Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

Is anyone down for some details about today's episode from Alan Denton? No? Well too bad bucko!

Welcome to another round of Denton Details!

• Thumbs Up 7

Just now, Soni said:

What was the point, since all they did was shut down any chance of Amy being useful with her archaeology skills?... Wasted opportunity if you ask me. 

What do you know, I was able to point those last two facts out during an analysis post I made a few hours before these posts were put up on Twitter. 

I'm glad the references to RoL in the episode are intentional. It goes to show that the contributions it made to the Boom universe haven't been forgotten in spite of the game's poor reception and helps to cement the fact that it is indeed a prequel to the show.

• Thumbs Up 4

I will say the addition of the glowing skins feels a heck of a lot more natural and well-implemented in comparison to the way they try to force the enerbeam into a few episodes here and there. So they get kudos for that.

This was a pretty action heavy episode, almost deriving all of its entertainment value from combat. Not a bad thing, but it certainly bucks the trend of some of the better episodes this season which leaned almost exclusively on clever writing and solid plots.

My two cents

Spoiler

I kinda like the idea of Sticks expanding her combat arsenal. Its becoming a running gag in this season that Sticks always seems to show up to fights with a different primary weapon. Her boomerang has already been complemented with nun-chucks, cross-bows and nets. In this episode, she brings a long staff and whatever you want to call those oversize padded cotton swabs the gang was using for practice.

On that note, I love how they showed off Sonic's versatility in combat. For all his spindash-solves-everything prowess, across all the videogames/comics/TV shows one of Sonic's biggest complements has always been the ability to use his athleticism in combination with his craftiness. He went toe to toe with Sticks and Knuckles and thanks to his quick reflexes and unmatched physical gifts, was able to turn the tables on Knux and out duel Sticks - despite her skills with weapons of all kinds. good stuff.

Sonic's suit got me thinking a bit about Charlie. I can only imagine that the next time we see this suit, He'll be going toe to toe against Knux's primary villain. (I'd almost hate to see that. I like Charlie being a bane to Knux). Its curious as to how much Sonic's suit seems to outclass Charlie's. Perhaps Charlie's suit will fall into a few extra functions as a result of this episode. I can see it now. Bellinda will be thrilled to bits.

"put on a belt" Classic. Nuff Said.

and lastly, did anyone else get major Mathew Machanaey vibes from ladies man Sonic?

• Thumbs Up 3

On 2/4/2017 at 6:13 PM, SonicWind said:

Wow, was that a great episode or what?! "Mech Suits Me" was funny and action-packed! Plus, Sonic gets to keep the mech without the risk of possession just in case (thank goodness-- Mech!Sonic was a little scary)! Another good one from Denton and Hahn!

Good for you, SonicWind. For me, it was disappointing. I mean, come on. Not even Peter Parker turned evil in an instant when he had the symbiote on him. It happened gradually. I can't help but feel like this episode should have been Part 1, where the mech suit starts to change Sonic. Then, in Part 2, Sonic has completely changed and the rest of Team Sonic must find a way to stop him.

At the end of the Mech Suits Me episode, I would have Amy ask if Sonic remembers anything, to Sonic replies, "Well... I definitely remember the twins". Amy gets a bit upset but tries to hide it, and when Sonic is about to lie about disliking the twins, Amy stops him in his tracks.

THAT'S what the episode should have done, to show emotionally mature Amy is.

2 hours ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

At the end of the Mech Suits Me episode, I would have Amy ask if Sonic remembers anything, to Sonic replies, "Well... I definitely remember the twins". Amy gets a bit upset but tries to hide it, and when Sonic is about to lie about disliking the twins, Amy stops him in his tracks.

THAT'S what the episode should have done, to show emotionally mature Amy is.

But to be fair, you would like the show to portray Amy as emotionally mature, while I don't really share that view. I was actually quite happy with the ending, as the ending you proposed implies that Amy knows that Sonic still likes the twins, while the actual ending leaves Amy ignorant, and I think I prefer it like that. Amy isn't really my favourite character, and your ending attributes a quality of sensibleness and intelligence to Amy, which I don't really associate her with.

I'm not sexist, I like her and all, but I think of her as more of a touchy character than sensitive, (at least when Sonic is concerned).

• Thumbs Up 2

So accoriding to Alan Denton on Twitter above, Perci is a member of a set of triplets. That's nice. And what about the bunch of recolored copies of her? Cousins? Clones?

