Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Leaks & Spoilers Thread - PLEASE READ OP

Sean

About the massive spoilers:

Spoiler

The titan fight looks absolutely spectacular to watch, but gameplay wise it seems boring, repetitive, annoying and confusing. It's possible that this game would have scared me as a kid lol, there's something unsettling about that titan and the vision of that ghost, speaking of which, it does look a lot like Chaos meets Giygas.

I wonder if that ghost thing is the famous "ghost girl" of the leaks, and if it has actually some connection with Chaos, since the similar shape.

My speculation is that the "thing" seen by Sonic is the real Sage, or at least her real soul, while the one you meet in the world is a corrupted version. The real Sage is probably stuck somewhere in cyberspace and asks help to Sonic, while the corrupted Sage is like that because of Eggman trying to take over the AI.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Video unavailable due to copyright claim from SEGA"

Whoops

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Y'all 3D Sonic likers need to stop sweating so hard about momentum, you had fun without it for this long, no need to prove it's in this game now. 

Hoping that it's in the game is one thing, trying to prove it is another. I think the latter is pointless considering the game is obviously going to fail in areas related to it, so using it as a plea to classic fans is immediately shortsighted in that regards. Ever since the boost was revealed to be closer to a sprint than not, though, I personally have had my eyes peeled for significant changes and additions to the gameplay that might be significant compared to the player behavior beforehand. I like momentum over boost; it's more fun. I want it to be in the game.

Which is why this is such a kick in the nuts for me to be baited by

b29qzHs.png

1 hour ago, mayday2592 said:

Really think that "20-30 hrs to finish the story" statement is bull at this point.

Yeah, it's starting to look more like 5 hours 

Even if the boost is a 'sprint' it still removes a lot of a need to learn the nuances of Sonic's momentum anyway. The reason they took away the hitbox was to enable the new combat system. Otherwise it still functions as the instant 'go' button that makes a more nuanced movement system redundant. 

9 minutes ago, Razule said:

You shouldn't count full on speedruns against that timer. 

Running through elden ring with a an optimization list and a strategy guide can hack that game down to a few hours. 

So is someone working on a reupload of that footage, or is it just gone? No one posted the video in here in the first place, but the vid itself was struck down by Sega lol. 

1 minute ago, azoo said:

So is someone working on a reupload of that footage, or is it just gone? No one posted the video in here in the first place, but the vid itself was struck down by Sega lol. 

This being the Internet, I'm sure someone recorded it. Give it some type.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Not really, given how you're going off of a jailbroken version of the game. And one that was speedran at that.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, NoKaine said:

That is assuming the game's structure is plainly "beat boss, move to next island", when you haven't even explored the rest of the first island. The portion with the giant portal is still locked off (since the video doesn't show any new Cyber Space levels).

It is also literally impossible to get to the Super Sonic boss and beyond in 15 minutes. The boss fight itself is 7 minutes, and that's with watching cutscenes.

People post that "6 Chaos Emeralds in 15 Minutes" video and leave out how that's 6 Emeralds across more than one playthrough, having already planned out the route, maximizing time, skipping cutscenes, etc. The actual video is 25 minutes, and that is so far the fastest, best playthrough of everything. That is a speedrun. if the game can be beaten quickly, that's good. But that's not how most people are going to play the game. 

I’ll gladly be wrong about this, since I’d love a Sonic game that takes longer than an afternoon to beat, but …

whoever’s playing this is still a first-timer playing a demo, broken or not, multiple playthroughs or not, yeah? If you can run the whole thing in 25 after, let’s say, 30-45 minutes of brushing up (2-3 rounds of the demo), that’s still only a little over an hour to beat that first island. Leaving 100% completion out of it for now, because I do feel like there’s a lot of Kronos we haven’t even seen yet. 

Let’s even be generous and say it takes 2 hours to get the emeralds and beat the Titan on Kronos and progress. Let’s be even more generous and assume that there really are 5 islands and each takes an hour longer than the previous to progress through. Even with all that, we still just barely scrape our way to 20 hours with more time than is probably needed to get there - and this is all based on conjecture, with stuff like the number of islands not even fully confirmed yet. It’s just not sounding like it’s as long as it was touted to be. This game has been really surprising at showing off hidden depth and new content, even at this stage, so again, I’ll gladly take the L about this if Frontiers drops and somehow has a 30+ hour campaign on November 8th - but that video isn’t helping that hope tbh

• Thumbs Up 1

The playthroughs, even the one of the Super Sonic boss, is playing the game super quickly and really optimally. The players didn't just happen to come across the Emeralds and got them, several players shared notes and details and eventually compiled an excellent of the playthrough. They skipped cutscenes, completed every single objective in the Cyber Space stages, found all the biggest caches of the Memory Tokens, and only played enough to get the Emeralds and beat the side quests.

That is not what the average player will do. The average player will run around to find as many things as they can, find all the Cyber Space portals, collect all the items, play and replay Cyber Space--that will easily run over two, maybe three hours for regular people.

IGN played the game for four hours and still missed 2/7 Cyber Space portals.

And it's silly to say that it is a problem that a Sonic game can be beaten quickly if you play it optimally, that's... exactly what a Sonic game should be. I should be able to beat it if a few hours if I know exactly what I'm doing, especially if it's a game about freedom of movement and choice. 

