Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

People focusing on kit but no one realising this means that starline’s big operation remaster project gets defeated in one issue?

Yea, flipping so quickly back to the status quo of Sonic vs. Eggman after all of that buildup would be disappointing.

Hope there's more than what we're seeing here.

5 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

People focusing on kit but no one realising this means that starline’s big operation remaster project gets defeated in one issue?

He already blew Kit and Surge being loyal to him in under three issues. Par for the course for him.

• Thumbs Up 2

46 minutes ago, Razule said:

He already blew Kit and Surge being loyal to him in under three issues. Par for the course for him.

The miniseries isn’t over yet and while I hope otherwise, there is still a chance he takes back control

• Thumbs Up 2

25 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

The miniseries isn’t over yet and while I hope otherwise, there is still a chance he takes back control

Oh, crap, it's been so long I forgot it was still going, lol.

• Thumbs Up 3

So I’m gonna hope that Surge is sticking around as a villain. Sonic needs more females in his rogues gallery.

1 hour ago, Johnny Boy said:

So I’m gonna hope that Surge is sticking around as a villain. Sonic needs more females in his rogues gallery.

Ian said apparently

Spoiler

He wants to keep both Surge and Kit as villains, probably going by the direction, independent from Starline

• Thumbs Up 4

Sorry to be a bit off topic, but Jack Lawrence (one of IDW's artists) has just announced he's going to be at the Wales Comic Con in December (3rd and 4th).

Carry on...

#49 is out on Amazon. Personally: I really enjoyed it. I think this is the first Evan Stanley issue I would call outright great. Easily Belle's best issue as well. There may not be much in terms of "plot", but what we have here is entertaining and intriguing, has a great surprisingly tense action scene, we get some real emotion, and you can feel the stakes raising for issue #50. So yeah, this was very much a real highlight for me. More of this please.

Issue #49

Spoiler

There are two ways to look at this issue. One as an extension of Belle's character arc, and the other as a lead in to Sonic's encounter with Surge/Kit.

It succeeds in the former, but it doesn't really make me interested in the latter.

I did like Belle getting some backbone and refuses to be a pawn for Eggman. Ita also nice that she got a little bit of closure from Tinker.

Besides that...not much happened. Not even a cliffhanger of Sonic meeting Surge. So I'm left a little ambivalent as a result. It's my usual feelings about IDW and feeling "yea, that was alright".

Issue 49 finally here. It's pretty good.... still not perfect.

Just get the grievances first. I still feel like Evan is trying to hard to make us like Belle. Rather than make her a fun character, she's just drowning in glum till we like her. Like, all Zombot stuff was heartbreaking, but imagine it was happening to characters you barely know, it wouldn't have the same impact.

To quote a classic "The following things do not make a character deep or compelling. 1. Getting hurt a lot. (...) 2. Being sad. 3. Doing morally questionable things. And we might as well tack on 4. Being a member of a minority, (...) What does matter is that characters at least be interesting to watch"
(I also have comparison to certain Adventure Time character, but I think you get the idea).

Now, with all of that said, Belle  does seems to grow a little, which seems to be a step in right direction. Controlled Belle was surprisingly a little creepy. And emotional scenes did got a little to me.

Lastly I about next issue i theorize that

Spoiler

based on colors and sectors of Starline's base, I wonder if he's doing something with Chaos Emeralds.

Like maybe his whole base will charge Surge to go Super in a way that won't work for Sonic?

Also, from which game are those badniks from first pages? I know, my Sonic nerd rep is ruined. But I can't recall them at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Lastly, from which game are those badniks from first pages? I know, my Sonic nerd rep is ruined. But I can't recall them at all.

Sonic Advance 3.

Some of them are the Mini Motobugs from Route 99 Zone & the Penguin Badniks from the Twinkle Snow Zone

We also have another sweet Issue #50 Cover Variant by ABT

Spoiler

FRWq5IYXMAEcWo2?format=jpg&name=large

There's something familiar about this but I can't quite put my finger on it...

• Thumbs Up 4

Not sure if you'd consider this a spoiler but...

We have a fleetway sonic comic reference..

Spoiler

Click the tweet to see all 3 images if SSMB only shows the 1.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

We also have another sweet Issue #50 Cover Variant by ABT

Hide contents

FRWq5IYXMAEcWo2?format=jpg&name=large

There's something familiar about this but I can't quite put my finger on it...

20220427_114015.jpg.1a634eaaab59af98a55d70aadf55d5b3.jpg

You're probably thinking about this 

• Thumbs Up 2

Slightly confused. That Cover C has the price of the issue being $7.99, whilst Covers A and E have the price at $3.99. Is it normal for a variant cover to have a higher retail price or could this be a sign issue 50 could be double length or something?

Just now, Silvereyes said:

Slightly confused. That Cover C has the price of the issue being $7.99, whilst Covers A and E have the price at $3.99. Is it normal for a variant cover to have a higher retail price or could this be a sign issue 50 could be double length or something?

Variant Covers are usually more expensive than the A Covers.

Other Comics have Variants that go up to $20 or more

• Thumbs Up 2

Thanks, makes sense. Also just realised, #50's release date is June 22nd, one day before the 31st anniversary. That would be cool if they are able to hit that deadline. Imposter Syndrome #4 is May 11th. And I have basically no idea when the FCBD 2022 issue is meant to drop, hard to find any info about it online. Apparently it was 2 days agos on April 25th but I can't seem to find anyone acknowledging it?

As a side note, looking at the wiki, IDW released another one shot for some early screenings of Sonic 2. Basically just a reprint issue but has a unique cover by Nathalie Fourdraine. Don't believe anyone has shared that yet.

IDWSonicMovieCover.webp

• Thumbs Up 3

I have strong feelings about IDW Sonic #49.

Spoiler

Mr. Tinker's letter to Belle was really heartwrenching. Seeing him know that he's about to turn back into Eggman, and desperately sending one final message of love for his daughter - it got me right in the heart, man.

I think Tinker really is an interesting look at the kind of life Eggman could have had.

It's been an interesting way to imply some hidden depths to Eggman's character (since Eggman's subconscious had to create the "Mr. Tinker" persona when he got amnesia) without reforming him outright or making him any less of a present threat as a villain.

Somewhere, deep down, there's this small smidge of empathy and compassion in Eggman's messed-up villainous heart that - for a brief, shining moment - got to come to the forefront and guide his actions. That part of him still exists, but it probably won't ever surface again, which is the real tragedy.

Eggman's not some psychopath who's incapable of love. He's totally capable of love; He's just suppressed it underneath layers of supervillainy and dogged determination to rule the world at all costs, perhaps even the cost of his own humanity.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Way Past Cool 1

Issue #49

Spoiler

Mr. TINKEEEEERRRR! NOOOOOO! HE DIED FOR OUR SINS BUT HE DID NOT RISE ON THE THIRD DAY! THAT'S FALSE ADVERTISING!

It was pretty good. I'm always a sucker for a good, creepy, night time atmosphere. Something's creepin' at ya through the woods...!

Also, the mental image of Sonic almost getting an exacto-knife to his huge eyes makes me flinch. 

I also really like "Barely-Awake Tails" swaying and calling him Sornnnnngh.

• Thumbs Up 7