Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

Sure, the starters were pretty good. But something about crap like Luvdisc just really pissed me off. Salamence and Metagross, however, were solid. I liked those two.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

pfft..

Kangaskhan was a stupid Pokemon, so was Mr. Mime, etc. Each generation had stupid Pokemon.

I guess I just figured a Pokemon that looked like a heart/ass was just too bad. I really can't explain why most of the 3rd gen Pokemon didn't appeal to me. I think the 4th generation ones are fine, though.

For some reason, the 3rd Generation games seems a tad bland and forgetaful when compared to others. Not sure why, but it would seem like that for me. (Kinda applies with the cartoon series as well. But I've only seen bits and pieces of it). At least the Battle Frontier in Emerald was something.

Also, Wobbufett's ability is only nulled if both Pokemon have the ability. But if it were the final two Pokemon, you'd have to wait till they both use struggle.

On a side note, there seems to be a tournament announced for the UK here in Manchester in some HMV stores around the Summer Time (and possibly in London, too). Pokemon Platinum plus specific bred Pokemon and in-game items seems to be the prizes. Otherwise, that's all that's mentioned. Guessing by how far away Manchester is, I see an unlikelyhood of going. Same with winning, unless it's mostly kids, that is.

I've been playing Platinum for the past week or so, it's the most fun I've had with a DS game for a long time! It really hasn't changed much from Red and Blue, has it? Still, great fun and the real time day and night system reminds me of countless hours spent playing Silver. I only know a select few of these new Pokemon from my girlfriend telling me what they are, she's still a massive fan, although I'm afraid I stopped knowing them all off-by-heart when it started to get past 151. Some of the new designs are horrible, like that bloody rock Pokemon with a red nose, what is that?

I never played Pearl or Diamond though, so right now I'm having massive fun with Platinum. Hopefully I'll make it to the end, I chose to start off with Piplup with this one, though I still miss Charmander and Squirtle. =(

I miss both R/B/Y starters and G/S/C starters... They're a lot better what current starters we have now....

I mean flaming chickens and metal penguins! WTF!

I miss both R/B/Y starters and G/S/C starters... They're a lot better what current starters we have now....

I mean flaming chickens and metal penguins! WTF!

There's always Fire Red and Leaf Green, and Emerald if you're bothered enough to complete the Hoenn Dex (or go for the Gamecube games).

There's always Fire Red and Leaf Green, and Emerald if you're bothered enough to complete the Hoenn Dex (or go for the Gamecube games).

Yep... Those were the days... But I got all the starters in Pearl already btw. I don't think I have any form of Meganium anywhere since I sold my only one...

I miss the gamecube games. They were fun dispite not being to catch wild pokemon. In the original colleseum I had my favorite team ever since it was mostly dark 'cept for Feraligatr and Misdreavus...

I haven't played Battle Revolution yet but is it any good?

I think the starters of each generation have been pretty similar in quality, two alright to great ones and one more meh: the water starters/their evolutions have always been pretty meh, up until the 4th generation where the fire starter's the lame one.

I think the starters of each generation have been pretty similar in quality, two alright to great ones and one more meh: the water starters/their evolutions have always been pretty meh, up until the 4th generation where the fire starter's the lame one.

I think that's opinion. Totodile was always my favorite of the GSC starters, and Squirtle and Charmander were tied for my RBY starters.

I think that's opinion.

Well durr.

Also Totodile is awesome, but its evolutions kinda go towards "... D:".

IMO.

Well durr.

Also Totodile is awesome, but its evolutions kinda go towards "... D:".

IMO.

Gyah! The water starters lines (and the Bulbasaur line) are the greatest Pokemon ever. Your opinion is wrong. Grrr!

The starters have always held something special for me, and the only time I've ever not used one was on a single file in Emerald. I did a challenge of completing the game with only poison types so I boxed my Mudkip as soo as I could. Ah, that was a fun challenge. I'mma gonna go dun do that again!