10 hours ago, MysteriousGirl 92 said:

Good for you, SonicWind. For me, it was disappointing. I mean, come on. Not even Peter Parker turned evil in an instant when he had the symbiote on him. It happened gradually. I can't help but feel like this episode should have been Part 1, where the mech suit starts to change Sonic. Then, in Part 2, Sonic has completely changed and the rest of Team Sonic must find a way to stop him.

if it happened gradually and divided by two parts, i think it would have been tiring and slow paced.. . that's not really the style of the best episodes of this show... it has to be fast, concrete, not so confusing and yet try to end not so rushie.

i like that they didn't lost time and quickly stated that Sonic was being affected by the Machine, so they can move on with the rest of the arguments through the episode in a quick way.. i don't like too much the overfocus on stuff like where the main hero becomes evil for A or B reason (AKA not acting like himself) so i was very happy with how in this episode that was managed ^_^

--------

so yeah!  i'm so glad! i was a bit worried at first but at the end i enjoyed the episode!

even if the lightning looked a bit off at time, i was so happy to see the most of this episode looked pretty good.. the animation looks so nice too! the action scenes were neat it reminded me a lot of the Mecha animes XD  <3 

i loved that the writers decided to mention stuff about the ancients, i don't know if i missunderstood or something? Sonic said the ancients had "swag? :lol: haha

i also liked that even Sonic being a villain i still an awkward dork XD..i mean this because his evil laugh were not so cool as if would be Shadow but that's why i liked that

also Perci being flirtly to Sonic there, it made me think that maybe Amy was a bit right about her in "fire in a crowed workshop" ? XD or maybe it was because she likes mechanic stuff lol :D

• Thumbs Up 3

If Sega were to hire another company to make a new 3d platform adventure game of Sonic Boom, do you know what might be a fun little addition? So imagine if there was a new Sonic Boom game for Switch, and it's gameplay was more similar to the Sonic Adventure games, what if it included a spiritual replacement for the Chao Garden in the form of the board game Fuzzy Puppies? The main game would allow you to spend the rings you collected from action stages, and you can use them to buy character pieces and accessories for the Fuzzy Puppies Strategy game, and there would be an optional side mode to allow you to play the game against CPU players, along with possible online multiplayer. Winning games of Fuzzy Puppies can unlock more content in the game, like alternate costumes, and new abilities for the main playable characters, which could include Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, and Sticks.

I really think Sega shouldn't let Rise of Lyric's bad performance stop them from trying to make a better 3d platforming Sonic game, and I think a Fuzzy Puppy side mode could be a fun way to add some replay value to the main game. 

The episode was good, but they played that god awful emo music from Spider-Man 3 during the montage with Evil Sonic :( 

Just now, sonicspeed2017 said:

The episode was good, but they played that god awful emo music from Spider-Man 3 during the montage with Evil Sonic :( 

So? At least Sonic didn't look emo, and didn't do some embarrassing dancing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

So? At least Sonic didn't look emo, and didn't do some embarrassing dancing. 

true, if they did that, I would of turned off the TV immediately

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Drawloverlala said:

i also liked that even Sonic being a villain i still an awkward dork XD..i mean this because his evil laugh were not so cool as if would be Shadow but that's why i liked that

The interesting thing here, is that they must have intended for him to sound like that. Looking back to season 1, and that body swap episode, we know that RCS can pull off a more... believably sinister sounding Sonic if he needed to. He had a fantastic evil laugh in that one too.

The campy jerk face Sonic we got for this episode actually fit really well. Even though I adored the voice work done in that Season 1 episode, I have to say they made the right choice by playing up Sonic's campy side for this one. Made it that much more enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Sega DogTagz said:

The interesting thing here, is that they must have intended for him to sound like that. Looking back to season 1, and that body swap episode, we know that RCS can pull off a more... believably sinister sounding Sonic if he needed to. He had a fantastic evil laugh in that one too.

The campy jerk face Sonic we got for this episode actually fit really well. Even though I adored the voice work done in that Season 1 episode, I have to say they made the right choice by playing up Sonic's campy side for this one. Made it that much more enjoyable.

I liked how they made him sound more sinister than they did with him in The Meteor episode, and it made sense. In the Meteor episode, we got an idea of what an evil Sonic would have sounded like, but we all know it was really Eggman trapped in Sonic's body, so it didn't really come off as an evil Sonic. In this new episode however, we actually got to see what it would be like for Sonic to have evil intentions, without having Eggman's mind or traits. They didn't just recycle his goofy behavior from when Eggman was in his body.

