Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

My my, I am so late. But whatever, I usually never have anything of value to add anyways.

I never was one of those "He's gotta be 2D to be good again" types... Heck, I couldn't stand Sonic Rush, Rush Adventure, or Advance 2-3. It's when the speed overpowered the platforming. But if this recaptures the magic of Sonic 1-3&K (and hopefully adds it's own twists along the way ), then color me excited.

My only gripe is a small one. I really do hope they don't go back to using Chubby black eyed sonic. I am really fond of his new appearance, and it seems like if this is his new, permanant appearance, that all post Sonic & Knuckles characters are getting the boot, and that is not cool. Of course, I doubt that's the case, or Mario and Sonic at the Winter Olympics would be an odd game to release the year before.

Anyhow, I don't think that logo is going to reflect how Sonic will look in this game. They used the "Classic Sonic" silhouette for years to represent the new Sonic.

I really do hope this is for the Wii as well, but either way, I'm trying to get a PS3 by the end of the year, so no problem either way.

I hope this is Segas answer to New Super Mario Bros, and more than one entry is made...

Yeah... New Super Mario Bros coming to the Wii... Bonk is making a comeback... and now this. Hopefully, it's going to be a good time to be a fan of the classics.

It's good to hear the website wasn't official. It would've been hard to get used to that "Nightmare Before Green Hill" style.

I was trying to remain optimistic about the designs, because I hadn't seen them in motion. But yeah, it was a bad choice.

I wouldn't be making that perspective, but they weren't multiplatform, so I am.

Well, I'm not. I go by the name of the game, not on which system it sold more on.

Anyways, there's reasons why some games have sold a truckload, and some games haven't. Sonic 2 sold because of marketing, because of the success of Sonic 1, and because of the name "Sonic." Also, because it's a damn fun game.

Just because it doesn't have marketing doesn't mean it won't sell, as evidenced by the previous games selling well with little to no marketing.

This new Sonic game will more than likely give SEGA the kind of sales it desires, if its as retro as currently advertised.

I never said it won't. :rolleyes:

Sonic Unlesahed wasn't too bad of a game.

But you were just talking down on 3D games a little while ago. Are you admiting that dimension aren't the problem?

It's going to sale a lot heavier on nostalgia, which is a powerful drive (see: Mario).

And I'm starting to feel that many will get too high off this nostalgia to see the reality of things. As good as this game may turn out to be, it may start clouding minds even further that 2D isn't the magical answer to solve the series 3D problems.

And Mario isn't running as heavily on nostalgia as many want Sonic to.

It's going to be on a main console, which is a bigger deal than a handheld. We shall see.

Okay?

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Wait.

WAIT.

Here's something.

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/09/09/needlem...ine-connection/

Do ya think...? The Retro Sonic engine?

No chance.

They only just stopped Taxman making comments about it in July, do you really believe they would have had the ability to concieve, design, plan, implement, fund and support something like a major mainstream game within a month. It is possible, but I seriously doubt it.

If anything, I remember 1UP quoting a Sega Press Release just before Unleashed was announced that SonicTeam were starting work on the next new major Sonic game. I believe this is the game they have been working on.

Edited by Hawkz

And for the record, I'll reiterate that I wrote that particular article purely as speculation--with a good bit tongue-in-cheek, just so people knew I wasn't taking myself that seriously.

I don't think it worked well.

If the game really is classicly styled, I'd love to see Jun Senoue take the helm of the music department again, like back in the Sonic 3&K days.

Also...I know this seems far fetched, but, 'You guys think there's a chance that this game will have musical themes? (Sonic's theme, Main theme etc.) Or even just an instrumental one?

'Probably thinking to much into this though.

Edited by Ferno

Well, I'm not. I go by the name of the game, not on which system it sold more on.

Just because it doesn't have marketing doesn't mean it won't sell, as evidenced by the previous games selling well with little to no marketing.

I never said it won't. :rolleyes:

But you were just talking down on 3D games a little while ago. Are you admiting that dimension aren't the problem?

The problem is Sonic Team can't make a critically-acclaimed 3D Sonic game anymore. I never intended to say the 3D dimension was bad -- The Adventure titles showcase otherwise. Personally, I enjoyed some of the Sonic levels in Unleashed, minus a few design flaws here and there. Sonic Team just apparently can't make games at the class of the Adventure titles anymore, so I feel that it's time for them to just dive down and put their development time into a 2D game.

