Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

Vikavolt is definitely gonna be the resident electric type on my team. And am I the only who thinks Drampa looks like Falkor from Neverending story?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Johnny Boy said:

Vikavolt is definitely gonna be the resident electric type on my team. And am I the only who thinks Drampa looks like Falkor from Neverending story?

I thought the same, but I didn't know the name of that guy, or the movie's title, so I didn't bother saying :P

The fun thing is that the fugly fish seems to have a pretty powerful ability (blocks priority moves, rip Talonflame) so if the stats are acceptable you are going to see it quite often.

I love Vikavolt. He's my favorite regional bug since well... Scolipede which wasn't that long ago. But I generally don't like regional bugs so I will give it a pass because of how cool it looks. Its fukin Kabuterimon after all! I also do like Drampa, there's something cool about it. It may be the Joseph Joestar of the Pokemon series which would be awesome.

The others are alright. I just like mentioning the things I like. I will come to like the others so yeah.

Edit: I just realized that Vikavolt is actually the first 2nd stage Pokemon that's been revealed. At least they got that out of the way for Grubbin. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

These new Pokers are actually quite the relief for me. While I generally liked the previously revealed species, every single one of them aside from the legendaries felt really basic and simple by Pokemon standards. Most of these new additions feel much more inventive and exotic-looking, with Tapu Koko being the most interesting and generally cool-looking of the bunch, with Vikavolt as a solid second. I was actually hoping for no Completely Unnecessary Rehash of Pikachu this generation, but I know that's a pipe dream, and at least its design is better than Dedenne's and it's based on a hedgie.

Man, I gotta say I'm not digging any of these new Pokemon that were just revealed. I think they look so weird and unnatural. I thought Hoenn did a really great job introducing new exotic looking Pokemon designs. These are just unappealing to me. The first few reveals before today were nice though, so I do hope we get more like them.

Any thoughts on the Pokemon looking unnatural can be explained by virtue of Alola being based off Hawaii, an island region that had remained isolated from the rest of the world for years, allowing for the local flora and fauna to propagate with no outside environmental influence.

I'm gonna catch the Pikeclone, just so I can name it ColdSteel :V

And good on gamefreak for showing their work with Cutiefly

6307d42ba84a8ba1374c79fafb5be857.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

I think they're pretty neato. New Pokemon are always like "huh?" at first, but once you see them around a bit and especially in game, they start to feel right at home and don't stick out like a sore thumb. That lil' box bug Charjabug is fucking cute, and what it turns into is pretty badass. I'm digging the normal/dragon for not being afraid to step outside of the box on design, and it's one of the few Pokemon that looks like it doesn't really need to evolve; something I've kinda missed. I'm not usually a fan of just "whatever that's a fish" type Pokemon so *shrugs* and Cutiefly seems cool enough. As for Sonichu I'm kinda on the fence, mostly because it's color scheme is pretty fucking ugly, and the random tail that screams "LOOK IT'S DEFINITELY A PIKACLONE, DESPITE THESE CHEEKS OF MINE" bothers me and think it'd be better just as a little ball. Here's to hoping it evolves though. Lastly Tapu Koko seems alright as well. I saw IGN refer to it as a pseudo legendary (and maybe it is) but it doesn't seem like it to me.

I'm really liking Gen 7 so far, and I'm mostly just eager to see if this gen has a "Lucario" or "Zoroark" of sorts.

They're definitely taking a more exotic approach with these Pokémon, given the new region and atmosphere all together. I think it works in giving us a much different vibe than in years past. May as well throw out your more bombastic ones now to reel in the fans and potential newcomers and leave the more subdued Mons for us to find later.

11 hours ago, Marcello said:

Tapu Koko's Japanese name seems to be Kapu Kokeko. That means it's not a legendary, I guess. I suspected it wouldn't be.

Considering the legendary birds of Kanto are called Freezer, Thunder, and Fire in Japan, name changes for legendary Pokemon have been a thing since the beginning. Tapu Koko wouldn't be breaking barriers there.

