Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Finally got around to reading Imposter Syndrome #3.

Spoiler

I'm actually really starting to like Kit and Surge as villains, they got a pretty interesting backstory and motivation that I honestly wasn't expecting, and I think it opens a lot of possibilities for how Ian wants to take them as characters. Seeing what Starline has done to them and put them through, and the confirmation that they were actual people, like Androids 17 and 18 before everything went down does a massive ton to make them interesting and sympathetic, as well as make their motivations believable.

On the other hand, I just cannot help but mention the fact that Mr. Introspective Scientist who will use both introspection and revision to usurp Eggman still decides to record each and every single facet of his plans after that exact same thing screwed him over in Bad Guys (and was just as laughably idiotic there as it is here), but that he not only does this knowing that there's a genius support member on his team who is more than capable of hacking his systems, but this has also apparently happened numerous times before. You can argue that he doesn't care because he thinks his hypnosis will always work, but why would someone so ''introspective'' keep taking that risk? We now see the results of Starline being so absolutely stupid when knowing full-well what he should be doing.

I cannot get over how it's nuts that we're this far along the game and yet Starline's still doing this shit. I cannot wait to see Surge and Kit take him down lol, especially after they revealed all the stuff that Starline did to them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I like how Starline was upset at Eggman underestimating his creation (the Metal Virus) only to do the same with Surge and Kit. It's very fitting.

• Thumbs Up 2

As the old saying goes: “Pride goeth before a fall.”

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

The retail incentive cover is so much better than the main one. Why would they make it so bland, especially for a milestone issue?

Guessing because it is Yui Karasuno of Sonic Team drawing it. She also did Cover A for the 30th Anniversary issue and the 2020 Annual. Personally, I like it. That and Nathalie Fourdraine has done the RI/RI-A cover for every main issue of Sonic for all 50 issues now, which is actually pretty astonishing.

According to the wiki, apparently Evan Stanley is doing Cover B for #50, and Tyson Hesse is doing the RI-B Cover for #50.

3 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Who would be the best voice actors for Surge & Kit?

From the top of my head:

Either Lori Petty or Britt Baron for Surge and James Arnold Taylor for Kit.

16 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

We have another Cover for #49

Hide contents

FOfFdvwXIAYBLLP?format=jpg&name=large

Uh oh

Spoiler

I guess Belle is affected too...

4 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

We have another Cover for #49

Hide contents

FOfFdvwXIAYBLLP?format=jpg&name=large

Uh oh

Spoiler

Belle looks really eerie here.

13 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I guess Belle is affected too...

That doesn't bode well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 2 Pre-Quill is out, anyone read it? if not, I thiiiink I would suggest reading it after movie.

It's 5 stories, none of them really that great. I think I would prefer to meet Tails and Knuckles more "properly" first.

Sonic is full length and arguably best. It's just light-hearted filler about Sonic stopping robbery. Jokes are kinda cheesy, but it's simple complete story

Everyone else gets 5 pager.

Stone story shows how he prepares for Eggman return. It would be fine, but lacks his charisma from the movie.

Knuckles gets captured, forced to fight in arena, escapes.
Tails is barely a story. It just him speeding through zones.
Both stories are rushed and vague to not spoil anything. But I guess we learn one or two interesting trivia about movie Zones.

Eggman is about him surviving in Mushroom Hills. He gets few okay lines.

So yeah, they kinda just there. Not terrible, but don't really hype me that much for a movie. Art on humans doesn't feel great. Mobians are better but I feel like every single artist is more comfortable with main book.

I had to do a double-take when I saw the art Tracy Yardley did for the book. Dude's ability to draw realistic human characters has improved dramatically over the years. His Jim Carrey Robotnik was spot on.

• Thumbs Up 1

Thought it was alright, but it doesn't really hold my interest. Probably due to how limited the book is due to it being sandwiched between the 2 movies and how few things they could do. All 5 stories are written by the same guy, Kiel Phegley, who also has done the official novelisations for the 2 movies, as well as 2 Sonic kids books. Would of liked to see maybe some other writers like Ian Flynn come in and contribute in a way, even if just for one story, like what the annual issues did. Guess if you care about the Sonic Movie Universe, this is probably a bit more rewarding, but for me who doesn't really care that much, it does feel like fluff. Probably my second least favourite IDW issue, only the Team Sonic Racing tie-in is worse for me.

