Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I would like to remind people that specific, detailed ideas for future stories or characters would do well to be spoilered. 

Okay, let me rephrase that on @lulzersbehalf: Are there any other [aspects of] previous characters that you think would be interesting or nice to see another go at? 

Sure,

Expy for Cove and Cassie,
Thunderbolt maybe (not sure if Starline is already filling that role)
Eclipse with a bit of re-working 
and maybe the Dingoes from the Knuckles comics with a bit of fixed up where they aren't portrayed as '' ignorant and just plain evil'' and the comic implied that the echidna's were right...in taken over their land and kicking the dingoes out. (really that was Yikes)
I felt Ian almost fixed this but the subject never continued because pre-archie died. I do like the idea of Knuckles (on his own) dealing with one two or a tribe of Dingoes or any other animal characters seeking revenge for what the Echidna's have done to them and being redeemed.
Relic the Pika (a nerdy scientist gir miss her!l)
and Athair, ( my fave from the archie echdina's .. okay sega dont make him an echidna) but a wise old cracking character that can give advice or guide the characters would be nice

49 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Sure,

Expy for Cove and Cassie,
Thunderbolt maybe (not sure if Starline is already filling that role)
Eclipse with a bit of re-working 
and maybe the Dingoes from the Knuckles comics with a bit of fixed up where they aren't portrayed as '' ignorant and just plain evil'' and the comic implied that the echidna's were right...in taken over their land and kicking the dingoes out. (really that was Yikes)
I felt Ian almost fixed this but the subject never continued because pre-archie died. I do like the idea of Knuckles (on his own) dealing with one two or a tribe of Dingoes or any other animal characters seeking revenge for what the Echidna's have done to them and being redeemed.
Relic the Pika (a nerdy scientist gir miss her!l)
and Athair, ( my fave from the archie echdina's .. okay sega dont make him an echidna) but a wise old cracking character that can give advice or guide the characters would be nice

Good job, that is an interesting list.

I admit I was a little annoyed by your occasional habit, but that's just a minor thing and thus I was more concerned for the actual question/idea being acknowledged.

And yes, I would love for a number of those characters/concepts among others to get a second chance as well.

Actually,

On 9/1/2019 at 1:15 AM, lulzers said:

Say, what if IDW made expies of Geoffrey St. John, Mina Mongoose, Lien-Da, and Hope Kintobor respectively? We've already got a Dr. Finitevus expy in the form of Starline.

What are some of your favorite aspects of these characters, if you don't mind me asking?

12 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Well...unfortunately this is doing a negative job at it.

The characters are all in a shelter while the readers are following Sonic, so we really only get to see what he sees at the moment.

We'll get the occasional break from his POV at times, but...at this time that's only been to characters not in a safe space.

It'll get better, or something.

So what you're saying is this story/comic could be stronger if we moved away from Solo Sonic(or whatever the stupid term was) some?

9 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Well this is interesting:

Wow, that is...kind of a mess.

Can I ask something: Does IDW have strong ties to an advertising/merchandising company or something?

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

On a different topic, any ideas what will we do in next arc?Obviously it will depend how long Zombots will go, but I think it should resolve around Blaze. Why? Knuckles

Spoiler

Knuckles is one of Core Cast, he can't stay away for long. But Year 1 ended with him really adamant to focus on his job. So he won't leave Island for smaller mess, nor we can endanger ME that quickly after Neo Metal. So my best bet is that Sol Emeralds will be in danger and Knux being a kindred Guardian will sense that and feel it's also his duty to help. So he goes with Sonic to Sold Dimension, while Silver or Chaotix stay to look over ME. Elegant way to bring both 'bust far away' characters back into the comic, while relieving others for a year. Also, Big the Cat can be in Sol with no explanation, because that's what he does. (And hey, dimension hopping means we might get Sticks.

.Oh yeah, that's teamup that we'd like and/or we haven't seen yet!

Two/Three of em, even!

Spoiler

Maybe Lyric could be attacking Blaze's World).

Unfortunately, there was some sort of embargo that may not have been lifted.

That or we're going to space. Lost Hex, Wisps, now Dodon Pa. Newer games have a lot of space. Of course there is always chance of some kind of Classic Games story, but I hope it won't come to that.

Eh, I kinda hope not, but then the Lost Hex is pretty manageable.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

So what you're saying is this story/comic could be stronger if we moved away from Solo Sonic(or whatever the stupid term was) some?

Yes, it could be much stronger.

I mean, seeing Sonic's struggle is fine and all...but you know how it's been going.

Now it's time to see how the friends are doing, but extrapolatiated.

