Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

The Cyberspace stages just feel like another example of a 3D Sonic outing's usual shortcomings to me.

Something that inherently doesn't have the best controls, and looks to play pretty poorly if every action doesn't fit the exact intention the developers hoped for. But if the player plays it "right" and tries to put enough effort into the odds and ends the design does come with, they can have fun with it.

It's just wild that this is the state of boost gameplay after 14 years, much less peaking on it's debut and then falling off after its second game. Even worse when they change it in ways that fundamentally alter the gameplay of the style but don't appear to capitalize on it at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, light-gaia said:

It doesn't look like 1:! Recreation to me. A lot of sections are different, even though they have similar gimmicks

similar gimmicks? they are exactly the same. The literal exact same. All they did was reskin them to fit the new aesthetic.

and this level is indeed still a blatant copy of the original. You can follow the level in your mind's eye and know what is coming because we've lived this before. Was there any doubt when you saw Sonic go through that giant loop that he was going right into a down-the-wall section into a launch which throws you directly into some parallel bars? All they really did was condense the stage down to a "greatest hits" and hit the shuffle button.

22 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

similar gimmicks? they are exactly the same. The literal exact same. All they did was reskin them to fit the new aesthetic.

and this level is indeed still a blatant copy of the original. You can follow the level in your mind's eye and know what is coming because we've lived this before. Was there any doubt when you saw Sonic go through that giant loop that he was going right into a down-the-wall section into a launch which throws you directly into some parallel bars? All they really did was condense the stage down to a "greatest hits" and hit the shuffle button.

Yeah, it has the same City Escape gimmicks, I actually meant it has the same gimmicks, with some similar sections, but with a different layout. And yes, it has a different layout. We can just watch City Escape and this nighttime City cyberspace level side-by-side, and they don't have the exact same layout.

It has the same gimmicks: the diamond-shaped platforms, the inclines, the polls. But with a different layout. And yes, I recognized all the City Escape elements since the first gameplay I saw from this cyberspace levels. It's not the same layout.

It's the same layout, except they cut some parts. It's not improved, it's not equal but different, it's just less.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, similar to the other levels we've seen, it's essentially the same level design with a couple things cut out. There are some very minor changes, but they aren't anything major enough to make any real difference or really disguise the fact that they are straight up re-using levels. It's just slimmed down City Escape. The clip of that 2D Green Hill is just Classic Green Hill from Gens. Even if it's not exactly 1:1, it's so incredibly close that the differences cease to matter.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

Bruh... not going down this road again.

At this point all I can say is that anyone who can't see it; just doesn't want to see it. Its hard to do much more than point to video evidence.

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay but I appreciate making the back-and-fourth dash pads of the original an actual upper path, let alone a ramp to launch Sonic sideways into the air vertically. The original park area always felt so pointless when those dash pads were the only reward for exploring.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

At this point all I can say is that anyone who can't see it; just doesn't want to see it. Its hard to do much more than point to video evidence.

It's called the five stages of grief for a reason. Honestly I feel like it's just stage one of it at this point

The cyberspace stages look alright, maybe it's a good thing they're far from the focus of this game. They look more involved than forces' boost stages (even though that's not really a high bar to pass), but they don't look as fun or interesting as Unleashed's boost levels. At least sonic going into a ball and being shot up into the air from a ramp (without the use of a boost pad/spring!) was pretty nice to see.

I just hope there's a way to speed Sonic up during the cyberspace stages, cause as it stands right now these are almost Sonic Boom 3DS levels of slow and stiff.

32 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

It's called the five stages of grief for a reason. Honestly I feel like it's just stage one of it at this point

Or some people don't find it to be a big deal. 

I didn't see any of these kind of complains for most of the returning acts of Sonic Mania basically reusing 1 to 1 ACTs and fusing together.

And you know what... now that I recall, there were complaints, but at the end of the day what mattered was the overall experience. People still loved it and consider it one of the best games in the entire franchise. I can't believe despite all the great impressions this is getting people are obsessed on latching on to shit do call doom an gloom about. Like this entire game is going to fail if cyberspace levels reuse level layout ideas form prior games. 

Like for real. That's the least worst thing that could happen. I'd love to see Speed Highway, Windy Valley, Hot Shelter from Sonic Adventure return in this format. I'd be fine with it you know... considering it not the main game mode

53 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Oh, so you still haven't muted some ones? 👀

13 minutes ago, Voyant said:

Or some people don't find it to be a big deal. 

Its one thing to not think its a big deal. Its another entirely to not see it happening at all. And a third thing to continuously dispute it presence when it happens again. and again.

13 minutes ago, Voyant said:

I didn't see any of these kind of complains for most of the returning acts of Sonic Mania basically reusing 1 to 1 ACT and fusing together.

destiny-exo-stranger.gif

If I could reach you, I'd whack you with a rolled up newspaper halfway through that sentence.

5 minutes ago, Jango said:

Oh, so you still haven't muted some ones? 👀

You'd think so.... but no   lol

17 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Its one thing to not think its a big deal. Its another entirely to not see it happening at all. And a third thing to continuously dispute it presence when it happens again. and again.

destiny-exo-stranger.gif

If I could reach you, I'd whack you with a rolled up newspaper halfway through that sentence.

You'd think so.... but no   lol

I mean... don't get me wrong! Anyone saying they aren't reusing level ideas is blind lawl. 

And as for Mania I already said that there were complaints, but they weren't GAME ruining. It's not going to destroy the game because they exist in this format. There are people trying really hard to allude to that and I'm JUST MAKING SURE that those people who are fussing about this would have made the same complaints before with Mania. If you didn't then I'm gonna take newspaper and slap back.

