Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

Im suprised people forgot that the original trio was Sonic, Tails, & Amy. Knuckles was AFTER Amy, so Sonic, Tails, Amy, & Knuckles will please me.

What about Mighty and Ray? Eh? EEEEEEEHHHHHHHHH???????????

Knuckles and Tails are part of the trio because they're the two more important and playable characters. Amy sort of just existed (yes, even in CD) before Adventure. Knuckles and Tails both had relationships with Sonic.

I don't care if they make Omochao playable, as long as the game is fun.

I care. That would be the most awesome thing ever.

...would you be happy if Penguinator was playable?

Knuckles and Tails both had relationships with Sonic.

Rather scandalous relationships that were all over the news...

But anyways, I personally wouldn't mind being able to play as an old school "Rosy the Rascal" style Amy. It would be the first time that design was playable in a platformer.^^

• Thumbs Up 1

Rather scandalous relationships that were all over the news...

But anyways, I personally wouldn't mind being able to play as an old school "Rosy the Rascal" style Amy. It would be the first time that design was playable in a platformer.^^

Bloody knew someone would say that that. I considered writing "romantic relationships" instead.

In any sort of story, I'd rather just see the older characters (anyone from before Adventure) but I wouldn't flip at the site of a new face in addition to them. The classic games always introduced someone new, so a 'new classic' game (if that's what this is) could do the same. And outside of the story, I couldn't care who appears.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion, I think we should have Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman. The prior four should be playable. If there's any other characters, they should be unlockable. Shadow and maybe Metal Sonic would probably be shoe-ins for that. If there's a plot, only the core cast would appear. I don't see what's wrong with this line-up at all.

If we do have unlockable characters, there's no way Shadow isn't going to be one. Unless they go completely classic on us, and I have a feeling that will be going through pretty highly, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't still throw in Shadow just as a secret extra that you don't have to play as at all. And would be totally badass in the process.

That interviewer guy for GameSpot already confirmed that it was going to be mostly in style of the Genesis classics.

As for characters, no one blames them for adding new characters and to be honest I really welcome it. It's how they execute them that bothers everyone so everyone generalize that new characters = bad.

Um...I just hope there WILL be more playable characters besides Sonic. I'd like a main cast of Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Dr Eggman. Maybe even Metal Sonic and er..token new character. >o>

And if it turns out like Sonic Rush I'll be very sad. D= I do like the Sonic Rush games, but if this is going to be like the Genesis games then it's not all about pushing the D-pad right half the time.

If they do end up making a new character I want them to make their playstyle 1)simple, 2)like Sonic's, but with a twist (same as with Knuckles and Tails, same basics), and 3) Make them fit within the mood of the game. If the game is all bright and cheery and genesis like, I would rather not see doom, gloom and angst filling up this new character.

Knuckles plays exactly the same as Sonic except he can glide and climb walls; the different routes play no factor in the gameplay, otherwise it further discredits argument that Shadow himself has nothing to bring as you can easily give him different routes and up the difficulty like they've done in previous games with his inclusion. Like I said, it's not what the have or don't have, it's what you give them to work with (i.e. altering their gameplay).

Knuckles is slower, has a MUCH shorter jump (Death Egg in Sonic 2, much?) and fights a variety of different Bosses (like Marble Garden and Launch Base) by getting to them through alternate routes that a player who has only previously played as Sonic and Tails would not be expecting. The general feeling around Knuckles's gameplay is that his story is more difficult than Sonic's due to these slight variations. Even in the handheld games he does vastly different mvoes and attacks, frankly all they have in common is the fast speed, spin dash and the ability to curl into a ball when they jump!

And nobody's boycotting Tails and Knuckles. Why in the hell is it that when someone uses them against an argument it's somehow assumed that they're boycotting them, or that we don't want them around?

When I replied to the thread, the last couple of posts had seemed very anti-Tails and Knuckles, so maybe I exaggerated a bit with the term "boycott", calm down.

We're just bringing up a point that they too have many things exactly like Sonic except for a few abilities, yet they can still work well in the game, and that just because Shadow or any other character have many similarities to Sonic, that doesn't mean they don't have something else to bring to the gameplay.

I never said otherwise, but I believe it would be a good idea to focus on giving the extra characters a broader focus and ability set list to differentiate and mix up the gameplay, like in Sonic Adventure.

What difference would it make if the were in the story with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles? If it's anything like the Classic games, they'll all be optional from the start.

