Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

1 hour ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

I think he was stated to be in his 20's.

Oh yeah, that sounds about right.

And Whisper?

Also, the Skunk Bros?

2 hours ago, Marco9966 said:

Shadow is 50, Mimic is 32, Elder Scruffy must be 50 too.

Everyone else is below 20.

Except Vector who is 20.

Eggman's 15 in spirit.

The oldest living character in any Sonic media ever (with a confirmed age)? The Light Mobius version of Dimitri, probably.

12 minutes ago, Forgetful Panda said:

The oldest living character in any Sonic media ever (with a confirmed age)? The Light Mobius version of Dimitri, probably.

I mean there's also Ixis Mogul.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Do you think Tangle & Whisper is better than the main comic? What can the main comic take from it to be better?

Eh.

I guess it can take a little more downtime and backstory-to-present correlation, but then it already does dip into that a few times.

I'm not saying Tangle & Whisper is better than main book. For starters it's jumping to conclusion, we're only half way through. But  I will say that Sonic Universe was better.

Stories had to end in 4 issues, pluspacing was better (mostly). Bigger variety, threats were bigger. And of course we had our favorite Sega character with room to express themselves and do something cool.

• Thumbs Up 3

Sonic Universe was better than the main book of Archie to me. It was definitely the only thing I could rely on for stories focused on the extended cast after a while. When it was introduced, the main book really did just become more about the Adventures of Sonic and the Freedom Fighters, which is good for those who care about that. The others didn't really show up much at all in it anymore though. 

I still have my problems with Universe of course. I always complained about the 4 issue format. The noticeable pattern of 3 issues of build-up, the final page of the 3rd issue being a full page spread of the final form of the big villain they're hyping up to be beaten in the final issue, and then the final issue where the big bad that was set-up goes down super quick and the rest is a rushed wrap-up. 

That isn't to say it didn't work all the time (Eggman's Dozen is the bomb) but I'm definitely more comfortable with the more flexible range of storytelling here where he can just write a story and it'll go on for as long as he needs or wants it to. Restrictions on that sort of thing are good and important to have around but I prefer they not be SO strict that every story for Universe needs to end in 4 issues. I feel the same about a story that doesn't need to be 4 issues long too. They did one or two that were only an issue long as well. 

All this said, it does hurt the chances of more self-contained stuff unless they decided to tell little mini-arcs within the huge arc to compensate for it. That's possible as well. So long as there's a connection to the overall overarching plot of that year it'd be fine. 

Basically, there's a lot of ways to tell stories and junk. You'll know what works best for you when you experience it. 

1 hour ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Heads up, issue 21's release date is 25th September, while Tangle & Whisper 3 is coming October 2nd.

Get used to delays people

I'm not really surprised about this one : the whole schedule will certainly have to be shifted because of the shift that we have got before. I didn't believe that we would got one comic per week in September (T&S then Sonic then T&W again) xD I'm just a bit disappointed that it's a two week shift and thus we don't get two weeks between the Tangle&Whisper and the mainline comic, but at least instead we have only one week between both, so it's one bad thing for one good xD

51 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

I'm not really surprised about this one : the whole schedule will certainly have to be shifted because of the shift that we have got before. I didn't believe that we would got one comic per week in September (T&S then Sonic then T&W again) xD I'm just a bit disappointed that it's a two week shift and thus we don't get two weeks between the Tangle&Whisper and the mainline comic, but at least instead we have only one week between both, so it's one bad thing for one good xD

I have been thinking lately, since Sonic Unleashed was referenced in IDW, we must address the issue about the emerald shrines that are ON EARTH, instead of Mobius.

Why is the Master Emerald Shrine on mobius, but the Emerald Shrines on Earth?? Two-Worlds rendered invalid again in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

The emeralds having jumped between worlds is the least of the problems with the two worlds setup, considering they can warp space-time and regularly end up in the special zone which is like a weird other dimension in its own right.

• Thumbs Up 3

23 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I have been thinking lately, since Sonic Unleashed was referenced in IDW, we must address the issue about the emerald shrines that are ON EARTH, instead of Mobius. 