This episode did a decent job at showing Sonic develop into a more villainous form as the episode progressed. He started off as a bullying jerk, but quickly developed into a diabolical maniac. I thought the episode did a great job at making it look like Sonic really was possessed by some form of evil. There are many shows that have taken this plot point, but the evil transitions never felt natural, or felt too forced into the plot. In other shows where character turn evil, it just feels like the characters were turned into a stereotypical villain, instead of putting a lot of thought into merging their traits over into an evil form, and they usually shove in the evil transformation half way through the episode, instead of developing into it early on. It can be very misleading for an episode to present itself as one thing, but take too sudden of a turn, that it changes the tone of the episode.  I remember how shows like Fairly Odd Parents, Jimmy Neutron, and many others have used this plot device. There was an episode of Fairly Odd Parents where Timmy turned evil, along with a Jimmy Neutron episode where Sheen turned evil, and I felt the writers did a terrible job at convincing the viewers that the characters themselves really turned evil. Both just suddenly decided to become evil in those episodes, and we didn't get to see much of their original personalities mixed into the evil transformation.

Sonic Boom did a better job, we saw Sonic gradually become more evil as the episode progressed. He didn't gain any super intelligence, and he still managed to have a liking for chili dogs and such. He wasn't talking like he was suddenly an almighty evil genius, he was just talking in a darker and more sinister tone, but he was still a bit of a goofball. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Liked the Mech Suits Me episode mostly due to the action and characterization. 

The opening was pretty nice and tense, the sunset lighting in that fitted and Sonic got to show some moves again. Also to point out how quick he was able to master the suit. The suit itself has got a shiz ton of features, boosters, rollerblades, a shield, a laser that can destroy things in ONE GO, and another final blast. Characterization was nice; Sonic was really good in his aggressive self. Gotta hand it to Roger for those evil laughs and the deep voice. And these expressions really show how aggressive Sonic was-

tumblr_inline_oky6mxNhMm1taxesp_500.png

latest?cb=20170205032101

latest?cb=20170205014628

The rest of the gang was cool tho, finding out it was the Mech suit causing problems and doing what they can to save their friend. Lost it at the Hell's Kitchen reference, and when Eggman adjusted his drooping moustache. The evil montage was funny too, even the suit has a moustache! XD The way Sonic shot Eggman was also funny, Eggman is literally spinning around in the Eggmobile and then he just torpedoes down to the ground after being shot.

tumblr_inline_oky4581Ap51taxesp_500.gif

Found the ending to be pretty funny as well. Here's hoping Fiendbot will be interesting!

• Thumbs Up 3

I just read somewhere about the cover art for the 25th anniversary book collection and the picture was Classic, Modern, and Boom Sonic. So they still acknowledge Boom which is cool, but you gotta love it when people said they wouldn't buy the book because Boom stuff is in it (they probably weren't going to buy it anyway lol)

Anyways, I've been gone the last two eps and I thought I should share my thoughts now.

"Knuck Knuck, Who's There?" was a decent ep. Nothing stood out to me too much. The amnesia plot was kind of just tossed in there and could've been incorporated better or thrown out entirely. Loved the antics with Mrs. Vandersnout and Lady Walrus, and it was nice to see Charlie and Belinda again. Overall, good ep, nothing too major in particular.

"Mech Suits Me" on the other hand was pretty awesome. The scene in the beginning went full on predator and it was hilarious. Eggman's reference Gordon Ramsey was funny too. Evil Sonic managed to somehow be intimidating, dorky, and just silly, which I didn't even know was possible lol. We get more references to the ancients which is cool, and that ending bit with Sonic and Amy, was quite hilarious. Honestly, this probably ranks as one of my favorites episodes of the series. The writers did a good job with this ep.

Speaking of the ancients, I feel like they're trying to build up to something with them. We had two episodes from Season 1 that mentioned them, and this episode that mentioned them. Not only that, Sonic mentions that mech suit kind of looks like him, which I honestly don't think that that's just a throw away line. I'm thinking that one of the multi-parters will be focusing on the ancients, rather it be the ancients themselves or possibly Lyric making contact with the show. One of the things stated for this season was "potent crystals" which could be the Chaos Crystals that Lyric really wanted.

Granted, I could be over thinking things here, but it's just something that I wanted to bring up.:)

We can't say for sure since we're like about a quarter way in but hey, anything can happen in the next 39 episodes.

3 minutes ago, Soni said:

We can't say for sure since we're like about a quarter way in but hey, anything can happen in the next 39 episodes.

Yeah I know. I'm just speculating is all. I could easily be wrong about all of this lol.

"Mech Suits Me" I thought was a solid episode. Plenty of action to enjoy and there were definitely some laughs here and there yet something about this episode aside from the pacing felt off to me. There were also references to go around even within the Sonic Boom universe itself as well as some jabs that were fun to catch.

As for observations for this episode as there is always something interesting to see in Sonic Boom:

hvq1X7C.png?1
The colors of the bars that each member of Team Sonic has during the game of Jungle Predator matches each main color of them respectively.