For some reason, the 3rd Generation games seems a tad bland and forgetaful when compared to others. Not sure why, but it would seem like that for me. (Kinda applies with the cartoon series as well. But I've only seen bits and pieces of it). At least the Battle Frontier in Emerald was something.

I find this to be amusing, because R/S/E added the most to the competitive side of Pokemon. It added the Choice Items, Life Orb, other Items, Abilities, a lot of great Competitive Pokemon, and a lot of new moves that had competitive potential. R/B/Y and G/S/C didn't have any of this.

What?!

Squirtle and Mudkip are amazing. What are you smoking?

And Infernape is the best of the 3 D/P/P starters. >_> Torterra and Empoleon have comparatively low base stats and their movepools are weak, to say the least.

Squirtle and Mudkip are amazing. What are you smoking?

And Infernape is the best of the 3 D/P/P starters. >_> Torterra and Empoleon have comparatively low base stats and their movepools are weak, to say the least.

I never got into Squirtle, always found it a bit bland, Mudkip's first form might be cute but then it clusterfucks into a weird chernobyl-frog. Mudkip being a part of a lame meme doesn't help.

Boring stat crap is boring, Infernape's a fugly monkey. Steel-penguin and Bonsaiback rock the hell out of it (especially Torterra).

Edited by Flint

Your bias based entirely on appearance (when Infernape looks awesome anyway =D) is amusing.

Swampert's also awesome.

I think all of the D/P starters are rather effective, you can do pretty well with any of the ones you choose. Though I suppose that's really been the case since the start of the Pokemon games.

Well, the main stories have always been a joke. It doesn't require a well thought out team at all, and usually one can get through the main game using only the starter. I'm talking about battling with actual people, lol.

I'm recently playing Pokemon Silver (on rom) and while hatching for a shiny Eevee egg I actually got 2 in a row (21st and 22nd egg) both of them are male but that's okay I wanted a male shiny but it would have been awesome if I hatched three shinies in a row and one was female.

The first shiny is my beloved shiny Umbreon "Scratchers" from Diamond (and originally my very first Gold rom save).

The second one is going to be Flareon and he is named "Flare" until I think of something better.

PS: I know how to tell the difference of shiny and normal eggs. (On Stadium 2)

Edited by Evil Sonic

Your bias based entirely on appearance (when Infernape looks awesome anyway =D) is amusing.

I don't base everything entirely on appearance but when building up your team, the feel of the pok�mon is just as important as some boring stat-fuckery. I've stat-fucked myself anyway when choosing my fire pok� in Diamond but even that was between two pok�s I found awesome stylistically. This is a starter we're talking about, something that's most likely (/hopefully) gonna be your most trusted companion during your entire adventure. The feel for it and its visual side has to be right too instead of just cold, clinical stat-checking. I've always preferred, hell, encouraged in gaming that people make their choices based on what they like overall (in pok�mon, the look and feel of the creatures) instead of just looking at stats and sticking with something they might not even like that much simply because it's got better stats than something they actually find cool or cute. Which is why I've never really enjoyed it when people ask for what they should have in their team and all the answers are simple numbercrunching - go with your gut feelings, what just feels right instead of staring coldly at numbers. In the game world this is your trusted team of friends we're talking about, not just tools. It might be amusing to you, but I personally find minmax-munchkining to be somewhat melancholy.

Also monkeys never look awesome.

--

In other pok� news, sorted out crap from my boyfriend's attic today and found his copy of Ruby. More companions to my pok�dex :D.

Edited by Flint

I don't base everything entirely on appearance but when building up your team, the feel of the pok�mon is just as important as some boring stat-fuckery.

For many people, the fun in pokemon isn't playing the game, it's beating the living shit out of others and being able to gloat at them, I'd think they would say that stats are more important than anything else, but you always get players like that on any game that allows you to compete.

I've been considering making an all Eevee evolution team, but I want to get at least one female Eevee befoe I start, just for variety. My current Leafeon is one of my strongest pokemon, no idea why (not EV trained it purposefully) but I think Frobman would agree it's a feisty bugger.

