Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

The Sonic Advance games had a pretty large amount of moves
You'll have to refresh my memory here, but from what I recall the only extra moves for most characters that weren't already present were a single melee move per character (3 hit combos for Sonic and Knux, a 1 hit for Tails). Amy's the only one who comes even remotely close to fitting the description, and even then she only had, like, three or four moves. Is your definition of "large" really that skewed?

EDIT: Just realised you were talking about the Advances as a whole, not just Advance 1. Point still applies though for the most part.

Edited by Blacklightning

The Sonic Advance games had a pretty large amount of moves, recall that they ran out of buttons to map them to so they had to start making them context sensitive.

The were not that large, and not that complex either. Most of them being real simple or really useless

SAdv1:

-Sonic had his standard jump, spindash, somersault and slide, instashield, and the useless rolling and air dash abilities

-Tails had his tail attack, standard jump, spindash, flight, and I think that was it.

-Amy had her hammer attack, a hammer jump, a leap, and a slide attack

-Knuckles had a standard jump, three punch combo, spindash, gliding, and climbing.

SAdv2:

-Sonic had those same moves along with a new ground attack, a tornado kick, and an air-dash that was still useless.

-Tails only had a few other extra moves with his tail that weren't any sort of attack

-Knuckles had and extra ground strike ability, a tackle attack, and an elbow attack

-Cream had the usual moves plus her chao attack, chao spin, and flight, along with her own ground attack

-Amy kept some of her hammer moves, but gained the usual moves of Sonic, along with her hammer spin, and hammer ground attack.

SAdv3 wiped a lot of the moves from SAdv2 in their team use system and gave them their basic moves, except had you use one button to use the team character on the ground or in the air.

Now even if we're going to argue over whether or not they had a large list of moves, you could still beat the Advances with only the most basic moves.

Also, whether it's for PvP or PvE, silently adding moves for those sequences is going to confuse a lot of people, and make the first fight an exercise of trial and error.

They would be available from the start of the level up towards the boss, not like how they would have the boss scene separate from the levels in SAdv2 where you had a boss fight while running. And you could still use just the basic moves to beat them.

You were until you wrote this. I dare you to diagram that sentence.

What's with you being so assholish for the simplest of reasons? And what is there to diagram? It would be just like a boss fight if it were one of Eggman's machines, so I'm not seeing how it should go beyond that.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Whining alert, I demand that members 338 and 231 calm the fuck down and keep this nonsense quarreling out of here. Phos, stop baiting him. CSS, stop taking the bait. Now stop arguing already.

I had no idea we were getting that fierce...:mellow:

Sorry, Jakey. :(

Don't worry about it, my tone was probably more harsh than it should have been anyway.

In either case, carry on with normal discussion.

About that video interview... I'll only be excited when I actually see some damn footage, and that is if it actually looks good. Though, I honestly doubt they'll actually top NSMBWii and Castlevania: The Adventure - ReBirth in the nostalgia department, or, in the latter for actually replicating the classic gameplay.

Edited by The Sniper

Though, I honestly doubt they'll actually top NSMBWii

Is it really that hard to top BSMBWii?

I'd be interested to know how strong the market is for 2D Sonic classic games, since the guy in the interview seems to believe there is demand.

Edited by blackherox

Is it really that hard to top BSMBWii?

I take it you've played it and seen more than two reviews, then? That game is full of fanservice. My point still stands on one front, though, there's been a lot of retro revivals lately, and Needlemouse will have to pull something incredible to top any of 'em.

I don't know why, but that seems more like baby shadow than retro shadow. Perhaps they tried too hard to make him round, since that seems to be the general change from retro Sonic to current. But there must be more to the change than just that.

Edit:Same for Silver

Edited by Chaos Walker

It's not a fighting game. Don't give them the idea to make it one. I agree with Soap, Robot fights > other character fights.

In other news, has this been posted?

