Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Fantastic, something to look forward to! Guessing the TARDIS is going to have trouble since the New Doctor has temporarily forgotten how to fly her. Hope Clara remembers some of 11's brief training XD

You'd think that they'd want to keep this Tardis interior at least a series longer to get their money's worth...

I doubt they'll change the 'desktop' this early in. After all, we see that Capaldi saves Gallifrey in it, so it has to stick around a bit longer, right?

We only say Capaldi's face in that scene. Or rather his INTENSE EYEBROW ACTION. Either way, the TARDIS interior is gonna see rough times cause if you remember from the Xmas special, he doesn't remember how to fly it. Something tells me we're gonna have a crash just like Smith's entrance.

We also see him pull a lever which is on the console of the current TARDIS interior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=UoLyXkqgRvI

That certainly looks as if it is the current interior.

So the new teaser left you wishing for more? How about one from the guy who made the Wholock video? This is pretty much as close to an official teaser as you could want:

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh god I'm too American for this.

For someone who wants to get into this, what's a good place to jump in Doctor Who? Netflix starts with the episodes from 2005 should I start there, or do I need to watch every episode released since the stone age?

Oh god I'm too American for this.

For someone who wants to get into this, what's a good place to jump in Doctor Who? Netflix starts with the episodes from 2005 should I start there, or do I need to watch every episode released since the stone age?

The series is split into two eras. The classic series which goes from 1963 to 1996 and then the new era kicks in from 2005 onwards. Series 1 of the new series is the best place to start. If you get into it then go back to have a look at the classic series. Be warned though, the stories are much slower paced. Four parts for a single story is commonplace. 

The series is split into two eras. The classic series which goes from 1963 to 1996 and then the new era kicks in from 2005 onwards. Series 1 of the new series is the best place to start. If you get into it then go back to have a look at the classic series. Be warned though, the stories are much slower paced. Four parts for a single story is commonplace. 

Ah okay. Sounds okay with me. The "Series" term put me off and confused me a bit. It's basically British terminology for season yes?

Will I be missing out on any information from not watching the old series or am I ok?

Ah okay. Sounds okay with me. The "Series" term put me off and confused me a bit. It's basically British terminology for season yes?

Will I be missing out on any information from not watching the old series or am I ok?

Nah, you wont need much knowledge of the classics to start the new series. In fact, Series 1 feels like it was made so that Newcomers could get into it easily.

So, yeah, you'll be okay.

Start with the 2005 season and go from there. Once you get caught up, you can then look for (or request from us) older stories available on Netflix (or via audiobook, for the 8th Doctor's adventures) which are particularly worth watching. Many Classic Who episodes and stories are lost to us, thanks to the limitations and costs of the technologies used to record the old episodes, which lead to tapes being routinely wiped and recorded over, so it's best there to just look for the best surviving tales of each early Doctor to get a good flavor of who they were.

Whoo. Wow thanks for all the advice guys. Really makes starting this series less intimidating.

Start with the 2005 season and go from there. Once you get caught up, you can then look for (or request from us) older stories available on Netflix (or via audiobook, for the 8th Doctor's adventures) which are particularly worth watching. Many Classic Who episodes and stories are lost to us, thanks to the limitations and costs of the technologies used to record the old episodes, which lead to tapes being routinely wiped and recorded over, so it's best there to just look for the best surviving tales of each early Doctor to get a good flavor of who they were.

Silly Brits. :P

Yeah they do have those stuff on Netflix so I'll definitely take a look back on those to. thanks again guys

Okay, so this is interesting:

The BBC considered ending the show after the 10th Doctor's run:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-who-could-have-ended-with-tennant-63467.htm

Steven Moffat has revealed that the BBC considered ending Doctor Who after the Tenth Doctor’s run.

Speaking at the Hay Festival, he said: “David owned that role in a spectacular way, gave it an all-new cheeky sexy performance and became a national treasure. And he didn’t do it instantly, he did it over time. So the idea that Doctor Who could go on at all in the absence of David was a huge question.”

“I didn’t realise how many people thought it wouldn’t succeed at all. That was quite terrifying when I found out about it later.

