Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Oh shit, I just noticed the price. This must be a double sized issue. 

I actually thought it'd be a regular one. Now I'm even more excited. 

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Another smashing Variant Cover for #50

Reveal hidden contents

FReeU7TVcAEWfJE?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Insert Kamen Rider Ryuki opening meme here. 

The comment section of the tweet is basically full of

Spoiler

rip Starline, I mean even the synopsis for issue 50 teases a big showdown as the Empire throne is not enough for both Eggman and Starline. That flashback page at the beginning, plus Surge and Kit's plan, as well as Ian saying this is basically the android saga. It all ties so well at this point the real twist is if Starline is still alive by the end of issue 50.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

The comment section of the tweet is basically full of

Hide contents

rip Starline, I mean even the synopsis for issue 50 teases a big showdown as the Empire throne is not enough for both Eggman and Starline. That flashback page at the beginning, plus Surge and Kit's plan, as well as Ian saying this is basically the android saga. It all ties so well at this point the real twist is if Starline is still alive by the end of issue 50.

Ok.. 

I re read 49 and this time without the disappointment of it being short as usual, I genuinely enjoyed it. Belle finally has some balls as part of her character development.

I just thought her character came off as insecure more than anything, which is why she was relatable in my opinion, even with her being so goofy and not much of an action character compared to Tangle and Whisper who are so cool, independent and with awesome powers/weapons.

Although the comic does a great job with arcs for characters like Belle, Tangle, Starline, I really wish at this point they used the game cast more, Shadow, Knuckles, Blaze etc. I miss them.

Spoiler

Wait...is the city we see in the background of the Main IS Covers the same one we see in #49?

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:
  Hide contents

Wait...is the city we see in the background of the Main IS Covers the same one we see in #49?

Not really, the one in 49 wasn't designed yet when I was drawing those covers and the visuals they'll be going for are, imo, fairly different looking.

EDIT: I just like cities man

• Thumbs Up 2

Hey, I got a question. Now that we got a somewhat decent size sample: what are the main differences in Flynn Vs Stanley writing?

In my opinion differences are subtle and I could easily mistake one for the other. But broadly speaking

Ian Flynn
- is a little funnier
- leans more into action
- his story structure is more straightforward, aiming for decompressed storytelling

Evan Stanley
- is more atmospheric
- likes mysteries
- and thus, her stories feel more complex, trying to squeeze few plotlines in one story.

(And to quickly mention Aleah Baker, she wrote very few stories, but they all were very emotional)

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/29/2022 at 5:57 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh shit, I just noticed the price. This must be a double sized issue. 

I actually thought it'd be a regular one. Now I'm even more excited. 

I’m waiting on official confirmation of the page count, some of the issue 50 covers already unveiled have $3.99 and the latest one has $7.99. I’m hoping that it’s a longer issue though! :)

45 minutes ago, caitash said:

I’m waiting on official confirmation of the page count, some of the issue 50 covers already unveiled have $3.99 and the latest one has $7.99. I’m hoping that it’s a longer issue though! :)

It is longer I think, newer covers have the updated price too and it's 8 dollars.

• Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

It is longer I think, newer covers have the updated price too and it's 8 dollars.

Awesome, commencing hype then XD

According to IDW's own site, base price seems to be $7.99, and they list it having 48 pages. (Although they show Cover A which still shows the $3.99 price tag.) Previous issues are listed as having 30 or 32 pages, so I'm guessing that includes stuff like letter pages? Hopefully get some confirmation fairly soon.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/8188

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/30/2022 at 10:15 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hey, I got a question. Now that we got a somewhat decent size sample: what are the main differences in Flynn Vs Stanley writing?

In my opinion differences are subtle and I could easily mistake one for the other. But broadly speaking

Ian Flynn
- is a little funnier
- leans more into action
- his story structure is more straightforward, aiming for decompressed storytelling

Evan Stanley
- is more atmospheric
- likes mysteries
- and thus, her stories feel more complex, trying to squeeze few plotlines in one story.

(And to quickly mention Aleah Baker, she wrote very few stories, but they all were very emotional)

The only big mystery Evan's done was Belle, where the answer was apparent the minute she appeared.

13 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

According to IDW's own site, base price seems to be $7.99, and they list it having 48 pages. (Although they show Cover A which still shows the $3.99 price tag.) Previous issues are listed as having 30 or 32 pages, so I'm guessing that includes stuff like letter pages? Hopefully get some confirmation fairly soon.

https://www.idwpublishing.com/product/8188

This is when we find out that all those extra pages are because there are so many cover variants that they print at the back of the issue :D 

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

The only big mystery Evan's done was Belle, where the answer was apparent the minute she appeared.

- Her own comic "Ghost of the Future" is brimming with mysteries.
- Archie's Silver Age ended with dozen of questions regarding future, Gold, Second Devourer, Council.
- "Chao Races" had a mystery hooded person running around with strange powers. Even once we learned it's Starline, we still didn't knew why he wanted Tails. On top of Belle.
- "Test Run" whole premise is "ooh a mystery tower".
- "Trial by Fire" had a mysterious friendly badnik, on top of Surge and Kit running in the background.
- We still don't know what the "Project Remaster" is, but Flynn told us more than Stanley, and she's the main writer.

Enough for you? Compare it to Bad Guys or Zeti Hunt, where Flynn has everything constantly clearly told to us. Flynn's biggest mystery in IDW was Chairman's identity (Neo). Compare it Starline in Chao Races.
Flynn asks: who is the mystery villain? And later "why he looks like Eggman"? Took 7 issues.
Stanley asks: who is he? What he wants? Why kidnap Rouge? What are his powers? All in one issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

We have a Online Exclusive Cover for IS#4

FRxcCgdXsAA4qm_?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It looks good, but it's really boring as a cover. It doesn't really say anything other than "These characters are in this"

I picked up the FCBD issue.

It's alright. Nothing really to write home about, although Sonic and Tails did get to have the Hydrocity/Hydro City debate.

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, it was definitely a bland FCBD issue this year. Incredibly by-the-numbers Sonic/Tails/Knuckles vs. Eggman mech fight, no doubt to have some connection to the movie. Most of the book is actually just a typical summary of the series thus far with captions over panels from past issues.

I am glad Knuckles was in it but I definitely want him in the main book now, it's long overdue.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

I am glad Knuckles was in it but I definitely want him in the main book now, it's long overdue.

Yeah, even when he was in the main book he only did maybe three things. 

1) Fight Rough & Tumble

2) Take the Master Emerald from Metal Overlord

3) Try to fight Metal Virus Shadow

I like how in the BumbleKast that on a scale 1 to 10 that Surge would be like a 14 for cursing rofl. I honestly would get a kick out of her going off all the time for a bit as long as its not overdone.

A small preview from IDW's Twitter

Spoiler

FSbBFi7XwAALm8V?format=jpg&name=large

Strange, isn't it?!

• Thumbs Up 1