Awoo.

Sonic Boom (Untagged Spoilers)

Ryannumber1gamer

The season 2 finale of Sonic Boom comes just 3 days before the release of Sonic Forces in North America. As for Vector in Sonic Boom, I don't really care for Vector mostly because I don't really understand or know much about the character. Now as for the Chaotix, the only member I like is Espio.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Still wish Rouge got to appear but who knows. *Crosses fingers for season 3*

Welp...guess not. If this has to do with her design then it pisses me off. Rouge is more than just Cleavage.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, SBR2 said:

Welp...guess not. If this has to do with her design then it pisses me off. Rouge is more than just Cleavage.

I doubt that, the crew definitely doesn't seem like the people who care about that kind of thing. I'd say it's more so, how would you write her in. She's a treasure hunter in the main games, and while there have been jewels and the liking in the show, what then? She wouldn't have a relationship with Shadow since he's a loner in Boom, and since there's no Master Emerald, she has no reason to interact with Knuckles either. There's no G.U.N. equivalent in Boom to give her a job as well. So I get why they wouldn't add her.

• Thumbs Up 4

2 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

I doubt that, the crew definitely doesn't seem like the people who care about that kind of thing. I'd say it's more so, how would you write her in. She's a treasure hunter in the main games, and while there have been jewels and the liking in the show, what then? She wouldn't have a relationship with Shadow since he's a loner in Boom, and since there's no Master Emerald, she has no reason to interact with Knuckles either. There's no G.U.N. equivalent in Boom to give her a job as well. So I get why they wouldn't add her.

Kind of sad though but like you said it would be hard to write her in the show.

2 minutes ago, RedFox99 said:

Kind of sad though but like you said it would be hard to write her in the show.

Yeah, I would've loved to see her too, but you have to think about the nature of Boom and how'd it work for all the characters. The easiest to bring over would've definitely been the Chaotix, so the Vector choice made a lot of sense. Cream and Big are two other good options, but I'm having trouble seeing what Cream would bring comedic wise. Big would be an easy one, since his character is mostly revolved around fishing and Hedgehog Village has a sea, so it's perfect. If there was going to be another game character to be added to the Boom Universe, my bets would be on him.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Yeah, I would've loved to see her too, but you have to think about the nature of Boom and how'd it work for all the characters. The easiest to bring over would've definitely been the Chaotix, so the Vector choice made a lot of sense. Cream and Big are two other good options, but I'm having trouble seeing what Cream would bring comedic wise. Big would be an easy one, since his character is mostly revolved around fishing and Hedgehog Village has a sea, so it's perfect. If there was going to be another game character to be added to the Boom Universe, my bets would be on him.

I mean the only way it would possible would probably be for Boom to shift it's focus from being a comedy and that doesn't seem like it'll happen in the near future.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, RedFox99 said:

I mean the only way it would possible would probably be for Boom to shift it's focus from being a comedy and that doesn't seem like it'll happen in the near future.

Boom is focused on comedy but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its serious/heartfelt moments.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Boom is focused on comedy but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its serious/heartfelt moments.

Yeah but but they tend to be be few and far apart.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, RedFox99 said:

Yeah but but they tend to be be few and far apart.

Well, that's because it's a comedy. If there were too much of that, it wouldn't really be one anymore.

I think they should bring characters like Silver and Blaze to Sonic Boom, since those 2 have Not been in a Sonic TV Show since their introductions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

I think they should bring characters like Silver and Blaze to Sonic Boom, since those 2 have Not been in a Sonic TV Show since their introductions.

While I like Silver and Blaze a lot, once again, how would you even write them in? They're probably the hardest to write in because you'd have to completely change how the characters work to write them in. Is Silver from the future? If he's not then where would he be from? Would he hate Sonic like he did in 06? Well then what about Blaze? Would she be from another dimension still? Is she a princess? The Sol Emerald, what about those?

You see the problem, now? They'd have to go through a lot of trouble for their characters to make any sense at all, and change so much stuff about them to get it to work, so I honestly don't think they'd go through the hassle.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, blazefan519 said:

While I like Silver and Blaze a lot, once again, how would you even write them in? They're probably the hardest to write in because you'd have to completely change how the characters work to write them in. Is Silver from the future? If he's not then where would he be from? Would he hate Sonic like he did in 06? Well then what about Blaze? Would she be from another dimension still? Is she a princess? The Sol Emerald, what about those?

