Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The city in the first could also be the one in the second.

Those buildings look too different.

5 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Uh?

I meant that it looks similar to some of Lost World's concept art, such as Silent Forest.

Yeah, and I'm saying this is a more visually interesting concept. If this were to ever end up as a regular stage that is.

7 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Which doesn't really make sense, but okay.

Why not? He probably lives in any one of those cities.

6 minutes ago, MainJP said:

Why not? He probably lives in any one of those cities.

Yeah, I suppose it's fitting to have a weird dimension that often houses rare beryl of infinite energy also houses a criminal who wants to sell them for money.

Wait.

17 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yeah, I suppose it's fitting to have a weird dimension that often houses rare beryl of infinite energy also houses a criminal who wants to sell them for money.

Wait.

There's nothing to say he can't just do it. Maybe nobody cares.

5 hours ago, Kazhnuz said:

I wonder how Shadow (or a Phantom Ruby clone of him) come into play in her story. Is that it's a Phantom Ruby clone that killed her old gang ? Or maybe that it was because of Shadow that she couldn't help them somehow ? Or that she was angry of Shadow simply because how he acted reminded her of something that was related to the death of her old gang ?

I dont know why she would be angry at him then for that because She wouldn't have interacted enough to gleam that.

I kinda doubt its a phantom ruby clone. Because like they can't mention infinite right? And the only character who seemed to have actively not be allowed or just hasn't said anything about forces or related to it is shadow. seems like there's a restriction on that , I could be wrong though.

All that said I wonder if it will be anything at all? Shadow could legit not show up

The DLC thing is a good guess, you could play that off without having to mention that game or infnite directly

4 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

I dont know why she would be angry at him then for that because She wouldn't have interacted enough to gleam that.

I kinda doubt its a phantom ruby clone. Because like they can't mention infinite right? And the only character who seemed to have actively not be allowed or just hasn't said anything about forces or related to it is shadow. seems like there's a restriction on that , I could be wrong though.

All that said I wonder if it will be anything at all? Shadow could legit not show up

They've been asked not to use Infinite, but that's actually very easy to workaround. Even moreso if you take previous uses of Dr. Nega, Black Doom, and even Mephiles into account.

And yeah, I would hope they'd be smart enough to save her reckoning with Shadow for another time.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

They've been asked not to use Infinite, but that's actually very easy to workaround. Even moreso if you take previous uses of Dr. Nega, Black Doom, and even Mephiles into account.

Phantom ruby clone shadow with no explanation would be weird. I'm not just talking about work around, narrative it would be weird. Outside amy acting as a vector for exposition the plot had largely moved past it. Even eggman brushed it off as " my last henchmen didn't do well " to drag that all the way back would seem...weird. The DLC idea was really good, it allows for them to go back there but its nebulous enough to which nothing specific needs to be mentioned and you can just imagine when it takes place.

1 minute ago, DabigRG said:

And yeah, I would hope they'd be smart enough to save her reckoning with Shadow for another time.

I'm kinda afraid that wont ever happen

34 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

Phantom ruby clone shadow with no explanation would be weird. I'm not just talking about work around, narrative it would be weird. Outside amy acting as a vector for exposition the plot had largely moved past it. Even eggman brushed it off as " my last henchmen didn't do well " to drag that all the way back would seem...weird. The DLC idea was really good, it allows for them to go back there but its nebulous enough to which nothing specific needs to be mentioned and you can just imagine when it takes place.

I'm kinda afraid that wont ever happen

Not really.

Amy is will probably not be involved in that story and Eggman handwaving Infinite away is essentially just him saying he doesn't care about using that for his current plan. Whisper has thus far been depicted as her own thing(aside from the nonspeaking Wisps Friends) with her own background. This would also go in hand with Whisper's already established rage towards Eggman for masterminding her losing the people she cared about.

It would likely only take a little bit of obscuring to get by on that explanation: basically, Eggman used the Phantom Ruby's reality blurring illusions to help him conquer world and one of the ways he did this was by creating copies of foes Sonic has fought in the past, including Shadow. These Phantoms were repeatedly shown to be capable of operating on their own, so it's not too hard to establish that the Phantom Shadow crossed Whisper at one point during the war. 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Not really.

Amy is will probably not be involved in that story and Eggman handwaving Infinite away is essentially just him saying he doesn't care about using that for his current plan. Whisper has thus far been depicted as her own thing(aside from the nonspeaking Wisps Friends) with her own background. This would also go in hand with Whisper's already established rage towards Eggman for masterminding her losing the people she cared about.

It would likely only take a little bit of obscuring to get by on that explanation: basically, Eggman used the Phantom Ruby's reality blurring illusions to help him conquer world and one of the ways he did this was by creating copies of foes Sonic has fought in the past, including Shadow. These Phantoms were repeatedly shown to be capable of operating on their own, so it's not too hard to establish that the Phantom Shadow crossed Whisper at one point during the war.

Again could be wrong, I don't think sega wants shadow referenced with that. It kind of seems like they have taken active steps to avoid specifically that. I just don't think its go gonna go in any forces specific direction outside " eggman may have hired them once " if it even goes anywhere at all. Along with the steps taken to avoid mentioning and move past a lions share of that narratives importance on the book.