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/bt/benzaie/specials/12886-intsega

It's nothing big, but he does talk a bit about Needlemouse. He says with Needlemouse Sega wanted to do something to please nostalgic Sonic fans. Once again states that Sonic's main target is children. How they loved Werehog, and nostalgic fans hated it etc.

I'm a little late to the party, but wow.

I can't beleive SEGA are trying to shift the blame for their crappy games to it"Being made for kids" therefore it doesn't have to be good. I also laughed at the werehog thing, what, so if kids like it, it automatcally is a good idea? Well kids are into...damn what are kids into these days..uh...cell phones and ipods and uh....Morgan Freeman? Gonna start having Sonic battle his new *sigh* monster of the week with a cell phone laser gun or ipod-sword SEGA? And anyway, do they realise that the "hardcore gamers" or "nostalgic 20 something-ers" used to be kids when they played classic Sonic? Or that kids these days can enjoy classic Sonic, shock horror!

That is really a lame excuse Frenchy!

Anywhaaa.. At least he seems to think classic fans will like Project Needlemouse, whether that turns out to be true or not is another matter, but at least SEGA are maybe paying some attention to their fans of yore.

~Also, I don't know if anybody else noticed, but amongst other things in that cabinet shown briefly during that interview was an E-102 Gamma plush!! :o I didn't know they made these!

Edited by The-Master-Board
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I take it you've played it and seen more than two reviews, then? That game is full of fanservice. My point still stands on one front, though, there's been a lot of retro revivals lately, and Needlemouse will have to pull something incredible to top any of 'em.

No I haven't, although I heard that Edge gave the game a 7 or so. You just made it sound that the game was doing something amazing, which it isn't really. Needlemouse is only being made because of fanservice in the first place anyway so I don't see the difference there. Not to mention that Sega have been giving a lot of fanservice recently.

HOLAS:

I know from personal experience (my nephews to be more precise) that kids nowadays can still play, and enjoy, classic sonic games. :)

Then again, when I ask about they're favourite games they still prefeer to play Sonic Riders and Sonic Heroes, shock horror!

I can't tell what's going on in their heads... Maybe tastes, fads and other things like that change through the years... Maybe the things that we used to like when we were kids aren't "hit" anymore... Maybe SEGA takes things like this in consideration while doing a sonic game....

Or maybe they just like it because it's prettier? *shrugs*

I hope this game helps to solve this questions. *does a reflexive pose*

p.d: I thought it was Gordon Freeman D= (then again, Morgan Freeman is awesome).

p.p.d: This post may look like it was sarcastic, but believe me, it wasn't my intention :P

I can't beleive SEGA are trying to shift the blame for their crappy games to it"Being made for kids" therefore it doesn't have to be good. I also laughed at the werehog thing, what, so if kids like it, it automatcally is a good idea? Well kids are into...damn what are kids into these days..uh...cell phones and ipods and uh....Morgan Freeman? Gonna start having Sonic battle his new *sigh* monster of the week with a cell phone laser gun or ipod-sword SEGA? And anyway, do they realise that the "hardcore gamers" or "nostalgic 20 something-ers" used to be kids when they played classic Sonic? Or that kids these days can enjoy classic Sonic, shock horror!

That is really a lame excuse Frenchy!

Anywhaaa.. At least he seems to think classic fans will like Project Needlemouse, whether that turns out to be true or not is another matter, but at least SEGA are maybe paying some attention to their fans of yore.

~Also, I don't know if anybody else noticed, but amongst other things in that cabinet shown briefly during that interview was an E-102 Gamma plush!! :o I didn't know they made these!

Am I the only who thought about what video games their kids will play in the future? I am probably going to give the genesis sonic games to my kid for his/her's first games. They need to appreciate 2d platformers, so the genre never dies!

Am I the only who thought about what video games their kids will play in the future? I am probably going to give the genesis sonic games to my kid for his/her's first games. They need to appreciate 2d platformers, so the genre never dies!

