hope this means two part stories will make a return, too.

We already know that Series 8 is going back to a more Series 5-esque approach. It's been confirmed we're getting 12 episodes in a straight run with no gaps in the middle, and a two-part finale written by Steven Moffat.

70 minutes for Capaldi's debut episode though is a nice surprise. That's almost as long as The Day of the Doctor!

We already know that Series 8 is going back to a more Series 5-esque approach. It's been confirmed we're getting 12 episodes in a straight run with no gaps in the middle, and a two-part finale written by Steven Moffat.

70 minutes for Capaldi's debut episode though is a nice surprise. That's almost as long as The Day of the Doctor!

When I mean Series 5 format I mean most of the episodes are normal length again with just one feature length at the beginning; although I'm glad there's no bloody break this time round!

It's great that we're getting a large episode to chew into, though. I'm already confident that Capaldi will be brilliant but this will hopefully establish the new Doctor very well, given how he's been toted to be 'madder' than before (Moffat's words).

The leaked episodes only have two Moffat episodes, so I suppose there's not much risk of big plot points. Well, except for the first episode since it's the first episode.

I disagree with Time of Angels and Flesh and Stone. Those two episodes were fantastic and really showed us another perspective to the Weeping Angels.

After that they should have not been used again because there's only so much you can do with them.

I agree with you regarding those two episodes. In my opinion, "Time of Angels" and "Flesh and Stone" expanded upon The Weeping Angels from what saw with "Blink". I can't recall the exact clip where he said it, but Moffat had a great analogy regarding their first and second appearances. "Blink" was more akin to Alien, and "Time of Angels"/"Flesh and "Stone" were comparable to that of its sequel, Aliens: the former being an intense, claustrophobic and atmospheric horror film and the latter being a deft action movie with a vicious monster threat. I think each instance works for two wholly different reasons. "Blink" gave us a taste of their power and how they operate. The following two episodes enlarged the threat they posed and provided evidence for their cruelty and ingenuity. In my opinion, to use the Alien analogy, it's a logical progression to go from "Blink" to its sequel.

As much as I did like "The Angels Take Manhattan", I felt like it was a step down. I think the idea of having the Statue of Liberty being an Angel is a neat idea, but I don't think it makes any sense given its size and visibility. How could it possibly have traveled that distance without being detected? I know Battery Park isn't far from New York Harbor, but it's still hard for me to suspend my disbelief here. 

I feel that The Weeping Angels are more effective when we see them infrequently. They would lose their mystique if they made too many appearances. Luckily, I don't think it's gone that far overboard yet, but you never know what Moffat will do next. 

• Thumbs Up 3

New pic of Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman from "Deep Breath":

Doctor-Who-Deep-Breath1-600x337.jpg

Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat has promised “plenty of action and nonsense and jeopardy” in the first episode of the show’s new series.

Series 8 begins on BBC One on Saturday 23 August with a feature-length episode, entitled ‘Deep Breath’.

Written by Steven Moffat and directed by Ben Wheatley (Sightseers), the episode features returning guest stars Neve McIntosh as Madame Vastra, Catrin Stewart as Jenny and Dan Starkey as Strax.

Moffat told Entertainment Weekly: “It’s a big introduction—he’s the new Doctor. There’s no point pretending that it’s not the most interesting, dynamic thing that you’ve got to sell in that first episode. It’s going to be about ‘What’s he like? How’s he different?’”

He added: “I suppose it feels a bit like a character piece, but there’s plenty of action and nonsense and jeopardy, as there ever is in Doctor Who.”

Jenna Coleman, who plays companion Clara, hinted at what fans should expect from Peter Capaldi’s new Doctor: “This man is a total adrenaline junkie.”

• Thumbs Up 1

I've stumbled across a really old Q&A panel from 1986 with Jon Pertwee and some of the other actors from his era. It's kinda surreal watching it and realizing this thing is nearly 30 years old because it's just like any other Q&A panel from today, talking about upcoming projects and things they just finished doing as if this was filmed just yesterday. But yeah, if you're a fan of the classic series then I recommend watching this. Pertwee is my favorite Doctor so I never tire of listening to him, especially stuff like this since it tends to be rare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv4yBHPt_-Y

EDIT: Oh god, at one Pertwee dismisses rumors that Patrick Troughton had recently had a heart attack in America. Pretty depressing to think about in hindsight  sad.png

• Thumbs Up 1

According to BBC One's Facebook page, Whovians should keep their eyes open for the half time break of the World Cup Final!

I hope this is something substantial and not a little teaser.

One of the rare occasions I'll willingly watch football

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently it's a full trailer, so hopefully it's something to sink our teeth into.

