Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4

Aquaslash

I don't share any of the unease about the detail. Matter of fact, this is essentially exactly what I've wanted in a Sonic enemy since those damn Pawns took over. Old-style badnik, animal-themed, but (and this is what makes it better than the Genesis ones) actually looking like it is going to kill you.

Your post wins. Confession time: the first time I played a classic Sonic game, I ran right into the first badnik. :P

Ha ha ha ha ha. It would be really great if they worked this into the storyline so we could laugh at ourselves. If Eggman realized his recent schemes aren't working and he adopts a "back to basics" philosophy with Badniks and giant robot bosses. :lol:

Take note of the fact that when designing his various robots and badniks, Eggman is going back to looking to small, cute animals for inspiration, because hey, the standard mech didn't work.

And they are possibly the most successful and vicious ones of the lot >D

I'm still for my "Eggman changing the climate" story I came up with :-/.

That, or he resurrects an ancient god. Thats never been done!

Well, maybe once. Or twice. Or the last hundred times xD

(Actually, Chaos and Gaia are the only ones I can think of. He wasn't after Iblis/Mephiles/Solaris was he, or am I forgetting some other MotW?)

I like the new enemy design, it's a good mix of the classical "organic" style, and mechanical complexity. As for the original designs, I can imagine the only reason behind the simplistic concept art is so that it can translate well into tiny sprites, and the metallic look is down to the fact that the artists had an insatiable urge to slap a gradient on -everything-. You know, back when doing that kind of thing was cool. We're kind of past that phase now, and we can cram more detail into everything now, so... why not?

In all honesty, I preferred the older Badnik designs to the newer ones in some exceptions. The older Badnik designs makes me ponder the whole demented scientist aspect of Robotnik, because in short, there are living animals that pilot the robots that look like animals. If you think about the whole notion, this could be a lofty "God complex" of the mad scientist, that in some point in his mind, he wants to create and improve the design of nature or create it to see fit to his own image. It was never actually explained in the games why he uses the majority of animals in his robots compared to other methods; after all the walking bombs from Sonic 1 didn't have animals piloting them (or at least god, I hope not. That seems even too low for the man, but if it was, it could add a whole new level of childish morals and the unfeeling of, to his table,) and later he abandoned the plan for the most part in turn for internal energy components, rings and even seeds ( and perhaps his grandfather's Chaos Drives.)

Sure now, we can chalk up the reason why animals were placed into robots because it sets Sonic off, and it is a non-verbal way he can blow a raspberry the hedgehog's way on another incentive to spur him on to "play" with the Machiavellian madman, a reason to gambol rough. And another thing that now we are aware of the alternative energy sources, animals seem obsolete to use to commandeer the mechanical forces - that is unless it is one big joke Ivo pulled on the masses and wanted the animal kind to rise up against humans in an attempt of morbid satire of humankind's dominion, a small bit of fun while trying to seize control of the world ( which seems more like a plan that an addled Dr. Madden would enforce when he went 'el pollo loco'.)

Yes, the later games brought us some gems like the Egg Pawns ( I hear you in the back row groaning) which were made in the image of Eggy himself and flourished in different directions like the big Bowser's Koopa Troopas; actually in a whole, Heroes robot concepts were pretty decent in contrast to 06's (too serious for the man we know as madcap Robotnik, but does prove the man can be stoic when he sets his mind to something) and Unleashed ( a bit fun with bright flamboyant colors, but still they appear to be mundane and common, nothing that actually pops out at you, except for that little alarm clock-esque robot that turns into a flamethrower.)

This game actually makes me wonder if we will see a return to animals piloting robots and Robotnik prancing in that little fun yellow cape that he nabbed from the Mushroom Kingdom.

Take note of the fact that when designing his various robots and badniks, Eggman is going back to looking to small, cute animals for inspiration, because hey, the standard mech didn't work.

And they are possibly the most successful and vicious ones of the lot >D

Well, maybe once. Or twice. Or the last hundred times xD

(Actually, Chaos and Gaia are the only ones I can think of. He wasn't after Iblis/Mephiles/Solaris was he, or am I forgetting some other MotW?)

Technically, Eggman is at fault for three... no, four "Monsters of the Week." He was only trying to release two of them purposely, though. Gaia and Chaos. For Chaos, he basically released the monster to... well, reek chaos while he built up his army. Two other monsters, Gaia and Iblis, he wanted for energy sources to build Eggmanland (and he succeeded with Gaia). Iblis, he wasn't trying to technically release... he just wanted to harness the power of the eternal flame by using Mephiles, whom was able to control the power.

...actually, that flips things around a bit. I was thinking that Eggman accidentally released Iblis, but in truth, he's the one who released Mephiles. He shot Rouge out of the sky while she was holding the scepter. Sonic was the one who blew up the Egg Carrier that released Iblis.

As for the final monster of the week... technically the second one Eggman released... was Metal Sonic. Eggman powered up Metal Sonic and loosened his grip on MS's AI, and Metal Sonic then transformed himself into the next MOTW.

Whatever the case, despite being the cause of four, he only did try and release two of them.

