Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

I have no major problems with the boss fight. It actually sets a half decent foundation for the rest of the game. Its basically showing you that crashing into his chest for negligible damage is the most basic route. Its constantly encouraging you to step back, read his 1 attack with a huge wind up and parry it. Even when the light show starts for phase 2, its merely a distraction to train your eyes to ignore the clutter and seek out the only thing that matters. Identity the attack pattern, then punish it. 

Fighting mechanics 101. Reward skill over button mashing. Later bosses will get more attacks with less of a tell and then things can start getting interesting. 

My biggest complaint is aesthetic. Sure he starts getting all glitchy as he gets close to death, but I would have liked to see a little more environment damage or some chunks of armor flying off. That thing should throw mountains at you lol. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

My biggest complaint is aesthetic. Sure he starts getting all glitchy as he gets close to death, but I would have liked to see a little more environment damage or some chunks of armor flying off. That thing should throw mountains at you lol. 

Environmental damage will probably be pretty impossible because, well, after you beat him you're still gonna go back to said environment, they'd need to account for whatever chunks are destroyed when mapping the place and make sure nothing important is there, so that's a whole part of the map that's just empty

• Thumbs Up 2

A little preplanning goes a long way. Put a decorative obelisk nearby and presto, makeshift sword. Stuff like that. Let him pull a metal overlord, reach into a cloud and pull out one of those floating emerald pyramid dealies. Huck that sucker.

One of the Titans should have a ground pound or something that uncovers a cave that can be explored after the fight. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

That's not the problem here. The problem is your stance is being presented as talking out of both sides of your mouth. 

You can't claim to "concerned" by the by how fast some demo players were chewing through content toward the endgame while also acknowledging that it can only be done by choosing to skip over huge swaths of content in the first place.

Not talking out of both sides of my mouth. Let’s not do that. This is an open world game. There are things you have to do for progression, there are things you can do for 100%. No necessary content was skipped over - they did everything you needed to do to progress. There’s more than one way to skin a cat when it comes to games like this. That’s cool. It probably won’t take only an hour to beat for most people. That’s also cool. I was just shocked that it was that easy.  

The other games you mentioned take, like you said, a Youtube video explaining how to grind, or have mechanics that take a few hours to learn before you can break them wide open. In other words, time, more time than this demo did/does. It was just surprising to see that people who had been playing Frontiers for such little time managed to do that with very little prior knowledge, YT tutorials, any of that. It makes the game seem shorter and easier than I had been thinking it would be. 

StellarBlur has articulated the point you guys have been posting about well so I’m good to leave it there. 

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

See, the reason we "split hairs" is to avoid misinformation. Like, it wasn't even Iizuka who said this.

When you get details blatantly wrong, that doesn't help your case.

Ok, my bad. Kishimoto said that. Moving on: 

1 hour ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Condemning the game and what devs promised, doesn't work if you're applying it to the wrong context, and on incomplete information as it is.

Kishimoto did suggest a certain runtime on average, but you're putting that against a bout of taking up a section of the game. Not even necessarily that big a portion of the game done legit at that.

It comes off as phoney or severely misguided,  especially since it's not really a good representation of the idea you have there.

I didn’t even condemn the game. I’ve been more positive about this game than most people on this very forum, lmao. I just didn’t expect a game said to be this long to get broken open like this, this fast, by people who had basically never played it before. I don’t at all know what you mean by phoney. To assume I’m operating in bad faith is presumptive at best. I want to enjoy this game the same as everyone else and am looking forward to playing. I’m not even saying it looks bad or Forces-level short. 

The game just looks shorter than I thought it would be from this and i think that’s perfectly reasonable. I was just quickly expressing how I felt after seeing the video, even said multiple times that I could be wrong in the end - was not looking for or expecting a debate on the matter at all, and i have zero desire to continue. Way cooler shit to talk about at hand. let’s get a round of applause for giganto’s fucked up teeth 

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what, I take it back. The Super Sonic fight is the type of stupid, over the top shit I've been missing from this series.

Hopefully it doesn't play as bad as it looks.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Chuckle 1

I wanna see super sonic pull a raiden and body slam one of these titans.

Spoiler

RULES OF NATURE!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

A little preplanning goes a long way. Put a decorative obelisk nearby and presto, makeshift sword. Stuff like that. Let him pull a metal overlord, reach into a cloud and pull out one of those floating emerald pyramid dealies. Huck that sucker.

One of the Titans should have a ground pound or something that uncovers a cave that can be explored after the fight. 

Yes, YES.

I think having to climb the first Titan to grab the final Emerald is a good enough start to the potential dynamisms that the main bosses for each of the islands may possess, but I really want to see them get creative with it. 