It's said that Tapu Koko is the protector of Melemele Island. Since the other two large islands have distinguished set pieces, a volcano on one, ice on the other, it's likely there are other deity Pokemon for those two islands too, one being Fire/Fairy, the other being Ice/Fairy. These Pokemon could be the Generation's legendary trio trope, just like the original Ice/Thunder/Fire trio from Kanto which got name changes.

7 hours ago, -Robin- said:

Considering the legendary birds of Kanto are called Freezer, Thunder, and Fire in Japan, name changes for legendary Pokemon have been a thing since the beginning. Tapu Koko wouldn't be breaking barriers there.

Yeah, way back then. Nowadays legendary Pokemon generally keep their names. It's definitely not unprecedented or impossible for them to get name changes, but it's not likely, imo. Aside from that, I find it hard to believe they'd introduce a legendary so nonchalantly and without even saying it's a legendary.

Doing a bit of research, I think the last legendary name changes were to some of the Gen IV pixies and the Gen V genies, which isn't that long ago, especially for second-stringer non-box-legendaries - but I don't know if the changes in those cases were as big as Kapu Kokeko becoming Tapu Koko.  For comparison, I'm looking at Agnome to Azelf, Emrit to Mesprit, Tornelos to Tornadus, Voltolos to Thundurus - with only minor tweaks, if any, being applied to other post-Gen-I legendaries.  However, in this case, Tapu Koko and Kapu Kokeko definitely possess the same feel and even the same format...  You can argue that they only changed one letter and added one syllable.  There's also the context given to Tapu Koko in the E3 stream, which indicates both that it is of great mystical significance to MeleMele and that it shows up in the game very early on, so an introduction right now wouldn't be surprising, especially if I'm right about this batch of Pokemon all being from MeleMele...

On assessing the evidence, I think that, even with the name change, there's a strong chance of Tapu Koko being a typical second-stringer legendary like the ones I cited above.  With any luck, though, we'll be getting the English version of the present news in about twenty minutes, so that might fill us in.

English trailer 

Iwanko and Nekkoala are Rockruff and Komala  respectively,. while Tapu Koko's Ability is Electric Surge, which looks to be akin to Electric Terrain

...Why did they put Rockruff and Komala on the website without including them in the trailer of a bunch of other new Pokemon they were announcing at exactly the same time?  The handling of those two has been so weird.  Neat Pokemon, though; I hadn't picked up before that Komala isn't just only capable of suffering sleep, it's actually in permanent sleep.  Also, Rockruff has an evolution, and it's suggested that this will be a wilder and perhaps more nocturnal Pokemon.  I get the impression that Komala has an evolution too, as its entry on the website specifically mentions its parents, characterising it as a younger Pokemon, but it's not for certain.

Tapu Koko isn't explicitly described as a legendary, but it keeps the "guardian deity" moniker and is referred to as a "special" Pokemon, and it's pretty clear there's just the one of it.  Take that as you will.  Togedemaru's tail isn't actually a tail, it's just an especially long needle that grows from the back of its head (but we're too familiar with all the Pikaclones to ever see it as anything but a tail, let's be honest).  So there's some more information there.

But the really interesting stuff is in the Zygarde pages.  All the Zygarde forms are linked together and classified as "Evolutions," it's stated that there are Zygarde Cells scattered throughout Alola, 10% Zygarde is a temporary form that only appears in emergencies, and 50% Zygarde is waiting for an equal 50% power out there in the world to meet it.  The vibe I'm getting from that is that you'll have to go on a Zygarde hunt around Alola to pick up Zygarde Cells, eventually you'll build up enough to use 10% and then 50% Zygarde, and if you trade in a Kalos Zygarde whilst possessing an Alola 50% Zygarde, they'll unlock the Power Construct ability that lets them become Complete Zygarde when below half HP.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here is a recap of all of the information:

rockruff.png

• Rockruff
  • Category: Puppy Pokémon
  • Type: Rock
  • Height : 1′08″
  • Weight: 20.3 lbs.
  • Abilities: Keen Eye/Vital Spirit
  • Bio

Rockruff has an excellent sense of smell, and once it has smelled an odor, it doesn’t forget it! There are tales of these Pokémon getting separated from their Trainers, then using the faintest traces of their scent to track them for days until they are reunited!