They're obviously going to throw a lot more than what the Sonic Advance titles threw out.

A lot of us fans have dealt with poor game after poor game after poor game, and it gets pretty sickening after a while. It's great to see them go back to Sonic's home dimension, because a lot of us know there's a much higher chance of critical-acclaim, and gameplay to be enjoyed, in that dimension.

Edited by serpx

So finally old school fans got what their always complaining for. I thought the Genesis games were fun but I much rather be playing Adventure 2, 2006, or Unleashed.

I'm fine with a 2D game but personally I absolutley hate nostalgia except for maybe Godzilla but otherwise I like change. My major hope is that it will have 3D graphics preferably graphics like Unleashed had, for music I wouldn't mind it to have genesis-esque music but I'd prefer them to do what they do now and maybe have vocal themes like Ferno mentioned a post or two ago, maybe even an orchestral arrangement or two like Unleashed had or even orchestral arrangements of classic songs. It would also be nice to have more than Sonic, atleast Tails and Knuckles as playable.

So basically I'm not too excited about this but I just hope they stick to genesis for gameplay only and treat graphics, music, and story more like they do now... or better.

This game announcement ruined my day. I'm not trying to sound cynical, I'm just being honest. I love 3D Sonic for the stories... the characters... the personalites... and yes, the gameplay (for the most part).
We barely know anything about the game yet, let alone the series' future. All I can make of it is that it's just supposed to be something to appease nostalgia; I doubt the developers would want to make a dead end right here, especially considering how eager Sonic Team always is to switch up the series. For better or worse. But regardless, if you're looking for stories and character, I think there are plenty other franchises you can follow.

To me, going back to 2D makes it look like they've given up trying to build upon Sonic. What happened to the last decade of 3D games? Is that all out the window now? Maybe Sonic 2006 sorta failed. But think of all their efforts to give the fans what they wanted, from Sonic Adventure to Sonic Unleashed.
2D =/= regression. Look at Shadow Complex for example; Epic went from Gears of War to an old school Metroid clone. Was it 3D? Not very. Was it fun? Hell yeah. Just because this game is aiming to be more minimalist doesn't mean it'll be terrible. In fact, it'll most likely make it better for it.

Oh, and "Maybe, sorta" failed? Dude, Sonic 2006 was a total bomb. Most were able to overlook the faults of Heroes and even Shadow, but 06 almost single handedly created the schism in this fanbase. If you like it, fine; even I'll admit I liked it... somewhat, but that doesn't change the fact it was an utter mess.

Maybe if it weren't for the so called FANS, they wouldn't have to resort to knocking Sonic down and rebuilding him again. And hell - even now, as they finally give in and do what EVERYBODY HAS WANTED FOR THE LAST FUCKING DECADE, people are BITCHING AND MOANING more than ever!! What the fuck!?
Gotta agree with you there. I haven't seen as much explicit criticism towards Sonic as I've encountered today in ages, and only towards a game we know nothing about yet. I'm all for skepticism; that's all for the best really, especially considering Sonic's track record. But I can't see why they can't hold off the actual criticisms until we actually see... you know, SOMETHING. People just seem to treat the Sonic Cycle more as a natural law than an observed pattern.

Also, your post would be a thousand times more respectable if you took out the "so-called." Think what you will of the other fans, but that doesn't change the fact that they ARE fans. As much as the "bitching and moaning" annoys me, at least it shows they still care enough about the series to say something at all. And, hey, if it looks good and gets good reviews, I'm sure many of them will change their tune.

Sounds interesting, but what's the deal with it being called "Project Needlemouse"? I know that's what they were originally planning on calling Sonic, but it's not what he's called now. I really hope they change it to a Sonic title by release. Aside from that, I have no comments. May as well wait until a gameplay video is released before speculating anything. I'm going to try being more careful this time though. I saw way too much of Unleashed before its release.

Sounds interesting, but what's the deal with it being called "Project Needlemouse"? I know that's what they were originally planning on calling Sonic, but it's not what he's called now. I really hope they change it to a Sonic title by release. Aside from that, I have no comments. May as well wait until a gameplay video is released before speculating anything. I'm going to try being more careful this time though. I saw way too much of Unleashed before its release.

That's not the title's real name. It's obviously going to have "SONIC" in the title somewhere before release, if SEGA wants to maximize financial possibilities with this title.

