Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

18 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Do you think Surge and/or Kit have a Super Form?

I think anyone has a super form and that the "Male Hedgehog Rule" is just a guideline that been repeatedly ignored.

5 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

God.

That's is some top tier Sonic character naming right there. The pun work is so on point it hurts. Its inspired.

I'm sold on these two. Take my money.

Surge and Kit = Surgeon Kit

Their names are multilayered 

• Thumbs Up 7

20 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I think anyone has a super form and that the "Male Hedgehog Rule" is just a guideline that been repeatedly ignored.

It really hasn't given nobody but Hedgehogs have gone Super with the exception of Blaze.

42 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Do you think Surge and/or Kit have a Super Form?

Kit? Probably not. I don't see why Surge wouldn't be able to. If she can't I'm sure Ian will talk about why at some point and we'll find out how literal that "Only male hedgehogs can go super" stuff is.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

It really hasn't given nobody but Hedgehogs have gone Super with the exception of Blaze.

Super Knuckles

Super Tails

Super Mighty

Super Ray

Super Metal Sonic

Does the Super Chao from the Chao In Space short count?

11 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Super Knuckles

Super Tails

Super Mighty

Super Ray

Super Metal Sonic

Does the Super Chao from the Chao In Space short count?

My dude, why do you keep doing this? You already know that Mania is a deliberate throwback and has no bearing on the modern branch at all, yet you still bring it up as if you're proving a point. Stop.

And Metal is a male Hedgehog even if he's a robot 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

My dude, why do you keep doing this? You already know that Mania is a deliberate throwback and has no bearing on the modern branch at all, yet you still bring it up as if you're proving a point. Stop.

And Metal is a male Hedgehog even if he's a robot 

Have I done this repeatedly? If so I apologize, but the point is that even if it's a throwback, it still ignored the rules. They didn't even have to give Tails a super form since he wasn't able to reach one without the Super Emeralds in Sonic 3. If the rules were as impactful as some seem to believe, there's nothing stopping them from not letting Mighty and Ray get the Emeralds, or giving everyone super shields.

As for Metal, he's male, yeah I'll give you that, but he only vaguely resembles a hedgehog, and he's not descried as one. Sonic even mentions how "hedgehogs don't turn into giant metal dragons".

The point isn't if Mania is canon. After all, the Chao example I mentioned is in a dream. It's about Sega approving the portrayal of non-hedgehogs gaining super forms if it's beneficial to them.

3 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Have I done this repeatedly? If so I apologize, but the point is that even if it's a throwback, it still ignored the rules. They didn't even have to give Tails a super form since he wasn't able to reach one without the Super Emeralds in Sonic 3. If the rules were as impactful as some seem to believe, there's nothing stopping them from not letting Mighty and Ray get the Emeralds, or giving everyone super shields.

As for Metal, he's male, yeah I'll give you that, but he only vaguely resembles a hedgehog, and he's not descried as one. Sonic even mentions how "hedgehogs don't turn into giant metal dragons".

The point isn't if Mania is canon. After all, the Chao example I mentioned is in a dream. It's about Sega approving the portrayal of non-hedgehogs gaining super forms if it's beneficial to them.

Or, and hear me out, the rules don't apply to the Classic branch. You already know that they consider the Classic and Modern branches are two separate entities and the rules that applied before no longer apply now. IDW is based on the Modern branch, and that's where the Hedgehog rule is applied. Classic is its own thing as far as Sega are concerned, and since Mania is designed as a throwback, it only makes sense to have the elements that defined that era including Super forms for the other characters. 

That's not to say they can't change their minds later obviously, but Mania is not an example of that. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Or, and hear me out, the rules don't apply to the Classic branch. You already know that they consider the Classic and Modern branches are two separate entities and the rules that applied before no longer apply now. IDW is based on the Modern branch, and that's where the Hedgehog rule is applied. Classic is its own thing as far as Sega are concerned, and since Mania is designed as a throwback, it only makes sense to have the elements that defined that era including Super forms for the other characters. 