You can beat Breath of the Wild in a hour, even without glitches, if you know exactly what you are doing. But it will take dozens of hours to actually play through the game for 99% of players.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Nuggets said:

It’s just not sounding like it’s as long as it was touted to be. 

I doubt that when he made that projection, he was talking about someone who was singularly concerned with clearing the story as fast as humanly possible.

Skyrim isn't a 100 hour game if all you do is blitz the main quest line. Elden ring won't last 5 hours if you know where the best busted weapons are, and farm bosses that can be cheesed and can't fight back. No game short of Tetris stands up to speedrunning.

• Thumbs Up 1

Spoiler

I’m amazed. That boss fight looked like dogshit. I’m not doing five of those. That guaranteed me not paying a penny for this game lmao. Pass.

Sonic fans tend to assume a lot.

Remember when Sonic fans assumed Frontiers would be bad solely because Sonic's model was the same as in Forces (and that they also assumed that the animations wouldn't change because they think model = animation quality)?

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Why are we assuming the length of a game that none of us have played yet?

Because people tend to be trigger happy with their assumptions.

Also, people failing to realize that when the average runtime of this game was given, stuff like jailbreaking a demo, or speed running obviously weren't taken into account.

Never mind the fact that none of us even truly know the context of those bits of gameplay shown either. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Also keep in mind, this is still a demo. Do we know how old this build is? For all we know, ST has since added more stuff to fluff out kronos and the emeralds being this easy to get was just to make the demo make it more clear that X gets you an emerald, when in the main game you may be expected to do a bit more for the same result.

This is a demo after all. The entire point of it is to show what the game is like, what to expect, and how everything works within the span of 15 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if this demo is a bit more barebones just so they can actually accomplish all of that.

• Thumbs Up 1

The titan fight looks really repetitive, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with Sonic's combat skill being level 1, and thus maybe not doing much damage.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm actually entirely sure that the demo is straight up the final build of the game. Too many things in it not to be.

One person at EGX said that they saw its build version and that it was dated in June, so this is the same demo played in SGF, and probably the last version of the game before Sonic Team started the debugging process.

So things like item amount or structure can change, though nothing exceptionally new will be added.

26 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

You can beat Breath of the Wild in a hour, even without glitches, if you know exactly what you are doing. But it will take dozens of hours to actually play through the game for 99% of players.

I guess the underlying point that I wanted to make that might’ve gotten lost in everything else is that the people playing this aren’t exactly speedrunners. They’re people who got a little extra time with a demo. 

Like yeah, you can beat Ganon as soon as BotW opens up. But if it’s your first time ever, you won’t. You never will. You probably won’t even make it to Hyrule Castle, let alone through it, with three hearts and the hardest enemies in the game that can OHKO you running around. You and I both know that people that have gotten speedrunning down - dudes that can beat games like Sunshine in less than 2 hours - had to figure out how to do that, how to make the game’s physics work in ways they normally don’t - people who are dedicated to experimentation like that have far more than 2 hours logged on the game. These guys came in and did it almost instantly. Meanwhile, you’ll never find anyone beating Ganon or even Zora’s Domain in sub 30 minutes on their first try after less than an hour with the game. 

Its not a big deal. And they could add more stuff! I very easily could be wrong and I really hope I am lmao.  It’s just kind of worrying that some regular dudes who spent maybe an extra hour with a slightly fucky copy of the demo were able to blow through that much content that quick for a game that has been advertised as being long and complex. You can call that “trigger happy” or whatever you’d like, but it feels reasonable to me 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

The titan fight looks really repetitive, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with Sonic's combat skill being level 1, and thus maybe not doing much damage.

Yeah, I just realized that the stats and stuff are still there too. They're disabled in Cyber Space, so they probably still have an effect for Super Sonic.

3 minutes ago, Nuggets said:

I guess the underlying point that I wanted to make that might’ve gotten lost in everything else is that the people playing this aren’t exactly speedrunners.

Yes they are. They are explicitly speedrunning the game. The people who played in the "6 Chaos Emeralds in 15 Minutes" video were speedrunning the game. The description of the video even explains the best known way to get all the emeralds. It was a speedrun. The people who are leaking the boss are also speedrunning the game--they didn't even level Sonic up. 

They are not playing the game normally, they were explicitly trying to see how far and how much they can get in 15 minutes--and in the latter's case, it is impossible for them to do all seven stages and the boss and all the things they would have had to do in the Open Zone in 15 minutes.

1 minute ago, LegoFedora said:

This is a demo after all. The entire point of it is to show what the game is like, what to expect, and how everything works within the span of 15 minutes. I wouldn't be surprised if this demo is a bit more barebones just so they can actually accomplish all of that.

This is precisely why we shouldn't expect the demo to differ much from the final game, especially considering that we are just over a month from release.

I'm not worried that Frontiers is going to be a 5 hour game or anything, but the 20-30 hours figure Kishimoto (I think) was pushing earlier always struck me as unlikely given how much trouble Sonic Team has had producing an ample amount of content in literally every single 3D Sonic game so far. My personal expectations are that Frontiers will take somewhere in the 15~ hour range for most players to beat the first time - decidedly longer than previous Sonic games, as that is clearly one of Sonic Team's goals with this game, but not quite matching the expectations they have sold us on.

• Thumbs Up 2