Rockruff is a sociable Pokémon, but as it grows, its disposition gets wilder. If it begins to howl when the sun goes down, that is proof that it’s close to evolving. It’s said that it leaves its Trainer’s side to evolve and returns again when fully evolved.

Rockruff stands bravely in battle, even when it’s taking damage. Although an opponent may be stronger than Rockruff, the Puppy Pokémon is so persistent, it keeps going until it outlasts its foe and gets the win!

Bite is a good move for Rockruff. It deals damage by biting an opponent with its sharp teeth. This may make the target flinch. 

Rockruff greet others by rubbing the rocks around their necks against the other. This grating greeting is an expression of fondness, but a Trainer may find that love hurts.

komala.png

• Komala
  • Category: Drowsing Pokémon
  • Type: Normal
  • Height: 1′04″
  • Weight: 43.9 lbs.
  • Ability: Comatose
  • Bio

No one has ever seen a Komala awake. It eats, travels, and even battles while sound asleep! Its saliva can be used as medicine for the sick or sleepless, according to ancient people. They say if you take a small amount of the saliva remaining after it eats leaves, water the saliva down, and drink it, you’ll be able to sleep well. 

Komala clings to a log pillow that its parents have given to it. Once it has grasped this log, it almost never releases it. If it does lose hold of its log, the Pokémon will be unable to sleep well and will thrash about wildly. Apparently it will sometimes cling to the arm of a Trainer it trusts.

Komala has the Comatose Ability, a new Ability that no other Pokémon has ever had until now. This Ability keeps it perpetually in a drowsing state, which prevents it from getting any other status conditions.

The ever-sleeping Komala’s expression sometimes changes, as if has awareness of its surroundings and the talking of people nearby. But it appears that these changes in expression are actually just a result of the dreams it’s experiencing.

charjabug.png

• Charjabug 
  • Category: Battery Pokémon
  • Type: Bug/Electric
  • Height: 1′08″
  • Weight: 23.1 lbs.
  • Ability: Battery
  • Charjabug is the Evolved Form of Grubbin
  • Bio

Charjabug stays perfectly still in preparation for Evolution, and often spends time with its body half-buried in the earth. Charjabug is able to store up electricity. It can store enough power to run a household for a whole day. The power it stores can be provided to other Pokémon, so it can also serve as a battery!

Charjabug has the Battery Ability, an Ability not seen before in any other Pokémon. The Battery Ability allows it to raise the power of allies’ special moves.

vikavolt.png

• Vikavolt
  • Category: Stag Beetle Pokémon 
  • Type: Bug/Electric
  • HEIGHT: 4′11″
  • Weight: 99.2 lbs.
  • Ability: Levitate
  • Vikavolt is the Evolved Form of Charjabug and the final evolution of Grubbin
  • Bio

Vikavolt is like a fortress that zooms through the forest, firing a beam of electricity from its mouth. Its huge jaws control the electricity it blasts out.

Vikavolt is adept at acrobatic flight maneuvers like tailspins and sharp turns. It can fly at high speeds even as it weaves its way through the complicated tangle of branches in the forest.

Vikavolt clasps Charjabug with its legs and uses it as an extra battery. Even if a battle drags on, it can use the electric power from Charjabug to continue firing off powerful moves. When Vikavolt is engaged in a fierce aerial fight, it releases Charjabug to make itself lighter and increase its mobility.

bruxish.png

• Bruxish
  • Category: Gnash Teeth Pokémon
  • Type: Water/Psychic
  • Height: 2′11″
  • WEIGHT: 41.9 lbs.
  • Abilities: Dazzling/Strong Jaw
  • Bio

Bruxish emits a strong psychic power from the protuberance on its head. When its opponents are bathed in this power, they’re stricken with terrible headaches and fall unconscious. As it emits its psychic power, it grinds its teeth loudly. When nearby Pokémon hear the sound of Bruxish’s teeth gnashing, they sense danger and flee immediately.

In the Alola region, lifeguards let Bruxish remain in their area to prevent dangerous Water-type Pokémon from gathering there.

Bruxish digs holes in the seafloor, leaving just the protuberance on its head exposed, while emitting a low level of psychic power. This serves as radar, so when it detects prey, it can leap to the attack!