In other news, following the script leaks, a unfinished cut of Deep Breath has also leaked online... It's in black and white and missing some visual effects... Things really aren't keeping under wraps recently, are they?

www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-8-leaked-episodes-update-64387.htm

• Thumbs Up 2

Here's the full trailer that was shown during the World Cup Final halftime:

The premiere is August 23rd! I can't wait!

• Thumbs Up 2

HYYYYYYYPE!

I'm really happy that I'm excited for Doctor Who again! Capaldi sounds like he's going to make a great Doctor from what I saw in the trailer, he actually reminds me of Eccleston which is a really good thing in my eyes.

Series 8 is looking very nice if that trailer is anything to go by. Capaldi's dark and more unpredictable character is definitely shining through, and it's a pleasant change of pace from the constant quirkiness and upbeat attitude of Matt Smith's Doctor. This time, The Doctor is a man on a mission, and if he's going to right his wrongs he needs to pull his finger out and save his planet.

Must admit I'm a little disappointed to see the Daleks back so soon (and so prominently) though. Obviously it's only fair each Doctor gets a turn at facing off against the most iconic villain of the series, but we've just seen them used in The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor, both in a fairly throwaway capacity - so I hope their appearance here is more substantial and not just another "throw them in for the sake of it" thing. I mean, we already know the Cybermen are back, and I'm fairly sure they're not going to be the big bad of the series, so it could be another monster carnival at this rate... which was a novelty the first time back in The Pandorica Opens, but now it's just lazy.

• 7 months later...

There's been some real wibbly-wobbly nonsense going on with the time vortex recently, so here's a very quick rundown of everything Doctor Who that appears to have been sucked into a black hole...

The Twelfth Doctor arrives on the scene after being hurled up by a dinosaur, he goes a bit loopy for a while, then he embraces his inner Scotsman and quite possibly pushes a man with half a face out of a flying restaurant, impaling him on the spire of Big Ben.

He then goes inside a Dalek, argues with Robin Hood and fights him with a spoon, investigates a lump under the bedsheets, robs a bank, meets Clara's new squeeze, revels in discovering the moon is an egg, meets Frank Skinner on a space train, gets stuck inside a shrunken TARDIS, and ponders why London is suddenly covered in trees.

Clara's boyfriend, Danny Pink, then proceeds to forget his green cross code and gets knocked down by a car. The Doctor and Clara "go to hell" to bring him back, fighting off the Master and an army of Cybermen in the process. In the end, Danny sacrifices himself to save the day, giving up his one chance of survival to save one random kid who he blew up during his army days.

While all these adventures are going on, Clara leaves. But then she doesn't. But then she does. But then she doesn't. But then she almost does again, this time at Christmas, but then doesn't because The Doctor had been a good boy this year and Santa left him a nice Jenna Coleman shaped present under the tree.

Oh, and did I mention that The Master is a woman now? Yeah, that happened. He... I mean, she is now The Mistress (or simply Missy for ease). And she's bonkers. Bonkers Mary Poppins. And she killed Osgood!

But in the end she got zapped by a Cyber-converted Brigadier who is now currently flying around the globe looking to recruit a producer for his new spin-off series.

Is she gone for good? Pfft! She's dead, but she's coming back in the very next episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPGLbKONmNE

So, that's where things stand. The Doctor and Clara are still travelling time and space together, now Danny-less, and they still haven't found Gallifrey. What will Series 9 hold in store? Well, an opening two-parter called The Magician's Apprentice/The Witch's Familiar written by Steven Moffat, followed by another two-parter written by Toby Whithouse... but apart from that, we'll have to wait and see!

• Thumbs Up 1

I still intend upon getting the new season to watch fully. I think I watched most episodes up to near the end of the David Tennant episodes, and then I tailed off, having gotten bored of it during that time for whatever reason. I liked what I saw of it after years of not watching, but the episodes I saw were, from what I heard, the weaker episodes, so I want to see how good this can get.

• 2 weeks later...

Two years ago we celebrated its fiftieth... now today, we celebrate its tenth! How very wibbly-wobbly-timey-wimey! Happy Birthday to (new) Doctor Who!

That's right, today marks a whole decade since The Doctor blasted back onto our screens in the guise of Christopher Eccleston, grabbing Billie Piper by the hand and saying the immortal line - "Run!" ...and ten years later, the running has never stopped!

What are your favourite memories and moments from the revived series? Here's Peter Capaldi's recollection of seeing "Rose" for the first time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkpEBYSM3nE

• Thumbs Up 3

Series 9 news ahoy!

First up is the announcement that Maisie Williams from Game of Thrones will be guest starring in the new series...

MaisieWilliams-landscape.jpg
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's going to be quite a series this year, with a really interesting line-up of people working on it from all angles.  I wonder if Maisie Williams is going to play a sort of Sally Sparrow kind of character - the sort of one-off guest star people still talk about years later as a great potential companion.

