Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

When you combine it with other findings though.

Saying “we haven’t seen GUN, so they’re not canon anymore” isn’t a finding, it’s an assumption with faulty logic. Again, are we supposed to think Knuckles and Shadow aren’t canon for not showing up?

GUN wasn't established in the "Human World." It was established on Earth. They were introduced at a point in the series where Sonic lived on one world (Earth) alongside non-Eggman humans. We are not at that point anymore. Not really the huge stretch you make it out to be to scrap what would be a badly fitting artifact of the Adventure era.

Earth, aka The Human World at this point. And that is a huge stretch considering no one at Sonic Team came out on record and said that it was scrapped like you did and instead retconned the whole thing into this Two Worlds nonsense.

Except nothing happened in Unleashed that would make their absence really odd. While a giant monster ripping the planet GUN alledgely lives on apart yet they aren't doing anything about it is really odd.

So did almost 90% of the entire recurring Sonic cast. Are we supposed to assume they weren’t canon anymore for not showing up?

• Nice Smile 1

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/06/10/more-burning-questions-about-the-sonic-the-hedgehog-franchise-answered.aspx

What about Princess Elise? Has she moved on to another Hedgehog love interest?

Iizuka: [laughs] She's probably just hanging out in the human world, enjoying her life as a princess. Maybe she's a queen now. We're not really sure.

If Iizuka still considers Elise to exist in the human world, then I think it's safe to assume that GUN does too. Also, a GUN truck showed up in one of the 2016 anniversary comics: http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/comic/25th/20160826_001121/

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, Pengi said:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/06/10/more-burning-questions-about-the-sonic-the-hedgehog-franchise-answered.aspx

If Iizuka still considers Elise to exist in the human world, then I think it's safe to assume that GUN does too. Also, a GUN truck showed up in one of the 2016 anniversary comics: http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicChannel/comic/25th/20160826_001121/

Huh.

You know, I know the inquirer was probably just going for a laugh, but it's kinda neat to see Iizuka-san remembers Elise is a thing.

Also, nice to know he read the tie-in.

1 hour ago, GentlemanX said:

- At least some of the following will be within the first year, not clear which: Rouge, Big, Cream, Vanilla, Mighty, Ray, Shadow, Silver, Honey, Sticks

Eh, I see Cream, Vanilla, and maybe Might&Ray showing up before most of those guys right now.

Though Silver has a slightly higher chance as well, especially if Blaze is any indication.

• Nice Smile 1

After over a year of nothing, it's nice seeing Tracy's Sonic again.

• Thumbs Up 6

8 hours ago, Almar said:

Overreacting. We didn't see GUN in Unleashed and they are from a polarizing era of Sonic. Them being quietly taken out of the series is less over-the-top than you act like.

Here's the simplest argument against your "logic". Who killed Maria? Shadow still exists, so his backstory still exists, so GUN still exists.

Even if Sega will never-ever mention GUN again, it still exists. If anything it's because removing them is complicating everything, with zero benefits.

... in fact, why do you want this? Do you prefer fro GUN to not exist?

• Nice Smile 1

Although it's not confirmed, Sticks being available (which was already confirmed by Ian so it's old news) still warms my heart. 

I'm interested in those big arcs, I'm sure they won't drag because there will be small stories but there will be something ongoing as well, as Ian said, long term payoff is the best, it has probably something to do with that mysterious villain, and I'm sure Tumble and Rough are his/her lackeys.

None of the games are canon? Now that's surprising... I thought the main ones at least were canon, this is probably an excuse to do adaptations later.

Yay for useful Tails and cocky Sonic, my favorites.

I see Shadow and Rouge having the most chance of appearing in the first year. It'd be easy if you just had a story where Sonic ran into team Dark, which seems to be the format these first few issues are taking. Ditto Silver really. 

• Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

I see Shadow and Rouge having the most chance of appearing in the first year. It'd be easy if you just had a story where Sonic ran into team Dark, which seems to be the format these first few issues are taking. Ditto Silver really. 

I hope stories are more creative than "Sonic runs into a friend and fights badniks leftovers from Forces", but we don't know all the details yet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

41 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

I'd love to know what VERSION of the events of the games took place in the IDW universe.

Bet you a million dollars the OC doesn’t exist in this universe.

The way I understand Flynn's words he left himself a backdoor.

He's basically saying: "Everything is open. There is a huge chance everything happened just like in games (use that as a baseline) but if I say something is different, it's different. So we can assume for now that Lost World happened, but maybe in a year we'll decide to make an adaptation, and it will be slightly/a lot different than games."

If I got it right, that's great news. Gives Flynn a lot of freedom to fix stupid things even "Two Worlds" most likely won't be a problem.

• Thumbs Up 3

36 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

So I'm a little confused, this comic takes place after an alternate Forces? 

That's fine, regular forces is Mostly garbagio

1 hour ago, VEDJ-F said:

I'm still predicting you aren't gonna see shadow for a while

3 hours ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Although it's not confirmed, Sticks being available (which was already confirmed by Ian so it's old news) still warms my heart. 

Sticks is cool!

I'm interested in those big arcs, I'm sure they won't drag because there will be small stories but there will be something ongoing as well, as Ian said, long term payoff is the best, it has probably something to do with that mysterious villain, and I'm sure Tumble and Rough are his/her lackeys.

The long term pay off is dependent on how the story is told. He can say it will work out all he wants ,but its just words untill i see a good long form narrative out of him. 

None of the games are canon? Now that's surprising... I thought the main ones at least were canon, this is probably an excuse to do adaptations later.

When was this said?

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Here's the simplest argument against your "logic". Who killed Maria? Shadow still exists, so his backstory still exists, so GUN still exists.

Even if Sega will never-ever mention GUN again, it still exists. If anything it's because removing them is complicating everything, with zero benefits.

... in fact, why do you want this? Do you prefer fro GUN to not exist?

I mean I personally would prefer gun not exist simply because it adds layers to eggman that never get addressed and honestly only serve to give another character a tragic backstory that didn't really require a connection to eggman to begin with. And you could problably in a hypothetical sonic reboot give shadow a non eggman related tragedy like .. I dunno his mom was a black arms or something and some animal run organization kills his parents or something.. or something more akin to DMC, something dramatic. I personally will argue, despite arguing they currently need to exist for shadow on another page, will argue that in the grand scheme you can probably remove in them in a reboot. But you can't just yank em out of the story as is now

The way Tracey's drawn Sonic there seems different than usual and I can't put my finger on what it is.

• Thumbs Up 1

The actual pencilling doesn't look too different, but the way it's been coloured is massively different, so that might be it. 

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

So I'm a little confused, this comic takes place after an alternate Forces? 

This takes place in an alternate EVERY game. None of the games themselves are canon, but they still happened in a different way.

• Thumbs Up 3

Can someone put up a list of all the Q&A stuff. I don't want to get a facebook I won't use at all just for this.