My expectations are low.

Btw, I just listened to an interesting question in the latest Bumblekast, and it looks like the classic games are canon after all, but since SEGA hasn't made up their mind on whether they are the past, another dimension or both, he's freezing the situation and will probably not explore the past for now, but focus on the modern side, but apparently they are canon for now.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Tangled Jack said:

Btw, I just listened to an interesting question in the latest Bumblekast, and it looks like the classic games are canon after all, but since SEGA hasn't made up their mind on whether they are the past, another dimension or both, he's freezing the situation and will probably not explore the past for now, but focus on the modern side, but apparently they are canon for now.

I'm pretty sure Classic Games have to be canon, Sonic had to meet all his friends in some circumstances and retconing new ones is  move stupid even beyond Sega decisions.

But who cares? No more Green Hill tyranny. No more Wrecking Ball and Pistons. No more anniversary "Genesis Wave" or "Genesis of Hero" time wasters. We're freeeeee!

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

SEGA doesnt care and will keep it like this.

Wish they'd accept Mighty and Ray in modern IDW though

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I'm pretty sure Classic Games have to be canon, Sonic had to meet all his friends in some circumstances and retconing new ones is  move stupid even beyond Sega decisions.

I dont think it's stupid actually? Sonic has existed and is gonna exist. Things are gonna change backstory, canon that sort if thing. It's the nature of the beast. And if say they are making an honest consideration of making classic an alt reality. Giving them new circumstances isnt really bad. It's only bad, if the new circumstances are bad. But this series is primarily for children and these backstories are like decades old at this point. And given how much the series may have fallen out of the spotlight to varying degrees, formal "this is who they are and why they are cool" introductions under more amicable circumstances might be necessary

Now my personal bias here is that if (when) they decide to make classic an alt reality in full,  there's a good chance that 3d sonic is is gonna get a reboot. And they have just been teetering on whether to do it.That's just my thoughts on the matter.

But the act itself isnt inherently bad, infact ints inevitable and problably healthy for what they want. I think what's dumb is this halfway shit between deciding because things kinda suffer when they let this happen. I would prefer if they wanna do something... do it. You wanna go ahead make classic an alternate dimension , roll with it. officially make it its own brand. Redo the 3d aspect, change all those characters and stuff you been trying to change for years. Just.. make a decision , stick to it and make the best version of that thing you can. This teetering feels like it serves no one.

But who cares? No more Green Hill tyranny. No more Wrecking Ball and Pistons. No more anniversary "Genesis Wave" or "Genesis of Hero" time wasters. We're freeeeee!

You will never escape green hill zone.

11 hours ago, Tangled Jack said:

11 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Well obviously. The events of Sonic 3, Sonic CD, and one iteration of Sonic 2 clearly happened in some form.

11 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

They're not going to let him just not acknowledge the classics forever.

8 hours ago, Razule said:

They're not going to let him just not acknowledge the classics forever.

Just let me have it while it lasts!

19 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Which pistons?

Egg Pistons? Final Boss of Sonic 1?

I know it's not offical-offical name, but it's best we have. And Mania used it, so who are we to argue?

On 9/9/2019 at 3:04 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

We've seen Green Hill Zone multiple times in the comic. in the current arc alone I can think of at least one time Sonic's had to run out of the city, and the nature we see just outside of it is clearly modeled after GHZ (maybe it's not Literally That but people don't give Windy Hill a pass, so...).

Does this really matter outside of the games anyway? Like I can actually understand not wanting to see it in every main series game like they do nowadays, but I still don't see the problem in...any other context.

8 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Does this really matter outside of the games anyway? Like I can actually understand not wanting to see it in every main series game like they do nowadays, but I still don't see the problem in...any other context.

It's still played out.

Visually speaking.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, StaticMania said:

It's still played out.

Visually speaking.

Is it though? In all the mainline games it's been in like 3 since the original. 

I know this is an old comparison but Mario always has more or less the same level structure of starting in Grass and ending in Lava but nobody complains about that. 

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

I know this is an old comparison but Mario always has more or less the same level structure of starting in Grass and ending in Lava but nobody complains about that. 

Because it's Mario, not Sonic.

Those are two different series with different elements that define them and different approaches to storytelling & game design.

10 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That would be because it doesn't.

Like...in any of the games people actually "praise" Mario for, that applies to only 2 games.

Over all it's like 8 games. I've listed all Green Hill (aesthetic) examples before, but the number is 21.

Overall use in Sonic: 14

10 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Clearly you haven’t been paying attention to the constant complaint about how stagnated the series was since NSMBW pre Odyssey. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2019 at 6:04 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Yeesh.

You sound like Miraclematter.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:11 AM, Marco9966 said:

SEGA doesnt care and will keep it like this.

Wish they'd accept Mighty and Ray in modern IDW though

They're only established in the Classic dimension. 

29 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

They're only established in the Classic dimension. 

Doesn't mean he can't wish for it. Things can change. Now will it? Eh...hope so.

I'd prefer they stay in the classic realm as well. At least in the gameverse. Along with fang. Now comic wise I think they be fine