Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Speed Highway takes place on 90% highway with a bunch of SkyScrapers...so it's like Crisis City if the city wasn't destroyed and on fire.

City escape is just a city.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

City escape is just a city.

If City Escape is just a city then would you define it similar to Rooftop Run or the Forces one?
Because the city trope is really underestimated, there is a lot that can be done to differentiate cities.
Obviously City Escape is different then the other two, it's clearly an american city.
But the same type of differentiation is present between Rooftop Run and the Forces one, just more subtle (even though I find it obvious, they really don't look too similar to me).
I also don't feel that Speed Highway is just Crisis City without fire, there are subtle differences in how the cities are done (even though Crisis City is kind of a shitty example because it's generic not because of the trope but because of lack of inspiration).
Taking another example, Rooftop Run is different from the Forces one exactly like Speed Highway is different from City Empire.
Yeah, both cities with big skyscrapers, but there is a lot more to them than that.

11 minutes ago, Auroxen said:

Did you focus for more than half a second on the architecture? The colors and shape of the building, the style of decoration...
They look similar in the same way that City Escape is similar to Speed Highway and Crisis City.

Saying that they look the same is really being unfair.

Crisis city is on fire . Torn buildings. No helicopters. Nor city cars. Besides having roads you run on. Focrs stage and unleaded literally look the same besides mechs attacking and Green hill in the background haha. If some see it as fresh and brand new that's ok to

2 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Crisis city is on fire . Torn buildings. No helicopters. Nor city cars. Besides having roads you run on. Focrs stage and unleaded literally look the same besides mechs attacking and Green hill in the background haha. If some see it as fresh and brand new that's ok to

Sorry but I'm not just gonna let this go, did you not read the previous posts about the architectures and how the cities are literally based on different places in real life?

I'm ok if you find them similar but saying they "literally look the same" is just not true.

EDIT P.S.: (tl;dr: my problem with this is that you are talking like they objectively look the same, while they aren't even based on the same city)

4 minutes ago, Auroxen said:

Yeah, both cities with big skyscrapers, but there is a lot more to them than that.

Well they're not cities...but the differences are within the level design itself and not really the look of them.

The only minor differences is that Speed highway has some kind of construction theme and you actually enter a city at the end. Skyscraper Scamper never really leaves the highway, but it has you actually travelling along the Skyscrapers...and a random cylinder.

1 minute ago, StaticMania said:

Well they're not cities...but the differences are within the level design itself and not really the look of them.

The only minor differences is that Speed highway has some kind of construction theme and you actually enter a city at the end. Skyscraper Scamper never really leaves the highway, but it has you actually travelling along the Skyscrapers...and a random cylinder.

I don't talk English as my first language so maybe I was just using the term city improperly, I was also referring to the highway part and the surrounding skyscrapers sorry.
Anyway I still think that the two highways look different, independently of the time of the day and of the gimmicks of the stages.

But maybe it's better to not continue with this argument, it's getting kind of off topic.

I think my realization was missed so I'll repeat it.

Considering this random third character is going to be key to the story and/or game, does this mean we're not getting a Super final boss in this game and will be stuck with another Lost World type of final boss?

I miss the cinematic Super Sonic finale's but since I doubt this new character will get a Super form, I doubt we're getting the epic finale we deserve, again.

• Thumbs Up 1

You can make something climactic without the main character going super saiyan and screaming his head off, you know.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Chris Knopps said:

I think my realization was missed so I'll repeat it.

Considering this random third character is going to be key to the story and/or game, does this mean we're not getting a Super final boss in this game and will be stuck with another Lost World type of final boss?

I miss the cinematic Super Sonic finale's but since I doubt this new character will get a Super form, I doubt we're getting the epic finale we deserve, again.

That's a really good point there.
I don't know, maybe they'll pull out a Burning Blaze and do something that is canonically not a super form but acts exactly like a super form.
Kinda like the Not Green Hill, a Not Super Form so that he can transform into something without contradicting the "only hedgehog have a super form" rule they pulled out of their asses.

Or maybe they'll just pull out a Not Nega Wisp again.
I really hope not, with Eggman having conquered the world I really want an epic fight with a great scope, not Sonic running down an hallway beating up Eggman's final defense in 30 seconds flat.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

e3b30fca074fde753340449caf7779c6.jpg

They look super similar if not the same. Ones edgy and the other is not.

Hide contents

tumblr_m4ssuq0h5w1qdtw9eo1_500.png

Not even comparable. Anyone trying to say they both look 100 percent different  is lying to themselves. Their keyboard and this sites server provider. But if any confuse a werehog and a black fur chested hedge I guess anything's possible

We don't need another Super Sonic. A challenging boss fight using the game's regular mechanics would suffice, with different phases or whatever. 

Super Sonic is coolio, but not every Super Boss was good. It's also overused. It ain't exactly about scale no more, when almost every final boss has been in space against some ancient beast.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, Meta77 said:

Not even comparable. Anyone trying to say they both look 100 percent different  is lying to themselves. Their keyboard and this sites server provider. But if any confuse a werehog and a black fur chested hedge I guess anything's possible

Of course nobody is saying that they look 100 percent completely different, I'm just saying they look different enough to not be considerable the same thing.
Of course they have some resemblance, they're both european like cities, but not to the point of negating their individual identities; exactly like Green Hill and Emerald Hill can both exist, have some resemblance being both grassy hill areas, but with their own identities.
You were saying that they look the same lol, that's just no true, just somewhat similar being both in the same level trope.