And while Squritle was my first pokemon, but I agree he's a bit bland, just a turtle, but Blastoise is another story, shoulder cannons win it for me. I chose the water starter for Diamond to, and kind of regretted it, just seems as bit pants of a fighter when I got to Elite 4.

I've been a Pokemon fan for years now. I use to watch the show and collect the cards, but now I just play the games. I still have some of my cards though.

I think I almost got bored with it until I realized how really complex the game is. Once I learned the tricks of the trade, I've been pretty much playing it maniacally.

The games I have are Yellow(not sure where it's at), Emerald, Pearl and Platinum(which I haven't played yet, I have to wait until April 5th). I like all those versions for different reasons, but I like Pearl/Platinum most because they have the online connectivity. Other reasons too.

I'm currently building a team based on what I know, and picking some Pokemon I like. It'll always be a work in progress as I figure out what works and what fails, but I don't mind that.

Regrettably, I have hacked my Pokemon Pearl and got a lot of stuff, even screwed it up to where I can't do certain things. But I've never token advantage of someone using cheated Pokemon unless I ask if I can use them for fun. The worst I've done with my Pearl team was quickly getting them to Lv 100 with cheats. Cheating is cheating, though. So I plan to never let my action replay touch Platinum and play a fair game based on my knowledge and skill, which is something I usually do, but I let myself go...

My first Shiny Pokemon were very recently obtained(not counting the red Gyarados in my brother's Gold). The first one I hatched from an egg while trying to complete my PokeDex on Pearl(I didn't hack my PokeDex, wanted to do it the hard way). He's a shiny Tyrogue named Apollo. The second one I was trying to find a Chansey to steal a Lucky Egg off of. I didn't notice the Bibarel I found was shiny until I heard the sparkles, I probably wasn't paying attention because my mom asked me to do something(that, and the color isn't that different). I ended up naming it Buckie because I lacked anything original.

... That about sums it up.

I don't base everything entirely on appearance but when building up your team, the feel of the pok�mon is just as important as some boring stat-fuckery. I've stat-fucked myself anyway when choosing my fire pok� in Diamond but even that was between two pok�s I found awesome stylistically. This is a starter we're talking about, something that's most likely (/hopefully) gonna be your most trusted companion during your entire adventure. The feel for it and its visual side has to be right too instead of just cold, clinical stat-checking. I've always preferred, hell, encouraged in gaming that people make their choices based on what they like overall (in pok�mon, the look and feel of the creatures) instead of just looking at stats and sticking with something they might not even like that much simply because it's got better stats than something they actually find cool or cute. Which is why I've never really enjoyed it when people ask for what they should have in their team and all the answers are simple numbercrunching - go with your gut feelings, what just feels right instead of staring coldly at numbers. In the game world this is your trusted team of friends we're talking about, not just tools. It might be amusing to you, but I personally find minmax-munchkining to be somewhat melancholy.

Also monkeys never look awesome.

--

In other pok� news, sorted out crap from my boyfriend's attic today and found his copy of Ruby. More companions to my pok�dex :D.

Amen... I use crappy pokemon every time I start my new game (Linoone, Mightyena, Totodile) and I try to make them better with training. But I think they do better if you have a relationship with them. At least that's what I think...

Infernape was a "meh" for me but it was better than other starters they have. And better than Swampert at least...

I find this to be amusing, because R/S/E added the most to the competitive side of Pokemon. It added the Choice Items, Life Orb, other Items, Abilities, a lot of great Competitive Pokemon, and a lot of new moves that had competitive potential. R/B/Y and G/S/C didn't have any of this.

I meant in term of people, places, some Pokemon, and other content. Most of them are forgotten more easily. Otherwise, can't forget the ones you've mentioned.

And I pretty much use whoever I like. And train the hell out of them, to make sure they at least survive a battle. Though I've more than 6 trained Pokemon, I'd usually have a box full of trained ones.

In other news, I bought myself Pokemon Collosium and Leaf Green (a US version, I believe) from a Gamestation store for £8 roughly. Good price, no? (But sadly, I've no Gamecube to connect my GBA games to the GC game)