Expand on that, use this story type to it's full advantage.

48 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Yes, it could be much stronger.

I mean, seeing Sonic's struggle is fine and all...but you know how it's been going.

Now it's time to see how the friends are doing, but extrapolatiated.

Expand on that, use this story type to it's full advantage.

This is why I hope we get a 2nd ongoing series like Universe. Also the main Archie series did give perspectives from other characters.

26 minutes ago, knuckles20 said:

Also the main Archie series did give perspectives from other characters.

The main series should have backup stories again.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

I found these awesome artworks of what the IDW characters would look like in Sonic X, by https://y-firestar.tumblr.com

Hide contents

tumblr_psfcdhriXm1w4bh1xo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_psfcdhriXm1w4bh1xo2_1280.jpg

tumblr_psfcdhriXm1w4bh1xo7_1280.jpg

tumblr_psfcdhriXm1w4bh1xo5_1280.jpg

tumblr_psfcdhriXm1w4bh1xo6_1280.jpg

Okay, Whisper looks legitimately awesome.

But why is Starline inexplicably tiny?

18 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

The main series should have backup stories again.

That'd be a good idea as well. They can afford.

Remember my Blaze Arc idea from previous post? For no good reason I planned out whole arc.

Spoiler

#1 Knuckles is chilling (maybe Sonic is visiting), when ME opens portal to Sol World and Whiskers shows up. After quick battle they retreat. Knuckles concluded that ME is informing him that their sister dimension is in trouble, so he makes few calls. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Silver and Tangle prepare to safe Blaze, while rest stays to keep eye on Eggman.
#2-3 party splits up and Sonic teams up first with Silver, then Tangle,  saving  Coconut Crew and Marine (maybe Polar Bear vikings) in different Rush Adventure locations, fighting Johnny, Rush 2 bosses and large amounts of pirates, that seem to have much sturdier tech than what Nega or Eggman usually have.
#4 Heroes get lead where 'leader of the resistance is being held and all raid the place. Tails, only one being cautious realizes it's trap set up by Nega. He manages to save Sonic, but everyone else is captured and put under mind control by familiar looking devices. Nega seems to be working for someone.

#5 Sonic is on the run. And he must travel by water of all things. Thankfully he meets Big (who's her with no explanation) and together they manage to find some way around Sonic's hydrophobia.
#6-7 Two part story about Sonic getting on the main ship, fighting Whisker (maybe squeeze Rough & Tumble, finding a new job as pirates) and releasing...Stick the Badger who was leading resistance all this time, not Blaze.
Here's the clever bit: how Blaze let her world be conquered? Was she incompetent and got herself captured? Of corse not, she just never got home. Nega build machine that disrupted Blaze dimension-hopping, trapping her in unknown world. But as a side effect opened portal to Boom, so Sticks got here as well as Lyric, who took over robot pirates, gave them upgraded tech and finally mind control headgears).
Sonic and Sticks beat Whisker and free Tails.
#8 With help of Tails, Sonic locates Blaze in Ifrit World (Rivals 2), where she fought the giant beast all this time, while resisting his mind control. Together they get out and Blaze is ready to get back her home.
#9-12 Big finale, Sonic saving his mind controlled allies (probably using knowledge gained from facing Ifrit) and Lyric who tries using Jeweled Scepter to bring Sentinels (RoL) here. And Nega plays untrustworthy-second in command. If arc needs Eggman, Nega could tip him that Sonic isn't home, for a little action for those who didn't went (although I would suggest miniseries for Shadow or Amy, rather then split final story in half).

13 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Remember my Blaze Arc idea from previous post? For no good reason I planned out whole arc.

Reveal hidden contents

#1 Knuckles is chilling (maybe Sonic is visiting), when ME opens portal to Sol World and Whiskers shows up. After quick battle they retreat. Knuckles concluded that ME is informing him that their sister dimension is in trouble, so he makes few calls. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Silver and Tangle prepare to safe Blaze, while rest stays to keep eye on Eggman.
#2-3 party splits up and Sonic teams up first with Silver, then Tangle,  saving  Coconut Crew and Marine (maybe Polar Bear vikings) in different Rush Adventure locations, fighting Johnny, Rush 2 bosses and large amounts of pirates, that seem to have much sturdier tech than what Nega or Eggman usually have.
#4 Heroes get lead where 'leader of the resistance is being held and all raid the place. Tails, only one being cautious realizes it's trap set up by Nega. He manages to save Sonic, but everyone else is captured and put under mind control by familiar looking devices. Nega seems to be working for someone.