Why is the Master Emerald Shrine on mobius, but the Emerald Shrines on Earth?? Two-Worlds rendered invalid again in my opinion. 

The Gaia's shrines are shrines that use the Chaos Emerald, but they aren't "THE" Chaos Emerald shrines, their main purpose seems to be restoring the planet (and Chaos Emerald regeneration seems some kind of "bonus", or yet another writing weakness). They aren't their "natural place" or anything, and as the Chaos Emerald have been shown to be able to go in both world as they want too, Earth having some shrines that use them isn't strange at all, and doesn't render anything invalid. Earth have been shown to have some knowledge on these stuff at least 50 years ago, so having some earlier proof of that knowledge.

For all the issue I tried to adress while working on "how could the two-worlds works", it isn't the hardest by far xD (the "Central City" thing was the hardest to figure out, thanks Flynn xD).

Who know, maybe even that the mysterious civilisation 10 000 ago was some kind of SG's Ancient-like civilisation, and that they made some kind of stargate between the two worlds/planet in another galaxy/solarsystem (or maybe that Mobius is just the planet next to Earth) à la Stargate Atlantis and that the source of most of the mess in the Sonic Universe. (It could even be the "First Great Civilisation" if we were to still want to reference that thing). The adventage is that we could make it come from either worlds, depending of the kind of story we want to write.

(and you're not obligated to quote me every time you say something were you disagree with me, you know 😛 My message had nothing to do with that, and it makes the thread kinda awkward too read)

The fact that we have to make up fanfiction to justify two worlds shows how little the idea works.

29 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

(and you're not obligated to quote me every time you say something were you disagree with me, you know 😛 My message had nothing to do with that, and it makes the thread kinda awkward too read)

I just like hearing opinions from the pro-2-world side 😜

58 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Schedule's Changing=Two Worlds?

34 minutes ago, Splash the Otter said:

The fact that we have to make up fanfiction to justify two worlds shows how little the idea works. 

I didn't make fanfiction to justify it working, though 😛 Here, the thing works because it doesn't add a layer of issue. As it's already assumed by the theory that the Chaos Emerald can go in both world, having shrine that happens to use them isn't worse than the very existence of these shrine.

The fanfic-y part was more just for fun, and because it would be an interesting way to USE the lore, and not just "have one", because I ultimately think that the only thing that is really important with a lore is what story we can make with a lore. (and that's the real reason why the lore situation in Sonic is pretty bad : because as they don't want to really have a lore, they can't use it as a way to create story that would use their universe. As I said, one-world, two world ? For the moment, Sonic is more "zero-world".)

... Okay really it was just because I wanted to nerd a bit about Stargate. Next time it'll be Babylon 5.

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Schedule's Changing=Two Worlds? 

Well, sending the comics to anther planet isn't really simple, so it's normal that it provoke schedule change '-'

Nothing to do with the rest of the message, but I'm wondering if we won't see only really Zavok in the comics, with that he is the only one really shown (the other are on the background) on the page where Starline is talking about them.

42 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

Nothing to do with the rest of the message, but I'm wondering if we won't see only really Zavok in the comics, with that he is the only one really shown (the other are on the background) on the page where Starline is talking about them.

Marco incited this point in the Upcoming thread--you're right that that panel is technically a flashback to Lost World itself. So it's entirely possible for Starline to only encounter a few of the Zeti rather than the whole band..

Of course, the matter of where TSR takes place compared to Forces is hopefully irrelevant.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

i dont think they are gonna explain nothing

3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Marco incited this point in the Upcoming thread--you're right that that panel is technically a flashback to Lost World itself. So it's entirely possible for Starline to only encounter a few of the Zeti rather than the whole band.. 

Of course, the matter of where TSR takes place compared to Forces is hopefully irrelevant. 

Yeah, I don't think it's related to TSR, as in the first draft of the Metal Virus Crisis, only Zavok was mentioned (and it sure couldn't related to TSR, ahah). Maybe it's because it is simpler to handle only one character than the whole gang, while the rest wouldn't add anything ? And maybe it's just an aesthetic effect and that the whole gang will show up, and not as I think because they'll only use him.

IDK, let's wait and see. I'm interested to see what Flynn want to do with them though.