Awoo.

The Pokémanz Thread

ovarloard

There's really nothing to boast about in Pokémon... true pros come in, win, and then leave silently and gracefully, rather than bragging about shit without even battling someone.

This

I think you say to him "EVERYONE HAPPY WI-FI CONNECTION". It's something like that, maybe "Everybody".

Ok then. So is mystery gift basically useless unless you go to an event then?

I think cheating can take the fun out the game since the work you put into raising your pokemon basically the gameplay. If you get everything instantly you're not going to be playing the game much, are ya? That being said.....well if you own a game I don't think there are any rules to how you can enjoy and play it, so if cheating for pokemon is your thing then go for it. If you're hacking a competitive battling team as long as you don't hack them to be better then what it would be possible to raise your pokemon to be it seems fine. I myself do get attached to my pokemon and find it fun raising them so I think I will keep cheating in my game to a minimum.

Also Platinum is pure Awesome!

I couldnt word a post on this subject any better than this.

I cheated once, and I hated myself for it. So I deleted my game and started over. Now I play Pokemon the way it's meant to be played... going through the game while being challenged rather than just breezing through.

Well, I think it(Mystery Gift) also acts like the one in Gold and Silver. You can get random items if you connect with friends or through wireless.

Now I play Pokemon the way it's meant to be played

This is always a hilarious argument no matter what game it's said about.

This is always a hilarious argument no matter what game it's said about.

It kind of is, when I think about it. I really don't see how using a cheat device to get Pokemon, that Nintendo refuses to give us, is harmful to anyone. What, I can't complete my Pokedex?

I was mainly poking fun at the "meant to be played," as if Nintendo allowed the Action Replay to be sold for both the Gamecube and DS so people couldn't use them. Also it's funny when the developers create options and some people use a specific set of rules and then casual players are like "THAT'S NOT WHAT THE DEVELOPERS INTENDED GRRR"

LOL

Yeah, I know. I'm pretty sure most games are developed these days to have options for almost anyone. As for Action Replay, yes. There's nothing wrong with them if Nintendo isn't beating down CodeJunkies' door and forcing them to stop making it, I really doubt they care. The only thing cheating really affects is online games, and Action Replay codes generally don't work online anymore.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

I was mainly poking fun at the "meant to be played," as if Nintendo allowed the Action Replay to be sold for both the Gamecube and DS so people couldn't use them. Also it's funny when the developers create options and some people use a specific set of rules and then casual players are like "THAT'S NOT WHAT THE DEVELOPERS INTENDED GRRR"

LOL

lol

When I made that statement, I meant the way I felt it should be played, not the developer's thoughts.

But this made me think of Pit in Brawl. He's horribly cheap, IMO, and most of my friends agree. It doesn't seem very fair that he was given so many cheap moves, such high aerial mobility, and quick smash attacks.

Ok then. So is mystery gift basically useless unless you go to an event then?

For Diamond and Pearl, Mystery Gift allows you to receive pokemon at events and pokemon or items from PBR. With Platinum, you can do the same (in fact, the easiest way to 'unlock' the mystery gift option is just load up PBR and download the surfing Pikachu, Magmortar, and/or Electivire) but Platinum's

Secret Key for the Rotoms, and the Darkrai and Shaymin

items are going to be on WiFi - no event required. Or that's the plan, anyway. No traveling to a store, just to the closest WiFi point, if you don't have a router handy.

Yeah, we shouldn't have to wait long for the Secret Key. The Japanese got that fairly soon after Platinum's release in their region.

But this made me think of Pit in Brawl. He's horribly cheap, IMO, and most of my friends agree. It doesn't seem very fair that he was given so many cheap moves, such high aerial mobility, and quick smash attacks.

Not to go off-topic, but... no. First, "cheap," is an imagined adjective. In a game where the objective is to win, doing things that accomplish that goal are called "effective," not "cheap." Second, Pit isn't even close to being the best character. Whine about MetaKnight instead :P

Platinum's story mode was pretty fun... The changes from D/P made it interesting and took up about 20 hours. So whatever. lol.