#5 Sonic is on the run. And he must travel by water of all things. Thankfully he meets Big (who's her with no explanation) and together they manage to find some way around Sonic's hydrophobia.
#6-7 Two part story about Sonic getting on the main ship, fighting Whisker (maybe squeeze Rough & Tumble, finding a new job as pirates) and releasing...Stick the Badger who was leading resistance all this time, not Blaze.
Here's the clever bit: how Blaze let her world be conquered? Was she incompetent and got herself captured? Of corse not, she just never got home. Nega build machine that disrupted Blaze dimension-hopping, trapping her in unknown world. But as a side effect opened portal to Boom, so Sticks got here as well as Lyric, who took over robot pirates, gave them upgraded tech and finally mind control headgears).
Sonic and Sticks beat Whisker and free Tails.
#8 With help of Tails, Sonic locates Blaze in Ifrit World (Rivals 2), where she fought the giant beast all this time, while resisting his mind control. Together they get out and Blaze is ready to get back her home.
#9-12 Big finale, Sonic saving his mind controlled allies (probably using knowledge gained from facing Ifrit) and Lyric who tries using Jeweled Scepter to bring Sentinels (RoL) here. And Nega plays untrustworthy-second in command. If arc needs Eggman, Nega could tip him that Sonic isn't home, for a little action for those who didn't went (although I would suggest miniseries for Shadow or Amy, rather then split final story in half).

What a fantastic cluster of fish. 

Tangle & Whisper #2, next part of this " mini-series featuring two of the most popular new Sonic characters". A bit early to boast like that, wouldn't you say? Also Just wondering, does anyone knows how sales are doing? I'm curious if sales are satisfying enough for IDW to greenlight more of miniseries (or better yet SU).

Anyway it's good. Not super-explosive awesome, but satisfying.

Spoiler

So far Mimic doesn't have much in his sleeve beyond "manipulative shape-shifter". And splitting up is like 101 what not to do fighting changeling. With that said I'm ashamed to admit I got fooled by his Whisper charade. Just for a second, but that's exactly how long he needs to strike.
Other than that he just had some Eggman tech and I seen it enough time. Still, he had fairly big artillery for 2 page fight. And how can I complain at giggling bomb with Eggman's grin?

Backstory goes to... guessable direction. They were part of the group "Diamond Cutters", Mimic sold them to Eggman, only Whisper survived. That's what we guessed from part #1 and I hope #3 will add something more.

Not many jokes, but it's fitting with the tone. It's strange how Tangle opened safe at the end, when she was stuck before. But you know what? I'm glad for once people don't narrate everything. It would be more elegant if image showed that both girls hit at the same time, but I'll just assume explosion loosened hinges or something.

Also, being a foreigner I like learning rarely used English words. So thank you Flynn for teaching me "yokel" and "rube". My ability to insult people without them knowing just increased! Not that I do that. Much. You maladroit ignoramus.

On 9/4/2019 at 5:49 AM, DabigRG said:

What a fantastic cluster of fish.  

Um, Thank you?

Whisper has great expressions, I wish to see more.

Though I didn't think spoilers would happen already, 2 years at least.

Yeah it was real good, I wasn't expecting part 2 to be better, but it was because things got a lot more personal, we knew the reason Whisper wanted Tangle out but it was nice to see her say it explicitly, I wish we could spend more time with these 2, it will feel a really short story if it ends at issue 4, which it does but I'm hoping things are left open ended for more possible stories, and these 2 characters are just beginning their story so it's definitely possible. 

Mimic was ruthless, nice design by the way.

What I predict for future stories:

Spoiler

Jewel dies, and Tangle has to go through the pain Whisper faced. But without turning into a shy person.

Anyway, I'm excited to read about Whisper's story and I REALLY hope it doesn't feel rushed, with it ending one issue after the backstory.

The sales are as much as the normal IDW sonic comic. 

I love the character desins of the diamonnd cutters, not all the same shape as sonic.

For those curious how Sonic is doing: Year 2 sales stabilized around 11-12 thousands. Tangle&Whisper #1 sold 10K.

Is that good? Here how Archie looked like this
sales.png

It starts around Endgame (50), with slight uprising possibly caused by release of SA1. It falls down around soap opera times (75-120), and crawls up, but why? Better writing, Sonic x, internet? Can't say, but Flynn didn't automatically fixed everything (he take over almost same time X comic starts). Maybe just stabilized things, with slight upraise post 200  and SU introduction.  And last few spikes are Mecha Sally, Collide followed by reboot and Unite (although Unite only really jumped for 275 anniversary). Strangely post-Unite sales seem to fall lower than even during Flynn writing.