The official Doctor Who social media accounts occasionally post sneaky set reporting images.  Here's their latest bunch, a sly set tour from that loveable scamp, the Easter Bunny!

CBqnp5GXIAA96oC.jpg

CBqoyaZWAAAEGUE.jpg

CBqp7yeWgAA_QyY.jpg

CBqrGRrXIAASJnB.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• 2 weeks later...

Potential spoiler alert - The Mirror (of "Jenna Coleman is leaving... wait, no she isn't!" fame) has supposedly leaked some details from the Series 9 opening two-parter, The Magician's Apprentice and The Witch's Familiar, claiming it to be the darkest story yet...

Read on at your peril!

Doctor Who will kick off the new series with one of its darkest ever plots as Peter Capaldi’s Time Lord ponders whether to murder a child.

The dramatic season opener is based on a line muttered 40 years ago by Tom Baker’s Doctor in Genesis of the Daleks.

At the time, he asked: “If someone who knew the future pointed out a child to you and told you that child would grow up totally evil, to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives, could you then kill that child?”

Capaldi’s nightmare unfolds after the Tardis takes him to a battlefield where he realises he is face to face with a younger version of his arch-enemy Davros, who went on to create the Daleks.

The dictator, played as a grown-up by Julian Bleach, was last seen in 2009 when he locked horns with David Tennant’s version of The Doctor.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-doctor-evil-time-5521289

If it's true... then holy balls, that's going to be an interesting opening to the series! Take it with a pinch of salt for now though, of course, as it's only tabloid speculation until proven true... although, even though they got it wrong in the end, The Mirror weren't totally unfounded in their Jenna Coleman exit story seeing as it's since been confirmed there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing on her part. Wouldn't be surprised if at least some of these new details ring true!

Potential spoiler alert - The Mirror (of "Jenna Coleman is leaving... wait, no she isn't!" fame) has supposedly leaked some details from the Series 9 opening two-parter, The Magician's Apprentice and The Witch's Familiar, claiming it to be the darkest story yet...

Read on at your peril!

Doctor Who will kick off the new series with one of its darkest ever plots as Peter Capaldi’s Time Lord ponders whether to murder a child.

The dramatic season opener is based on a line muttered 40 years ago by Tom Baker’s Doctor in Genesis of the Daleks.

At the time, he asked: “If someone who knew the future pointed out a child to you and told you that child would grow up totally evil, to be a ruthless dictator who would destroy millions of lives, could you then kill that child?”

Capaldi’s nightmare unfolds after the Tardis takes him to a battlefield where he realises he is face to face with a younger version of his arch-enemy Davros, who went on to create the Daleks.

The dictator, played as a grown-up by Julian Bleach, was last seen in 2009 when he locked horns with David Tennant’s version of The Doctor.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/doctor-who-doctor-evil-time-5521289

If it's true... then holy balls, that's going to be an interesting opening to the series! Take it with a pinch of salt for now though, of course, as it's only tabloid speculation until proven true... although, even though they got it wrong in the end, The Mirror weren't totally unfounded in their Jenna Coleman exit story seeing as it's since been confirmed there was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing on her part. Wouldn't be surprised if at least some of these new details ring true!

Not too sure what to think, especially since another villain is meant to appear in said episode.

http://geeksmash.com/movies-tv/missy-returns-doctor-who219

Missy is in the opening episodes apparently (making for terrible pacing in my opinion, she's 'killed' at the end of the last series and instantly returns at the start of the new). Having a mini Davros story and having a return of Missy story seems way too cluttered. Also, the name of the episode is "The Magicans Apprentice", how would that work with Davros? Not sure what to make of it...

• Thumbs Up 1

New monster alert! In spoiler tags in case anyone wants to go into Series 9 completely blind, but this is being plastered all over Doctor Who's official social media so be warned...

Doctor%2BWho%2Bmonster_series%2B9.jpg

It's a... thingy-ma-jig!

This is from the episodes currently being filmed at the moment - The Girl Who Died and The Woman Who Lived. Or at least one of them, anyway. I cannot for the life of me work out whether those stories are meant to be a two-parter or not - their titles are very similar, they're both allegedly in a period setting, but they have completely different writers which would be a first for Doctor Who! I'm starting to wonder if any story in Series 9 will be standalone, we've presumably got three two-parters confirmed already (Episodes 1/2, 3/4, 5/6) and the final will undoubtedly be a two-parter as well... so that leaves only 4 or 5 episodes (depending on if we get 12 or 13 this year) that could be single episode stories. Not that I don't like two-parters, I'm just not used to having so many of them in one go!