Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

2 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Rouge "never" appearing in Boom may have less to do with her being prohibited as a character but could actually mean Boom has been cancelled...Mr Freiberger has said many times he's not be able to confirm or deny a season 3 renewal, but it could be a subtle hint, just saying..

She's a character I thought would fit really well in this show and I actually thought she would appear in "The Midnight Hour", but yeah.

It was pretty obvious Sega's restrictions are the reason the game characters are not used more often. I really don't get Sega's logic behind this, though, it's like they never really knew what they wanted the Boom franchise to be. Or maybe it's more of an internal conflict like Sega of Japan, who never liked the Boom project to begin with, refusing to lend more of Sonic Team's characters to a Western production. Sometimes I wonder who even organizes this company.

I don't know, I feel like if that was the reasoning than he wouldn't have bothered with the question at all. Maybe that's just me being optimistic, but I'm still not convinced to the show's cancellation yet, and with it coming to Netflix UK and possibly Netflix US, they have no reason to cancel it.

And if Sega of Japan really didn't like Boom, why would they release the Boom games (with an alternate name) along with a Japanese dub of Season 1 as well? But I do agree with the stigma of how poorly Sega's treated the other characters, and I was hoping Boom could be a medium to where they could get more action, but aside from the main cast, the guest characters only seem to appear in one episode for a season, which bums me out. The only other medium where the characters get much showtime is the Olympic games, which is pretty sad all things considered.

• Thumbs Up 1

So have we any more information on 'Cream's Dream Team'? The French Wikipedia page has generally been pretty reliable over the two seasons in terms of accurate episode titles.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

The Vector Detector episode is written by the same guy who did the Metal Sonic and New Year's Retribution episodes way back in Season 1. Vector Detector is the first episode he wrote so far in the second season.

I'm nervous. New Years Retribution was good, but the Metal Sonic episode was just awful. I hope for the best, however.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

So have we any more information on 'Cream's Dream Team'? The French Wikipedia page has generally been pretty reliable over the two seasons in terms of accurate episode titles.

I'd just say wait and see. Best not to get our hopes up for something that may or may not be true

4 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

I'm nervous. New Years Retribution was good, but the Metal Sonic episode was just awful. I hope for the best, however.

Yeah, I agree. The Metal Sonic episode was all over the place in pacing so I'm hoping that won't be the case with Vector's episode.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

I'd just say wait and see. Best not to get our hopes up for something that may or may not be true

Yeah, I agree. The Metal Sonic episode was all over the place in pacing so I'm hoping that won't be the case with Vector's episode.

Well the guy's tract record seems mixed. He did Tails' Crush as well.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

Well the guy's tract record seems mixed. He did Tails' Crush as well.

I was pretty fond of Tails' Crush as well. So he's definitely capable of writing good episodes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, blazefan519 said:

I was pretty fond of Tails' Crush as well. So he's definitely capable of writing good episodes.

It said that this would be the first of two episodes he wrote.

Just now, RedFox99 said:

It said that this would be the first of two episodes he wrote.

So he'll be writing another episode before the season ends then? Wonder what that episode will be about.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, blazefan519 said:

So he'll be writing another episode before the season ends then? Wonder what that episode will be about.

Maybe if the already revealed ones?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, blazefan519 said:

When you're comparing him to the likes of Shadow and Metal Sonic, he's definitely not as popular. His debut game didn't sell well either, and didn't appear in another game till a couple years later. Not to mention that after Heroes (unless you count Shadow), he wouldn't appear in a main line Sonic game till Generations. He has his fans sure, every character does, but he isn't all that popular.

To be fair, Knuckles Chaotix most likely sold poorly, due to requiring having to get a Sega 32X, just to play it. Most Sonic gamers only had  a Sega Genesis, and likely thought it looked too expensive to put so much money on what's basically a slightly more powerful copy of the same console, just for one game. Just look at Sega CD, that was a failed console, and Sonic CD is the only title people seem to remember from it. Sonic CD lived on when ported to PC though, but Knuckles Chaotix sank into obscurity.

A lot of fans never heard of the game, until after playing Sonic  Heroes, and finding the info online. The game fooled many people into thinking the Chaotix were new characters.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, SpongicX said:

To be fair, Knuckles Chaotix most likely sold poorly, due to requiring having to get a Sega 32X, just to play it. Most Sonic gamers only had  a Sega Genesis, and likely thought it looked too expensive to put so much money on what's basically a slightly more powerful copy of the same console, just for one game. Just look at Sega CD, that was a failed console, and Sonic CD is the only title people seem to remember from it. Sonic CD lived on when ported to PC though, but Knuckles Chaotix sank into obscurity.