It is getting close to being pretty dead now. The amount of 2D platformers and platformers in general this generation is pretty minute to be honest. With the current fads being FPS, party sport games and certain RPG's.

I can't beleive SEGA are trying to shift the blame for their crappy games to it"Being made for kids" therefore it doesn't have to be good. I also laughed at the werehog thing, what, so if kids like it, it automatcally is a good idea?

For business, yeah. Because if the kids like it, they're going to be the ones who end up buying it.

For the most part kids are the one making up most of their sales and hence why they've been catering to them moreso than older fans. So it only makes sense for a business to cater to whoever is making them the most profit for their product, right?

Well kids are into...damn what are kids into these days..uh...cell phones and ipods and uh....Morgan Freeman?

Is there something wrong with what they're into? (and Morgan Freeman is cool as hell, by the way. :P)

And anyway, do they realise that the "hardcore gamers" or "nostalgic 20 something-ers" used to be kids when they played classic Sonic? Or that kids these days can enjoy classic Sonic, shock horror!

Are you a kid right now? That's the thing, "nostalgic 20 somthing-er" were kids in the past, but they're not kids anymore at this point, and a lot can happen over the years.

And frankly, what if kids actually don't enjoy classic Sonic? It's not that one sided, just because they can enjoy something doesn't automatically mean they will. Some will enjoy it, some will enjoy Sonic Unleashed more. That's how it is. No sense in getting worked up over this.

It doesn't matter about what happened nearly 2 decades ago, and no I don't like the path they've been going either. But regardless kids are the target, not the adults.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wouldn't it be a little odd to sell a downloaded game as a retail game? I mean, download games never have the amount of content expected from a retail game, and are both judged and priced differently from retail games.

Ratchet and Clank:Ques for Booty was sold Retail and as download in Europe or in at least Germany. Oddly the disc version takes up more installation space than the download version, unless the magazines made a typo. O.o

It's insane the amount of buzz this is getting from 1 fucking trailer... and not even a GOOD one at that. I think the style should look like a capcom game... with awesome hand drawn MVC2 kinds of animations. That would give this a fresh look, and NEW stages. That way it'll look fresh. But I think it'll just be some freaking port of sonic fucking 1...... and THAT'll be BORING. Hell ANY ports would be kindof lame at this point. I'm not buying into the hype it's gonna be new and all that.... seeing as people who ONLY want to relive their sega days are the ones sega is TRYING to please. ( which is a FAILED logic imho) Oh well. And yes... I've been with the series since sonic in 1991.... I just think going back to that is pointless.

• Bad Quality Post 1

It's insane the amount of buzz this is getting from 1 fucking trailer... and not even a GOOD one at that. I think the style should look like a capcom game... with awesome hand drawn MVC2 kinds of animations. That would give this a fresh look, and NEW stages. That way it'll look fresh. But I think it'll just be some freaking port of sonic fucking 1...... and THAT'll be BORING. Hell ANY ports would be kindof lame at this point. I'm not buying into the hype it's gonna be new and all that.... seeing as people who ONLY want to relive their sega days are the ones sega is TRYING to please. ( which is a FAILED logic imho) Oh well. And yes... I've been with the series since sonic in 1991.... I just think going back to that is pointless.

With some of the post I agree with, but with the bold part no. People are already going to hate the game, for whatever reasons, but going off another teams style isn't going to help. They should try a different style, something they haven't tried before with the Sonic series. Like adding an Adventure/RPG element to the series.

With some of the post I agree with, but with the bold part no. People are already going to hate the game, for whatever reasons, but going off another teams style isn't going to help. They should try a different style, something they haven't tried before with the Sonic series. Like adding an Adventure/RPG element to the series.