You see the problem, now? They'd have to go through a lot of trouble for their characters to make any sense at all, and change so much stuff about them to get it to work, so I honestly don't think they'd go through the hassle.

They changed Shadow a bit and also Vector (mostly design), now we won't know anything about Boom Vector until next weeks episode, we might also find out something else about Boom Shadow soon in one of the 5 unknown episodes. Rouge is already ruled out for a Boom appearance, Metal Sonic is almost garranteed to return. Also like season 1 they are saving the returning characters until the final 10 episodes for this season.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Blue Knight/Bluestreak said:

They changed Shadow a bit and also Vector (mostly design), now we won't know anything about Boom Vector until next weeks episode, we might also find out something else about Boom Shadow soon in one of the 5 unknown episodes. Rouge is already ruled out for a Boom appearance, Metal Sonic is almost garranteed to return. Also like season 1 they are saving the returning characters until the final 10 episodes for this season.

Shadow is the exception. Shadow wouldn't have even been in Boom if it weren't for fan demand. The writers themselves said that they didn't know how they would write him in since he's literally the exact opposite of comedic, which is why the comedy for him is that he's always serious despite being surrounded by comedic characters. We know nothing about Vector but the thing with him is that you still wouldn't need to change that much about him and judging by the title of his episode, he's still a detective, one of his more defining traits.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Shadow is the exception. Shadow wouldn't have even been in Boom if it weren't for fan demand. The writers themselves said that they didn't know how they would write him in since he's literally the exact opposite of comedic, which is why the comedy for him is that he's always serious despite being surrounded by comedic characters. We know nothing about Vector but the thing with him is that you still wouldn't need to change that much about him and judging by the title of his episode, he's still a detective, one of his more defining traits.

While shadow's continued existence in general is because of fan demand. That's the same for every other sonic character, that actually gets to stay around. I don't think thats much of anything. Also While knuckles isn't shadow , knuckles for a while was also a much more serious character, and he's just a doofus in this show. Its common critcism. 

So Shadow could have been changed completely, I think why he was from his first appearance in ROL toned down was because of fan negative reaction. That said, its not hard to write shadow in comedic situations, there are plenty of comics written by archie that have shadow in funnier situations. And that's ok, its not some mystery, further more if they wanted to avoid it entirely, they could make their occasional serious episode about shadow. So this isn't some magic trick people have been writing comedic stories with serious characters for years. Also IIRC I don't remember them saying they didn't know, but rather they were affraid to do it , because they didn't actually know what his character was suppoused to be at that point. Which makes sense, sonic boom is a bit less jumbled now. 

So I don't think who he shadow is excludes comedy, you can write a bunch of comedic stuff with shadow being serious... or you know actually being funny.

• Thumbs Up 1

...Okay, that's surprisingly blunt. 

Not so much how Freiberger said it, but how absolute the restriction is. I knew there was a mandate against other game characters appearing in Boom, but it seemed like it was going on a case-by-case basis with windows opening gradually as the show went along. But it seems SEGA have ideas on who can and cannot appear, aside from restricting the existing game immigrant's appearances. 

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

While shadow's continued existence in general is because of fan demand. That's the same for every other sonic character, that actually gets to stay around. I don't think thats much of anything. Also While knuckles isn't shadow , knuckles for a while was also a much more serious character, and he's just a doofus in this show. Its common critcism. 

So Shadow could have been changed completely, I think why he was from his first appearance in ROL toned down was because of fan negative reaction. That said, its not hard to write shadow in comedic situations, there are plenty of comics written by archie that have shadow in funnier situations. And that's ok, its not some mystery, further more if they wanted to avoid it entirely, they could make their occasional serious episode about shadow. So this isn't some magic trick people have been writing comedic stories with serious characters for years. Also IIRC I don't remember them saying they didn't know, but rather they were affraid to do it , because they didn't actually know what his character was suppoused to be at that point. Which makes sense, sonic boom is a bit less jumbled now. 

