Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Do you think the show would be better if it had 22 minute episodes instead? 

I think I understand where you're coming from. Like maybe the show can present ideas like Sonic feeling really unappreciated given how the villagers treat and maybe have Knuckles feel self-conscious for being seen a dumb .

55 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Do you think the show would be better if it had 22 minute episodes instead? 

I think I understand where you're coming from. Like maybe the show can present ideas like Sonic feeling really unappreciated given how the villagers treat and maybe have Knuckles feel self-conscious for being seen a dumb .

While I am fond of whole features, adventure time, steven universe , shows like that work and can tell stories in 10-15 minute intervals, and if it wants to be a comedy it can definitely  do that. 

I just want to establish itself in the land scape of sonic, and why its unique besides " the characters look kind of different," .And I know that might be a tall order considering the main franchise can't get its shit together terms of image, but sonic mania isn't letting that stop it. I think sonic boom TV, games ect can do it. I want it to make the argument to me, with output quality why it needs to exist. 

• Thumbs Up 2

27 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

While I am fond of whole features, adventure time, steven universe , shows like that work and can tell stories in 10-15 minute intervals, and if it wants to be a comedy it can definitely  do that. 

I just want to establish itself in the land scape of sonic, and why its unique besides " the characters look kind of different," .And I know that might be a tall order considering the main franchise can't get its shit together terms of image, but sonic mania isn't letting that stop it. I think sonic boom TV, games ect can do it. I want it to make the argument to me, with output quality why it needs to exist. 

What exactly do you think the show can do to be more unique when compared to other shows on Cartoon Network?

Maybe it could try to tackle serious issues that other Cartoon Network shows haven't really done recently? Or maybe it could become more character and story-driven like it was apparently advertised to be. (though the language wasn't really necessary, no offense). 

20 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

What exactly do you think the show can do to be more unique when compared to other shows on Cartoon Network?

Maybe it could try to tackle serious issues that other Cartoon Network shows haven't really done recently? Or maybe it could become more character and story-driven like it was apparently advertised to be. (though the language wasn't really necessary, no offense). 

Its not about it being unique in terms of CN

Its about sonic boom as a brand being unique in terms of its existence in sonic. its kind of unremarkable and doesn't stand out too much as a thing. 

It doesn't need serious stories, if they don't want to tell it. It needs identity, because of currently its just meh.  

Hmm, I can see where that aspect is coming from. I'd say Season 2 is doing a bit better with some of these elements so far, like making use of the Ancients, expanding the world and stuff. Although I don't really think the "well other shows are just funnier than Boom so change Boom" complaint works very well with me. I mean, Avatar was a great show that has very complex and realistic characters, very powerful and meaningful themes and messages and the works; does that mean if any other show isn't as good as Avatar then they should change it up so it can be as good?

This is just me but I'm perfectly fine with Boom being an action sitcom with the occasional action/adventure plots from time to time. I mean as they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Boom is doing well enough as it is, even in it's weakest there's something to enjoy about it. Like before Robots from the Sky, Do Not Disturb had an interesting plotline of how Sonic and Tails are like when they have to live with each other constantly. You'd think because they've been bros for as long as they remember, it should be going smoothly. But to my surprise, it's not. Tails just hates it when Sonic is always goofing off and making a mess and Sonic hates it when Tails is always telling him not to this and that and make him do stuff. That is a really interesting take and it goes to show that sometimes even the bestest of friends can't always be the best roommates. And there's stuff like in Eggman's Brother, where it finally takes up the aspect of Sonic hogging all the fights and his friends call him out on it. It shows an interesting case study of Sonic's character that he does tend to get ahead of himself.

It needs identity, because of currently its just meh.  

Sonic Boom has an identity, it's the more comical branch of the Sonic series currently. Modern hopefully is going to be the more serious while fun branch that people have been asking Sonic to be for quite a bit. Classic is a bit more lighthearted than Modern but it's more of the retro style.

Boom has already had itself clear what it wants to be, granted the Boom team can evolve the show without losing its pre-established tone but it depends on them on what they want to do with the show. 

Comedy is subjective, not everyone will find the same joke funny. And there is the fact that Boom's main audience are younger folks, fans of the series that also enjoy Boom are a nice bonus. 

I can see where you're coming from but eh, I think it's just one of those "agree to disagree" situations.