Bruxish can have the new Ability Dazzling, which no other Pokémon has ever had. The Dazzling Ability prevents opponents from using priority moves that normally strike first.

cutiefly.png

• Cutiefly
  • Category: Bee Fly Pokémon
  • Type: Bug/Fairy
  • Height: 0′04"
  • Weight: 0.4 lbs.
  • Abilities: Honey Gather/Shield Dust
  • Bio

Cutiefly can detect the auras of living things, including people, Pokémon, and plants. They search out flowers by the color and brightness of their auras and then gather their nectar and pollen.

When living creatures are excited, it seems that their auras resemble those of flowers in full bloom. As a result, these Pokémon tend to gather near people or Pokémon feeling particularly happy or sad.

Cutiefly mostly live in the fields and meadows on the outskirts of cities, but they sometimes appear in towns and even inside buildings, drawn in by the emotions of the living beings of the community.

drampa.png

• Drampa
  • Category: Placid Pokémon
  • Type: Normal/Dragon
  • Height: 9′10″
  • Weight: 407.9 lbs.
  • Abilities: Berserk/Sap Sipper
  • Bio

Drampa are dragons that live alone in the mountains 10,000 feet above sea level. Since they can’t obtain the Berries they feed on at that range, they descend to the base of the mountains at dawn every day. Drampa love communicating with people and Pokémon.

Drampa are especially gentle with children and often appear at schools and parks where children gather.

While Drampa is usually a very gentle Pokémon, it can fly into a rage if a child it cares for is hurt in some way. The Dragon Breath move that it fires off at such times is powerful enough to blow down buildings!

Drampa can have the Berserk Ability, an Ability that no other Pokémon has ever had. With the Berserk Ability, this Pokémon’s Sp. Atk will go up by 1 when its HP drops below half.

togedemaru.png

• Togedemaru
  • Category: Roly-Poly Pokémon
  • Type: Electric/Steel
  • Height: 1′00″
  • Weight: 7.3 lbs.
  • Abilities: Iron Barbs/Lightning Rod
  • Bio

Togedemaru is the Roly-Poly Pokémon that gathers electricity and stores it. The long needle that grows from the back of its head works as a lightning rod to attract electricity. With this reservoir of electrical energy, Togedemaru is able to release powerful Electric-type attacks!

Covering its body is a pattern of fur with strands like needles. That means that Togedamaru can roll itself up, and presto—it's a ball of prickles!

Some skilled Trainers have developed the strategy of getting other Pokémon to unleash Electric-type attacks on Togedemaru, which absorbs their power to use in a response attack!

On days when lightning strikes, you can sometimes see Togedemaru gather and bristle up their needles, waiting to be struck by lightning.

tapukoko.pngCmSFYQIWcAAKwcM.jpg

• Tapu Koku TAPU KOKU
  • Category: Land Spirit Pokémon
  • Type: Electric/Fairy
  • Height: 5′11″
  • Weight: 45.2 lbs.
  • Ability: Electric Surge
  • Bio 

Tapu Koko is a special Pokémon that protects the area where it lives. It’s called the guardian deity of Melemele Island, one of the islands of the Alola region. Although it’s known as a guardian deity, it’s a surprisingly fickle Pokémon, and will not necessarily come to your aid if you need help.

Despite that, this Pokémon has a strong sense of curiosity. If it becomes interested in a person or in other Pokémon, it may come to play or battle with them.

Tapu Koko’s Ability is Electric Surge, an Ability never before seen in a Pokémon. Electric Surge fills the field around the Pokémon’s feet with electricity when it appears, raising the power of any Electric-type moves for Pokémon on the ground and preventing any Pokémon from falling asleep. Tapu Koko can learn a new move called Nature’s Madness, which slams into an opponent and reduces that Pokémon’s HP by half! Tapu Koko can store up electricity by enclosing itself in the shells on its arms. And it also appears to enter this form during other, special times...

Zygarde and its forms have also been added to the Official Sun/Moon Sites:

zygarde_core_cell.png

The Cores and Cells That Make Up Zygarde: Each of Zygarde’s forms are made by gathering together its cell-like components called Cores and Cells. Neither Cores nor Cells have the power to battle on their own as individuals. Only when gathered together can they take action—as Zygarde. 

