Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

2 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Don't think there's anything new, but it's nice to see more coverage

Man fuck this, they called Heroes bad.

I wanna say it is, but I can't because I've never played it, so moving along...

Why are there lists to begin with?

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Don't think there's anything new, but it's nice to see more coverage

Must play to get in the mood for Frontiers:

-Sonic Origins

-Sonic Colors

-Sonic Mania

-Sonic Generations

-Sonic Adve... they choose the wrong game, it's supposed to be Sonic Adventure 2!

Also I don't understand why Forces is in the bad games, it has Green Hill too; I can understand Sonic 4 because Splash Hill is not actual Green Hill, in fact they said you better play the original.

(ok I'm not serious, it's a joke).

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

Forces is bland, all the levels are less than 2 minutes long and the story wasn't good. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/28/2022 at 7:36 PM, Jango said:

Man fuck this, they called Heroes bad.

Well no wonder they said it was bad, they specifically referenced that it was the PS2 version.

Spoiler

it definitely has some issues they brought up that I totally agree with.

Sonic Adventure DX good

Yes.

Sonic Unleashed bad

...NO.

Anyway, as I look at this and see just the same crap they've showed off again and again, it's finally hit me: Tails and the others are little more than hedgehog bait. AGAIN. Christ, how do they keep messing this simple request up?!?!?

Spoiler

Yes, yes, I might be overreacting. But think about it: if they were at all significant to the plot, Sega would have revealed them by now. The fact that we haven't even seen proof that they exist makes me think that they'll just be in the opening, and in the ending. That's it. I hope and PRAY to God that I'm wrong... but it's the Sonic Forces guys. Something tells me I'm bang-on here, and that PISSES ME OFF. 

• Absolutely 1

3 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Anyway, as I look at this and see just the same crap they've showed off again and again, it's finally hit me: Tails and the others are little more than hedgehog bait. AGAIN. Christ, how do they keep messing this simple request up?!?!?

Hide contents

Yes, yes, I might be overreacting. But think about it: if they were at all significant to the plot, Sega would have revealed them by now. The fact that we haven't even seen proof that they exist makes me think that they'll just be in the opening, and in the ending. That's it. I hope and PRAY to God that I'm wrong... but it's the Sonic Forces guys. Something tells me I'm bang-on here, and that PISSES ME OFF. 

You're not alone. The whole "Sonic only because he has to save his friends" BS is getting old. Generations and Lost World have already done this. It just feels like a lazy way to not make his friends playable by writing them out of the story!"

• Thumbs Up 2

51 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

As rich as this is coming from me, I think y'all are overreacting over nothing.

Yeah, You're probably right. I think Ian Flynn mentioned something about Amy (and possibly Sonic's other friends) being important to the story at least.

• Thumbs Up 3

9 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Yes.

...NO.

Hide contents

We've seen like the same two hours on repeat and we know Tails isn't on the first island. I don't think we know...anything about how significant anyone is right now, really.

Granted, if you're expecting him to be playable, you'll probably be disappointed, but we don't know much beyond that.

• Thumbs Up 8

10 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Yes, yes, I might be overreacting. But think about it: if they were at all significant to the plot, Sega would have revealed them by now.

Sage is significant to the plot, we didn't see her until about a month after the game's reveal, same for the cyberspace, and even then it's just a glimpse for both. Eggman is important to the plot, we haven't seen him yet, Super Sonic is the main objective to complete all the stuff in the islands to fight the boss, we haven't seen him yet, we haven't seen new biomes, islands or anything beyond the same thing from reveal.

Yes, you're overreacting, ''Sega would have revealed them by now if they were important'' isn't a good logic to go by when we pretty much all agree the info release for this game has been so atrocious half the fanbase is relying more on 4chan leaks with 0 validity to get a good picture of the game than the actual people making the game. 

• Thumbs Up 7

The colors in Sonic Frontiers remind me a lot of Sonic and the Black knight in a sense. Sure that's because the color palette of the Wii wasn't great, but the more washed-out feel generates a sense of melancholy. Another game that used this was The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess, especially during the Midna's lament section with the rainfall.

If Frontiers decides to tell a melancholic story then that's a color palette to use with it. Sure it's not the vibrant colors we've come to enjoy with sonic and sure doesn't jive with his endlessly optimistic attitude, but how much do we really know about the actual tone of the story?