• Thumbs Up 3

@FriendBot 

You do make some good points. While at times I prefer a more serious show, comedy can be good too. As you've pointed out the show has grown since season 1 as it's more satirical and it does do a bit more world-building. This kind of brings to question if it would be smart to introduce more locations like a new island, new towns, etc. In addition giving more focus to more interesting characters like The bandicoot twins, Zooey, etc. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

@FriendBot 

You do make some good points. While at times I prefer a more serious show, comedy can be good too. As you've pointed out the show has grown since season 1 as it's more satirical and it does do a bit more world-building. This kind of brings to question if it would be smart to introduce more locations like a new island, new towns, etc. In addition giving more focus to more interesting characters like The bandicoot twins, Zooey, etc. 

I actually would dig having more plotlines focusing on the side characters more. The only time we've truly focused on them would be their debut episode, with the exception being Dave (Orbot and Cubot too if you count them as side characters). 

• Thumbs Up 1

Though one of the writers/story editors, Greg Hahn said this about Zooey on Twitter:

"She might show up here or there, but nothing significant that I can recall. Sorry :-/"

But things do change I mean originally there wasn't going to be any continuity or appearances of Shadow in the show. 

I mean, I hear people saying when will we get an episode about how Team Sonic first met up but I think either Alan or Greg said, they have no plans for such an episode. I guess you could always headcanonize it and live with that.

2 hours ago, FriendBot said:

Sonic Boom has an identity, it's the more comical branch of the Sonic series currently.

What does that mean, when 

1) the main games have been kind of that for a while

2) much like main games... it isn't that funny. 

3) bonus I don't think being funny is that much of an identity, if sega wanted they could just make a more funny actiony game of normal sonic and just... call it day. It needs more than that. Deadpool isn't unique because he's funny, deadpool is unique because he offers an interesting perspective on comic and uses humor as a vehicle for that. Humor in this case is a tool rather than a feature. And being humors is a unique feature when the rest of whatever context you exist lacks such a thing, sonic almost all the time has always been kind of funny or silly or goofy. And arguably more so now than ever before, and if so then why does sonic boom exist if humor is all it has. 

Modern hopefully is going to be the more serious while fun branch that people have been asking Sonic to be for quite a bit. Classic is a bit more lighthearted than Modern but it's more of the retro style.

I gave up on that when I saw classic sonic in the sonic forces trailer. I gave up on it more when I saw the gameplay, I gave up on it even more when I saw the character creator and the potential jumbled mess its looking like where it looks like they have shoved 3 games into one. And not like in a cool adventurer way , but in a "we don't have confidence in our product" kinda way. I don't think any part of that game will be able to shine with out undermining another part of that game. I hope they prove me wrong thing. 

Boom has already had itself clear what it wants to be, granted the Boom team can evolve the show without losing its pre-established tone but it depends on them on what they want to do with the show. 

I dissagree, it hasn't made itself clear to anything. It bumbled over its first few games and possibly ruined any chance of those doing a thing and has a cartoon functioning as essentially its own thing because the cartoon wasn't even supposed to be about the same product in the first. Boom is very unclear, heck I don't even know if boom will continue after this season. Boom is the most murky unclear part of sonic , because it fell flat on its face and no one knows whether its going to even stick around or not. And because it fell on its face, it has failed to establish what it is , along with just design wise it seeming a bunch of elements just thrown at a wall things that might appeal to children with out any actual thought about how those things even coalesce with each other in a meaningful fashion

Comedy is subjective, not everyone will find the same joke funny. And there is the fact that Boom's main audience are younger folks, fans of the series that also enjoy Boom are a nice bonus. 

Ok. But what about those cartoons for younger folks that are still quite funny and well made, and the jokes and visual humor are crafted well enough that those jokes transcend age and allow people to enjoy them for what they are. What about those cartoons that have existed for ever and right now , sonic boom does exist in vacuum. 

I watch cartoons with my nieces and nephews when I watch them, They like MLP, and that show is fun to watch has a identity both in tone and in visual style that this show just lacks. When Lauren foust created that show, she had an idea and mind an identity and created something that stood out among the years of MLP media that stood before it that not only separated itself, its now the defining standard for that whole franchise going forward and caused Hasbro to change their business structure because of it

Now I don't expsect sonic boom to be , some golden child that changes the problems at sega. Its not, one because there is a whole host of east vs west issues that don't exist in the Hasbro example. But two because it seems fairly obvious someone wanted to start a separate more western branch of sonic to get a separate different revenue type and they aimed at more of modern child audience and they didn't that Lauren foust that super creative super fan who had already happened to be in the industry that they were looking to go into and threw shit at a wall, and sega of japan watered down that wall, and that's what we got. All we can do is work with what we have. 

