Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

I really REALLY like that bright saturated green mixed with Sonic's blue. Reminds me a bit of early Unleashed renders actually. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Wow I love that saturation of the Starfall Islands. Wonder what it would look like in-game if they dialed up the saturation like that. Much more "Sonic-y" and not so generic-Unreal-demo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wish the game had that bright, eye catching saturation to be honest...while I really do admire the more "life like" settings and what not, just a bit more saturation could make it pop out more. 

Besides that I really dig the art a ton, very cool and dynamic

• Thumbs Up 2

I honestly think that render looks too good and dynamic to be official. If it's actually official, I'm glad they stepped up their game because god damn it looks awesome. I'd be happy with that as the box art.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's really excellent art. It doesn't capture the mysterious, sombre tone that Frontiers is going for at all, but entirely as an independent piece it looks great. The colours are rich, Sonic's pose is actually dynamic instead of stiff and awkward like it usually is and the depiction of the environment includes so many elements that capture your gaze.

But yeah, it's very much at thematic odds with everything we've seen of Frontiers so far. It doesn't match the tone of the game whatsoever. And that's a weird juxtaposition really. The tone of Frontiers is completely alien to Sonic but totally run of the mill for "epic" open world games. And this new artwork looks like a regular Sonic game instead of open world gameplay reboot. I think it kind of speaks to Frontiers problems. 

• Thumbs Up 7

I can't help but wonder if this is what they're working towards in the final build.

We've already seen drastic leaps between different builds in looks, so this being the end result, wouldn't really surprise me at this point, given this game's bizarre marketing approach. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I dunno what to tell you guys, an entire game that's as saturated as that art would be overkill. Your screen would just be awash with neon green the whole time, it's literally brighter colors than any other 3D Sonic game.

Maybe it's just because I have been awake for eighteen hours and am looking at my phone in bed, but it'd be too much for me for a whole game.

• Thumbs Up 4

14 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I dunno what to tell you guys, an entire game that's as saturated as that art would be overkill. Your screen would just be awash with neon green the whole time, it's literally brighter colors than any other 3D Sonic game.

Maybe it's just because I have been awake for eighteen hours and am looking at my phone in bed, but it'd be too much for me for a whole game.

It definitely looks like a piece of art to promote a game, rather than an art direction of an actual game. 

18 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I can't help but wonder if this is what they're working towards in the final build.

We've already seen drastic leaps between different builds in looks, so this being the end result, wouldn't really surprise me at this point, given this game's bizarre marketing approach. 

No, dude. This is a huge leap. Be realistic. Different stages of this game's development don't look this drastically different. The final game will look almost exactly the same as what we've seen so far. They couldn't change the game that much more even if they wanted to (and they wouldn't want to because its a totally different look). 

16 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

but it'd be too much for me for a whole game.

Eh, you would get more of a diverse color palette if the other islands carry different biomes. Snow and Lava islands would wash that green away real quick.

Doubly so if the game encourages or bounces you between islands a few times, rather then leaving you to 100% one place before moving onto the next.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

That's really excellent art. It doesn't capture the mysterious, sombre tone that Frontiers is going for at all, but entirely as an independent piece it looks great. The colours are rich, Sonic's pose is actually dynamic instead of stiff and awkward like it usually is and the depiction of the environment includes so many elements that capture your gaze.

But yeah, it's very much at thematic odds with everything we've seen of Frontiers so far. It doesn't match the tone of the game whatsoever. And that's a weird juxtaposition really. The tone of Frontiers is completely alien to Sonic but totally run of the mill for "epic" open world games. And this new artwork looks like a regular Sonic game instead of open world gameplay reboot. I think it kind of speaks to Frontiers problems. 

You think it should stick with one tone or the other?

50 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

You think it should stick with one tone or the other?

What I'm saying is that Frontiers looks relatively uninteresting and unoriginal as far as open world games go, and also pretty jarring for a Sonic game at the same time. I'm not saying that Sonic should stick squarely with any one style, but a single game should stick to one style. And Frontiers has stuck entirely to that one style, apart from this piece of art which sticks out because it doesn't match everything else. 

14 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

What I'm saying is that Frontiers looks relatively uninteresting and unoriginal as far as open world games go, and also pretty jarring for a Sonic game at the same time. I'm not saying that Sonic should stick squarely with any one style, but a single game should stick to one style. And Frontiers has stuck entirely to that one style, artist from this piece of art which sticks out because it doesn't match everything else. 

I'm kind of split because I feel like I'd rather it resemble something Sonic more than it resembling a generic open world game. 

• Thumbs Up 2

21 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm kind of split because I feel like I'd rather it resemble something Sonic more than it resembling a generic open world game. 

Yeah, I agree. I'm all for seeing more realistic looking Sonic games. Frontiers just veers a bit too far and looks generic. But if the game simply oversatured its colours ala this art, it wouldn't look good. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Heh. I dig the new render. 

Huh, it's so good I thought this was a fan-made render.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know what, this honestly reminds me more of the Archie renders they would do at times. I loved those covers. 

Honestly, this would make pretty good cover art. 

• Thumbs Up 3

That's an amazing render! I like how the colors and vibe of this one juxtapose the more serious and mysterious vibe of the render we got back last month. I think the saturation in this render works pretty well even if it's not necessarily representative of the game's overall vibe, I think it's a good way to communicate how Sonic himself might view the world as a new challenge and opportunity for fun, though that could just be spitballing.

Either way, amazing stuff. Sega's stepped up their game considerably for the Frontiers renders compared to past games, hope this keeps up.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

We already know what the game is intended to look like from the concept art

obviously the more photo realistic textures and models don’t line up with the art, but the washed out color pallet and tone of the overworld definitely does. I wouldn’t expect a tonal shift for the game considering how centric it has been to the marketing so far.

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Huh, it's so good I thought this was a fan-made render.

No joke this is exactly what I thought when I glanced at it and isn’t that kinda sad? Like in most other big gaming franchises saying “this looks fan made” would be taken as a negative comment but Sonic’s official render work has been so bad my immediate thought was “looks colorful dynamic and has personality so this is probably fan made”

Ultimately I’m definitely glad it’s official obviously, I just hope that means the team that makes the official renders finally got the memo 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

There's a Chaos Emerald vault on top of that floating pyramid. It seems like you have to do some interaction with the open world in order to make a path to get to the top.

The new render looks really pretty. The colors really pop out well and remind me the Sonic Colors aesthetic. I hope the box art is really eye catching too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'd be at least 15% more excited for Frontiers if the game looked more like that render than it actually does. Not exactly like the render, because that level of intense saturation would get old quickly, but I do not like the washed out look that Frontiers does have at all.

Honestly, the saturation of that art reminds me of Windmill Isle, I think that look could have been a good middle ground between the new arts aesthetic and what the games actually going for. The greenery and color you see in windmill isle isn’t too vibrant, but also doesn’t look as realistic and “drab” as people see current frontiers look

B7F7FFC8-26BE-4BD8-B821-3ABE97038EC9.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 3

That looks like a Nibrock, Niborock... Ni-something-rock, I forgot his name, render. Or a Rafa Knight one.