Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Really makes you wonder what Archie was doing to promote Sonic? They never made a major push beyond specials like Worlds Collide and Unite, did they?

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Really makes you wonder what Archie was doing to promote Sonic? They never made a major push beyond specials like Worlds Collide and Unite, did they?

There was that Sabrina the Teenage Witch crossover..?

There was a nice Archie comic cover gallery in Sonic Mega Collection (I think that is the right one)

EDIT

Also Secret Rings shipped w a bonus disc that had a comic adaption tie in

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

There was that Sabrina the Teenage Witch crossover..?

I meant more in the series later years, during Ian’s lead.

That Sabrina cross over was during the era Sonic’s popularity was at his peak.

1 hour ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

I don't think that Archie promoted their comics that often back then.  The only way most people would know about Archie Comics at the time is if they bought an issue at a grocery store or something like that.

8 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I looked up Sonic's sales  on the comichron.com . It's not a full-proof data, but gives a comparison point.

They have numbers till March 2020,  so we don't know if Covid had any effect on anything, nor how Bad Guys did. With that said.
- Between #14 and #27 sales lowered from 11K to slightly below 10K
- BUT IDW Sonic still sells way better than Archie Sonic did, ignoring few special occasions, like crossovers.)
- Plus, we're still 2nd best selling IDW tittle, after TMNT (and occasional new series, you know how First Issue grabs numbers).

Sonic comics sell that bad? 11k is pathetic imo

2 minutes ago, dudebro1993 said:

Sonic comics sell that bad? 11k is pathetic imo

Comic books in general sell bad nowadays. It only gets worse every year.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea how accurate those numbers are. For example they might not include Digital.

Personally I use those numbers only to compare stuff, IDW Sonic Vs Archie, Vs other tittles, Vs himself year ago, etc.

2 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Really makes you wonder what Archie was doing to promote Sonic?

They promoted their stuff ON him.

I will never forgive them that last Sonic issue had "Riverdale" commercial slapped on front.

• Thumbs Up 3

They don't include digital, and only include the "direct market", basically issues sold via Diamond in comic-book shops (and newstand maybe ?). They don't give an absolute readership of the base, but are good to have some estimation of how well they sell compared to each other (even of the ration of the different type of sales can change with time, for instance I wouldn't be surprised that there is more people buying it digitally than before, especially for people outside of USA buying them).

So for what I've seen 11k isn't really that bad numbers, especially for something not Marvel/DC.

• Thumbs Up 7

I must admit, another thing I don't understand, is why the Sonic Twitter doesn't promote the comic more. You'd think they'd make an effort when there isn't that much else going on right now while we wait for Sonic Movie 2, Sonic Prime, and Sonic Frontiers to come out of the dark. Last time they mentioned the comic was 6 months ago about issue #39. I mean, I know they don't *have* too, but you'd think it make sense to tweet out once a month about the latest IDW issue.

• Thumbs Up 6

11 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I looked up Sonic's sales  on the comichron.com . It's not a full-proof data, but gives a comparison point.

They have numbers till March 2020,  so we don't know if Covid had any effect on anything, nor how Bad Guys did. With that said.
- Between #14 and #27 sales lowered from 11K to slightly below 10K
- BUT IDW Sonic still sells way better than Archie Sonic did, ignoring few special occasions, like crossovers.)
- Plus, we're still 2nd best selling IDW tittle, after TMNT (and occasional new series, you know how First Issue grabs numbers).

I'm surprised we're doing better than Transformers. i expect sales to rise further with the upcoming movie, Netflix series, and open world game. Also, i remember hearing Bad Guys sold better than the main series did.

1 hour ago, Kazhnuz said:

They don't include digital, and only include the "direct market", basically issues sold via Diamond in comic-book shops (and newstand maybe ?). They don't give an absolute readership of the base, but are good to have some estimation of how well they sell compared to each other (even of the ration of the different type of sales can change with time, for instance I wouldn't be surprised that there is more people buying it digitally than before, especially for people outside of USA buying them).

So for what I've seen 11k isn't really that bad numbers, especially for something not Marvel/DC.

it wouldn't include trades or The IDW Collection either, which are how I get the comics.

Amazon's product details ranked Sonic the Hedgehog Volume One as:

40 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

I must admit, another thing I don't understand, is why the Sonic Twitter doesn't promote the comic more. You'd think they'd make an effort when there isn't that much else going on right now while we wait for Sonic Movie 2, Sonic Prime, and Sonic Frontiers to come out of the dark. Last time they mentioned the comic was 6 months ago about issue #39. I mean, I know they don't *have* too, but you'd think it make sense to tweet out once a month about the latest IDW issue.

Promoting comic books is taboo. They are to be seen, not heard of. ..or at least, that's how I assume these companies think, I don't get it either.  

14 minutes ago, Razule said:

Promoting comic books is taboo. They are to be seen, not heard of. ..or at least, that's how I assume these companies think, I don't get it either.  

But the comic book industry would have been in a better place if they just promoted their materials a bit more often.

On 11/19/2021 at 10:24 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

A lot of people seems to think Kit will eventually turn against Surge. Personally I expect opposite, that she will learn to be nicer to him.

I mean, she's the only thing he has.

That! I thought I was the only one thinking that way!

Considering they are meant to be a dark parallel of the classic duo (Sonic and Tails) I expect them to develop into.... well, the actual dark parallel of Sonic and Tails.

...that and I don't think Kit has enough beef to be his own character. But I may be totally wrong :).

P.S: I see that a lot of people didn't like "Kitsunami" as a name, I am the only one to think the idea beyond it is absolute genius? I mean "Kitsune" + "Tsunami" for a fox-look-a-like that control water. Not to mention the call back to "Miles Prower".

Ah, a proper Chaotix story! 

Hey, the Skunk Bros ARE coming back! I was wondering if that mention of troublemakers was a nod to them.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 11/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, Razule said:

Comic books in general sell bad nowadays. It only gets worse every year.

Yeah 11K is pretty good here. Sonic is also one of IDW's top sellers from what I've heard. 

• Thumbs Up 2

The IDW comics are also above the water mark set in the Archie days, which is the single, most-relevant data point we can possibly compare it to.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm kind of glad the series is shifting focus to the secondary characters somewhat, especially the ones who barely any attention to begin with. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, you all know my head did the Scanners.gif thing out of sheer joy when I saw this solicit so I'm not sure I even need to chime in with what I think about it. 

25 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I'm kind of glad the series is shifting focus to the secondary characters somewhat, especially the ones who barely any attention to begin with. 

It's great that we are getting a Chaotix focused story in this series.  Maybe the other secondary characters will get their time to shine later on.

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

My only major complaint with the comic before now is the large focus on new protagonists. I'm starting to see that shift as well.

47 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

My only major complaint with the comic before now is the large focus on new protagonists. I'm starting to see that shift as well.

Oh yeah.  It seemed like that for the past few issues, it's been focusing too much on the new characters and not enough on the game characters themselves.  It seems like things are starting to shift, which is a good thing.

• Thumbs Up 1