Awoo.

Sonic Origins | MT | General Discussion

Ryannumber1gamer
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

PSA: This topic is now exclusively for the general discussion of Sonic Origins.

Any new information or announcements surrounding this game (new patches, substantial comments from developers etc) need to be made in a new, separate topic.

4 hours ago, PSI Wind said:

Sonic CDs OST isn't in the Origins options menu, but rather the CD option. The NA is also the default one so if you want to change it before playing Story Mode, enter any option of CD (Anniversary or Classic), go to Soundtrack on the title screen, change to JP, then quit out of CD

Man, this is a really strange decision to be honest.  Like, I see the logic in defaulting to the soundtrack that region grew up with, but after Generations created both a JP and US remix but defaulted to the JP one in all regions, and Mania only opted to adapt the JP soundtrack, you'd think they'd want the "players who don't care one way or another" to be defaulted to the more popular and/or original developer-intended version of the soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if that's region specific? Like based on the region/storefront it's purchased from will it have the proper covers and soundtrack etc by default. I imagine Japan would have it on Japanese/European soundtrack by default surely. If so then the European/Aussie/NZ release should default to European/Japanese too.

I wish Sonic Origins had a "lock-on" feature where, if the game detects Sonic Mania is installed alongside it, lets you extend Story Mode by letting you load into Sonic Mania's campaign after completing the main story complete with extra cutscenes. I would have actually gotten the game day one if something like that were a thing.

That is probably WAY too complicated to get working, though, I can appreciate that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't know if it's just in Story Mode but Sonic doesn't make his little "Yes!" In Sonic CD nor does Amy make the little squeek when she gets kidnapped by Metal Sonic. Hoping it's not removed due to being voiced by previous staff members etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, Zaysho said:

Just as a reminder music/leak discussions are best kept to the spoiler topic

With all due respect does music really count as a spoiler? I thought that spoilers only applies to things such as story.

1 minute ago, Vampfox said:

With all due respect does music really count as a spoiler? I thought that spoilers only applies to things such as story.

When I made that post stuff like that was already put into its own topic yesterday. I'm personally not too fussed about it but some might not have wanted that info ahead of the game's release (even if it's just some screw up because of pre-loading, game technically wasn't out) so I made note of it for their sake since we had the topic for it already. Probably doesn't really matter now that the game's in more people's hands.

Anybody worked out how to change the box art on the menu screen yet? Want to shift it from us to EU/ Jap but i cant seem to find a settings option to do it

Just a heads up. The game has some minor and major faults on launch, still not fixed 9+ hours after launch.

Minor;

On Switch, those using a Mega Drive controller will be unable to use Super Sonic, as X has not been mapped to anything on that controller. Use a regular Joycon or Pro Controller until this is fixed.

Major;

On Xbox, the games achievements are completely broken and inoperable. I actually got an achievement, but the game is still missing from my games list and the in-game achievements menu states "Achievements Aren't Supported". I've both deleted my save and the game, reinstalled the game and started again, same issue. Other Sonic fans on Xbox have had the exact same issue. Achievement aggregator sites like trueachievements also show zero achievements for the game - like a failure to update/upload them to Xbox's achievements server. Attached is an image from my friend as reference.

FB_IMG_1655967861892.jpg

God Sega just really wants to fucking bury the Saturn version of 3D Blast huh. The soundtrack's not even included here whereas the inferior Genesis version is. Also, so many tracks in the music gallery are mislabeled what is this

Anyway the collection's pretty good so far. Just finished Sonic 1 in story mode with all emeralds (didn't even have to use the retry option this time, I got lucky with SS3 and got the emerald relatively quickly), will pick up again tomorrow for CD next.

Fuck the drop dash btw, there's this annoying control lock when you try jumping from it sort of like jumping from a roll. I barely used it during the game as a result, it just feels extremely bad to use

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/22/2022 at 7:12 AM, JezMM said:

Man, this is a really strange decision to be honest.  Like, I see the logic in defaulting to the soundtrack that region grew up with, but after Generations created both a JP and US remix but defaulted to the JP one in all regions, and Mania only opted to adapt the JP soundtrack, you'd think they'd want the "players who don't care one way or another" to be defaulted to the more popular and/or original developer-intended version of the soundtrack.

I was perplexed as to why the TSS review didn't mention the low effort of these transfers. Excluding S3&K, which is the only new production, the other 3 already existed in their complete form.