I would prefer that you'd play as Sonic, but would switch to Tails to upgrade the equipement as and when, and to Knuckles for the bash 'em up gameplay (perhaps it would be easier to make Knuckles's story paralell to Sonic/and Tails's but not part of the main narrative, so it wouldn't be such a slog to always *have* to play as all three)

Edited by SKSpawn

Knuckles is slower,
No he isn't. He has exactly the same acceleration and top speed as Sonic and Tails.

has a MUCH shorter jump (Death Egg in Sonic 2, much?)
It's not that much shorter. It's barely even noticeable until you come to a point where it forces Knuckles along another path.

and fights a variety of different Bosses (like Marble Garden and Launch Base) by getting to them through alternate routes that a player who has only previously played as Sonic and Tails would not be expecting. The general feeling around Knuckles's gameplay is that his story is more difficult than Sonic's due to these slight variations.
And these things could be done just the same for any character in the series.

frankly all they have in common is the fast speed, spin dash and the ability to curl into a ball when they jump!
So they have everything important in common.

When I replied to the thread, the last couple of posts had seemed very anti-Tails and Knuckles, so maybe I exaggerated a bit with the term "boycott", calm down.
No one is against Tails and Knuckles. I'm just tired of the assumption that every character introduced from 1999 onwards is a horrific cancer on the series while Tails and Knuckles can do no wrong because they're "classic". The divide between them needs to be broken down, and while that involves taking Tails and Knuckles down a peg or two (from "untouchable nigh-godhood" to "major characters"), it's not because I don't like them (I do like them!) and it's not that I don't want them in the game (I do want them in the game!).

I never said otherwise, but I believe it would be a good idea to focus on giving the extra characters a broader focus and ability set list to differentiate and mix up the gameplay, like in Sonic Adventure.
I think the last 10 years have proven that doesn't work. The series has been spreading itself too thin; trying to give everyone their own gameplay style ends up with all of them suffering. Not to mention, why is all this random-ass gameplay seeping into what should be a fast-paced platformer? I wouldn't buy an FPS to race go-karts, I wouldn't buy Mario Kart to shoot people, so why would I buy a Sonic game to go fishing or shoot aliens?

I mean, it's fair enough to give the characters different abilities so they're more than just clones of each other. S3&K did it well, and I think it can be pushed even further than that (I've got an idea for Fang where he doesn't even spin), but if you go too far and lose that common base, the whole thing falls apart.

• Thumbs Up 2

While Shadow has his chaos attacks, how well would that really work in 2D? Tails can fly up to new locations, Knuckles can climb and glide to new locations, and Sonic just has the speedy way through the level. Shadow would NOT differ dramatically from Sonic so I believe at most he should be an unlockable extra. While I cant stand Shadow, I am just looking out for gameplay.

Sonic has the insta-shield, so why can't Shadow have his teleport thing from Battle? Probably can use it to phase through solid walls. Hmmmmm?

Imagination conquers.

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably can use it to phase through solid walls. Hmmmmm?

Whoa, I was gonna say that. I was thinking like Nightcrawler used to do in that Genesis X-men game, on the double jump, and quick enough for a Sonic game. It could open shortcuts and Shadow-only passageways.

I think the only really basic moves you need on a Sonic character are running, jumping, and rolling. Exactly what Sonic had in the first game. Take away the rolling and you get Amy from Advance 1, and that was awful. Each character gets a move or two beyond that, that helps them interact with the environment uniquely.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

While Shadow has his chaos attacks, how well would that really work in 2D?

I could see some uses for slowing down time, like what SatSR started to do with Time Break. A teleport dash like he had in Battle might be interesting...maybe even let him go through walls damn it all you guys are too quick for me. :(

Knuckles is slower

Hardly. He runs at the same speed as Sonic. Only games where he is slower than Sonic are the new games.

has a MUCH shorter jump (Death Egg in Sonic 2, much?)

You barely even notice that. And even so that doesn't drastically change his gameplay one bit other than making it harder to reach higher ledges.

and fights a variety of different Bosses (like Marble Garden and Launch Base) by getting to them through alternate routes that a player who has only previously played as Sonic and Tails would not be expecting.

As does Shadow and plenty other characters in the new games...

The general feeling around Knuckles's gameplay is that his story is more difficult than Sonic's due to these slight variations.

No it isn't. It's different, but not more difficult than Sonic's as all but very few bosses and stages are fought and played the exact same way. The only edge Knuckles has over Sonic is his ability to glide and climb walls, so should you fall off something you can glide towards the wall and climb back up whereas Sonic would have to take a slightly longer time to get back to where he fell off; in some cases if he misses his mark he can hardly get back up there.

frankly all they have in common is the fast speed, spin dash and the ability to curl into a ball when they jump!

Which are the most essential abilities of the entire game, anything after that is extra and while it does diverge from those abilities to make them unique it does so by a small margin.

You can get a punch combo foes in the Advances, but you could hardly make use of them when you're speeding throught the stage, as you had to sit still in order to actually punch. And you would have to be pretty skilled to do that on the bosses without getting hit.

