Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

Fingers crossed this is a proper trailer that provides a decently wide variety of gameplay and a proper look at the story too.  I appreciate regular gameplay, but seeing curated footage to get a better picture of what's what would be nice.

• Thumbs Up 2

Since the game is going to be demoing publicly around the same time I expect we'll get something of an overview trailer this time.

I'm personally still expecting to only see gameplay from the first island but we'll probably finally get a proper look at some Cyberspace gameplay as well as some story content.

I think it's likely we'll also get a release date and an announcement of some sort of pre-order scheme. If they're doing a collector's edition for the game I think that'll get announced with the release info.

• Thumbs Up 2

I want to see more of the game, but I want to see it properly now. So far, SEGA have onlydelivered to us a gameplay teaser, ugly B-roll footage through an IGN exclusive showcase that intentionally doesn't represent the game as a whole and then closest thing that we've had to a real trailer was the Nintendo Direct footage. It's been an absolute joke.

SEGA need to put out a full length trailer, some quality B-roll that shows the game being played well between all of its facets (including exploration, combat, puzzles, cyberspace and even a cutscene or two) and they need to allow people to record footage at events. For the any footage that SEGA produce themselves, holy fuck it needs to be in the highest quality possible. YouTube compression is one thing, but actually finding footage that does the visuals of Frontiers any justice is way more difficult that it should be. Frontiers actually looks rather nice when it isn't at sub-720p and littered with compression artifacts. You'll be hard pressed to find footage like that however.

What SEGA have put out to date is a piss-poor show. It's not clear how the game plays or what players can even expect. They need to fix that fast. Frontiers is at risk of being swept under the carpet and ignored (as if it hasn't been already) because the marketing has been pathetic. I know that's kind of become a buzz phrase in the community, but it's true. Whoever is in charge of marketing Frontiers, and Sonic games in general TBH, needs to get their arse into gear.

• Thumbs Up 8

4 months until release, yeah I reckon it's about time we get a proper-length trailer to look at. Frontiers being at risk of being swept under the carpet? by who though? I figured only the Sonic community is really keyed in on getting a hand on Frontiers. Is this game really being marketed to the people starting fresh out of the gate?  Huh... gives me an idea for a chit-chat topic.

Although if people really liked Breath of the Wild or Elden Ring and look for something more colorful or stylized then maybe they'd give it for a spin if that's really their vibe.

4 hours ago, SanPolo4389 said:

Seems we're getting more news on Frontiers at gamescom.

Oh nice! I hope I can try it out. 😄

5 hours ago, SanPolo4389 said:

Seems we're getting more news on Frontiers at gamescom.

August 23 is my birthday so hopefully this will be a good present… hopefully… XD

• Thumbs Up 1

I dunno why you guys all want a story trailer. Flynn being so heavily involved means I don't need to see it till I play the game. What they need is a trailer that showcases the overall gameplay loop: exploration, combat, boss battles against titans, cyberspace gameplay (more than a 3 seconds snippet) that ends on a Super Sonic boss fight set to awesome music. A good meaty 3 minutes trailer. Don't waste it on story, the one aspect of the game we're confident about. Ah, I'd also like them to flash us another island at least but I don't expect them to. 

Why can't we get a trailer that has story and gameplay? Kill two birds with one stone, I say.

• Thumbs Up 2

Most of all I hope for is to see a full cyberspace stage from beginning to end,and while I doubt they will show another Island, at the very least a screenshot of the second island would be nice,

• Thumbs Up 1

We already assumed so but the official twitter confirms it's a new trailer we're getting at Gamescom:

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, PickleBrows said:

We already assumed so but the official twitter confirms it's a new trailer we're getting at Gamescom:

Jesus finally. This better not be more recycled footage, Sonic. I'll find you. And I'll kill you.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Jesus finally. This better not be more recycled footage, Sonic. I'll find you. And I'll kill you.

Sorry, I already made reservations. You have to kill someone else. I heard a Mr. "Bubsy" has his reservations open.

• Thumbs Up 2

I really hope the new areas they show off look interesting because what they showed us before didn't really look that good imo. 

em·pa·thy

/ˈempəTHē/

noun

the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Uh....huh. I admire the goal, but that's not likely to happen. This isn't SEGA's fault or anything, it's just a people thing.

While I'm here, I hope people aren't expecting delays or anything, because they aren't gonna delay Frontiers. Not surprising, their confidence is admirable. 

• Thumbs Up 2

There's nothing wrong with Frontiers (that we have seen) that would be fixed by a delay anyway. The game, by most if not all accounts, plays well. Whatever problems Frontiers has and will have come down to conscious design decisions Sonic Team made years ago, and could only be "fixed" by making a brand new, completely different game.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'm going to say I'm a little tired of the way companies frame their speeches.

To quote: "within the communication with users, we intend to reflect the parts that can be reflected within the development timeliness and to build empathy with the users"

What are they even saying here? If I might try a translation, correct me if I'm wrong: 

"We'll share with the end users the information that we can share within our deadline and to share/ build understanding with said users. "

It's like I'm listening to politicians rather than a person trying to sell something. Saying they are PR managers/ community managers doesn't help the case either, because often times those people talk just as vague to placate people.

• Thumbs Up 1

This information is being posted in Japanese. The wording is probably just because of a clunky translation 

• Thumbs Up 2

That's fair. Sorry, I jumped to a conclusion. After looking it up I found out SEGA Sammy Holdings (Sammy Holdings could have been a person's name to be honest) is a Japanese IP holding company. It still doesn't help me understand their point any easier though. If the goal is to create empathy I would like it if I could understand them better.

Learning Japanese?

• Thumbs Up 1

I know this isn't related to the Sammy stuff, but is there a chance Crush 40 could do their own version of the main theme like they did with other Sonic themes not sung by them during the late 2000's-early 2010s? Like I was expecting them to make a permanent comeback to the franchise after Team Sonic Racing, but I'm disappointed to hear that the main theme may be sung by someone else.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, The Great Egg Emperor said:

Ideally, I would want Grey Deslile-Griffin to voice her

This is a super-specific and unrelatable thing to make me laugh, but it's funny to read this when I already made an image a while back combining SAGE with a completely-unrelated character, who people coincidentally also constantly wish to see Grey Delisle voicing:

I think people just tend see any character that mildly resembles Mandy (of The Grim Adventures of...) and instantly shout "GET DELISLE-GRIFFIN ON THE PHONE RIGHT NOW".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

With Gamescom starting next Tuesday, do you think the Frontiers trailer will show off some story? Maybe more Cyberspace stages?

9 minutes ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

With Gamescom starting next Tuesday, do you think the Frontiers trailer will show off some story? Maybe more Cyberspace stages?

Probably a little bit more of everything from story to characters to gameplay and whatnot.

• Thumbs Up 3