A lot of fans never heard of the game, until after playing Sonic  Heroes, and finding the info online. The game fooled many people into thinking the Chaotix were new characters.

Very true. I was one of the people who thought that the Chaotix first appeared in Heroes before figuring out Knuckles' Chaotix was a thing. That's why I think that Vector, and well the Chaotix as a whole aren't the most popular characters in the series. Sure they've been in some of the games, but comparing it to how many games Team Dark, and Team Rose (excluding Big), they haven't really been in much. Generations was their comback after being gone since Shadow (main-game wise).

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, RedFox99 said:

It seems odd how Sega don't want to use the other characters yet they won't let Boom use them.

I agree. Thankfully they let Taxman use them. 

And also, I think Vector might have gotten in because he is technically one of the earliest Sonic characters created.

Before anyone panics, maybe they simply don't want to use Rouge, as opposed to not being able to? That's the impression I got.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

I agree. Thankfully they let Taxman use them. 

And also, I think Vector might have gotten in because he is technically one of the earliest Sonic characters created.

Before anyone panics, maybe they simply don't want to use Rouge, as opposed to not being able to? That's the impression I got.

Who is Taxman again? I forget.

And yeah that's true that he's one of the first, but it's a very obscure fact.

Yeah I brought up them just not wanting to use her because writing issues but who knows? Maybe Sega is limiting them to few options.

• Nice Smile 1

10 hours ago, LukA8 said:

What's your suspicion, if you don't mind me asking? I doubt Sega had that much influence in who was chosen (more like who wasn't), but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

I dunno, I've just always had the impression that Iizuka's quite fond of Vector, and despite the entire "Sola Sonica" stuff that keeps happening Vector's actually had more favour under the new era than before. 

Like, the Chaotix were introduced under his pen (it took two games after Adventure, but I could easily see that as him not finding them a fit for either Adventure game), and had a pretty pivotal in Shadow the Hedgehog. The only main games he technically missed were main games Iizuka wasn't involved with (Sonic '06 was Naka/Nakamura/a whole team, not Iizuka, Unleashed was Hashimoto).

Between Shadow and Colours, the projects Vector appeared in were the Mario and Sonic Series (Iizuka was a producer on the first, a director in later instalments), Sonic Rivals 2 (a series he was very heavily involved in) and Sonic Chronicles...for as little he appeared (Iizuka was character advisor). Advance, Rush, Riders and the Storybook series were all projects where he was out of the power seat (he was a recording supervisor in the Riders series pre-Free Riders. Yay).

Then Iizuka took over as head of Sonic Team in 2010, and that usage went way up. Colours DS (hence why I said technically earlier), Free Riders (despite veteran Blaze arguably being a better fit for team Rose), Generations, Runners and Forces all included him. Iizuka continued doing character supervising for Mario and Sonic, and his role in the handheld's story modes got increasingly important. The Chaotix even got upgraded from stickers to trophies with Super Smash Bros 4. 

The only real gaps he has are Sonic 4 (which was supposed to be a real parring down of elements), the Sonic All Stars Racing series (which he wasn't involved with) and Sonic Lost World (which is probably the one big outlier). 

There's also an anecdote from Summer of Sonic 2016 but I'd have to get more experiences to check if that was isolated or it happened to everyone. 

I guess the point is that, as head of Sonic Team, Iizuka has more power than most to influence who gets veto'ed and who gets chance to shine, and everything before indicates that he would give Vector the nod. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, VEDJ-F said:

...Okay, that's surprisingly blunt. 

Not so much how Freiberger said it, but how absolute the restriction is. I knew there was a mandate against other game characters appearing in Boom, but it seemed like it was going on a case-by-case basis with windows opening gradually as the show went along. But it seems SEGA have ideas on who can and cannot appear, aside from restricting the existing game immigrant's appearances. 

The biggest question is like who made that decisions, like there are different branches of sega, I mean yeah his statement could just mean " shows over" but if we are to take it as if a season 3 happened she wont show up. Like who made that decisions? I don't think its japan because shadow's already in use in the series, and that's like their baby. I mean I guess it could have been a reaction to shadow's first appearance, but they could have just told them to not use shadow anymore. And clearly that's not the case, I mean mean maybe sonic forces is rebooting shadow's character and ruining by removing rouges and omega's character from the picture and this is the first wave of such change, but I also don't think that's the reason because they were  together in the Archie comics. 

Its not so much the bluntness that's weirding me out, rather its rouge. She has, like a connection to two characters in sonic boom, one way more so than the other, even if its not the same universe, you could do interesting subversion on their dynamic. But no, someone said no. I'm really interested in who, where and why they said no.Maybe they didn't like the character? I don't know. Its so blunt yet so vauge . 