Ah, I should've been clearer. when I mentioned something like a capcom game... I didn't mean steal their style. More like I think it'll be cool for it to be completely hand drawn... and Capcom was the only one I can think of for an example.( I blow. XD don't hurt me. * hides in a rock*) But I agree with your post as well. It NEEDS something fresh to even THINK of catching people off their seats and enjoying the game for what it is.... instead of living in the fucking past. XD Honestly... if people want to play sonic one.... play SONIC 1. DON'T cry to sega and hope they make sonic ONE again. I'm in agreement with you. It's the rest of the fans who are living in a past we CAN'T get back that pisses me off. :/ cause we all know...... playing sonic ONE or any overratted sega game from the 1990s will FIX the problems we have now. -.- ye-------ah.

And no.. I'm not yelling at you... the topic just leaves a horrible taste in my mouth. Hmmmm what kindof RPG elements were you thinking of? Upgradeable moves? different devices for the characters to wear? If tacked on right... that'll be AWESOME. =D

Edited by tinokunx

A download only title? Sounds about right. I'll bet fans will still claw at eachother about it.

Ah, I should've been clearer. when I mentioned something like a capcom game... I didn't mean steal their style. More like I think it'll be cool for it to be completely hand drawn... and Capcom was the only one I can think of for an example.( I blow. XD don't hurt me. * hides in a rock*) But I agree with your post as well. It NEEDS something fresh to even THINK of catching people off their seats and enjoying the game for what it is.... instead of living in the fucking past. XD Honestly... if people want to play sonic one.... play SONIC 1. DON'T cry to sega and hope they make sonic ONE again. I'm in agreement with you. It's the rest of the fans who are living in a past we CAN'T get back that pisses me off. :/ cause we all know...... playing sonic ONE or any overratted sega game from the 1990s will FIX the problems we have now. -.- ye-------ah.

I wouldn't say Capcom's a good example. All the 2D art in their recent games is still heavily dated in some form. I'd love a

game though. Could you imagine, gameplay that looked like this!

Also, I agree about not wanting another port. I've played Sonic 1 on almost every console and electronic device I own at some point. I want something that feels like a true sequel to the genesis games with modern graphics and not just the same levels with a new color palette.

PS: Wow, Lamont Racoon. Haven't seen you here in a long time.

I wouldn't say Capcom's a good example. All the 2D art in their recent games is still heavily dated in some form. I'd love a

game though. Could you imagine, gameplay that looked like this!

Also, I agree about not wanting another port. I've played Sonic 1 on almost every console and electronic device I own at some point. I want something that feels like a true sequel to the genesis games with modern graphics and not just the same levels with a new color palette.

PS: Wow, Lamont Racoon. Haven't seen you here in a long time.

Ok.. I stand corrected... that image would PWN in HD and moving..... I'll play that on looks alone. But it'll seriously kickass if it added something new like we both agree. =D

PSS: Yeah..... it's been a while... I blame afghan for this tho. >> I didn't think I would be remembered here. But YUP.. LR is back. =D

• Thumbs Up 1

What's with the mention of Sonic 1? I'd be happy if it played like that game, but just because it's classic-styled doesn't mean it won't be a modern game. Sonic CD plays like Sonic 1, would it be so bad to get a game like that at this point? But then Sonic CD added its own things to the basic run-and-jump formula. Whatever evolution on classic gameplay they choose to use will make this game what it is. Hopefully closer to the original formula.

What's with the mention of Sonic 1? I'd be happy if it played like that game, but just because it's classic-styled doesn't mean it won't be a modern game.

Playing a game like Sonic 1 would be pointless if a game like it already exists. Not to mention that Sonic 1 is completely dated compared to it's successors.

Sonic CD plays like Sonic 1, would it be so bad to get a game like that at this point? But then Sonic CD added its own things to the basic run-and-jump formula. Whatever evolution on classic gameplay they choose to use will make this game what it is. Hopefully closer to the original formula.

Sonic CD is probably the worst game of the Classics from where I stand. It really didn't appeal to me, and the special stages were crap.

Also, I doubt any evolution on the classic gameplay will be taken very well. Many will expect it to play exactly like the Classics with no new features, and I don't think they'd like it if it weren't along those exact lines.

EDIT: Also, long time no see, Lamont Raccoon.