In terms of the next releases, we've got:

13th April: FCBD 2022.

27th April: Sonic #49.

11th May: Imposter #4

22nd June: Sonic #50.

If those release date sticks that is 4 issues in the span of 6 weeks, then a wait until #50. And as an aside, apparently Sonic #50 is going to have 8 variant covers now. Looks like #50 is getting some hype for it but also going to be a big pain for collectors. It is like issue #1 all over again.

The artists for the covers are:

Yui Karasuno (cover A)

Evan Stanley (cover B)

Jonathan Gray (cover C)

Adam Bryce Thomas (cover D)

Nibroc.Rock (cover E)

Thomas Rothlisberger (cover F)

Nathalie Fourdraine (cover RI-A)

Tyson Hesse (cover RI-B)

Did anyone see...

Spoiler

Vector and Espio in the third story?

also

Spoiler

DON'T! INSULT! STONE'S! LATTES! 

Pre-quill was one of my favorite things I have seen from IDW in a long while. I love the look at Agent Stone , Sonic just getting to do superheroics, and Robotnik being funny yet menacing.

I may be biased towards the film though.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/30/2022 at 11:33 AM, PC the Hedgehog said:

I had to do a double-take when I saw the art Tracy Yardley did for the book. Dude's ability to draw realistic human characters has improved dramatically over the years. His Jim Carrey Robotnik was spot on.

I've only seen panels but its oddly surreal seeing him draw realistic. Makes me bummed IDW is losing Transformers because I think he would kill on that.

• Thumbs Up 4

On 3/30/2022 at 11:15 PM, Zulon Eredas said:

Did anyone see...

Reveal hidden contents

also

Hide contents

Spoiler

Yes. Vector is gambling of course. 😆

On 3/30/2022 at 5:15 PM, Zulon Eredas said:

Did anyone see...

Reveal hidden contents

also

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

Charmy's there as well, you can see his little bug antennas sticking out from behinf a table to the left.

Enjoyed the pre quill and they had one of the lizard warriors from the original version of the first movie before the redesign

• Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Enjoyed the pre quill and they had one of the lizard warriors from the original version of the first movie before the redesign

It was neat to see Rava in this. He was going to be a major villain in early drafts of the first movie. The road not taken.

6 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

It was neat to see Rava in this. He was going to be a major villain in early drafts of the first movie. The road not taken.

Wasn't Rava just supposed to be what the Knuckles Clan were? An excuse to get Sonic to Earth?

19 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Wasn't Rava just supposed to be what the Knuckles Clan were? An excuse to get Sonic to Earth?

If I remember correctly, one of the writers said that they had at one point a scene with him coming to earth and attack/destroy a government/military installation or something like that. I think it was one of the early pg-13 drafts. 

With all the movie hype I kinda lost track of the main IDW release schedule. Kinda disappointed issue 49 is releasing later but on the plus side (assuming no more delays…) Imposter Syndrome 4 is only a couple of weeks behind it. Then we finally get to issue 50 and back to the main series each month(-ish) again.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, caitash said:

and back to the main series each month(-ish) again.

That in of itself is going to be a massive win. The series has kinda stalled to a standstill thanks to the alternating series.

As much as I like giving other characters room to shine in these mini-series, that shouldn't come as a detraction to the main book. It should be a little extra on the side, not an impediment to progress.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

That in of itself is going to be a massive win. The series has kinda stalled to a standstill thanks to the alternating series.

As much as I like giving other characters room to shine in these mini-series, that shouldn't come as a detraction to the main book. It should be a little extra on the side, not an impediment to progress.

Yeah, I think (maybe? Memory is a bit foggy now) the Tangle & Whisper miniseries ran alongside the main series without interrupting the schedule. Though with retrospect, Evan was clearly also going to be working on the Movie 2 Pre-Quill, and Ian was also involved in Frontiers, so it could have been a tactical switch to alternate between the two so everyone had time to get it all done without something crunching. I’m just glad we’re coming to the end of it now, I’ve loved seeing Surge and Kit’s story but it came at the cost of the main series. Not helped by me just not getting properly into the Trial By Fire arc so it felt like it dragged on even longer.