12 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

You're questioning SEGA's logic. This is the same company that went on record saying that Sonic travels between the human world and his home planet between games for whatever reason. And the fact that the classic and modern games take place in alternate universes. Best not to think too hard about these things. 

True

• Promotion 1

14 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

I don't know, I feel like if that was the reasoning than he wouldn't have bothered with the question at all. Maybe that's just me being optimistic, but I'm still not convinced to the show's cancellation yet, and with it coming to Netflix UK and possibly Netflix US, they have no reason to cancel it.

And if Sega of Japan really didn't like Boom, why would they release the Boom games (with an alternate name) along with a Japanese dub of Season 1 as well? But I do agree with the stigma of how poorly Sega's treated the other characters, and I was hoping Boom could be a medium to where they could get more action, but aside from the main cast, the guest characters only seem to appear in one episode for a season, which bums me out. The only other medium where the characters get much showtime is the Olympic games, which is pretty sad all things considered.

Heh, I think he's regretted answering that question shortly afterwards, anyway. I just believe if Boom were to get a Season 3, they would have to allow the writers to expand the universe in some way. The team is very creative, but they can only think of so many stories about Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sticks, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot doing something in the village or Eggman's lair, with 2 or 3 guest appearances per season, without it getting bland at one point. The villagers are also extremely one-dimensional characters (seemingly on purpose to make the main cast stand out more), yet the writers are not allowed to use the extended game cast as side characters which would open up many story possibilities and dynamics. I also don't see the show getting a higher budget for Season 3 after it has suffered its way into obscurity at Boomerang.

But, note I would like to see a Season 3 as well, we'll just have to wait and see. Bill just seems a little pessimistic/overly sarcastic on Twitter when chatting with fans about Boom, but I don't know, maybe that's just his style. Must not always be very fun to work with such limited possibilities for your show.

(Yeah, the Olympic series is pretty much dead, maybe with the exception of Tokyo 2020, but the series has become worse with every installment after the first Winter Olympics and has been run into the ground, not even selling well anymore. The game cast is pretty much done for if another non-mobile spin-off series won't emerge. Sega was honestly stupid not to continue the All-Stars Racing series considering how well Transformed's been received, even Sumo Digital had wanted to.)

@VEDJ-F Interesting. It never really seemed to me Iizuka was necessarily a fan of the Chaotix, he mostly mentions Shadow as his favourite, I just remember he noted once that people like the trio and that he is very adamant about them being "his" characters and not part of the Classic series (probably for the better, otherwise the Mighty dilemma would escalate with his fans). It's true they have appeared more regularly since 2010, but that was when all the side characters have been relegated to the same level, equally unimportant cheerleaders (after some years of not appearing at all, to be granted). I've never tied much of that to Iizuka, though. The Chaotix would have been extremely out of place in Sonic 06 considering the tone of the game, then after that fiasco Unleashed was pretty much a "let's remove everyone" game and the next one was already Colors, which took some babysteps to reintroduce the cast. The series has also been more comedy-oriented ever since, which may be another reason for their inclusions. For Vector specifically, I believe he's become a lot more prominent/well-known thanks to the Mario & Sonic series, which I think included him because a) they needed a power character and b)to represent Team Chaotix from Heroes, with Shadow and Amy representing their teams, respectively. Spin-offs may shift back to Omega as the go-to power character if the M&S series is truly over.

14 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

When you're comparing him to the likes of Shadow and Metal Sonic, he's definitely not as popular. His debut game didn't sell well either, and didn't appear in another game till a couple years later. Not to mention that after Heroes (unless you count Shadow), he wouldn't appear in a main line Sonic game till Generations. He has his fans sure, every character does, but he isn't all that popular.

I personally believe you're underestimating the Chaotix at least a little here. They're not that obscure, compare them to the Babylon Rogues for example. To think they're as popular as Shadow or Metal Sonic would be ridiculous of course, but they can hold their own quite well compared to the rest of the extended cast I'd say. (Now the following statements are only my personal believes; it's quite useless discussing popularity as we can just make assumptions based on the internet so it's perfectly fine if you disagree) E.g. Vector may not be much more popular than Cream or Omega, or quite as popular as Rouge, but it seems to me he's generally well-liked (a bit underrated *cough*) and got fewer haters than..Cream or Silver, for example. Espio is definitely the most popular from the Chaotix group (especially with younger fans), but he's somehow also less well-known/prominent than Vector, if that makes sense. Even Charmy's got his share of fans by now spread over the internet, although many still merely see him as a necessary evil for the other two members to appear.