As for the final monster of the week... technically the second one Eggman released... was Metal Sonic. Eggman powered up Metal Sonic and loosened his grip on MS's AI, and Metal Sonic then transformed himself into the next MOTW.

Whatever the case, despite being the cause of four, he only did try and release two of them.

Don't forget Shadow. He fits the MotW bill exactly for SA2, with Robotnik breaking into a military stronghold to access "The terrifying weapon sealed away 50 years ago..." who just happens to be a playable character this time.

AND Emerl's the "Dangerous ancient destroy-the-world monster of the week" in Battle; again, he just happens to be a playable one.

Bear in mind that Gerald did it with weaponised Artificial Chaoses and Nega does it to the Ifrit in Rivals 2, though. So the trait definitly runs in the family.

It really does seems to be sort of an obsession... maybe Eggman gets a Christmas morning-esque thrill when he releases these things. One of his hobbies must be running around and prematurely unearthing time capsules for the lulz.

...that might even be his rationale for the animal-powered badniks in the first place. They're like Kinder Surprises that try to murder you.

Edited by Octarine

It's not just monsters that Eggman's interested in, tho'; he'll go after any ancient (or at least pre-made) power source/weapon that he thinks he has a shot at controlling. The treasure of the Babylonians, the Jeweled Scepter/"Power of the Stars", the Eclipse Cannon, the Sol Emeralds, the gravity...things from Riders 2 (right? I never played that one), the Time Stones, the Chaos Rings, the Master Emerald, and of course the Chaos Emeralds that he's been after since day one.

I say this because I think a lot of people still haven't internalized it; the monster thing isn't anything new or surprising, it's just an extension of a trait that he's always had.

Edit: 1up says Sega's calling this game Sonic 4 internally.

Welp.

Edited by Diogenes

I actually hope "Sonic 4" is the final name. It'd be kinda cool. And it's not like only Capcom did it with MM9. What about Konami with Contra 4?

Still hoping this has 2D high-res sprites.

Biggest off-topic tangent ever, but BlazeyBakeneko's avatar caption made me do this:

eggstarchild.jpg

*shot a million times*

• Thumbs Up 3

I wouldn't want it to be called Sonic 4. I'm probably echoing what some others said here before, but that leans too much on the past.

I really want this to be a classic game, no doubt about that. But I also want it to be its own thing, maybe the start of something new.

I think Sonic 4 is lame, because this is not a Genesis game. I don't want to be told this is Sonic 4, I just want them to make a classic.

I wonder why Sega dropped "the Hedgehog" to begin with. Anyway I don't care what it's called as long as it's good. However I'd be kinda pissed if they called it Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and it ended up being an awful game.

Oh I forgot, if they do call it Sonic the Hedgehog 4 the box art or art if it is download only has to have Sonic holding 4 fingers up.

Edited by speedfreak

, the gravity...things from Riders 2 (right? I never played that one),

Actually, yes. He finds an Ark of the Cosmos in a meteor and cleverly uses its mysterious alien power stone to co-ordinate his central computer system.

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen

Title: Sonic Boom

There I said it.

Edited by Unholy Sønic

So, does anyone have any guesses when we'll next see some official information directly from Sega? Are there any events or shizz going on soon that I don't know about, XD? I'm just wondering since I'm getting pretty tired of checking this giant topic everyday, D;.

-Blur

So, does anyone have any guesses when we'll next see some official information directly from Sega? Are there any events or shizz going on soon that I don't know about, XD? I'm just wondering since I'm getting pretty tired of checking this giant topic everyday, D;.

-Blur

The day that you and I go to get married...which will be never >( >(. This topic is doomed to another 200+ pages that you will have to personally check through to do your mod doo-dees *evillaugh*.

The day that you and I go to get married...which will be never >( >(. This topic is doomed to another 200+ pages that you will have to personally check through to do your mod doo-dees *evillaugh*.

You say that now then sega surprises the world monday morning with REAL GAMEPLAY.

And on the name guessing thing....

SONIC

XTREME!! Yeah I said it. :P

*nuked*

-Blur

Well, E3 is in june.... so hopefully WAY beffor then. cuz i am sick of waiting as well ><

What happened to the Sonic 4ever idea? I liked that :-/

Edited by MarcelloF

My guess is real info won't emerge until after All Stars Racing is out. As I've said before, they might make Sonic more classic looking for Needlemouse, revealing it this early would make ASR Sonic look like a sort of lame duck Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

My guess is real info won't emerge until after All Stars Racing is out. As I've said before, they might make Sonic more classic looking for Needlemouse, revealing it this early would make ASR Sonic look like a sort of lame duck Sonic.

I agree actually. makes sense for them to hold it off, wouldn't want to cannibalize sales for ASR, which is also playing the nostalgia angle

They'll most likely wait until a few weeks after SaSAR is released. Although, I am curious if anything ever came from the quote in the Official Xbox Magazine.

"The Rightful King Shall Return?: Sega has been teasing a game codenamed Project Needlemouse, which may or may not be a new 2D Sonic. Tune in next issue." - OXM

I don't buy magazines so I''ve no idea.