“I think there were plans maybe to consider ending it. It was Russell T Davies saying, you are not allowed to end it.”

It's interesting to know that they considered doing that, and were going to go ahead with it. Thank god Russel T Davies convinced them not to.

Signer-songwriter Foxes to appear in Series 8 (as well as perform a track):

British singer-songwriter Foxes will perform a track and appear in the new series of Doctor Who, which lands this August on BBC One.

Foxes, speaking about her casting said: "I can't believe I'm actually going to be in an episode of Doctor Who! Especially as it all came about from a chance meeting. I was playing a gig and got chatting to the show's production team who'd been watching my performance. I was telling them how much I loved Doctor Who and next thing they invited me to be on it. I couldn't think of a better place to make my acting debut than on one of the UK's most iconic shows!"

Steven Moffat, lead writer and executive producer, said: "We are completely thrilled that the amazingly talented Foxes is joining us on board ... well, you'll see. Let's just say, the Doctor is finally catching up on his phone calls."

Grammy award-winning Foxes has recently been on tour in the UK, supporting her album Glorious, which recently debuted top 5 in the official album chart. This follows on from her three hit singles - Youth, Let Go For Tonight and Holding Onto Heaven.

Guest stars confirmed to join Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman in the new series, which will air on BBC One this August, include Frank Skinner, Ben Miller, Tom Riley, Keeley Hawes and Hermione Norris.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2014/foxes-doctor-who

Moffat's quote there has got me thinking... "on board" something? And The Doctor's catching up on his phone calls? You don't think... maybe... an Egyptian goddess loose on the Orient Express?

• 2 weeks later...

'Doctor Who: The World Tour' has been announced, whereby Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat will be touring 7 cities around the world from August 7th in the UK to the 19th in Brazil, the cities being: Cardiff and London (UK); Seoul (South Korea); Sydney (Australia); New York City (USA); Mexico City (Mexico) and Rio de Janeiro (Brazil). Moffat may not be attending to every city however.

Announcement video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B7yo4PHMpY

This is kinda impressive. I wasn't expecting this, given they only started filming in January. Gives me the sense that Moffat is very enthusiastic about Series 8 and the fact Peter Capaldi is dedicated to do this in the space of 12 days right after filming the series fills me with hope.

In my opinion I do think they should have stopped off in Canada after New York instead of visiting Cardiff AND London, but this is still good.

Paul McGann confirms that a sequel to The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot is in the works!

Excellent news. The Day of the Doctor aside, The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot was easily one of the best things about the fiftieth anniversary celebrations, so more of the same is very welcome. Admittedly it might seem a bit less exciting considering all the hype of the anniversary has now fizzled away, but I'm still looking forward to it nevertheless!

Paul McGann confirms that a sequel to The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot is in the works!

Excellent news. The Day of the Doctor aside, The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot was easily one of the best things about the fiftieth anniversary celebrations, so more of the same is very welcome. Admittedly it might seem a bit less exciting considering all the hype of the anniversary has now fizzled away, but I'm still looking forward to it nevertheless!

That special was hilarious!

"This is not some flash-in-the-pan $500 million picture! This is important!"

Does anyone else feel like Christopher Ecclestone doesn't get enough credit for playing the Doctor?

I mean he helped bring it back, he made the show viable again. Sure it wouldn't get massively popular until Tennant but I honestly kind of prefer Chris' Doctor.

He brought more weight to the role and you could see the effect of the Time War on him. He made it believable.

Honestly David Tennant is my least favourite New Who Doctor (not counting Capaldi as we've barely seen him.)

• Thumbs Up 2

Sounds like Clara isn't going to like Calpadi's new Doctor at all. Heck, doesn't sound like Calpadi is sure of himself.

The BBC One Twitter feed describes the first episode as "feature length"

https://twitter.com/BBCOne/status/482604054968025090

What that actually means... who knows. But it probably means we're getting a longer-than-45-minutes debut episode for Capaldi. And may I say, he is looking very promising indeed!

Roll on 23rd August!

Oh, and those juicy new promo pics:

6487210-high_res-.jpg

6487197-high_res-.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4