But to get back to my point Faust and all that, I watch and have watched things for kids, often because I have to watch kids. I don't like, a lot of it, and that's ok. But a lot of it whether it be reboots, or new shows or ect, I can respect what they have down and how they have made themselves identifiable different in their respective landscapes. And the bonus is sometimes I like it, sometimes you happen upon star vs the forces of evil or the most recent incarnation of TMNT and its super dope. So i don't have to like something, even I hate it, if it has its own identity all I can sit back and respect it , criticize sure, but respect it. 

Sonic boom as a brand still feels like a bunch of ideas folks had in a board room about what kids today like thrown at a wall and have yet to coalesce into anything artistically cohesive. 

Like if sonic boom ended, right now. Like after this season I will have not known what it i supposed to be, there is not a game, comic or episode of the show that I can point at and go " I guess this is supposed to be the general idea" 

I can see where you're coming from but eh, I think it's just one of those "agree to disagree" situations.

Maybe that's true. If you think differently and enjoy the show that's fine. Respecting your opinion, you have been very nice and humored me, thank you.  I'm glad you enjoy the show, because sonic boom the brand,  on multiple levels confuses the shit out of me. 

2 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

3) bonus I don't think being funny is that much of an identity, if sega wanted they could just make a more funny actiony game of normal sonic and just... call it day. It needs more than that. Deadpool isn't unique because he's funny, deadpool is unique because he offers an interesting perspective on comic and uses humor as a vehicle for that. Humor in this case is a tool rather than a feature. 

I gave up on that when I saw classic sonic in the sonic forces trailer, until I get proven other wise. Nah. 

I dissagree, it hasn't made itself clear to anything. It bumbled over its first few games and possibly ruined any chance of those doing a thing and has a cartoon functioning as essentially its own thing because the cartoon wasn't even supposed to be about the same product in the first. Boom is very unclear, heck I don't even know if boom will continue after this season. Boom is the most murky unclear part of sonic , because it fell flat on its face and no one knows whether its going to even stick around or not. And because it fell on its face, it has failed to establish what it is , along with just design wise it seeming a bunch of elements just thrown at a wall things that might appeal to children with out any actual thought about how those things even coalesce with each other in a meaningful fashion

Ok. But what about those cartoons for younger folks that are still quite funny and well made, and the jokes and visual humor are crafted well enough that those jokes transcend age and allow people to enjoy them for what they are. What about those cartoons that have existed for ever and right now , sonic boom does exist in vacuum. 

I watch cartoons with my nieces and nephews when I watch them, They like MLP, and that show is fun to watch has a identity both in tone and in visual style that this show just lacks. When Lauren foust created that show, she had an idea and mind an identity and created something that stood out among the years of MLP media that stood before it that not only separated itself, its now the defining standard for that whole franchise going forward and caused Hasbro to change their business structure because of it

Now I don't expsect sonic boom to be , some golden child that changes the problems at sega. Its not, one because there is a whole host of east vs west issues that don't exist in the Hasbro example. But two because it seems fairly obvious someone wanted to start a separate more western branch of sonic to get a separate different revenue type and they aimed at more of modern child audience and they didn't that Lauren foust that super creative super fan who had already happened to be in the industry that they were looking to go into and threw shit at a wall, and sega of japan watered down that wall, and that's what we got. All we can do is work with what we have. 

But to get back to my point Faust and all that, I watch and have watched things for kids, often because I have to watch kids. I don't like, a lot of it, and that's ok. But a lot of it whether it be reboots, or new shows or ect, I can respect what they have down and how they have made themselves identifiable different in their respective landscapes. And the bonus is sometimes I like it, sometimes you happen upon star vs the forces of evil or the most recent incarnation of TMNT and its super dope. So i don't have to like something, even I hate it, if it has its own identity all I can sit back and respect it , criticize sure, but respect it. 

Sonic boom as a brand still feels like a bunch of ideas folks had in a board room about what kids today like thrown at a wall and have yet to coalesce into anything artistically cohesive. 

Like if sonic boom ended, right now. Like after this season I will have not known what it i supposed to be, there is not a game, comic or episode of the show that I can point at and go " I guess this is supposed to be the general idea" 

Maybe that's true. If you think differently and enjoy the show that's fine. Respecting your opinion, you have been very nice and humored me, thank you.  I'm glad you enjoy the show, because sonic boom the brand,  on multiple levels confuses the shit out of me. 