That's not to say they can't change their minds later obviously, but Mania is not an example of that. 

And that's part of the reason why I hope for a full-on Classic Sonic sub-series. Seems they have more lax rules to play with that could be explored in more than a mini-series.

10 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

It doesn't seem like classic is playing by different rules. The only real purpose of the split was to allow Sega to make classic games whenever they want without it screwing with the already messy timeline. But We'll just have to wait and see what they do with the Mania dimension to know how the rules work, and if it's an example of rules being different or Sega changing their minds.

I don't really see the point in believing the "male hedgehog" rule when it was just an excuse to make Sonic's super form special without bringing the endings of previous games into question. Even ignoring the super forms, the rules aren't consistent or locked in. They apply unless Sega likes the idea or just doesn't care anymore, and IDW's broken several of them. Remember how Metal Overlord was banned, how Sega characters weren't allowed to change clothes, or how Sonic couldn't lose?

Even if they're started making less strict the "male hedgehog rule", Super Form will still be canonically limited to some rare characters, with other gaining "consolation prize" gameplay ones in some game when they think it's useful.

About Surge in particular, I hope for her gaining one, first because it could create epic super form battles. If she get a "not-exactely-a-super-form-but-still-hypercool" one, I wouldn't be totally angry tho, just that it would be cool to see her gaining a "main" one.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Even if they're started making less strict the "male hedgehog rule", Super Form will still be canonically limited to some rare characters, with other gaining "consolation prize" gameplay ones in some game when they think it's useful.

About Surge in particular, I hope for her gaining one, first because it could create epic super form battles. If she get a "not-exactely-a-super-form-but-still-hypercool" one, I wouldn't be totally angry tho, just that it would be cool to see her gaining a "main" one.

Maybe they could make a callback to SA2 and have Starline make fake emeralds for a "false super form".

Who cares if it's super or not. I just want some kind of transformation for them, or combo attacks.

Something different and new > Super Saiyan hair.

Anyway they look awesome and their personality is also cool so far. I can't believe we get a better Scourge. It's my dream from years ago.

2 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

better Scourge

I disagree. Surge seems interesting but she's never going to replace Scourge.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I disagree. Surge seems interesting but she's never going to replace Scourge.

Probably not, I don't want to judge before reading the actual thing. I loved Scourge (and Shard) and I was fucking sad to see him go, he was so charismatic, a great villain, but I'm always in favour of "more creativity". I've also wanted for some time a new alter ego for Sonic, and there she is, a wicked female speedster, with a potential dynamic with its own sidekick, cool new lightning powers, and who knows what other surprises.

• Thumbs Up 2

31 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Probably not, I don't want to judge before reading the actual thing. I loved Scourge (and Shard) and I was fucking sad to see him go, he was so charismatic, a great villain, but I'm always in favour of "more creativity". I've also wanted for some time a new alter ego for Sonic, and there she is, a wicked female speedster, with a potential dynamic with its own sidekick, cool new lightning powers, and who knows what other surprises.

Hopefully she won't turn good and slowly lose relevance, or we really will be trapped in the Sonic cycle.

Of course she won't replace Scourge, except if she manage to be in the middle of strange copyright shenanigan and disputes and be licensed to some indie comics book creator and other drama.

2 hours ago, Red Hot Jack said:

Anyway Surge and Kit look awesome and their personality is also cool so far. I can't believe we get a better Scourge. It's my dream from years ago.

Only I find it funny/weird how popular those two got since, you know, THEY STILL HAVEN'T DEBUTED YET?

No, preview pages and cameo in 46 don't count

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

Except that they do...because we see them.

Right.

We also seen Thanos before "Infinity War". In 3 different movies. Wasn't that enough to get a clear opinion on him?

• Thumbs Up 1