On 7/25/2022 at 9:26 PM, The Deleter said:

On the contrary, it would be awesome to see the islands look more and more vibrant the more the story gets cleared up. It would also give you a sense of progression as the more and more the melancholic story brightens up; the more bright the outlook becomes of sonic reuniting with his friends and collecting the chaos emeralds. Remember the chaos emeralds react to people's emotions so if they are on an island that's in a depressed state and the emeralds react to that sentiment it could reflect in the island looking de-saturated in greens.

As Sonic's force for optimism interacts with the chaos emeralds the island (sections) could get their luster back.

Just an idea I thought I'd spitball.

On 7/25/2022 at 5:39 PM, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

As a side note I'd absolutely love to get the skills to make renders like that (in both cases), because that looks STUNNING.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

As rich as this is coming from me, I think y'all are overreacting over nothing.

True. Just hard not to lose hope with how God-awful the marketing has been so far.

Ah well. There's always mods, and I'm confident that the movies will bring him back to where he belongs at some point. Just sad that it isn't THIS game, that's all.

• Thumbs Up 1

i am not sure this will happen; but,

if there are options to fine tune Sonic's movements then there may also be an option to play through each zone without pads, rails, and springs!!   that option is already partially there by being able to move around them, but, i think it might be something that will make sense!!

There's no real interesting level design to be found in the terrain so I'm not sure what gameplay there even is without the rails and the springs. It would just leave the combat which they seem to be trying to make as optional as possible by their own admission.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe I don't know enough about what happened after colors, but have we all become so skeptical about a new Sonic game?

These reactions feel like we're already selling the game short for what it could potentially be.

53 minutes ago, Duelistic Nature said:

Maybe I don't know enough about what happened after colors, but have we all become so skeptical about a new Sonic game?

These reactions feel like we're already selling the game short for what it could potentially be.

I think a lot of what we have been told about Frontiers' narrative and open world zone environments sounds cool and full of potential but what we've actually seen of the game is deeply uninspiring. The past quarter of a century of Sonic's history is enough to dampen enthusiasm for a new game; if I'm going to get excited for Frontiers I'm going to have to actually see something exciting.

• Thumbs Up 2

53 minutes ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

I think a lot of what we have been told about Frontiers' narrative and open world zone environments sounds cool and full of potential but what we've actually seen of the game is deeply uninspiring. The past quarter of a century of Sonic's history is enough to dampen enthusiasm for a new game; if I'm going to get excited for Frontiers I'm going to have to actually see something exciting.

Granted I looked at the marketing for Frontiers and I have played sonic Forces. Both of which don't excite any sane Sonic fan for what could be coming. It does look better than the absolute linearity Forces gave us, putting the cyberspace notion aside for a second.

Besides, most of us experienced the, if not aftershock of the bombing which was Sonic '06. Afterwards we got back up with Unleashed and Colors. With that in mind I'd like to stay cautiously optimistic about Frontiers.

Though I am curious: what parts of what we've seen feels uninspiring?

Edited by Duelistic Nature

54 minutes ago, Duelistic Nature said:

Though I am curious: what parts of what we've seen feels uninspiring?

Well, the entirety of the combat, for one. Nothing looks engaging, and the fact they seem to be doing everything they can to make it optional doesn't spark much hope. Why even have combat if there's no real point?

Not even mentioning how uninspired the overall open world feels. It just feels so...nothing? It's not really a frustrating type of bland, just a disappointing type.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Well, the entirety of the combat, for one. Nothing looks engaging, and the fact they seem to be doing everything they can to make it optional doesn't spark much hope. Why even have combat if there's no real point?

Not even mentioning how uninspired the overall open world feels. It just feels so...nothing? It's not really a frustrating type of bland, just a disappointing type.

Interesting. What would you consider engaging combat then? I'm not here to psycho-analyse everything you say, but I am genuinely curious what you'd consider engaging combat for a Sonic game, a franchise, I feel, is designed around speed.

Something like Sonic Heroes? Maybe something like '06? Maybe sonic battle? Or sonic and the black knight although there wasn't much flavour other than buzzsawing through hordes of enemies.

Does the open world feel empty? Or is the regular green field/ forest view bland and seen a few too many times? Maybe it's also the underlying music in the trailer that sells the island off as being empty?

• Thumbs Up 1