Say during the volcano island you fight the titan there, it causes the volcano to erupt, which in turn creates a whole new area. 'Cuz, y'know, volcanos make new land and all. I doubt it'd go that far, but they have huge potential on how much they can potentially shake up your progress. The fact that you have to run away from the titan of the second island has me hoping they'll do a good amount with it.

• Thumbs Up 2

41 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

It's funny you mention Metal Overlord, because that's the first thing that came to my mind while watching this titan fight.. HUMPH, YOU ACTUALLY THOUGHT YOU COULD DEFEAT ME, BY TRANSFORMING INTO A MONSTER?!

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I have no major problems with the boss fight. It actually sets a half decent foundation for the rest of the game. Its basically showing you that crashing into his chest for negligible damage is the most basic route. Its constantly encouraging you to step back, read his 1 attack with a huge wind up and parry it. Even when the light show starts for phase 2, its merely a distraction to train your eyes to ignore the clutter and seek out the only thing that matters. Identity the attack pattern, then punish it. 

Fighting mechanics 101. Reward skill over button mashing. Later bosses will get more attacks with less of a tell and then things can start getting interesting. 

At this point this is really coming down to the "what I want in a Sonic game" kinda deal.

Sonic with albeit simplified Bayonetta combat? I'm fucking in. The game already confirms having "witch time" and a lot of people I know who went to egx thinks it works fine. 

The press two buttons QTE that happens when the boss gets staggered and when you do a parry is perfectly fine. I can understand completely that its not what people don't want from a Sonic game... but man I just smiling ear to ear here. There nothing bad about that kind of combat considering some of the greats utilize similar methods. 

The only reason why I wouldn't like any of this is if this comes out as a buggy mess or its a bit too easy as the game progresses. Which is still a high chance of happening considering the company, but I'm so fucking down. I'm in. This combat already more fun by default the BOTW for me. 

I think that the demo is just the full game with a timer, and the parts of the first island that are locked (out of reach), will be locked in the final game too until you return there later. If you can reach the titan, defeat it and trigger the transition to the next island, it means that the locked part of the island is not necessary up to that point of the story and it's likely for later.

• Thumbs Up 1

I speculate the game will have you revisit the islands after you finish off the titans, likely after the real villain reveals themselves.

Highest expectations is that you get a "second run" of each of the islands, where on top of having the rest of the islands to explore, you also have some major change to the islands that shake up the gameplay.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

The boss is a camera eating monstrosity. I'm guessing the timing on the parry has to be pretty lenient, because otherwise I"m not sure how you're supposed to block attacks you can't see.

The rest of it was either mindless mashing, QTEs or cutscenes. I'm not even sure how Bayonetta even came into the equation which how much more involved that game is than this. Even the worst bosses in 2 have better camera work and that's saying a lot.

• Thumbs Up 3

If I was a betting man, I'd say there would be some kind of late game grind gate pertaining to collecting enough memory cores for Tails/Knux/Amy.

Probably nothing too steep, but enough that you would be forced to revisit earlier islands if you haven't been going over them with a fine tooth comb.

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:
  Hide contents

The boss is a camera eating monstrosity. I'm guessing the timing on the parry has to be pretty lenient, because otherwise I"m not sure how you're supposed to block attacks you can't see.

Your supposed to back up.

His wind up for the attack takes half an hour and he literally reaches back across the horizon. The game does everything but flash neon lights telling you to back up and parry the attack, and if you still somehow manage to miss all those signs a tutorial hint window pops up and tells you to do it anyway.

Speedrunning this titan might be kinda fun. Crashing into him for chip damage while you wait for the big swing and zooming out to counter it like a boss. I hope there is someway to re-play these bosses. Even if they don't drop extra rewards.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are these bosses really that hard to understand? I remember when the Sumo boss was revealed and some acted like it was fundamentally incomprehensible but it's like... it's pretty simple?

The camera work is shaky (literally!) but like SegaDogTagz said, the titan boss is telegraphed as fuck. 

The boss (and most of the bosses, actually) are designed to make you not too comfortable button mashing. 

There's a weird yellow light trail "attack" that seems to have been activated at one point in the battle, but I can't tell how it works considering Sonic appears to disappear from view for a spell. I doubt that the enemy uses a yellow attack, so it bodes well for Super having a more robust moveset, but can't tell what it means in spite of that.

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:
  Hide contents

The rest of it was either mindless mashing, QTEs or cutscenes. I'm not even sure how Bayonetta even came into the equation which how much more involved that game is than this. Even the worst bosses in 2 have better camera work and that's saying a lot.

