Awoo.

Pokemon Sun/Moon PLUS ULTRA (Alola Region Games)

Sonictrainer

1 hour ago, ThePrinceOfSaiyajins said:

According to Serebii, Shadow Shield is basically just Multiscale. In other words, the Pokemon takes less damage from attacks as long as it is at full health.

Yeah, not only that, but Full Metal Body is just Clear Body, from what they've described of it. It's kind of hilarious how they claim these are brand-new abilities when they literally aren't except for the name xP

That male protagonist is absolutely adorable. In fact, most of the human designs are pretty darn nice. That gives me a lot of hope, considering how some of the Generation VI NPC designs were kinda lacking.

It's weird that Solgaleo is weak to Fire when he represents the sun and Lunala is 4x weak to Dark, but whatever.

I'm liking the idea of traveling to the other islands of Alola region. I just hope we have the ability to choose the island we get to go to, instead of being forced to go to this island.

The Rotom Pokedex is quite a unique thing to have, but I can see it being intrusive and annoying when traveling.

So Kukui is our Pokemon Professor, then who's the other man then? Gym Leader?

So Lillie, the mysterious assistant, seems quite interesting, so I like to see how she'll turn out in the story. Actually, I hope the characters will be a bit fleshed out in this game, I know it's a futile thinking but still.

4 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

tumblr_o85cihv6Vt1t7p10mo1_1280.jpg

Here's a closeup of the...Mega Bracelet?

Maybe that particular shard is something special for the Legendary Pokemon. I guess? Maybe it could also function for Mega Evolution as well.

26 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

tumblr_o85cihv6Vt1t7p10mo1_1280.jpg

Here's a closeup of the...Mega Bracelet?

That gem's in the Japanese logo.  I've seen people swear blind it's from that one Pokemon gijinka manga and will be used to Synchro Evolve your Pokemon like Ash Greninja.

ROTOM!? I think that's the biggest surprise for me. I wasn't expecting to see any old Pokemon in any form.

Anyways yeah Solgalieo's typing does seem odd to me. They're nothing too new either since its shared with Metagross and Hoopa, not that this a bad thing. Just an odd choice.

I still love giant moon bat though.

Dat Rotom Pokedex...

I wonder how well that would translate into the anime series and how much it'll talk in it.

17 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

Dat Rotom Pokedex...

I wonder how well that would translate into the anime series and how much it'll talk in it.

After the episode where Rotom turned an elevator into a time machine, I'm not worried.

fakeathon_day_1___rowlet_evolution_by_si

Also some cool Rowlet Evolution Speculation Fanart by SirAquakip

Okay, uh, let me see if I can fathom something out of why Solgaleo is Psychic/Steel.

Hmm...'It is referred to with reverence as “the beast that devours the sun".'

Right...let's try some basic nuclear physics here. 

So people know about nuclear fusion, correct? It's what stars do and we're desperate trying to do. At the most recognisable base, two Hydrogens are fused to make Helium. This puts out a lot more energy than is put in, so it fuels the star. However, Hydrogen to Helium is hardly the only fusion that happens. Helium can fuse with other atoms to make bigger elements, and those can fuse with other to make bigger element, and so on. These aren't so bad at first, because they still create more energy than it takes to make them. 

However, there is a point where producing an element is a sign of something seriously wrong with the star, and that point is when it's giving out Iron. This is the threshold that means the star is starting to use more energy to fuse elements than it gets out of it. A lot of Iron, and you've got a sure sign of the star going supernova and dying very quickly. It's also only in supernova where it'll make bigger elements like Gold and Uranium, but only because of the pressure of the star collapsing in on itself. There's a reason it's nicknamed the Star Killer (although it can only Iron it fused itself; chucking Iron onto a star would vapourise it). And devouring the Sun would be tantamount to killing it, right?

Although if not that, I wouldn't have a clue why it's Steel type.

As for Lunala not being Dark? Well that's easy; that makes zero sense in Japan, where the Dark type is the Evil type. Darkness and Evil often overlap in Pokemon, but they're still not synonymous. Cresselia has the same dream association as Darkrai, for example, but only Darkrai is Dark type because he's a dream dick. 

Lunala's typing also makes sense, given that many Ghost-type moves involve shadows. (Shadow Ball, Claw, Punch, Sneak, Force etc.) And considering how shadows are often associated with darkness, much like the appearance of the Moon...