I wonder...

Anybody playing Platinum gots Giratina's origin form yet? Is it really good and can you trade it to the other 2 games?

I'm really curious...

It's basically Giratina with Levitate and slightly different stats. Lol. And yeah, you can trade it to the other two.

I dunno, it's easy to look up. Both forms are Uber so it doesn't really matter.

Unless someone wants to use it in his/her game outside tournaments and finds such stat differences (especially Levitate) important despite its legendary status.

Edited by Flint

I wonder...

Anybody playing Platinum gots Giratina's origin form yet? Is it really good and can you trade it to the other 2 games?

I'm really curious...

Answer to the do I have it question:No

Answer to the can you trade it to the other games:No as well, when it gets to Diamond/Pearl apparently the Griseous Orb dissapears because it isnt coded into the game.

It's basically Giratina with Levitate and slightly different stats. Lol. And yeah, you can trade it to the other two.

More specifically its base Attack and Special Attack is swapped with its base Defense and Special Defense.

You're right, enjoying the game through any other means than is readily available from purchasing the game is wasting it. I guess using a controller to play a console game is wasting it, too!!

Wait what? Cheating with a cartridge is hacking the game's standard code; a game is MEANT to be played with a controller, and no cheat cartridge is condoned by the developers. Why else do you think Nintendo updated the Wii to stop supporting Action Replays? I'm not strong on my law; but there is likely a reason why none (or hardly any of) of Datel's (or anyone else's) products get taken off the market through suing, some kind of loophole that Datel made it through; and they take extra precautions by putting fake pictures of Pokémon (and etc) on their Action Replay boxes. Infact I'm pretty sure there's an NPC in one of the Pokémon games who says something like "cheating is wrong" or implies something like that.

There's really nothing to boast about in Pokémon... true pros come in, win, and then leave silently and gracefully, rather than bragging about shit without even battling someone.

At the end of the day, Pokémon is a game aimed at and intended for kids; of course there's a large boasting element in it, don't you remember what school was like when Pokémon first came out? You can't boast over something that took you no real effort to get, just £20 for a cheat cartridge, or even Pokésav.

I just said that there's nothing to boast about in Pokémon and then you say "You have nothing to boast about if you cheat." A winrar is you.

I don't particularly care how 8 year-old children play this game or boast about it, because it doesn't matter. They aren't the ones who are seriously into the fandom, and they aren't the ones who continually spend their own money toward the series.

Also Datel isn't getting sued because they didn't infringe on any copyrights or patents. Nintendo had to specifically allow the legal sale of Action Replay DS. They invented the DS and hold a zillion patents/copyrights on it, you can bet your ass that if they wanted to they would have said no.

Wait what? Cheating with a cartridge is hacking the game's standard code

Not all cheats do and besides, its not like you can use an AR cartridge to get fully EV'd Pokemon or Pokemon with higher stats than usual, you need Pokesav to do that and even then most people use it for the sake of speeding up the EV/IVing process or getting Pokemon that arent not normally obtainable.

Infact I'm pretty sure there's an NPC in one of the Pokémon games who says something like "cheating is wrong" or implies something like that.

Thats because the game is targeted at a younger audience and because kids usually pay more attention to games/tv than real life influences that might be placed there to teach the younger audience that cheating is wrong. Besides like I said above if you cheat for an EV'd/IV'd Pokemon using Pokesav all you're doing is speeding up the process (However I still prefer to raise mine honestly)

At the end of the day, Pokémon is a game aimed at and intended for kids; of course there's a large boasting element in it, don't you remember what school was like when Pokémon first came out? You can't boast over something that took you no real effort to get, just £20 for a cheat cartridge, or even Pokésav.

Yes but those are the times in which you are a little kid and you always brag when you win because you wouldnt know what else to do. At professional tournaments noone usually brags because they have matured past that stage of life and dont feel the need to brag if they win.