Sonic 1 & 2 were stupidly locked to mobile only for a decade, and this is still seen by the glitch in Sonic 2 where Tails takes on Super Sonic's jump height and speed (even after Sonic reverts back to regular Sonic).

Sonic CD is missing Knuckles and has a janky implementation of the drop dash because they didn't want to mess with an already completed game. It's also why the ost is inside SCD and not in the Origins menu. This is the exact same SCD from the PS3 and Xbox 360 (the 360 version being 100% backwards compatible with the XOne and Series btw) with only the drop dash being added. That's why there's no Knuckles, that's why the drop dash is pasted in badly and that's why it includes its own internal menus as if it were a standalone title.

All that would be forgivable if it came out of the gate working. But the Switch version isn't fully compatible with the Mega Drive/Genesis controller and the Xbox version has broken achievements that technically don't exist. Be interesting to hear how they broke the PlayStation versions.

I just wish someone would acknowledge the faults in broken functions and say they're being fixed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just booted the game up on Switch (handheld mode) and is it just me or is the general audio level overall rather quiet? I’ve turned the console volume way up to get a decent volume level, but it’s still fairly quiet compared to, say, Animal Crossing where if I have the volume on the same high setting it’s much, much louder. 

• Absolutely 1

12 hours in and the game is still broken on Xbox. No news sites have reported it (although trueachievements now have a thread full of people with the same issue), Sega and Microsoft still silent.

First preorder I've done in ages, there's no excuse for a relatively lazy compilation to release broken. Very very disappointed.

2 hours ago, Roareye Black said:

12 hours in and the game is still broken on Xbox. No news sites have reported it (although trueachievements now have a thread full of people with the same issue), Sega and Microsoft still silent.

First preorder I've done in ages, there's no excuse for a relatively lazy compilation to release broken. Very very disappointed.

The Xbox version is so weird, mine kept freezing when I tried to get past the title screen and even a fresh reinstall didn't fix it. Once it finally did work, there were other small problems. Using a drop dash in sonic 1 has a weird high pitched squeaking sound after it, as well as the menus/loading screens just being weirdly laggy.

The game not showing up on profiles and achievements not counting (although achievable) is weird. Really hoping sega updates this game and doesn't just leave it as is.

4 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Fuckin' what

why would you do it like that?

I've now double checked... and (apart from Sonic 3&K I think)... they do this in the other games as well. The move itself and movement that comes around it though - I have had no real issues with and Sonic is controllable. 

Personally - I do think this is actually quite a funny & creative solution in a sense seeing as they obviously couldn't just remove the frame for whatever reason. The drop dash is still an unnecessary (and untoggleable?) addition to add. it's fun, but unlike adding the spindash to Sonic 1 it isn't a game changer.

1 hour ago, LegoFedora said:

Wait, so is sega able to use MJ music after all or what?

1655988571630.jpg

He left SEGA over 10 years ago. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Sega didn't fix the issue with CD where time traveling above the 5 minute mark doesn't reset your clock to 5'00"00 😐

If they based CD off the console/Steam version and not the mobile port then I will fucking LOSE IT

1 hour ago, LegoFedora said:

Wait, so is sega able to use MJ music after all or what?

1655988571630.jpg

He's referring to this LMFAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Chuckle 3

3 minutes ago, Sean said:

If they based CD off the console/Steam version and not the mobile port then I will fucking LOSE IT

Well I'm afraid I got some bad news...

1 minute ago, Ming Ming Hatsune said:

Well I'm afraid I got some bad news...

Oh fucking hell if Sega didn't fix the time travel conveyor belt glitch in QQZ I will stop playing Sonic games for the rest of my life

• Chuckle 1

2 minutes ago, Sean said:

Oh fucking hell if Sega didn't fix the time travel conveyor belt glitch in QQZ I will stop playing Sonic games for the rest of my life

Well, it's been great knowing you. XD Might as well hand in that SSMB Staff badge now...

It's literally the exact same game as the Xbox 360/PS3 release. The only modification has been the implementation of the drop dash - that's it. I can play both on my Xbox One right now, and they're identical.

• Too Many Rings 1

6 hours ago, Jake_LeOFFICIAL said:

Fuckin' what

why would you do it like that?

Amusingly, I had tried this myself a few hours before that tweet was posted to see how it would work with time travel.

I was not disappointed. lol

• Thumbs Up 6

Man am I glad I didn't pre-ordered this game. It's even more overly priced here than anywhere else too. I'm happy I got TMNT this month instead. Major respect to the Headcannon team, but SEGA fucking sucks man.