Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

The problem with character fights is that Sonic & company speed up and slow down gradually, as opposed to the abrupt movements seen in combat focused games.

That is a problem that could be circumvented with some clever choreographing. If the game designers were to think of combat on more of a grander scale (like vertical elements or what Sonic Rush did at the end) than the pacing issues facing character battles would be minimized.

In other words, the fights could take advantage of Sonic’s gradual movements by making physic’s more important during actual combat.

It's not a fighting game. Don't give them the idea to make it one. I agree with Soap, Robot fights > other character fights.

In other news, has this been posted?

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bt/benzaie/specials/12886-intsega

It's nothing big, but he does talk a bit about Needlemouse. He says with Needlemouse Sega wanted to do something to please nostalgic Sonic fans. Once again states that Sonic's main target is children. How they loved Werehog, and nostalgic fans hated it etc.

Edited by speedfreak

It's not a fighting game. Don't give them the idea to make it one. I agree with Soap, Robot fights > other character fights.

In other news, has this been posted?

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bt/benzaie/specials/12886-intsega

It's nothing big, but he does talk a bit about Needlemouse. He says with Needlemouse Sega wanted to do something to please nostalgic Sonic fans. Once again states that Sonic's main target is children. How they loved Werehog, and nostalgic fans hated it etc.

...I call that more than nothing. Pay attention to what he says around 4 minutes into the interview.

"With Needlemouse I think SEGA is trying to appeal to all those Nostalgic Gamers. Because on the Xbox Live and PSN there are a lot of Nostalgic gamers... *pause... Could he of realized he said something he wasn't supposed too?* And the old version of Sonic games sell very well on these platforms, so there's a real market for these kind of products. Our goal is to please all these hardcore gamers."

Edited by Dusk the Crypt Keeper

...I call that more than nothing. Pay attention to what he says around 4 minutes into the interview.

"With Needlemouse I think SEGA is trying to appeal to all those Nostalgic Gamers. Because on the Xbox Live and PSN there are a lot of Nostalgic gamers... *pause... Could he of realized he said something he wasn't supposed too?* And the old version of Sonic games sell very well on these platforms, so there's a real market for these kind of products. Our goal is to please all these hardcore gamers."

Very interesting. This adds more fuel to the 'download title' theory.

I'm hoping SEGA clears up this up soon.

No one said it should be a fighting game if you were paying attention. Just that if there would've been any character battles like they've done in the past, they could give him a moveset that's more than just spamming the Homing Attack.

Who you fight makes no difference as long as it's fun, and not boring.

• Thumbs Up 1

The only 2D games to have homing attack are the Rushes ad I think Advances. So the homing attack problem, wouldn't be there, right?

BTW Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the first 2D Sonic from Sonic Team since the classics and gamegear games?

No one said it should be a fighting game if you were paying attention. Just that if there would've been any character battles like they've done in the past, they could give him a moveset that's more than just spamming the Homing Attack.

Who you fight makes no difference as long as it's fun, and not boring.

See, right there I have to cut you off. I think one of the best things about classic Sonic is it's simplicity. You had a button to jump, and you moved with the D-pad. I think adding kicks and punches or whatever kind of moveset you're talking about would just over complicate things and thus bog down the gameplay experience. Sonic jumps on/at things and uses his spines to damage them. I really don't want the battles in the game any more complicated then that.

Edit: There was also rolling and later the spin dash, but it was still fairly simple.

Edited by speedfreak

See, right there I have to cut you off. I think one of the best things about classic Sonic is it's simplicity. You had a button to jump, and you moved with the D-pad. I think adding kicks and punches or whatever kind of moveset you're talking about would just over complicate things and thus bog down the gameplay experience. Sonic jumps on/at things and uses his spines to damage them. I really don't want the battles in the game any more complicated then that.

Edit: There was also rolling and later the spin dash, but it was still fairly simple.

Now we move with joysticks.

...Um yeah. Try to avoid non-sequitor posts, unless there's something here that I'm entirely missing. -Jake

I played Sonic Rush with the D-pad just yesterday. It really does feel good to say "D-pad".

Yeah, it does feel good, but this game is going to be on the PS3/Xbox 360. It wouldn't be comfortable to play with.

Edited by turbojet

But if it's a Genesis style game wouldn't that mean that it'd be in 2D?

I don't know about you but whenever the game is 2D I always find myself using the d-pad. Same with fighting games.

But if it's a Genesis style game wouldn't that mean that it'd be in 2D?

360 D-Pad is complete shit, and some people have problems with the location of the D-Pad on the PS3.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 2

I suppose you're right about the 360 pad. It's my main problem with it, but I love the DualShock series to pieces so I have no problem playing this game or any other 2D one on its d-pad.