What's the point in watching cartoons, if you think they should all be alike?! I like having shows feel unique or different from others, so quit trying to attack those who are fine with how Sonic Boom is being handled...

8 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

What's the point in watching cartoons, if you think they should all be alike?! I like having shows feel unique or different from others, so quit trying to attack those who are fine with how Sonic Boom is being handled...

I don't think they should be alike though?

Infact my point is that sonic boom should infact make itself unique. More so in sonic's landscape that cartoons, but that's what I want. 

Me criticizing it doesn't mean I want it to be adventure time, god no. Adventure time works for adventure and that's fine, but if it can learn something from adventure time is that you can do cool things while trying to be funny. And if it doesn't want to do cool stuff ( though considering this recent 4 parter, and the fact that its about sonic makes that idea weird) focus on the humor and make something unique and different, or at least interesting and well done.  I have yet to make a single statement suggesting I want sonic boom to like another cartoon. Everything I have said is a call to be different. 

Also I'm not attacking anyone... I actually thank the guy for talking to me in the thing you quoted. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Boom Season 2 episodes 17 and 18 are now on Youtube in CN HD on-demand quality., thanks to the channel I left a link to before. Blackout and Unnamed Episode are on this channel as well as In The Midnight Hour. At least this version of the Unnamed Episode is way clearer than the Boomerang version posted online, now in 720p - 1080p. Was hoping just to leave links, but the site already embedded the links as videos.

The Robots From The Sky episodes are among the best episodes in the series, alongside The Sidekick, the Shadow and Metal Sonic episodes, Alone Again Unnaturally and other episodes from the second season. Also they never said why there was a Nominatus symbol in Robots From The Sky Part 2 on Tails' scanner when scanning the Cubot Prototypes. Also they said what happened to Lyric at the end of Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric would be shown in the future, possibly the second season. D-Fekt and Team Sonic's Fire & Ice abilities could also appear in the second season, as Sonic Boom Fire & Ice takes place sometime during the second season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Watched all four parts in my native language and it's pretty great. it's full of action and fun. I kinda wished Boom was a multi-part series. I feel like the writers can do it really well. I have a feeling the season finale is a four partner as well, with Shadow being part of it. 

2 hours ago, no name said:

Does anyone remember the rumor about the Boom branch getting terminated

I really hope that rumor isn't true

From what I remember, it originated from a user here. User didn't really provided any cold-hard proof to back it up, no leak documents or anything. So we were left guessing. Although it could be possibly be true considering that Sega is currently not putting much focus on Boom anymore. To make you feel a little better, there is rumor about a possibility season 3 and there's some evidence backing it up. 

13 hours ago, Shadowlax said:

3) bonus I don't think being funny is that much of an identity, if sega wanted they could just make a more funny actiony game of normal sonic and just... call it day. It needs more than that. Deadpool isn't unique because he's funny, deadpool is unique because he offers an interesting perspective on comic and uses humor as a vehicle for that. Humor in this case is a tool rather than a feature. And being humors is a unique feature when the rest of whatever context you exist lacks such a thing, sonic almost all the time has always been kind of funny or silly or goofy. And arguably more so now than ever before, and if so then why does sonic boom exist if humor is all it has. 

I gave up on that when I saw classic sonic in the sonic forces trailer. I gave up on it more when I saw the gameplay, I gave up on it even more when I saw the character creator and the potential jumbled mess its looking like where it looks like they have shoved 3 games into one. And not like in a cool adventurer way , but in a "we don't have confidence in our product" kinda way. I don't think any part of that game will be able to shine with out undermining another part of that game. I hope they prove me wrong thing. 

Tbh the only game main games that was really going for a more comedic tone was Colors, 4 years before Boom was even announced. Gens had no tone. Lost World was a mix of lighthearted and dark tones so yeah. Can't say Modern Sonic is just like Boom from how I perceive things.

And that's your opinion if Boom isn't that funny to you, as you can already see here people do find the show very funny and entertaining and it is notable enough in its writing to be nominated at several film festivals and won an award. They could do a funny action game with Boom though, maybe something like a game so over-the-top in action it's hilarious kind of deal that would be fun for a Boom game.