I apologize for adding a dose of optimism and perspective. You'd be surprised on how easy people would let other shit slide just because its "Classic Sonic" or whatever shit the fandom comes up with to classify eras.

I also have a habit about viewing more from an overall perspective... due to my job I tend to think a lot more externally when it comes to game development instead of what I EXACTLY want out of any series. 

I don't think the Cyberspace will ruin the game. I'm more concerned about...the everything else honestly. I doubt it'll suck or anything, but it just doesn't have that Sonic The Hedgehog vibe, y'know? It's hard to explain, but it feels like something is missing

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, The Deleter said:

Sounds like Sonic gains the boost aura permanently once he reaches level 5 in the speed upgrades

This is both a good and bad thing imo, as I didn’t expect the upgrades to increase Sonic’s max boost speed outright, and if it’s only at level 5, it could get pretty crazy later on. Potentially even faster than the 400 rings boost.

on the other hand though, the top speed increase was what I was hoping would be the saving grace for the base walking speed itself, because as of right now, the walking speed cap is the most egregious thing about the cyberspace stages. If it ends up upgrading itself as well alongside the boost top speed, cool, but as of right now it sounds like Frontiers’ physics might be the most damning thing about how well it will play, at least in the linear stages.

also, apparently the bounce ability Jon described as being the SA2 bounce was unlocked after the cage trapping Amy is absorbed into Sonic’s arm:

This means the move is different from the basic “bounce” that uses the stomp, since that is available in the tutorial area to begin with.

Honestly, this game is definitely looking like a sublime smorgasbord of a Sonic moveset, among other things, which make this seem like the pinnacle of versatility while keeping things well on the caliber of Sonic.

It certainly helps to paint good reason for the major bouts of praise found for this game in the impressions. 

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Voyant said:

And as for Mania I already said that there were complaints, but they weren't GAME ruining. It's not going to destroy the game because they exist in this format. There people trying really hard to allude to that and I'm JUST MAKING SURE that those people who are fussing about this would have made the same complaints before with Mania. If you didn't then I'm gonna take newspaper and slap back.

I apologize for adding a dose of optimism and perspective. You'd be surprised on how easy people would let other shit slide just because its "Classic Sonic" or whatever shit the fandom comes up with to classify eras.

I'm sure there are some people out there who will justify what Mania did by slapping on the 2D nostalgia goggles and pledging blind allegiance (not me, I'm a 3D fan if anything)...

but if your trying to draw a double standard between Mania re-using level layouts and what Frontiers is doing; its just not a genuine comparison to make. Its two different situations.

Isn't Mania's level design, with the zones' acts that include acts 1 or 2 of the same zone from previous games; still tied in with some original aspects of the same act? In other words, don't such zone's first acts have both original and new stuff in them? Because I don't see Frontiers doing that.

Not that I am complaining, of course.

What seemed to look like would be the most interesting part of the game...in theory.

The Cyber Space levels are just too shortie.

I can't really see them even becoming longer than a Forces level, the amount of them matters even less...

14 minutes ago, Voyant said:

I mean... don't get me wrong! Anyone saying they aren't reusing level ideas is blind lawl. 

And as for Mania I already said that there were complaints, but they weren't GAME ruining. It's not going to destroy the game because they exist in this format. There people trying really hard to allude to that and I'm JUST MAKING SURE that those people who are fussing about this would have made the same complaints before with Mania. If you didn't then I'm gonna take newspaper and slap back.

Mania's level design reuse isn't as blatant or cheap as Frontiers'. The original GHZ Act 1 makes up only about half of Mania's GHZ 1, and that's ignoring the underground section used for Knuckles and in Encore mode (which uses a bit of Palmtree Panic...1, I think?, but is mostly original afaik). A bit of GHZ Act 2 is used, but the end of the level and the entire upper path in the second half is new.

Frontiers will take a level from Generations, chop out half of it (including any interesting set pieces), stitch the rest back together, throw in a couple of objects, and that's it.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/22/2022 at 8:27 PM, Razule said:
On 9/22/2022 at 7:59 PM, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Perhaps a form of how warped Sonic's memories have become?

I think the plot having anything to do with characters having amnesia is debunked by now.

I didn't say straight out amnesia though.

We've already heard from the horse's mouth that the cyber levels are based off of Sonic's memories.  The glitching suggests something's hazed about them.

Though I don't recall us ever getting a strict denial of amnesia either,  to be fair.

Iizuka is also on record calling the throwbacks to past level designs "easter eggs", so you should take everything that comes out of that horses mouth with a grain of salt too.

32 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Iizuka is also on record calling the throwbacks to past level designs "easter eggs", so you should take everything that comes out of that horses mouth with a grain of salt too.

Mmmm. Nah. Iizuka is one that can be trusted. He's never really done something to the degree of blatant lies.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Mmmm. Nah. Iizuka is one that can be trusted. He's never really done something to the degree of blatant lies.

Didn't he say something about Chaos in Forces or was that SEGA the company's fault?

I don’t get how people seem to have a issue with people criticizing the cyberspace levels. It’s 1/3rd of the game, and seemingly a good portion of them are factually LESSER versions of already existing stages. Personally, I don’t see how people look at that say “that’s not a big deal” but that’s your prerogative, I’ll respect that, but when people try to paint people criticizing it as making a mountain out of a molehill, and complaining just to complain, like I see so many on Twitter do, that’s when I start to have a issue with the hyped crowd 

• Thumbs Up 2

I like the core boost gameplay, so I'll like the Cyberspace levels. I don't blame people for wanting more out of it, and I think the reuse of level themes/some level layouts is exceptionally lame as well. That said, when taken as a supplement to the rest of the game, I actually really dig them and am a bit more okay with the concessions involved in having to make them. 

• Thumbs Up 2