What would be perfect is if the game's for Wii retail in addition to XBLA and PSN, since there's no risk at all with a Sonic game on the Wii, besides, they don't have to worry about the cost of HD on the Wii and about space as it's retail. Hope the Wii isn't left out, would it really make sense if it was? ;)

Edited by Hero of Legend

What would be perfect is if the game's for Wii retail in addition to XBLA and PSN, since there's no risk at all with a Sonic game on the Wii, besides, they don't have to worry about the cost of HD on the Wii and about space as it's retail. Hope the Wii isn't left out, would it really make sense if it was? ;)

Wouldn't it be a little odd to sell a downloaded game as a retail game? I mean, download games never have the amount of content expected from a retail game, and are both judged and priced differently from retail games.

I think adding kicks and punches or whatever kind of moveset you're talking about would just over complicate things and thus bog down the gameplay experience.

The moveset I'm talking about is just a few punches and kicks for Sonic to have when fighting other characters. It wouldn't be any more complicated than how they had it in the Advance games.

Sonic jumps on/at things and uses his spines to damage them. I really don't want the battles in the game any more complicated then that.

See that would be just the same Christmas present we got almost 2 decades ago. Not that I don't mind this game taking a trip down memory lane, but I would like this game to have something that makes it fresher from the Classic games while harboring their charm.

Can't we have a little more to it that makes Sonic more fun in this game than he was in the earlier days? A new title should still deliever something fresh.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

I think Sonic games should have simple enough control schemes that you could drop anyone into the first level with no tutorial or manual and have them able to play just fine. I don't want to have another game like SA 2 where they felt the need to explain things every 10 feet.

Same here. But I want something that gives me a fresh experience for the game instead of just being one of the Classics with a different coat of paint in the form of new or old levels.

Having a large list of moves in a game like this would make that very unlikely to actually happen, and silently adding moves for certain parts would make it not happen for sure. It would be the CNZ barrel all over again.

Edited by Phos

Having a large list of moves in a game like this would make that very unlikely to actually happen, and silently adding moves for certain parts would make it not happen for sure. It would be the CNZ barrel all over again.

No where did I say for this game to have a large list of moves or add moves for certain parts of the game, Phos.

Strawman much?

Just to sort out what I suggested on the page before, I didn't mean characters should have combat moves. I was just saying that maybe a multiplayer battle mode would be fun, because besides running to the goal it's just about the only other play style in the classics. If you could call it that. It was more like an interactive cutscene, fighting a fellow furry instead of Robotnik. I imagined a battle arena that encourages a lot of jumping around, and the moves would be basic - spin dash, jump, any other move your character has, and maybe the button mashing showdown from the end of the Sonic vs. Blaze fight under certain conditions. No rings, first to eight hits, maybe a shield at the top of the arena to give players something to grab. It's a multiplayer distraction, not a suggestion for gameplay. Assuming the game has multiplayer that includes more than one character. I'm not asking for Sonic Battle here.

I know what you suggested, but I'm speaking on my behalf, not your's. I'd like something fresh to the table to give this game it's own identity while harboring the charm of the classics. I wouldn't necessarily feel anything like that if it was just like the classics with a different coat of paint over it.

That's just what I would want out of this game, provided that we get more info on it.

No where did I say for this game to have a large list of moves or add moves for certain parts of the game, Phos.

Strawman much?

The moveset I'm talking about is just a few punches and kicks for Sonic to have when fighting other characters.

eng101.png

What makes this funnier is that that emphasis is yours.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

What makes this funnier is that that emphasis is yours.

Okay Captain Giggles, let's clear a few things here.

How does a few punches and kicks or a moveset how they did in the Advances equal a large lists of moves?

And to clear any ambiguity, since I know you have such a hard time understanding me, when I said fighting other characters it would be the same as it would going through the rest of the game and fighting bosses at the end should said characters be those bosses in the game. Nothing about it being a seperate part from the levels.

Am I clear now, Mr. Phos? Or are there other things you'd like to take a shot at? ;)

EDIT: You must've really liked the name I gave you, huh? :lol:

Okay Captain Giggles, let's clear a few things here.

How does a few punches and kicks or a moveset how they did in the Advances equal a large lists of moves?

The Sonic Advance games had a pretty large amount of moves, recall that they ran out of buttons to map them to so they had to start making them context sensitive. Also, whether it's for PvP or PvE, silently adding moves for those sequences is going to confuse a lot of people, and make the first fight an exercise of trial and error.

And to clear any ambiguity, cause I know you have such a hard time understanding me, when I said fighting other characters it would be the same as it would for fighting bosses should said characters be those bosses in the game. Am I clear now, Mr. Phos? Or are there other things you like to take a shot at? ;)

You were until you wrote this. I dare you to diagram that sentence.