Any time the boss was attacking, you could see that the player was in a "ready" pose that I would assume is holding the parry before using the counter. Challenging combat might be off the table because of that if it's not reduced in hard mode tbh.

As for how you're supposed to see it, hitting the head is the only way to knock the boss back into the stumbling animation, so the boss design really doesn't mean for you to be as close to the boss as the player typically was. Because of that design, it's going to remain a single perspective on the fight rather than attempting to attack it from all angles - if the player figures that out, they should be able to avoid the jank and deal the most damage, while every attack is still visible due to the head length.

Nowhere near Bayonetta in multiple departments, but I wouldn't consider the boss particularly egregious either in light of it, considering how the collosi battles in those games often revolve around dealing damage at close quarters in a less-than-connective manner as well.

That Titan boss...

Spoiler

LOOKS really cool. In fact, I thought that looked almost absolutely amazing. Putting in some more fitting music in the background made that fight a joy to watch. The visual flare of it all was really something else and blows nearly ever previous Super Sonic fight out of the water for sure. The only thing I thought looked dumb was the barrage of fists and kicks that would come out of nowhere slamming the robot. That shit looks stupid when seeing it constantly. The Super Sonic cloning attack, if that's something we can call it, looks cool at first but gets annoying to see over and over again. 

But the problem is that while it LOOKS cool to watch, it also LOOKS like it PLAYS like shit. Something about the way the fight goes on in there looks like it controls like total repetitive Jank with little in the way of requiring creative input from the player and that has me concerned. The cool-factor of it all might be enough to make up for it, but I'm worried for how well that boss feels actually playing it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Wraith said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Like you can't mindlessly press Y over and over in bayo 2 and kill the first boss or others just fine. Bayo is all about YOU doing things with style and flair but you can just as eaily play the game mashing the same combo string over and over and beat the game.

Whenever the Boss does attack he attacks in neutral (using fighting game terms here) with clear as day wind up. QTEs segments happen in bayo 1 and 2 all the time as finishers or when bosses grapple you and you have to spin the joystick. I agree the camera has a bit of jank but come the fuck on.

The constant samey attacks are actually the counterattack for the parry, since the player waited for the boss to attack before the prompt popped up every time. It might be linked to an actual finisher we use during the regular combos, might not, but either way it's an explanation for how repetitive it looked.

It also seemed to do the most damage, but again, if the regular combat has finishers like the main gameplay does, then the "need" to parry would be offset by whatever those options would afford in terms of similar or even more damage, potentially.

In terms of fighting game mechanics, you would expect parry's and counters to be the best way to deal chunk damage. Any additions to Sonic moveset would just let him do more work in-between opportunities to parry.

The reason why the move is so dang flashy, is because the game wants to encourage you to do it more often. A more leveled up Super may deal more damage across the board, so you wouldn't have to wash/rinse/repeat quite as much, but the idea is the best possible route to take for this kind of thing.

Its also worth noting that base sonic gets stronger as his combo chain gets higher, so the same may be true for Super. Perhaps the availability of crashing into his body whenever you want also serves as an opportunity to boost the combo gauge and deal even greater damage.

There are healthy bones here.

• Thumbs Up 1

When I first saw the boss fight, the immediate comparison I made was with the Leviathan boss fight in Final Fantasy XV.

Suffice to say, I don't like this at all.

A small bit of new info, but one that may be revelatory for people who have been speculating about the plot since April 2021. I wasn't sure whether this should go in the main thread to to it being a pseudo-official source, but...

Famitsu article. It's about the official guide for the game.

Spoiler

The fastest playing guide for "Sonic Frontier" will be released simultaneously with the game on November 8th!  Deliver strategy information at supersonic speed ★

The volcanic third island is called "Chaos Island". This actually does technically fit with the naming scheme of Greek cosmology, even if it's not technically a conventional God or Titan.

Also, I don't know how representational these cute little postcard graphics are, but those ruins look like heretofore-unseen locations on Kronos and Ares.

• Thumbs Up 1

While the fight itself looks pretty boring (yet still more interesting than most super sonic fights), it's the story potential that has me excited.

Surely by this point even Sonic is aware of how formulaic his adventures all are, and mainly with the first boss(es) being the easiest to dispose of. I really hope they point out that Sonic is having to resort to Super this early on. I think it'd be really interesting to see Sonic step back and realize he may actually be in trouble if he's this early on and already having to resort to Super, something that 95% of the time is the final moment of an adventure.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can't quite see at which level Sonic is when he's fighting the Titan, but I assume, since that guy rushed the game and did only the mininum required to collect the Emeralds ASAP, he's probably at a very low level, so maybe that's why even Super Sonic's attacks do so little damage and the battle takes forever. 

• Thumbs Up 1