One thing I'm really surprised about, is that the folks over at Sega were actually able to keep a tight lid on this, with no leaks or anything.

That's a pretty big accomplishment all in itself considering how much of Unleashed was leaked before it's official announcement. :lol:

@Link 451: It's the working title, like how Secret Rings was called "Sonic Wildfire" in it's development. Edit: Beaten.

Edited by Ferno

One thing I'm really surprised about, is that the folks over at Sega were actually able to keep a tight lid on this, with no leaks or anything.

That's a pretty big accomplishment all in itself considering how much of Unleashed was leaked before it's official announcement. :lol:

Yeah, considering their track record...

How do we know (or not) if this game is even in the vein of the genesis classics? Did somebody say it, because it could very easily follow the path set up by Sonic CD.

My memory is shot at the moment.

Hmm, not really sure what to think of this...

I always thought the 2D Sonics were highly overrated (not to say that they weren't great games!) so I'm kind of worried about this...Sega could easily screw it all up. On the other hand, I'm excited about this because, well, it's a new Sonic game that's coming out after Unleashed! Isn't that reason enough? XD

Anyway, all I hope is that they keep the current design of Sonic, if they switch back to the Sonic who basically was a fat blue sphere with twig-like arms and legs and black, empty eyes of doom (I'm joking about all that, the old design's fine) then I will be royally pissed off.

I wonder if this is the secret game Prope is working on. I know Yuji Naka said they wouldn't be going back to SEGA IP's, but companies lie all the time =P

LOL maybe I'm right, theres a countdown on Prope's page

http://prope.jp/index.html at least I think it's a countdown, says 6 right now.

naaah, probably not related, that would be too good to be true

Edited by ShadikatRawr
  • Bad Quality Post 1

The problem is Sonic Team can't make a critically-acclaimed 3D Sonic game anymore.

Yes they can. Unleashed would've been just that if they didn't have the Werehog put in, despite the American and European Sega divisions telling them not to.

A lot of us fans have dealt with poor game after poor game after poor game, and it gets pretty sickening after a while. It's great to see them go back to Sonic's home dimension, because a lot of us know there's a much higher chance of critical-acclaim, and gameplay to be enjoyed, in that dimension.

Well, I'm not trying to shoot anyone's hopes down for this game, but the logic that Sonic only works 2D when he can also work in 3D needs to be thrown out the window, because like I said already, it's not the dimensions that are the problem.

While it's been a while since we did get a game like this, it's really pushing logic even more backwards in regards to 3D Sonic.

Yes they can. Unleashed would've been just that if they didn't have the Werehog put in, despite the American and European Sega divisions telling them not to.

Well, I'm not trying to shoot anyone's hopes down for this game, but the logic that Sonic only works 2D when he can also work in 3D needs to be thrown out the window, because like I said already, it's not the dimensions that are the problem.

While it's been a while since we did get a game like this, it's really pushing logic even more backwards in regards to 3D Sonic.

I agree on that point, he can work in 3D. I still have hope for that. because it's proven -- but, you know, it's been almost a decade now, and enough is enough -- let's just go to something that we know works, rather than continuously tinkering around with something that people, in-the-end, more than likely will end up hating. Don't you agree that Sonic needs to be put back into a more positive light? For the sake of his future? Proven from the classic games, the Advance titles, and Sonic Rush, we know the 2D formula generally always works -- it's a safe road for the hedgehog, and I can't imagine what SEGA can do with a much greater budget than they've probably ever spent on a 2D Sonic game (if they're even throwing a huge budget on the game).

Sonic 06 could've theoretically been a good game if they put more resources into improving the quality of the gameplay, and fixing bugs. This can be said for all of the other "terrible" Sonic games that have released.

Edited by serpx

You know, looking at some of this stuff in the trailer, and other stuff popping up, I have a horrible feeling in my gut that this is a Sonic 1 remake.

Or people are making me think too hard, I dunno.

You know, looking at some of this stuff in the trailer, and other stuff popping up, I have a horrible feeling in my gut that this is a Sonic 1 remake.

Or people are making me think too hard, I dunno.

Well, think of it this way ... the trailer advertises it's an "all-new adventure."

How can a remake be an all-new adventure?

For that matter, you gotta admit that's an awfully flashy teaser if it's meant to be a remake of an existing game. Especially considering no others ever get that kind of treatment.