Zygarde Core: Cores are cell-like components that make up Zygarde, and only a small number of them exist. Cores serve as brains, and by gathering Cells, they can create Zygarde’s different forms. Cores have their own wills and sometimes act on their own.

Zygarde’s Cells: Cells make up the parts of Zygarde other than its brain. There are many more Cells than there are Cores, and they exist all around the Alola region. Cells do not possess wills of their own. They act in accordance with the orders of a Core.

zygarde_10percent.png

• Zygarde 10% Forme
  • Category: Order Pokémon
  • Type: Dragon/Ground
  • Height: 3′11″
  • Weight: 73.9 lbs.
  • Abilities: Aura Break / Power Construct
  • Bio

When an emergency occurs, this form can take action separately from Zygarde 50% Forme, which comprises its main body. It has just a single Core performing the functions of its brain, so it can only maintain this form for a short period of time. 

During battle, it overwhelms foes with its sharp fangs. When running all out, its speed exceeds 60 mph. 

Thousand Arrows is a move that only Zygarde can learn. It’s a Ground-type move, but it can do damage even to Flying types and Pokémon with the Levitate Ability. After being hit by this move, Flying types and Pokémon with the Levitate Ability will also continue to take damage from other Ground-type moves used in subsequent turns. 

Thousand Waves is also a move that only Zygarde can learn. This move makes it impossible for an opponent to flee or be swapped out of battle.

zygarde.png

• Zygarde 50% Forme
  • Category: Order Pokémon
  • Height: 16′05″
  • Weight: 672.4 lbs.
  • Abilities: Aura Break/Power Construct
  • Bio

Zygarde monitors the Pokémon ecosystem to ensure that it’s not disrupted. Zygarde believes it has a duty to protect the ecosystem. While the power it possesses is overwhelming, this Forme contains only 50% of Zygarde’s cells. Out in the world, an equal amount of power waits to be brought together. 

A Zygarde 10% or Zygarde 50% with the Power Construct Ability will be able to change forms into its Complete Forme during battle if its HP drops below half.

zygarde_100percent.png

• Zygarde Complete Forme
  • Category: Order Pokémon
  • Height: 14′09″
  • Weight: 1,344.8 lbs.
  • Abilities: Power Construct
  • Bio 

Zygarde’s completed form is specialized for battle, enabling Zygarde to fight with its full power and fulfill its duty of protecting the Pokémon ecosystem. 

Core Enforcer is a move that only Zygarde can learn, and it can erase the Abilities of any opponents that have already used a move on the same turn that it’s used. 

Its wings and tail each have their own Core. Each Core serves as a brain and can make decisions and act independently.

CmSBQt0WIAAzlFm.jpg

Also, apparently riding Pokemon will be a returning feature. :D

• Thumbs Up 8

Man Drampa is so interesting. I hope it's not really late.

Also returning Stoutland is awesome. I love Gen 5 representation. Gives me hope that the other Gen stuff isn't overshadowed by Kanto Pokemon like in XY. I like Kanto Pokemon, but in the new games, we need representation from newer stuff or more obscure stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hopefully riding Pokemon controls better than XY. It was a pain walking around as Ryhorn and Mamoswine.

1 hour ago, Sonictrainer said:
  • TOGEDEMARU
  • CATEGORY    Roly-Poly Pokémon
  • Thumbs Up 8

I'm curious how Komala's ability will affect battle. Is it permanently asleep and require sleep talk to use moves or is it just immune to all status changes? Can it be forced awake from skill swap?

• Thumbs Up 1

"This Ability keeps it perpetually in a drowsing state, which prevents it from getting any other status conditions."

Is it kind of the same idea as the move Yawn but when Komala wakes up it remains drowsy for two turns and falls asleep again.

I think its going to just be immune to everything but Sleep.

Think of it as a reverse Insomnia.

So Komala does not wake up at all. Interesting to see how it works in battling. Vikavolt and Tapukoko are my new favorites. I like bug/electric typing  and Vikavolt's looks - Galvantula also being one of fave Gen V pokemon.