So I don't think who he shadow is excludes comedy, you can write a bunch of comedic stuff with shadow being serious... or you know actually being funny.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think Shadow is a character who can be written into comedic situations well and doesn't need to be dark and edgy all the time. The small snippets that I've seen of his character in the comics show me that that's the case. But the Boom Crew just chose otherwise is the thing, and while I don't think he was written well in the Season 1 finale, he could be written perfectly fine in his next appearance. It all comes down to execution. And with Knuckles, yeah he was a relatively serious character before 06, but afterwords, he sorta became a joke. He didn't even appear in Unleashed (which he apparently was, but just didn't) or Colors. And let's not forget his role in Lost World or lack there of. All they did with Knuckles was up his stupidity. And from what I've seen, not a lot of people care about his role anymore. I think (for the most part) Knuckles has been written well as is. He's dumb, but that's because of his naivity.

2 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

...Okay, that's surprisingly blunt. 

Not so much how Freiberger said it, but how absolute the restriction is. I knew there was a mandate against other game characters appearing in Boom, but it seemed like it was going on a case-by-case basis with windows opening gradually as the show went along. But it seems SEGA have ideas on who can and cannot appear, aside from restricting the existing game immigrant's appearances. 

I don't get why they're being so restrictive tho. They let them handle other characters just fine and are also fine with Boom being it's own thing, so why be okay with some characters and not others?

3 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

I don't get why they're being so restrictive tho. They let them handle other characters just fine and are also fine with Boom being it's own thing, so why be okay with some characters and not others?

If it's like Metal Sonic and Shadow, it might be because they want to market the characters they add. 

Sounds ridiculous for Vector, but I dunno, I do have some suspicion there too...

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

That is the worst conclusion to jump to. If that was the case she would of never appeared in any Sonic game again after her appearance and plus it's not they could give her a different outfit if that was the case especially if they were able to give one to vector. Just saying. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, VEDJ-F said:

If it's like Metal Sonic and Shadow, it might be because they want to market the characters they add. 

Sounds ridiculous for Vector, but I dunno, I do have some suspicion there too...

Yeah totally, Metal Sonic and Shadow make sense, they're popular characters. But Vector is relatively obscure, to be honest. So I doubt it's advertisement.

8 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

You're questioning SEGA's logic. This is the same company that went on record saying that Sonic travels between the human world and his home planet between games for whatever reason. And the fact that the classic and modern games take place in alternate universes. Best not to think too hard about these things. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

You're questioning SEGA's logic. This is the same company that went on record saying that Sonic travels between the human world and his home planet between games for whatever reason. And the fact that the classic and modern games take place in alternate universes. Best not to think too hard about these things. 

It's sad how true that is

39 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

Yeah totally, Metal Sonic and Shadow make sense, they're popular characters. But Vector is relatively obscure, to be honest. So I doubt it's advertisement.

Vector is not obscure, he is very popular, one of the first characters created, playable in plenty of games, and was added to the Olympics before Metal Sonic and Silver, you know how many people bought that game? The Chaotix are easily fan favorites too.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, Jack the Rookie said:

Vector is not obscure, he is very popular, one of the first characters created, playable in plenty of games, and was added to the Olympics before Metal Sonic and Silver, you know how many people bought that game? The Chaotix are easily fan favorites too.

When you're comparing him to the likes of Shadow and Metal Sonic, he's definitely not as popular. His debut game didn't sell well either, and didn't appear in another game till a couple years later. Not to mention that after Heroes (unless you count Shadow), he wouldn't appear in a main line Sonic game till Generations. He has his fans sure, every character does, but he isn't all that popular.

• Thumbs Up 1

Rouge "never" appearing in Boom may have less to do with her being prohibited as a character but could actually mean Boom has been cancelled...Mr Freiberger has said many times he's not be able to confirm or deny a season 3 renewal, but it could be a subtle hint, just saying..

She's a character I thought would fit really well in this show and I actually thought she would appear in "The Midnight Hour", but yeah.

It was pretty obvious Sega's restrictions are the reason the game characters are not used more often. I really don't get Sega's logic behind this, though, it's like they never really knew what they wanted the Boom franchise to be. Or maybe it's more of an internal conflict like Sega of Japan, who never liked the Boom project to begin with, refusing to lend more of Sonic Team's characters to a Western production. Sometimes I wonder who even organizes this company.

57 minutes ago, VEDJ-F said:

What's your suspicion, if you don't mind me asking? I doubt Sega had that much influence in who was chosen (more like who wasn't), but I'd like to hear your reasoning.

• Thumbs Up 1