Oh, something I just realised: Lunala's Ghost-type technically gives it a slight advantage over Solgaleo (assuming that the Steel-type remains as it is now). Of course, this can all change depending on Moves and Stats, but as far as we know right now, Lunala might end up being the Dialga/Xerneas of Gen 7 Mascots.

What about the Fairy-type?  Several Fairy-type attacks and Pokemon reference the Moon.  Or the Flying-type, given that Lunala is basically a big pair of bat-like wings?

Psychic so often seems to be a type applied to legendaries when the developers don't actually have a clear idea of what the creature actually does.

Solgaleo makes sense being part steel because I was previously aware of things like star densities and elements and so forth. But psychic?... Why? A Fire/Steel Pokemon would've been more awesome. Lunala I'm ambivalent on. Psychic, Ghost, and Fairy would've been interchangeable types for it to have for me.

Oh, that bracelet is easily explained.

It's for breakthrough evolution, hence the design/colors.

So there are at least three things that would explain why Solgaleo's partially a Steel-type Pokémon: dying stars and built up Iron (as mentioned above), solar flares, and alchemy.

Sun spots and solar flares are caused by a given star/the sun's own magnetic field, which is reportedly extremely powerful. Plus, magnetism is a trait shared among established Steel types like Probopass, Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone, and Beldum/Metang/Metagross. It also helps that Solgaleo's signature Sunsteel Strike looks like a solar flare in action!

As for alchemy, the lion exists as a known motif in the field. Most famously, it is associated with the image of a green lion devouring the sun: the alchemical symbol for the purification of metals. Hence, the Steel type and "Full Metal Body" ability come into play again, just as they do with the dying star theory behind Solgaleo's typing.

The name Solgaleo? Triple pun for sun, lion, and Galileo Galilei, the dubbed "father of observational astronomy!"

0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif

That's a quadruple-layer mind-blow right there. God damn, Masuda. God damn.

To explain why they went with Psychic for its second type instead of Fire, on the other hand, Pokémon thought to be extraterrestrial (and some straight up space Pokémon) are usually known to be Psychic-type: Staryu, Solrock, Lunatone, Jirachi, Deoxys, Beheeyem, and so on. Given its status as "the emissary of the sun" and that we've already got two out-of-this-world approaches to explain the Legendary's typing... you gotta admit, it does make some sense at the end of the day. :v

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way, but I'm a bit disappointed we're (presumably) not getting a "Cosmic / Space / whatever" type since it'd be the perfect time for it. It would fit for both of these Legendaries, and there's a decent number of already existing Pokemon that could be easily fit in that type. Not the end of the world of course, but it could've been neat.

I think if there should be an additional type, it should be Sound. Plenty of Pokemon and moves would fit it.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I think if there should be an additional type, it should be Sound. Plenty of Pokemon and moves would fit it.

This creature would be such a beast sound Pokemon. :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Sound's occurred to me before, too.  The only issue I can think of is that it might be a bit too broad, but a lot of the things it would encompass are presently Normal-type, so it might not be much of a loss.

After around a day to mull over it, I'm coming to the conclusion that I'm a bit concerned about the Sun/Moon legendaries.  I like their designs a lot, their names are good, but the Psychic type seems like a fairly arbitrary addition to their typings ahead of more relevant possibilities, and added to the fact that their abilities are just renames of existing abilities that don't have anything to do with the sun or the moon either is giving Solgaleo and Lunala something of a generic feel to me, where they should really be more integrated with the concepts of the Sun and the Moon.  I feel like they've botched the gameplay angle, in short.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/2/2016 at 9:58 AM, Tracker said:

Cj9RRoUWsAIS0_V.jpg:large

Ah yes, my favourite Tekken character, Lili, is finally in Pokemon.

...oh, uh, Lillie.

Seriously given Bamco just did Pokken I refuse to see this as coincidence even though that's probably exactly what it is

Oh shit! How did I not notice that when first seeing Lillie?! Wow, I  must've been really tired when I made my post here earlier.

Two more Pokemon just got revealed by CoroCoro!

13z2x4m.jpg

First up is Nekkoala, the Contagious Dream Pokemon who is a Normal-type and has the ability Definite Sleep, allowing it to be immune to every status but Sleep.

2mg59x0.jpg

313hw1l.jpg

Second one is Iwanko, who is our mysterious butt from the footage and is a Rock-type! It's the Deep Eye Pokemon and its abilities are Keen Eye or Vital Spirit.

Definitely wasn't expecting more information so soon, but cool stuff! I love that the dog is a Rock-type. Always enjoy unorthodox-looking Pokemon of a specific type.

• Thumbs Up 4