So as long as IDW keeps around 11 thousands, I think we can be optimistic. Comparing to other IDW books: we're similar to Marvel Acton tittles (yes it's IDW), Transformers  or TMNT (all around 10-11K), significantly above MLP (8K) and better than pretty much anything Archie makes (8K or less).

My sources
https://sonicsource.net/2018/05/07/idw-sonic-sales-numbers-breakdown/
https://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2019/2019-05.html

You know, it makes me "What if Archie 252 Reboot started with issue 1". Who knows, maybe it would still go to this day.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tangle & Whisper #2, next part of this " mini-series featuring two of the most popular new Sonic characters". A bit early to boast like that, wouldn't you say? Also Just wondering, does anyone knows how sales are doing? I'm curious if sales are satisfying enough for IDW to greenlight more of miniseries (or better yet SU).

Hide contents

1) Its a push, its like with a wrestler , they call him the biggest baddest thing around. Even though they may not have actually done anything in that particular wrestling federation yet. Its a push

2) They would be uh... to put it nicely , extremely naive to hinge the future of minisries on two relatively unknown characters.

4 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Tangle & Whisper #2, next part of this " mini-series featuring two of the most popular new Sonic characters". A bit early to boast like that, wouldn't you say?

Not exactly much competition.

• Chuckle 2

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

For those curious how Sonic is doing: Year 2 sales stabilized around 11-12 thousands. Tangle&Whisper #1 sold 10K.

Is that good? Here how Archie looked like this
sales.png

It starts around Endgame (50), with slight uprising possibly caused by release of SA1. It falls down around soap opera times (75-120), and crawls up, but why? Better writing, Sonic x, internet? Can't say, but Flynn didn't automatically fixed everything (he take over almost same time X comic starts). Maybe just stabilized things, with slight upraise post 200  and SU introduction.  And last few spikes are Mecha Sally, Collide followed by reboot and Unite (although Unite only really jumped for 275 anniversary). Strangely post-Unite sales seem to fall lower than even during Flynn writing.

So as long as IDW keeps around 11 thousands, I think we can be optimistic. Comparing to other IDW books: we're similar to Marvel Acton tittles (yes it's IDW), Transformers  or TMNT (all around 10-11K), significantly above MLP (8K) and better than pretty much anything Archie makes (8K or less).

My sources
https://sonicsource.net/2018/05/07/idw-sonic-sales-numbers-breakdown/
https://comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2019/2019-05.html

You know, it makes me "What if Archie 252 Reboot started with issue 1". Who knows, maybe it would still go to this day.

Yeah people will tell you the book is failing but honestly it's doing about as good as any other title. The Good thing is that this means we'll definitely see more Mini-Series in the future.

As for if the reboot started at #1 it'd still be going. I seriously doubt that. Archie's incompetence is what lost them the rights and even if they hadn't Archie seems to want to be making their flagship  books their main priority so they're not really interested in paying to use characters anymore.

• Thumbs Up 3

I enjoyed that little romp of an issue. Flynn is still going for the heavy tones, but it felt a lot more personal and character driven to me than the main book so I enjoyed it. Probably helps that I like Tangle and seeing the nuance she has time for in this book is a treat.

Spoiler

Didn't realize that Tangle is claustrophobic though. Did I miss that in a prior volume or was it just slipped in here rather nonchalantly under the radar?

Whisper still isn't doing anything for me, but seeing her emotional range expanded on in this issue was nice. Maybe next issue will give me something to latch onto, but right now Tangle just entertains me more with her goofy antics and balanced nuances.

25 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Yeah people will tell you the book is failing but honestly it's doing about as good as any other title. The Good thing is that this means we'll definitely see more Mini-Series in the future.

As for if the reboot started at #1 it'd still be going. I seriously doubt that. Archie's incompetence is what lost them the rights and even if they hadn't Archie seems to want to be making their flagship  books their main priority so they're not really interested in paying to use characters anymore.

Yeah I am gonna have to agree with SBR on the Archie Reboot. A new number 1 wouldn't have mattered. The reboot was poorly handled but it was mainly due to the circumstances that forced it to happen.  It would've needed to been a clean cut, toss out the old continuity all together and start fresh but that would have pissed off long time Archie fans immediately, Ian tried to salvage as much as he could and make it somewhat cohesive for the fans sake.  Also, Archie already shot themselves in the foot a long time ago with how they handled the comic. They stopped caring. They weren't promoting it, the editor or creatives were the only ones doing the promoting. 

IDW has shown to be more behind the comic than Archie had.