(This is my last reply on the subject, it's getting repetitive)

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

We don't need another Super Sonic. A challenging boss fight using the game's regular mechanics would suffice, with different phases or whatever. 

Super Sonic is coolio, but not every Super Boss was good. It's also overused. It ain't exactly about scale no more, when almost every final boss has been in space against some ancient beast.

I hope there are three stories for each gameplay style like in Sonic Adventure, where every story has it's own final boss based on the gameplay of that character and the final boss is a super battle or whatever can involve all three characters.

I kind of lost trust in normal Sonic final battles after Sonic Lost World, maybe they can win me back on the concept with this one but I don't know.

6 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Perfect chaos.  final hazard. Metal overlords would have been better without the whole power of teamwork and tails and knuckles in it. Dark Gaia. Those fights were fun. And the music amplifies them. Solaris final phase being a joy! Sucks the rest of the games ruins it some

How would people react if the city Modern Sonic is exploring is literally built on top of the old Green Hill Zone?

• Thumbs Up 1

The only Super Sonic finale we've had, CONSOLE wise, since Unleashed is the Generations title, but it was the laziest, poorest, most uninspired, lackluster, disappointing, unappealing...

Every negative word in the book you can think of, that was the Super Sonic boss in Generations, in both the execution, the music, everything was terrible and screamed "WE QUIT!!" as if they just hadn't a breath left to give by the end of the game.

I want as spectacular a Super Sonic boss to make up for that as possible. And then some. We deserve no less after the horrid treatment at the end of Generations.

So really, no, Super Sonic is not overused, in fact quite the opposite, it has been underused and has under-performed since Unleashed, which was the last time Super Sonic was used properly.

Also, another thing I want to point out.

Do you think SEGA will give a crap about continuity starting from this game on and make a staple series again that move on in a way that makes sense from the previous title, or do you think the whole world will be magically fixed in the following game and everything from Forces will be forgotten?

5 minutes ago, Spooky Mulder said:

How would people react if the city Modern Sonic is exploring is literally built on top of the old Green Hill Zone?

I wouldn't like it, I don't know but the background of the level doesn't hit me as being supposed to be literally Green Hill, I think it's just a Green Hill like generic grassland ala Sonic Lost World backgrounds.

In fact I don't think the Green Hill Classic Sonic is running through in his gameplay is the same of the city.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

the music

I don't find the Time Eater music to be bad at all, yeah the boss is terrible but the music isn't bad imho (even though it's not at the level of goodness of most Sonic musics).

Super Sonic finales appeared in every game, until it started appearing in every OTHER game instead. That's...honestly a lot better for variety's sake, and even then I wouldn't mind if they did it less.

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

Super Sonic finales appeared in every game, until it started appearing in every OTHER game instead. That's...honestly a lot better for variety's sake, and even then I wouldn't mind if they did it less.

I will give Colors credit for providing a finale that made an absolute effort in apologizing for no Super Sonic based finale, and it DID make not having Super Sonic worth it, but I don't want it to be the norm of every other game, or every two games, being Super Sonic finale's as I just don't see Sonic Team having enough creativity to make a Normal Sonic finale worthwhile in the long run.

Under normal, mind you NORMAL circumstances, Super Sonic seems to really hype up the developers behind the title and they really seem to give it their absolute all and best at the end. What happened in Generations is bewildering at best but more often than not Super Sonic has generally resulted in instant enthusiasm for the team behind the game just based on experiences we've had.

I want to see what we had in Unleashed return to the Nth degree in Forces, but given this third character, it brings into question just how possible it is to have a new finale centering around Super Sonic, or rather, Super Sonic's as the case may be.

I'm worried that because of this new character it's going to be another normal-centric finale when the plot of the game practically SCREAMS for the most epic Super-focused finale we've ever seen.

If they can't even make the end of the game worth reaching...

D@mn...

There WILL be salt then.

If they can't make a normal Sonic final boss cool and exciting, they can't make a Super Sonic final boss cool and exciting. Nothing about making your main character glow yellow makes a fight any better.

Honestly most Super Sonic fights have sucked.

• Thumbs Up 9

I agree that they shouldn't do Super Sonic every game, but I think that it's been long enough for them to do it again for Forces.

Also, I did not like Time Eater's music at all. I think it might be one of my least favorite parts of Generations. Just the music. The actual boss was pretty disappointing to me too.

17 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

So really, no, Super Sonic is not overused, in fact quite the opposite, it has been underused and has under-performed since Unleashed, which was the last time Super Sonic was used properly.

Not appearing in 2 out of 3 games since Unleashed is not "underused"...just no, that doesn't work. 

There's 13 games with a Super Sonic Final boss, Adventure 1 onward. Including Colors DS and Generations DS that's 15 games total. It hasn't been in every game, but that's clearly the majority.