Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

1 hour ago, RedFox99 said:

That's pretty sad to hear. He seemed like one of the few decent background characters. Do you think there might be an in-canon reason for his change of character?

Maybe over-concern from the Shadow attack? I myself never liked him, because he's ugly.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Miru the Living Planet said:

Maybe over-concern from the Shadow attack? 

That's an interesting idea. Maybe the stress from all the attacks are starting to get to him.

So yeah... this week's episode was a really (really) on-the-nose commentary/parody/sendup/whatever of social media...

Yeah I wasn't really feeling this one.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Chain Letter"... eh, I dunno. I didn't really enjoy this one. Not a lot of laughs (the Peanuts reference is the only one I remember chuckling at, at least) and only one action scene that wasn't even all that good.

It's not bad, just... meh. Hopefully Vector's episode doesn't disappoint.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

"Chain Letter"... eh, I dunno. I didn't really enjoy this one. Not a lot of laughs and only one action scene that wasn't even all that good.

Are there any cons you can recall?

6 minutes ago, SonicWind said:

"Chain Letter"... eh, I dunno. I didn't really enjoy this one. Not a lot of laughs and only one action scene that wasn't even all that good.

I mean not everything has to be comedy. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

What did you think about it?

I think it wasn't a bad episode. It kinda shows how social media is in the real world and the political things happening. If you think about Sonic Boom has truth bombs in a few episodes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, SonicFlameFairy56 said:

I think it wasn't a bad episode. It kinda shows how social media is in the real world and the political things happening. If you think about Sonic Boom has truth bombs in a few episodes.

So it was like a PSA?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, SonicFlameFairy56 said:

What's PSA again?

Public Service Announcement. It's like one of those commercials that tell you the negative effects of drugs so you don't do them.

Chain Letter was kind of forgettable. It wasn't terrible for say, but I feel like there really wasn't a story to tell. It just dragged on. The episode had some unexpected twists, but they really didn't do anything with it.

The episode starts off with Eggman realizing he has no friends, and he tries getting friends for a social app called Friendspace. Eggman sucks up to a bunch of random villagers, only to get impatient with them, or lose interest. He then desperately asks Sonic to friend him, but Sonic refuses. Eggman grows depressed, and Sonic actually feels guilty, and ends up friending him. Sonic regrets it when Eggman keeps posting him messages, pics, gifs, articles, and videos non stop. The humor in this episode felt very flat, it was just generically poking fun at social media trends, without putting any fun or unique spins on it. We just saw the villagers moan about how certain trends are obsolete, or Sonic moan about getting another cat video. I've seen very fun and creative jabs at worn out internet trends online, but this episode wasn't trying, it was just lazily repeating what others already have said about internet trends, without spicing it up to make it feel more fresh and humorous.

Eggman's messaging gets too distracting, to the point where Sonic unfriends Eggman. Eggman is upset that Sonic unfriended him and blocked him, that Eggman stoops to the level of making his own social network called Scramblr, and he let's everyone but Sonic sign up for it. Scramblr becomes a hit, and Sonic feels left out that everyone is on Scramblr, yet he can't join in to hang out with them. Sonic approaches Eggman, and confronts Eggman about what he did, and tries to tell Eggman that he understands why he's doing this, but he's surprised to find Eggman feeling depressed. Eggman revealed that although he invented a new social media hit, no one wants to friend him on it, despite being it's creator. Sonic feels bad for Eggman, and makes a deal to be Eggman's friend on Scramblr, if Eggman agrees to let him join Scramblr. Eggman actually allows Sonic to join it, and Sonic is enjoying it at first, but Eggman instantly unfriends Sonic and laughs about it. Eggman then decides to get back at everyone, and shuts down Scramblr, just to ruin everyone's fun. The episode ends abruptly with everyone in the village booing Eggman and throwing stuff at him.

This episode was boring and unfunny. The only thing that stood out from it, was a Charlie Brown reference, during a part where Sonic tried kicking a soccer ball, only for Eggman to pick it up and trip Sonic, leaving Sonic to say "good grief" that was the only part to kind of make me laugh, but the rest of the humor was bland. I've heard these jokes before, and I've seen them done better as well. This episode just felt like a cynical approach to mocking internet trends, but wasn't trying to be clever about it, it was just telling us what we already know. I wouldn't call it an awful or offensive episode,  it was just bland.

Also, Sticks was entirely absent in this episode. I can kind of understand why though, she hates technology, and we've already seen episodes where she rants about it, so putting her in this episode would have just reduced her to ranting about it. However, that could have worked for an episode. To see one where Sticks notices everyone is too busy using technology, and she starts to feel lonely. They could have written this episode out to be about Sticks stooping to the levels of wanting to give in, in order to keep in touch with her friends. Instead of a concept like that, they ignored her entirely, and made a bland episode about Eggman acting pathetic, and making Sonic feel left out, while throwing a bunch of bland repetitive jokes around.

Hopefully Vector the Detector will be much better than the last two episodes we just got, I wasn't too impressed with them. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Public Service Announcement. It's like one of those commercials that tell you the negative effects of drugs so you don't do them.

yeah basically like that

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

No, it didn't feel like a PSA, it felt like a bunch of old writers hate modern trends, and just want to poke fun at it, by using bland jokes that have been over done to death. There really wasn't anything original, or educational about it. 

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, SonicFlameFairy56 said:

I mean not everything has to be comedy. 

That and you don't need to laugh at every second of the episode for it to be enjoyable.