13 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

Very true. I was one of the people who thought that the Chaotix first appeared in Heroes before figuring out Knuckles' Chaotix was a thing. That's why I think that Vector, and well the Chaotix as a whole aren't the most popular characters in the series. Sure they've been in some of the games, but comparing it to how many games Team Dark, and Team Rose (excluding Big), they haven't really been in much. Generations was their comback after being gone since Shadow (main-game wise).

Oh, and regarding their game appearances, remember that Heroes, their de-facto debut game, is like the second or third most-selling Sonic game next to Sonic 2 and the first Mario & Sonic game. Generations was also pretty successful, hence Sega still thinks we want to see their version of Classic Sonic. I don't think Metal Sonic or Cream got a main game appearance between Heroes and Generations at all, while Rouge and Omega got into Shadow (like the Chaotix) and 06, with Omega not returning until Forces is out, actually.

Anyway, I think I have derailed the topic enough now to talk about my favourite detective trio. Had to use the chance when it's there for once : P Let me just say most Sonic characters deserve more attention than what they have been getting for years now, disregarded of their popularity. I've come to the point where I'm excited (and slightly worried) for a ten-minute appearance for my favourite, which is pretty ridiculous. Then again for the last few years I've only been sticking around the Sonic franchise because I've grown fond of the cast a long time ago, not really anymore for the games.

13 hours ago, RLS Legacy said:

The episode's still listed on the site. While I agree it seems there is a very reliable editor there who quickly edits the page when new information comes out, there is one strange tidbit... the Cream episode is the only episode title not listed in italics, as if someone who is not as familiar with the editing system has written it in. But then, it still has not been removed, so who knows really?

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, LukA8 said:

Heh, I think he's regretted answering that question shortly afterwards, anyway. I just believe if Boom were to get a Season 3, they would have to allow the writers to expand the universe in some way. The team is very creative, but they can only think of so many stories about Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Sticks, Eggman, Orbot and Cubot doing something in the village or Eggman's lair, with 2 or 3 guest appearances per season, without it getting bland at one point. The villagers are also extremely one-dimensional characters (seemingly on purpose to make the main cast stand out more), yet the writers are not allowed to use the extended game cast as side characters which would open up many story possibilities and dynamics. I also don't see the show getting a higher budget for Season 3 after it has suffered its way into obscurity at Boomerang.

They even lampshaded that in the season 1 finale. It can be sad how little they have work with especially with 11 minute episodes.

11 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

Who is Taxman again? I forget.

And yeah that's true that he's one of the first, but it's a very obscure fact.

Yeah I brought up them just not wanting to use her because writing issues but who knows? Maybe Sega is limiting them to few options.

Taxman is the guy who created Sonic Mania and the remaster series. 

I wouldn't put it above or below them to use really obscure Sonic factoids. After all, "he's only the second most popular character in the whole canon!" I think we might get "He's only the third oldest character in the whole canon!" this time.

I didn't get that sort of impression. If that was the case, wouldn't Sega have already forsaken Boom? They do seem to be on a spree of cutting off the branches now.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

I wouldn't put it above or below them to use really obscure Sonic factoids. After all, "he's only the second most popular character in the whole canon!" I think we might get "He's only the third oldest character in the whole canon!" this time.

I didn't get that sort of impression. If that was the case, wouldn't Sega have already forsaken Boom? They do seem to be on a spree of cutting off the branches now.

I wonder if they'll make a reference to Knuckles and the Chaotix. Plus, Boom (or at least the TV series) has become popular in other countries.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I wonder if they'll make a reference to Knuckles and the Chaotix. Plus, Boom (or at least the TV series) has become popular in other countries.

There could be a funny mishap where Knuckles gets hand cuffed to Vector, and he points out how this seems familiar, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, SpongicX said:

There could be a funny mishap where Knuckles gets hand cuffed to Vector, and he points out how this seems familiar, lol.

That would be a nice reference to the buddy system from the game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, LukA8 said:

But, note I would like to see a Season 3 as well, we'll just have to wait and see. Bill just seems a little pessimistic/overly sarcastic on Twitter when chatting with fans about Boom, but I don't know, maybe that's just his style. Must not always be very fun to work with such limited possibilities for your show.

(Yeah, the Olympic series is pretty much dead, maybe with the exception of Tokyo 2020, but the series has become worse with every installment after the first Winter Olympics and has been run into the ground, not even selling well anymore. The game cast is pretty much done for if another non-mobile spin-off series won't emerge. Sega was honestly stupid not to continue the All-Stars Racing series considering how well Transformed's been received, even Sumo Digital had wanted to.)