OLSujqJ.jpg?1
Amy's comment about the studios recycling old properties is a total jab towards Sonic Boom and the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise as a whole. Sonic and Tails' reactions got a chuckle out of me :P

Pk3hlQC.png?1
Team Sonic: Now with glow in the dark sports tape! (Sticks not included) ^_^ 

8wnAxu0.png?1
As soon as I saw those red eyes on Sonic, I knew this was trouble. This whole thing with the mech controlling him and making him evil reminds me of when Cubot went through something similar after being connected to a Crabmeat in Sonic Lost World.

n12Buz7.png?1
While waiting in line at Meh Burger an impatient Sonic in the mech suit taps his foot-like he has in other continuities!

EbAw9TX.png?1
"Put on a belt!" This scene and that joke there got a good laugh out of me :D

krJSKoZ.png?1
Sonic flirting with Perci and Staci

3N9nUcN.png?1
Even the Mech suit has on a silver mustache during Dr. Eggman's fantasy thoughts here! :P

ukGg1gf.png?1
Props to Cubot here actually reasoning and being right on point! Noted that Orbot, while present, didn't speak in this episode.

AiFGe4Z.png?1
And Sonic's back! Two feet on the ground, green eyes and all! ;)

Although "Mech Suit Me" was full of action, humor, and a range of references including that of Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric, I thought the episode was alright. Definitely not bad but not necessarily good in my opinion amid it's bright spots. I liked how Knuckles didn't want to fight Sonic at the end of the episode. Interestingly enough, the reverse happened with Sonic, Tails, Amy and Sticks not wanting to fight Knuckles during their battle with Charlie and Belinda in the episode prior. Love the loyalty the members of Team Sonic has for one another and helping each other out despite the conflicts with them all being united in the end as that's awesome :). "Fiendbot" is next up and as always I'm looking forward to the next Sonic Boom episode! :)

• Thumbs Up 8

14 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

"Mech Suits Me" on the other hand was pretty awesome.

To me, it was rushed. This should have been a two-part episode, where Sonic's suit begins to change him in Part 1, and Team Sonic must find a way to stop a completely changed Sonic in Part 2.

Evil Sonic managed to somehow be intimidating

Yes, he did. When Sonic wore the discount Charlie mech suit for, what, 5 seconds.

that ending bit with Sonic and Amy, was quite hilarious

All Amy did was glare at Sonic for remembering the female bandicoot twins and calm down when Sonic lied about disliking them. So... it's OK for Amy to flirt and fall in love with random guys, but when Sonic flirts with or talks to a girl, it's not? That girl is unbelievable.

11 hours ago, Kiah said:

OLSujqJ.jpg?1
Amy's comment about the studios recycling old properties is a total jab towards Sonic Boom and the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise as a whole. Sonic and Tails' reactions got a chuckle out of me :P

krJSKoZ.png?1
Sonic flirting with Perci and Staci

1. That is legit my favorite joke in the whole series. The jab and studios rebooting old properties and everyone just standing awkwardly because they are a recycled property.

2. So I guess all it took for Perci to be as attracted to Sonic as he was to her was a giant murderous venom Suit. Girl has very specific tastes it seems.

52 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

1. That is legit my favorite joke in the whole series. The jab and studios rebooting old properties and everyone just standing awkwardly because they are a recycled property.

2. So I guess all it took for Perci to be as attracted to Sonic as he was to her was a giant murderous venom Suit. Girl has very specific tastes it seems.

Is it just me, or did the show kind of ruin Perci? Say what you want about Rise of Lyric, but I loved Perci in that game. She was the only helpful character on Bygone Island, and was the only one who cared about what Lyric was up to. Not even Sticks was given that supportive of a role. She was too busy wanting to fill her obsession with shiny things, The Mayor was too absorbed with getting reelected, Fastidious was too busy bragging about some stupid speed record, and so on.

Meanwhile, Perci knew something bad was coming when she heard Lyric had returned, and she fought against the stubborn masses of the island, in order to help save everyone. She was the only one willing to help Sonic and friends out. Perci had a strong sense of justice in the video game.

Now when you compare that to her TV show counterpart, she's quite the opposite. She's constantly flirting and messing around with everyone, including Tails for being a handy mechanic, Knuckles for suddenly being famous, and now Sonic, just because he was in a mech suit. She's practically turned into a shallow materialist, who is only into people for what they have. That is not the Perci we knew from Rise of Lyric. I liked Perci better when she actually had a selfless role, instead of being treated like some eye candy for the villagers to swoon over.

• Thumbs Up 1