I only laughed a few times during the episode, and that's it. But I don't think the episode is bad because of it. The goal is to make you laugh, and it sure as hell managed to do that to me. lol

• Thumbs Up 3

11 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

That and you don't need to laugh at every second of the episode for it to be enjoyable.

I only laughed a few times during the episode, and that's it. but I don't think the episode is bad because of it. The goal is to make you laugh, and it sure as hell managed to do that to me. lol

It was more than a lack of laughs that made me personally dislike it though. It was overall boring, nothing really happened, it felt like a waste of time. For a comedy show, their goal is to make people laugh, so it's kind of important for an episode in a comedy to be funny. It didn't even feel like this episode was trying to be creative, it was just lazily taking what has already been said and done, but doing nothing to spice it up.

What was the point in making an episode about Eggman trying to make friends, when we all knew things weren't going to work out in the end? There are too many episodes where Eggman tries to act like he's doing something nice, only to screw the idea, and realize he likes being evil more. It gets old real fast, and that's basically all this episode was, it was another pity party of trying to make the viewers feel bad for Eggman, just for him to go back to being an evil jerk again, no element of surprise whatsoever. The plot felt too mixed up as well, and unfocused. One minute it's about Eggman acting pathetic, and expecting people to friend him, without earning it, then it turns into an episode of Sonic getting annoyed with Eggman, then it turns into a episode about Eggman making a social network, and Sonic starts feeling left out because of it. How did the focus jump from Eggman to Sonic so suddenly? 

I'm glad you were able to like it, but I personally just didn't care for it. Despite not being given much screen time, at least the others weren't portrayed badly. Eggman felt a bit more pathetic than usual, but I didn't feel like Knuckles, Amy, or Tails were giving Sonic a hard time, or anything like that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

It was more than a lack of laughs that made me personally dislike it though. It was overall boring, nothing really happened, it felt like a waste of time. For a comedy show, their goal is to make people laugh, so it's kind of important for an episode in a comedy to be funny. It didn't even feel like this episode was trying to be creative, it was just lazily taking what has already been said and done, but doing nothing to spice it up.

What was the point in making an episode about Eggman trying to make friends, when we all knew things weren't going to work out in the end? There are too many episodes where Eggman tries to act like he's doing something nice, only to screw the idea, and realize he likes being evil more. It gets old real fast, and that's basically all this episode was, it was another pity party of trying to make the viewers feel bad for Eggman, just for him to go back to being an evil jerk again, no element of surprise whatsoever. The plot felt too mixed up as well, and unfocused. One minute it's about Eggman acting pathetic, and expecting people to friend him, without earning it, then it turns into an episode of Sonic getting annoyed with Eggman, then it turns into a episode about Eggman making a social network, and Sonic starts feeling left out because of it. How did the focus jump from Eggman to Sonic so suddenly? 

I'm glad you were able to like it, but I personally just didn't care for it. Despite not being given much screen time, at least the others weren't portrayed badly. Eggman felt a bit more pathetic than usual, but I didn't feel like Knuckles, Amy, or Tails were giving Sonic a hard time, or anything like that. 

Why are you not posting any screenshots for the latest episode of Sonic Boom?

Just now, SonicBoomFan101 said:

It probably takes a while to do so.

7 minutes ago, SonicBoomFan101 said:

I don't have as many screenshots for this episode, the visual quality was dropping at times, but here are a few links to some screenshots.
http://spongicx.tumblr.com/post/164912494623/screenshots-from-sonic-boom-chain-letter
tumblr_ovog05mvCk1rhnd8ro3_1280.jpg
http://spongicx.tumblr.com/post/164912592533/screenshots-from-sonic-boom-chain-letter-amy-and
tumblr_ovog59fNRG1rhnd8ro9_1280.jpg
http://spongicx.tumblr.com/post/164912633413/screenshots-from-sonic-boom-chain-letter
tumblr_ovog7twnaP1rhnd8ro4_1280.jpg

2 minutes ago, SonicBoomFan101 said:

I was expecting, where's the TV Rip to the latest Sonic Boom episode "Chain Letter?"

Try to be patient, okay?

It was more than a lack of laughs that made me personally dislike it though.

My post wasn't directed at you. Or anyone, for that matter. So I'm not sure why you're phrasing this in a way that, to me, comes off as if it was.

For a comedy show, their goal is to make people laugh, so it's kind of important for an episode in a comedy to be funny.

See bolded part:

3 hours ago, SSF1991 said:

There's a difference between "I didn't laugh" and "I laughed, but not often". If it's the latter, then the show did make you laugh and saying the show was at fault for not doing so is contradictory, in my opinion. This also applies if you're saying "the show's boring" and "nothing happened". If you actually did laugh at the show at some point, then clearly something did happen and it didn't bore you that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, SSF1991 said:

My post wasn't directed at you. Or anyone, for that matter. So I'm not sure why you're phrasing this in a way that, to me, comes off as if it was.

See bolded part:

There's a difference between "I didn't laugh" and "I laughed, but not often". If it's the latter, then the show did make you laugh and saying the show was at fault for not doing so is contradictory, in my opinion. This also applies if you're saying "the show's boring" and "nothing happened". If you actually did laugh at the show at some point, then clearly something did happen and it didn't bore you that much.

Well, it's your opinion, I can't expect  to change yours, and you can't expect me to change mine. If it made you laugh, fair enough. I personally don't think one small laugh automatically makes something good though. There are plenty of bad movies where critics claimed there was one small laugh, but it didn't make up for the rest of the film. The same principles can apply to tv show episodes. 

Just because I didn't like certain episodes doesn't mean I'm trashing or hating on the show.