And I'm sure Deadpool is more than just the meta psycho assassin everyone knows him to be but his comical flair is very unique compared to other Marvel heroes that he's going to stand out no matter what you put him in. In a sense that kind of unique comical flair is what Boom has compared to the other interpretations of the series, the action was always the focus while comedy is to help ease up the tension in most interpretations of Sonic (and when I mean most, I mean when it was atleast decently executed). Not many Sonic outlets was mainly comedy focused outside of AoStH and early Archie but those interpretations are well over 20 years old. So yeah, I'd say a more modern comical take on the characters is past due considering we already have 3 action cartoons and a OVA.

Yes, when Boom first came out it was a shitshow and terribly mismanaged. I was here when the fallout happened, you don't need to remind me of it. But with Fire & Ice, it does show that Boom's main focus is the show and not both doing their own things under the same brand name like in 2014. And I can very much see Season 3 happening, the ratings for the past couple of episodes have been woobly but  they're still pretty high numbers for a channel that in reality, most people just won't bother to tune in. If Boom was doing really awful in Boomerang, it would be like at 10-20K and not a 80-100K range. It's gonna happen and who knows what direction they would go with that season.

But there is a lot of smart writing in Boom that not many kids will pick up. The episode that many people seem to look down upon from Season 1, Just a Guy, is such an episode. It tackles on how overly sensitive people can be and people trying to solve a problem without fully understanding what the problem is (although looking at more episodes that just seems to be a flaw of Amy's caring nature, she thinks she has an idea on what's the matter and refuses to think otherwise). Unnamed Episode dabbled a bit on racism with how the villagers grew very spiteful of Sticks because of how her ancestor did the village wrong. Or in Battle of the Boy Bands where it satirizes the pop music industry. I can throw many examples of the more wittier/social commentary episodes the Boom writers have done. They are definitely not talking down to kids *unlikeAoStH* there are plenty of jokes that kids won't get but fans or older people will do and get a kick out of. While Boom is very much a kids focused show, it's all inclusive.

I mean, if you still have no idea on what is Boom supposed to be and "action sitcom" isn't a good enough answer for you, then I got nothing else to say and I'll just be repeating myself at this point.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's starting to get a bit more like Animaniacs, as well as WB's early 90s output. Quite a few snarky jokes that fly over most kids' heads, with the occasional innuendo (the schnauzer bit from Fuzzy Puppy Buddies). I hope they keep this up! 

Oh, adult jokes were always kind of a thing in Sonic cartoons. For example, the literal "Blowup doll" from the first episode of AoStH.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention the infamous Pingas line from that series, as well as Bunnie's bedtime story (to Tails) in SatAM. Dirty girl... 

4 hours ago, FriendBot said:

I mean, if you still have no idea on what is Boom supposed to be and "action sitcom" isn't a good enough answer for you, then I got nothing else to say and I'll just be repeating myself at this point.

There are a lot of action sitcoms, what makes it unique in that landscape, furthermore, what makes it unique enough in the sonic landscape to justify its continued existence. Not the show, the brand in general, why couldn't this have been just normal sonic on a funnier bent. Action sitcom isn't a good enough answer for me, because it fumbles at being that and isn't really that good on either front, along with games and other media. And the brand that its in , it uses nothing to actually differentiate itself from the crowd than just " the characters look kinda different , and there is a shitty version of shadow here for some odd reason " . 

There is a difference between understanding on paper what it is supposed to be, and not understanding how something is or rather came together. You can say what it supposed to be , as a brand all day but until i'm shown something in some sort of cohesive artistic manner that indicate such things, its a confusing clusterfuck. 

I just checked ToonZone, CN's schedule for June will be released on June 5th or June 6th. Apparently, Cartoon Network counts the first 5 days of June as May. When the schedule gets renewed I will post the link and list the new Sonic Boom episode titles here. Here is the Link.

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/cartoon-network-may-2017-premiere-info.5596901/

1 hour ago, no name said:

Sonic Boom Season 2 getting promotion will give the viewership little to no boost because just about everyone who has access to Boomerang already knows that the show is airing and most people who see Sonic Boom Season 2 promotion on Tumblr or the livestreams don't have Boomerang so that's probably why it isn't getting much promotion by SEGA right now

That still doesn't excuse Sega from doing a poor job at giving the show a chance in other forms. There are still no ways of legally purchasing the episodes on blu ray, dvd, or digital hd... Meanwhile, France has had all of season 1 on dvd since about a year ago, and the United States still has no form of home video release... It's their loss, I'd definitely be willing to buy the episodes for a fair price, but Sega apparently likes to waste money, I guess...

Looks like to me Alan Denton just confirmed Metal Sonic for Season 2 with new info.