Those post where used put the anti-new character attitude on an equal level when it's claimed that Sonic Tails and Knuckles has all we'll ever need. If you can come up with a reason why Shadow should be left out, I can find a good reason why Tails and Knuckles should be left out. That doesn't mean that I hate them, just that I'm against discriminating against characters simply because they weren't around during the Classic era.

Shadow's not likely to be in the game, but if he does, I doubt the developers will simply have him as a recolor of Sonic with the exact same abilities.

I would prefer that you'd play as Sonic, but would switch to Tails to upgrade the equipement as and when, and to Knuckles for the bash 'em up gameplay (perhaps it would be easier to make Knuckles's story paralell to Sonic/and Tails's but not part of the main narrative, so it wouldn't be such a slog to always *have* to play as all three)

Why not have extra characters with slight differences of their own besides just the Classic 3?

The Blue Blur is the speedster, Twin Tails is the flyer, Rad Red is the basher, Dark Devil the warper, Pink Pain the hammerer, etc. Each character would be optional and could fit the player's style of play.

While Shadow has his chaos attacks, how well would that really work in 2D?

What kind of question is that? It's not it's that difficult to do in a platformer of all games, considering they've done it millions of times in the past.

Let's use his Chaos Spear for example, they could work the same way as Knuckles 3-punch combo in the Advance series, except they can attack from a distance instead of getting up close. They'd also attack depending on where you aim them. It's as simple as that, how hard is it to have a shooting ability in a 2D game of all games?

Chaos Control? Double press the Jump button on the pad and use the control stick (or D-pad) to determine the direction he teleports, maybe phase through the wall. Looks like I wasn't the first to think of that.

How could it possibly be that difficult?

Shadow would NOT differ dramatically from Sonic

With those Chaos Powers, it would be foolish to think he wouldn't be any different.

While I cant stand Shadow, I am just looking out for gameplay.

Sounded more like you're blocking to me...

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1

For some reason, I feel rather wishy-washy about Shadow's Chaos Powers. My more favorite ones are more combat-centric which probably wouldn't go over well in a Classic-oriented game where meaningful combat outside of bosses isn't a real focus. I see very little use for Chaos Control as well outside of pausing lasers and barriers and things, but that certainly wouldn't be a gimmick that'd be recurring enough throughout the entire game to warrant implementing it, would it? If anything, that could merely be replaced by a basic teleportation maneuver. Frankly, I'd like to see Shadow's hoverskates be put to more use besides his glide. He was able to float around freely in his first cutscene and I see no reason why he can't utilize them more through abilities like temporary floatation, quick and immediate dashes in any direction, swift navigation underwater, and perhaps a powerful jump you charge that could also double as an attack or a means to destroy buttons and switches.

Edited by Nepenthe

No new characters. I think we can all agree on that... right?

Aside from what we already have, yeah I think a lot of us can agree to that.

EDIT: Although the guys below me do have a point.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Nope!

Not that I'd prefer that they made a new character; it'd be better if they make use of the characters they already have, but I'm not going to be too bothered if someone new shows up. The series has always been adding characters, and there are still plenty of ways they could make interesting new characters.

Of course, if the character just plain sucks, that's another matter entirely...

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's something else I've been wondering about lately after seeing the http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0Mt-bftbPY. You think they'll keep the same close camera they had in the classic games, or go for a wide-view since this is an HD game? It wouldn't really change the way the game is played, but things would look more like Unleashed if they went the second route. I like the style they had in the classics and handhelds, wider might be a little disorienting.

Edited by Stretchy Werewolf

Not at all. Each of the old Sonic games introduced at least one new character. I'd rather see a brand new character take role in the storyline than any other post-Adventure one in a classic style game. And I have no preference on whether or not I'd rather see a brand new character or just the old ones.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 1

Not at all. Each of the old Sonic games introduced at least one new character. I'd rather see a brand new character take role in the storyline than any other post-Adventure one in a classic style game. And I have no preference on whether or not I'd rather see a brand new character or just the old ones.

See I wouldn't want that either.

I'm just fed up with the addition of new characters in just about any new game. It's frankly useless and I'd rather they stick to the classic ones. Now, I understand some wouldn't be upset with a new one coming along, but I'm very pessimistic about it and I'm pretty s/he would be useless to the series.

Edited by Vasco

I just wonder what constitutes a useless Sonic character, because personally I haven't seen one yet. I mean, it's too silly for me to believe that Sega can spend years designing, writing, animating, giving a voice to, and marketing a character with no discernible purpose to the series as a whole. All Sonic characters have a purpose, regardless of if it's minor or necessary.

And even most of the characters that have been deemed as absolutely necessary to this franchise are unfortunately not as untouchable as we'd like them to be.

• Thumbs Up 1