Also Datel isn't getting sued because they didn't infringe on any copyrights or patents. Nintendo had to specifically allow the legal sale of Action Replay DS. They invented the DS and hold a zillion patents/copyrights on it, you can bet your ass that if they wanted to they would have said no.

Why would Nintendo "allow" an Action Replay on DS but not on the Wii? I think it's only a matter of time before DSi updates block the DS Action Replay too, like it blocked various homebrew cartridges.

I just said that there's nothing to boast about in Pokémon and then you say "You have nothing to boast about if you cheat."

I was saying that there IS stuff to boast about in Pokémon, especially since kids love boasting so much. Those kids have nothing to boast about if they cheat, which is all I was saying.

Yes but those are the times in which you are a little kid and you always brag when you win because you wouldnt know what else to do. At professional tournaments noone usually brags because they have matured past that stage of life and dont feel the need to brag if they win.

At professional tournaments, cheating to get Pokémon and raise Pokémon is banned. Those people who are dedicated to Pokémon on that level potentially get more enjoyment out of the series than people who cheat to complete it and then never play it again.

You're acting as if the only fun in the game is playing the story mode. Which couldn't be further from the truth. I'd rather skip to the end and battle with friends/at tournamentsthan play through the monotonous story mode, it's called preference.

Professional tournaments wouldn't be able to tell whether or not your team is PokéSav'd, so that doesn't even matter, and about 99% of all competitive players don't actually raise their Pokémon. The competitive metagame's rules are intended to test one's ability at choosing a team, and your effectiveness at using that team (prediction, decision making, etc.), not who has the most time to waste doing pointless shit.

Also Nintendo didn't want the Action Replay for the GCN to work on the Wii because people were hacking Wii stuff, when they haven't allowed an actual Wii Action Replay. It's still useable on the Gamecube.

Right then, it's called preference, and personally I don't agree that cheating is the right way to play a game, or any game for that matter. For me, raising Pokémon and filling in my Pokédex is probably the most challenging and rewarding part of the game; it's why I buy them. Cheating made me feel like I had wasted my money on a game I wasn't going to enjoy to its fullest and spend my time on. That's how I feel about cheating in general, and I don't feel like changing my mind about it anytime soon.

Also Nintendo didn't want the Action Replay for the GCN to work on the Wii because people were hacking Wii stuff, when they haven't allowed an actual Wii Action Replay. It's still useable on the Gamecube.

People were hacking Gamecube stuff too, the only reason it's still usable on GC is because the GC doesn't have firmware updates like 7th gen consoles do. Infact that's pretty much the reason the DS has been the only 7th gen console so far to allow it, it's the only one that doesn't allow for constant updates, until the DSi that is.

No shit? The Action Replay GCN was originally used to hack GCN stuff. Nintendo didn't like that the ARGCN was being used to hack Wii stuff, though, so they just patched it. Nintendo allowed for AR to work on the GCN, proof that they didn't care about it.

Cheating isn't the "right" way to play any game because there isn't "right," way to do anything. So congratulations on that.

No shit? The Action Replay GCN was originally used to hack GCN stuff. Nintendo didn't like that the ARGCN was being used to hack Wii stuff, though, so they just patched it. Nintendo allowed for AR to work on the GCN, proof that they didn't care about it.

The hacked GC could also run Linux and Homebrew, with or without an Action Replay, pretty much just like the Wii but not as easy. Also, Nintendo couldn't upgrade the GC so there wasn't really a way they could stop the AR working on it.

Cheating isn't the "right" way to play any game because there isn't "right," way to do anything.

I beg to differ; sure cheating can be fun to do stuff in the game you're not meant to do, but what's the point in buying a game if you just cheat the ending like some people do? It takes out all the challenge, it takes out all the time, it pretty much makes you wonder why you play games in the first place. Like you/I said, personal preference, or whatever, if you're a tournament person who plays Pokémon for that, so be it, but if you want to play Pokémon as a video game from start to finish, then cheating just kinda takes the value out of things.

Do you really have to be sarcastic and demeaning about every little thing? It makes the "debate" seem closer to "arguing"

Edited by SuperLink