@VEDJ-F Interesting. It never really seemed to me Iizuka was necessarily a fan of the Chaotix, he mostly mentions Shadow as his favourite, I just remember he noted once that people like the trio and that he is very adamant about them being "his" characters and not part of the Classic series (probably for the better, otherwise the Mighty dilemma would escalate with his fans). It's true they have appeared more regularly since 2010, but that was when all the side characters have been relegated to the same level, equally unimportant cheerleaders (after some years of not appearing at all, to be granted). I've never tied much of that to Iizuka, though. The Chaotix would have been extremely out of place in Sonic 06 considering the tone of the game, then after that fiasco Unleashed was pretty much a "let's remove everyone" game and the next one was already Colors, which took some babysteps to reintroduce the cast. The series has also been more comedy-oriented ever since, which may be another reason for their inclusions. For Vector specifically, I believe he's become a lot more prominent/well-known thanks to the Mario & Sonic series, which I think included him because a) they needed a power character and b)to represent Team Chaotix from Heroes, with Shadow and Amy representing their teams, respectively. Spin-offs may shift back to Omega as the go-to power character if the M&S series is truly over.

I personally believe you're underestimating the Chaotix at least a little here. They're not that obscure, compare them to the Babylon Rogues for example. To think they're as popular as Shadow or Metal Sonic would be ridiculous of course, but they can hold their own quite well compared to the rest of the extended cast I'd say. (Now the following statements are only my personal believes; it's quite useless discussing popularity as we can just make assumptions based on the internet so it's perfectly fine if you disagree) E.g. Vector may not be much more popular than Cream or Omega, or quite as popular as Rouge, but it seems to me he's generally well-liked (a bit underrated *cough*) and got fewer haters than..Cream or Silver, for example. Espio is definitely the most popular from the Chaotix group (especially with younger fans), but he's somehow also less well-known/prominent than Vector, if that makes sense. Even Charmy's got his share of fans by now spread over the internet, although many still merely see him as a necessary evil for the other two members to appear.

Oh, and regarding their game appearances, remember that Heroes, their de-facto debut game, is like the second or third most-selling Sonic game next to Sonic 2 and the first Mario & Sonic game. Generations was also pretty successful, hence Sega still thinks we want to see their version of Classic Sonic. I don't think Metal Sonic or Cream got a main game appearance between Heroes and Generations at all, while Rouge and Omega got into Shadow (like the Chaotix) and 06, with Omega not returning until Forces is out, actually.

Anyway, I think I have derailed the topic enough now to talk about my favourite detective trio. Had to use the chance when it's there for once : P Let me just say most Sonic characters deserve more attention than what they have been getting for years now, disregarded of their popularity. I've come to the point where I'm excited (and slightly worried) for a ten-minute appearance for my favourite, which is pretty ridiculous. Then again for the last few years I've only been sticking around the Sonic franchise because I've grown fond of the cast a long time ago, not really anymore for the games.

The episode's still listed on the site. While I agree it seems there is a very reliable editor there who quickly edits the page when new information comes out, there is one strange tidbit... the Cream episode is the only episode title not listed in italics, as if someone who is not as familiar with the editing system has written it in. But then, it still has not been removed, so who knows really?

That's... a lot of good points. And I thought I knew a lot about Sonic lol. I see where you're coming from and on the grand scheme of things I may have underestimated their popularity. And I had read Bill's post saying how we were being over-analytical about what he says. Best thing to do now is wait and see. There's no need to stress over every little thing they've said. (with the olympics, I'd say they'd keep going till 2024 in Beijing, end where they started)

53 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

I'd so love a reference to that, (I know I'm bringing this up a lot) but even in the Olympic games they have a special animation together, so I'd love for them to interact

3 hours ago, Miru the Living Planet said:

Ah I see, I knew the name sounded familiar, thanks. But I can see them being much more lenient with that since it's mostly the main 3 + Eggman they got to work with, not really any of the side characters

You know I could actually see them doing that this time lol

I mean like I said, they seem to be fine with the Main 3 + Eggman and Amy. Shadow and Metal Sonic make sense from a popularity perspective. And we've already talked about Vector's inclusion. So that only leaves the other characters which hardly appear in anything at all that much, besides brief cameos or whatever they're doing in Forces. It's not that off to say they could be limiting them to some degree. And the only branch cutting I've seen was the move to Boomerang, which really wasn't them that was CN. With Boom coming to Netflix in several countries, it getting a Japanese dub, and getting nominated for the Teen Choice award which Sega even advertised I don't see them cutting off branches at all.

• Thumbs Up 3